Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

4 - No animes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The poll is for favorite, not best, inevitable crybabies and the one guy who already did.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I remember Daredevil having a really strong start with the first half and then blurring into nothing in the last 6 episodes. And the DD suit near the finale looks ridiculous.

Also I'm halfway through 12 Monkeys and it's a fun show. I think the people making Nikita really liked working together and they all decided to do another show without leaving Canada. Speaking of Canada I am sick of seeing that same Canadian forest.

It basically skips over the climax.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MTV makes dumb teen dramas.

Calling an MTV show a "CW teen drama" is like calling left Twix right Twix.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

There really wasn't anything substantive with the clips, just some quick action shots and people yelling.

Throw in an overdone supporting character and that's an entire episode of Archer lately.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You left out Pam, the worst character now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Pam: *eats cocaine, laughs*

That's actually what flipped the switch for me.

The sound they used for her eating that season was so loving irritating I couldn't stand it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree except I feel it never really became the cop Parks it, in my mind, should have been. I think I've always had a vague disappointment with it for that but it's been a good enough show anyway for me not to care until now.

Escobarbarian posted:

Two thirds in and the episode got bad again

Sounds like it did become cop Parks then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

blue squares posted:

it implies sucking cock is something shameworthy, when in fact its not; its great

People didn't wash much in the Deadwood era.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oral History of Blossom is my favorite Big Bang Theory episode.

Edit: Aww, I mixed up BBT and Community's episode name gimmicks.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 9, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they remake The Accused the pinball scene will use that machine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

I didn't think PERSON OF INTEREST was doing that bad ratings wise, so why is it getting hosed around so much?

Abrams confirmed it's likely to get cancelled after the this season, but said that it's a shame because the story they had planned for after that sounded amazing. For a show that I barely watched when it started (As in I cared little for it) it got drat good. It'll be a shame to see it go.

They've gone down and it costs too much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DurosKlav posted:

Make it stop! MAKE IT STOPPPP!

I cant wait for the comic book movie/tv show crash. I have a feeling that it will at least start this year because of over saturation.

Read an article about upcoming movies in 2016 and there were 7 comic book movies. Add the billion loving tv shows and surely its going to crash soon.

Old Man Yells At Cloud.jpg

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DurosKlav posted:

What previous year had 7 comic book movies coming out in a single year, plus just as many if not more different tv shows? It will happen its just a matter of when and I have no doubt it will be soon.

You're going to have to reach way back for this one, but 2015.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Ant Man bombed by marvel standards

It did, but Ant Man was also a relic of the pre-MCU and the old deal Marvel had before they went at it on their own.

Modern Marvel would never tap Ant Man for a movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

poo poo, I meant to say 2014.

Big Hero 6, Cap 2, Guardians, Sin City, Spider-Man 2, TMNT, and X-Men.

Hercules and I, Frankenstein were apparently based on comics too so actually 9.

Technically 300 even but I think in that case the comic is only happening because of the movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

While superhero can be a genre, it doesn't have to.

You could have done Cap 2 as a spy or military movie starring Matt Damon or something, Days of Future Past is Terminator, Ant Man follows the same structure as most heist movies, etc.

As long as the audience doesn't feel like they're seeing the same movie each time, it won't be the number that kills it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

ABC actually did the smart thing by airing it out of order, because it paced things a bit better. They tried to get that show an audience at least, I don't know why it didn't gel with a mass audience who wanted a new Friends. I guess it was just a little too snarky, but that's why I liked it.

I didn't think a show could make me 180 on my opinion of daughter-of-Bauer, but HE was that show.

Alex and Dave's friendship jumps a bit because of it but it's not a big deal.

And he has the food truck before he buys the food truck but it's a sitcom so it doesn't matter much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are the Golden Globes one of the ones where wannabe nominees submit to a specific category?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think the Golden Globes should be honoring British stuff because nobody cares and they don't even talk right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

blue squares posted:

Look its a fun show but it's nowhere close to this. There's no social commentary or real statements on life in general. It's good, but its just entertainment. It's the difference between true literature and great genre novels. Genre novels are a blast, and I love them, but they are more concerned with telling a story within their genre than they are at truly examining society, "the human condition" and all that

Exactly. That's why it's the best.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The American one is better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/jessica-jones-narcos-master-of-none-narcos-ratings-netflix-1201679334/

Can someone explain what this means? Like, is this spyware installed on phones that they're using to track viewership info, and does it only track what's watched on the phone or is it always-on listening like google now? Or is this some kind of opt-in service like Nielsen boxes where they use the data to extrapolate on viewing habits of the general public?

Google Now itself actually includes that feature.

It listens to what you're watching and figures out your favorite shows and stuff from that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Netflix still got your subscription money and the content you watched still got the viewership credit, that's like the opposite of piracy.

