Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ren's mask does a terrific job of making him look like a space opera villain instead of a prime wedgie target.

e: And back to the important topic:

Travis343 posted:

Is Ozymandias from Marvel a mummy? He's sort of a stone crypt person.

For that matter Apocalypse is sort of mummy-ish.

Ozymandias is halfway between an ushabti and one of those enormo statues at e.g. Luxor.

(Tangent: In the Dark Angel Saga, one of Apocalypse's titles is "Master of the Seven Seeds". Life, Death, three more horsemen, and I'm thinking that Ozymandias has to be one of the other two. Archangel slots Storm into the Stone Assistant Person role offscreen, so it's clearly not something unique to Ozy Classic.)

And :agreed: on Apocalypse. One thing I liked on X-Men: Evolution was how Apocalypse's initial design emphasized his mummacular Egyptitude. That needs more emphasis in general.

My position is: more mummies—always the right choice.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Daisy Ridley was flat in pretty much every one of her scenes and Adam Driver is just terrible.

Good Lord.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wendell posted:

Good Lord.

Are you seriously going to say she's a great actress? Her delivery was boring and flat and her emotional range is blank face and sobbing.

Oh for gently caress's sake do you think I was talking about her body? If so grow the gently caress up goon.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"her boobs did not fluctuate on a scene-by-scene basis, 3/10"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

J. J. Abrams has trouble directing any plot beat or emotion that can't be expressed as an action set piece. You can't blame the actors for that.

All super-mummies are by definition good and cool, but I must say: bandage-based mummy powers are the laziest low-hanging mummyfruit.

Just, eeeeeh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endless Mike posted:

Revan's does that, but not Ren's. The audience would have learned nothing from his face, nor would any of the characters that interacted with him prior to the reveal (which was in dialogue) as they either already knew who he was or wouldn't know, regardless.

Well yeah for who he really was but a lot of people thought he was gonna be Luke or something.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Are you seriously going to say she's a great actress? Her delivery was boring and flat and her emotional range is blank face and sobbing.

Oh for gently caress's sake do you think I was talking about her body? If so grow the gently caress up goon.

No, just that you are wrong and weird and endlessly negative.

Edit: If anything she was overly-emotive, not wooden. And Adam Driver was very good. You are just a very tiresomely negative individual.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 30, 2016

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
All of my friends' kids were very excited about Kylo Ren before the movie came out and very excited about Rey after it came out, and, like, say what you will about the grim realities of marketing to children but I didn't catch any of them poring over stills of KOTOR 2 when they were deciding who was going to play who when they broke out the toy lightsabers. As far as I can tell, to the 7-year old brain "lightsaber with lightsabers coming out of the sides" is the dopest thing ever conceived. On a related note Mummies Alive was fine but Skeleton Warriors had the most gnarly and gross looking toys and I always seethed with envy at the kid on my bus route who had them all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I can't really think of a lot of mummies in comic books. I just keep thinking of that one from Darkstalkers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Holy gently caress.

Feeling this Age of Skeletons action p. hard. Might be time to stop the old and busted AD or CE count, and move to a skeleton calendar

skelendar

:skeltal:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

I can't really think of a lot of mummies in comic books. I just keep thinking of that one from Darkstalkers.

I guess there's always Mummymon.

Mods, ban for anime.

And for unironic GeoCities.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

I guess there's always Mummymon.

Mods, ban for anime.

And for unironic GeoCities.

If capture monster games are fair game there's at least one mummy Pokemon.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
What about Tutenstein?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
He's not a comic book character but lots of Marvel characters got to punch Anakaris in the face in MvC2.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Lightning Lord posted:

Maybe you'll like Revan's design better removed from ancient graphics.

I never finished KOTOR2 but does Reven split into two halves where the smiley face is?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If Hawkman doesn't have a dedicated mummy villain the world ought to be ashamed.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

If capture monster games are fair game there's at least one mummy Pokemon.

:yeah: This poking monster is mummyproved.

Ferrule posted:

What about Tutenstein?

:yeah: No question, this mummy is a mummy, and has my definite mummyproval.

Starsnostars posted:

He's not a comic book character but lots of Marvel characters got to punch Anakaris in the face in MvC2.

:hellyeah: While I feel that mummy/gunslinger is a more natural rivalry (both have to worry about scorpions), this mummy/samurai competition is intriguing. In particular, this samurai's silverness nicely complements mummies' natural affinity for gold.

Archyduke posted:

If Hawkman doesn't have a dedicated mummy villain the world ought to be ashamed.

But honestly, Hawkman is just a pile of reasons to feel shame, arranged to somewhat resemble a man who somewhat resembles a bird.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

But honestly, Hawkman is just a pile of reasons to feel shame, arranged to somewhat resemble a man who somewhat resembles a bird.

