Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am surprised they banked on Ren as visually he isn't very interesting. His light saber gimmick is boring and his armor looks like a low rent Revan knockoff.

Like usual, this doesn't reflect reality.

There was a ton of excitement about his look and lightsaber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People only liked Vader because of visuals as well. At least at first.

Well combined with his voice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aphrodite posted:

Like usual, this doesn't reflect reality.

I have yet to see anyone hyped for Ren. I sure wasn't. Which is a shame because I actually liked how Ren turned out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

I was really stunned stupid when I first saw his lightsaber, but I actually came around to it since.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Lightning Lord posted:

I think it's more what a hit Darth Vader and Darth Maul were in terms of merchandising. They were expecting that trend to just repeat.

And to their credit, Ren was somewhat popular. It's just that "Vader fanboy villain" has its limits, and Rey and Fin were just inherently way more interesting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

And to their credit, Ren was somewhat popular. It's just that "Vader fanboy villain" has its limits, and Rey and Fin were just inherently way more interesting.

John Boyega was pretty fantastic. Daisy Ridley was flat in pretty much every one of her scenes and Adam Driver is just terrible.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

I was really stunned stupid when I first saw his lightsaber, but I actually came around to it since.

I like it because it's pretty much what some stupid kid who thinks to himself "this will be so badass" would use. It's perfect for the character.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

- Guy who used a Triumph video as a response.

I mean if you wanna like it because it makes dumb nerds mad, go ahead, but you can admit it loving sucks and the writer is probably retarded

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SunAndSpring posted:

I mean if you wanna like it because it makes dumb nerds mad, go ahead, but you can admit it loving sucks and the writer is probably retarded
It has clearly infuriated you and you're sorta telling us exactly what conclusion to draw from that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am surprised they banked on Ren as visually he isn't very interesting. His light saber gimmick is boring and his armor looks like a low rent Revan knockoff.

Who's Revan

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

She's one of the ladies on The View.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

A character in the KotOR games.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A character in the KotOR games.

That's looks dumb. Kylo Ren has a better design, IMO

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

boom boom boom posted:

There are (deliberate or accidental) similarities in the designs, especially when you look at concept art or things that weren't rendered in a decade+ old engine.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's so Revan

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

They aren't different enough to tell. Though that could be because both designs are rather bland.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CharlestheHammer posted:

They aren't different enough to tell. Though that could be because both designs are rather bland.

Ren's outfit isn't dumb sci-fi armor. It's just clothes and a mask.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Which is what Revans is.

Though yeah Rens is a little blander.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is what Revans is.

It's got a chestplate and gauntlets, it's armor.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

We'll sort of its Jedi robe armor. Which makes sense as we only see him wearing that during his backstory, which involves a war.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

It has clearly infuriated you and you're sorta telling us exactly what conclusion to draw from that.

If that's what you wanna think, man. It's still a poo poo comic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nah at the very worst its Mediocre.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah at the very worst its Mediocre.

Eh, could be. I don't read it. Maybe the writer just had a bad day or something when they made that page

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Not to interrupt, but I hope you two continue this until you destroy eachother in a poo poo posting singularity.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Die Laughing posted:

Not to interrupt, but I hope you two continue this until you destroy eachother in a poo poo posting singularity.

Nah, I'm done.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

You can join if you want, no need to neg me.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I like Revan and Kylo Ren's character designs, and Angela: Queen of Hel. Discuss.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Unironically liking things is good and cool and more people should do it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Both Revans and RENs designs get the job they are trying to do done, keeping their identities secret until the plot calls them to be revealed, but not much else.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Maybe you'll like Revan's design better removed from ancient graphics.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Someone can be on the same side as something politically and still find it kind of pandering and poorly written.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

God drat it star wars ruins everything. I hate you all right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Darth Revan sucks because one of the like 4 people who cosplays that in the 501st beat the gently caress out of a girl and got away with it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the second KOTOR game, all these characters pontificate on how Revan was such a classic legend, but then all the fans fully bought into it, and now Revan has his own sub-fandom nearly as annoying as the one that thinks the MANDOS are at least as important to the storyline as the Jedi and the Sith.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

God drat it star wars ruins everything. I hate you all right now.

Let's talk about mummies, the most underused stock monsters. Mumm-Ra: obviously the best, and the Mummies Alive! get some credit for trying. Are there any good mummy-based superhero characters? N'kantu just kind of blandly exists, so I'm hoping for others.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Squizzle posted:

Let's talk about mummies, the most underused stock monsters. Mumm-Ra: obviously the best, and the Mummies Alive! get some credit for trying. Are there any good mummy-based superhero characters? N'kantu just kind of blandly exists, so I'm hoping for others.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I miss Liesmith, one of TG's best posters.

Liesmith posted:

style is everything and mummies have got it. Meanwhile the "best" liches are floating jeweled skulls which is so nouveau riche they put it in a 50 cent videogame

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is Ozymandias from Marvel a mummy? He's sort of a stone crypt person.

For that matter Apocalypse is sort of mummy-ish.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the second KOTOR game, all these characters pontificate on how Revan was such a classic legend, but then all the fans fully bought into it, and now Revan has his own sub-fandom nearly as annoying as the one that thinks the MANDOS are at least as important to the storyline as the Jedi and the Sith.

I wonder if those fans saw him in TOR, where it's revealed he's a scraggly bearded pale dork and you can loot his pants after you kill him in a boss fight.

God drat did TOR suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Both Revans and RENs designs get the job they are trying to do done, keeping their identities secret until the plot calls them to be revealed, but not much else.
Revan's does that, but not Ren's. The audience would have learned nothing from his face, nor would any of the characters that interacted with him prior to the reveal (which was in dialogue) as they either already knew who he was or wouldn't know, regardless.

• Locked thread