They're mad because if you watch US Netflix from Canada, it's like NBC or CBS got paid for the Big Bang Theory episodes you watched instead of CTV even though it doesn't work that way at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

Meh, they say things like this a couple of times a year and make some half-hearted change that's circumvented the next day. I suspect it's just to placate the distributors. Netflix knows they'd lose customers if you could only watch shows from your own country. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if announcements like this are stealth advertising the fact that it's possible.

That's because all they've been doing until now is blocking known exit points for proxies, VPNs etc.

They have always had the option to lock you to content from your billing address, they just haven't. If they go that route that's it, you're done.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

On Amazon/PSN you can circumvent this by using a fake US address, they would have to go after proxies

If your credit card security sucks, which luckily for many people it does, that can work.

For most you need a valid US payment method.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I have a bunch of things that rely on a US address, where I provide one that I'm allowed to but doesn't have any association to my card. Even Adobe doesn't check this. It's pretty great for getting US pricing on things.

Lots of places don't care because they're the vendor in either case. Bestbuy even straight up has a page telling you what fake billing address to use if you want to buy on .com with a card from outside the US.

Anything dealing with licensing though usually has to at a bare minimum require you to have a valid payment method for that country. Even if it's just a gift card.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

blue squares posted:

I've never heard of Manhattan or Haven. Manhatten is straightforward enough to understand, but what's Haven about?

Haven is Eureka but not a comedy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jim Carrey has killed more children than John Landis.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

less laughter posted:

Yeah, that was Jessica Jones's (the show, not the titular character) only flaw IMO. Too much Jessica investigating (which in this case meant dialogue-free, boring walking-around-scenes that drag on and on) in the early episodes. While in-character, it just felt like unnecessary padding to fill the 13-episode order. With chaff like that cut out the story would have fit in 10 flawless episodes.

It's not like the count was sprung on them. It was set even before day one, they just failed to deliver.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

So that Shadow Hunter Netflix Original show is pretty bad right? Couldn't it make through the first episode, it's like a hipster Buffy the Vampire.

edit: correction, it apparently is a Netflix exclusive show in these parts, but in America it's from a channel called Freeform?

Freeform is the former ABC Family.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

Yeah I'm at episode 9 and I think I'm ready to call it quits with Jessica Jones. Now I'm even more confused at how it made #2 at the end of the TV/IV list.

Are you new here? We have like 3 threads where some guy nobody likes with bad opinions reviews TV shows.

High class this ain't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Poor Josh Lyman got himself autobanned trying to make an OP for it.

He must have used the HOT tag.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Just lol if you think fox is going to let a TV show break the mold. Still not going to hold my breath on lucifer being anything but cop drama with the devil.

It's not Fox's mold though. If it was on CBS, maybe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So you're saying it's not true?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

No, not tying to start a fight. It's absolutely true that a lot of high-level scientific explanations are really all based on conjecture and theories, and may never actually be provable as true. They're drat good explanations, posited by intelligent people with a foundation in observable and provable science, but still require faith--that what is being extrapolated is correct--in order to believe they happened.

Don't get me wrong--I'm an atheist myself--but there is absolutely an aspect of faith inherent in scientific theory.

Yeah but there's also a whole lot of proven science.

Pretty big difference between what you said in the first post and second.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

the hilarious thing about lost is they managed to tack in the world's laziest twist (they're all dead!!!!!) to an already silly ending through the use of the flash-sideways

No, it was "they all die eventually at different points in time after living their lives."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

I couldn't believe this so I looked it up, and it's even more surprising that it is 15 episodes over 4 years. They only had one episode for all of 1993? British TV scheduling is so goddamn weird.

And one of them is a clip show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Well, Netflix has blocked Unblock-US from working for me. Two episodes before I finished The 100. Guess I'll just go back to torrenting and cancel my subscription.

Their support is really lovely right now too. The entire Netflix Q&A section is responses of "Hi we've sent you a private email, please reply!" instead of just posting something other people can read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

The morality of Once Upon a Time is so roundly hosed that I can't imagine how anyone could possibly watch that show if they weren't able to turn that part of their brain off. Like... Regina's a loving mass murderer terrorist evil motherfucking psycho and she's nothing compared to Rumple. And they're just like "well, you did something good and you're family and its not like there's any actual authority or government or rule of law in our magical town so whatever the gently caress."

I actually think part of the fun of the show is when a new character shows up and they're like "HOLY gently caress, ITS THE EVIL QUEEN! SHE MURDERED MY ENTIRE FAMILY!" and the Charmings just go "No, its ok. She adopted a kid and her heart grew three sizes so now its all cool." Its just so hosed up you have to laugh.

Well, they are fairytale characters.

• Locked thread