I like Hawkman. :(

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I only know Hawkman from the TV shows, so as far as I know, Hawkman is the absolute worst. Hawk from Hawk and Dove is significantly better than Hawkman

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They would both probably vote Trump.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Hawk would put a big Trump bumper sticker on his car and enjoy getting in arguments with Sanders supporters. Hawkman would vote Trump but tell women he's voting for Clinton

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hawk votes Trump; Hawkman votes Kasich but wishes Lindsey Graham had stayed in, and he spent like a week and a half talking up Jim Webb to everyone else in the Hall of Justice.

Both are straight-ticket Republicans in the general, except Hawkman makes a big deal about how he sometimes votes for Democrats for things like county ombudsman or city planning commission.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hawkman voted for Reagan in primary in 1968, then voted for Nixon in the general. Hawk voted for Reagan in the primary in 1968, but in the general he voted for Wallace.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Hawkman thinks we almost know what happened in Benghazi, but we just need one more hearing to make sure. Hawk doesn't really care what happened in Benghazi, he thinks that America shouldn't have embassies in any nation unless that nation already unconditionally loves/sumbits to the will of America.

(I actually haven't read much if anything with Hawkman or Hawk, I just know them mostly through the Justice League cartoon and the CW DC shows, where Hawkman is annoying, boring, and ties Hawkgirl down with his boring plots, and Hawk is just really bland to me)

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Hawkman voted for Reagan in 2012 and when told that he was dead winked and said, 'Not in my TRUE timeline!'.

E: Hawk is Reagan but only because people figured out he was supposed to be Captain Atom.

Black Lighter fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 30, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hawkman calls all Asian people "Chinese", describes Hispanic and Latino people as "Spanish", and says "the Blacks". Every time Hawk says anything about minorities, his brother gets very very upset, so he tries to avoid those topics

when he's sober.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

WickedHate posted:

I like Hawkman. :(
:(:respek::(

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hawkman was cool when I was a little kid and I had his Super Powers figure, but had never read an actual comic book with him in it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DrProsek posted:

Hawkman thinks we almost know what happened in Benghazi, but we just need one more hearing to make sure. Hawk doesn't really care what happened in Benghazi, he thinks that America shouldn't have embassies in any nation unless that nation already unconditionally loves/sumbits to the will of America.

(I actually haven't read much if anything with Hawkman or Hawk, I just know them mostly through the Justice League cartoon and the CW DC shows, where Hawkman is annoying, boring, and ties Hawkgirl down with his boring plots, and Hawk is just really bland to me)

I actually just recently read the old Hawk and Dove comic, and it's not bad. Hawk is a pretty fun character. There's this one weird arc where they go to a crazy fantasy world, and an old wizard due is like, "we call this memory metal, it can take the shape of whatever the wielder desires" and hawk says "I hope you got a lot of that stuff" and the next page he's leading an army of the fantasy people but now they have helicopters and machine guns.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Did the memory metal also turn into gunpowder and fuel?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I don't care

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My favorite thing about Hawkman is that he lets the Atom hang out on his shoulder. It helped Hawkman stand out when he was looking useless next to Superman and Green Lantern.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It broke Aquaman's heart every time someone would say he was the joke of the Justice League when Hawkman was standing right there next to him. The cartoon making Hawkgirl interesting tricked people into thinking Hawkman was also interesting when he never was. His backstory is such a convoluted mess it's a wonder he's not a Summers brother.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh yeah and by the way since it's 1/30 and we're a day and a half away from February...

Squizzle posted:

Heeeeey X-O, are we still on for monthly chat threads? Or do we have to spend the next two weeks pleading the case for them?

Since you brought it back up and got my attention you get to make the February thread. Just be on time and I'll make sure it's stuck up top eventually. If you don't want to then it's for you to pass on.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hawkman's dope. the Golden & Silver age stuff is great (and the Silver age stuff features some of Joe Kubert's best work), the Geoff Johns/James Robinson run's really good, the Palmiotti run after that is good too as i recall. never read the Hawkworld stuff but i've heard good things.

he's basically Indiana Jones but flies around and clubs people with a mace, what's not to like?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Hawkman was cool when he was in a comic called Hawkworld (seriously check out the mini and ongoing) but sadly he is no longer in a comic called Hawkworld so he is no longer cool.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Oh yeah and by the way since it's 1/30 and we're a day and a half away from February...

Since you brought it back up and got my attention you get to make the February thread. Just be on time and I'll make sure it's stuck up top eventually. If you don't want to then it's for you to pass on.

I'm on it, Chief. :patriot:

Get ready for a chat thread started to honor Black History Month with its initial focus:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So by Black History Month you just mean "people who dress in black"?

(JLElite owned)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

It broke Aquaman's heart every time someone would say he was the joke of the Justice League when Hawkman was standing right there next to him. The cartoon making Hawkgirl interesting tricked people into thinking Hawkman was also interesting when he never was. His backstory is such a convoluted mess it's a wonder he's not a Summers brother.

The Summers would be so much cooler if the third was Adam X and not Vulcan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-O posted:

The problem with the Hawkpeople is that their power is "can fly" which is pretty worthless when just about everyone else can do it too.

• Locked thread