Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The problem with the Hawkpeople is that their power is "can fly" which is pretty worthless when just about everyone else can do it too.

as opposed to Batman, whose power is literally nothing

Hawkman rules Batman drools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

So by Black History Month you just mean "people who dress in black"?

Vera and Manchester. :classiclol:

Endless Mike posted:

(JLElite owned)

STRONGLY :agreed:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

The Summers would be so much cooler if the third was Adam X and not Vulcan.

As terrible as everything involved in X-Men: The End is, I was at least open to the idea that Gambit was secretly the third brother.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Gavok posted:

As terrible as everything involved in X-Men: The End is, I was at least open to the idea that Gambit was secretly the third brother.

Gambit being a Summers Brother would be terrible in the most perfect way.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm surprised that they haven't done a story about Cyclops going back in time, settling down with a wife and kids, then going back into the future to discover that most Mutants are directly descended from him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

I'm surprised that they haven't done a story about Cyclops going back in time, settling down with a wife and kids, then going back into the future to discover that most Mutants are directly descended from him.

Isn't this the plot of The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix II?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wendell posted:

No, just that you are wrong and weird and endlessly negative.

Edit: If anything she was overly-emotive, not wooden. And Adam Driver was very good. You are just a very tiresomely negative individual.

Then put me on ignore or shut up.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

The problem with the Hawkpeople is that their power is "can fly" which is pretty worthless when just about everyone else can do it too.
Pretty much all the other Golden Age characters in DC got a significant Silver Age makeover; the Atom instead of being a guy who was short could shrink now and was a scientist, he Flash was a lot faster and now was all about Science~!, Green Lantern got an entire Sci-Fi mythos stapled onto 'square-jawed white guy with a magic ring'. Hawkman and Hawkgirl got... we're now from space, I guess? It is lazy and it wasn't until way later (Hawkworld and things) that anybody tried to do something with them.

Honestly, I've always wondered if the lack of a Silver Age Science themed rewrite has significantly hurt Wonder Woman over the years, too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I always thought Hawk & Dove were interesting concepts as heroes. Like, they're empowered by separate deities both seeking justice, just one wants a liiiitle harsher justice and one would rather talk things out instead of fight. I also really like the idea that they keep each other in check and without Dove, Hawk would go war-crazy and kill motherfuckers. (I know this happened in comics and it was apparently bad but I still think it's an interesting concept)

Oh but Hawkman can just gently caress right off.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I only care about Hawkman for two reasons: John Ostrander and Tim Truman on Hawkworld, and Joe Kubert. Also, Hawkman may lack a mummy villain but he almost makes up for it with the Gentleman Ghost.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hawkman being an alien is so much more interesting than the backstory he usually has.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Hawkman being an alien is so much more interesting than the backstory he usually has.

Yeah, Silver Age Hawkman is cool. I don't give a gently caress about the reincarnation stuff or any of that, but that's all anyone talks about these days.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hawks are garbage tier.

You only use a hawk when you couldn't get an eagle or a falcon or something.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, Silver Age Hawkman is cool. I don't give a gently caress about the reincarnation stuff or any of that, but that's all anyone talks about these days.

Probably because Geoff Johns cared a lot.

Anyway Joe Kubert owns should be the real takeaway here.

Aphrodite posted:

Hawks are garbage tier.

You only use a hawk when you couldn't get an eagle or a falcon or something.

If Flash Gordon never existed he might have been Falconman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the issue is that he got a weird alien background but still just looked the same and just used a mace.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I think the issue is that he got a weird alien background but still just looked the same and just used a mace.

If he used rayguns or whatever, he'd just be Adam Strange. That might be the true "problem" with the character in terms of his relation to the rest of the universe. He's essentially a pulp character running around with Superman. People probably wouldn't be shittalking him all the time if he stayed off in his own section of the DCU more, having shadow wars with Thanagarian rogues. But then we'd lose his relationship with the Atom and beef with Green Arrow, so that's no good either.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Lord posted:

That might be the true "problem" with the character in terms of his relation to the rest of the universe. He's essentially a pulp character running around with Superman.

Batman is pulp. Saying all he does is fly is like saying all Batman does is have a bunch of gadgets. If he's useless because other characters can fly Batman is even more useless because they can all walk(sorry, Oracle).

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Batman is pulp. Saying all he does is fly is like saying all Batman does is have a bunch of gadgets. If he's useless because other characters can fly Batman is even more useless because they can all walk(sorry, Oracle).

Obviously "Hawkman flies, lol" is garbage out of a circa 2007 iMockery article but I'm trying to figure out where that comes from. I personally think he works well as a Justice League member in the Satellite period for the reasons I said above

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Sorry, that wasn't all directed at you personally.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Maybe the real reason Justice League members who aren't hyper powerful or Batman get it worse than anyone else is a combination of Superman being around and Superfriends? You generally don't see people giving Avengers characters who aren't Thor or Iron Man grief, even before the movies.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hawkeye gets an earful, though oddly not Black Widow. Neither does Green Arrow, but I guess the perception of him is Batman With Arrows, whereas Hawkeye is seen more as just Man With Arrows.

Ant Man used to but I'm sure the movie probably changed that around. I don't think the average comedy writer of the past couple of decades really understood that he's basically super strong when tiny.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Hawkman works as the gruff warrior to Green Arrows liberal. They would have made a much better road buddy team than Green Arrow and Green Lantern.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lightning Lord posted:

Probably because Geoff Johns cared a lot.

How many characters will he ruin?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Hawkman works as the gruff warrior to Green Arrows liberal. They would have made a much better road buddy team than Green Arrow and Green Lantern.

I kinda hate Hawkman and I'm sad this doesn't exist. I actually don't hate Hawkman at all, I just liked Hawkgirl in the Timm/Dinni stuff and thought she worked better without a male counterpart.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

That one had a big pile of bullshit and he was in limbo until he was brought back in JSA

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Honestly you could make a whole story out of 'okay, so if the pharaoh Katar reincarnated as a member of an alien race, what about OTHER alien races'
like just do a space story in the new 52 where he's trying to remember his whole history and he and hawkgirl have been, at one point or another, a pair of lovers from an alien race that became legendary warriors on a whole BUNCH of planets
Use the bullshit fantasy to add MORE SCI-FI

Like, really, New 52 Hawkman was just DC Wolverine. They literally gave him a mysterious backstory that doesn't make sense, put metal inside him that he forms claws with most of the time, and that also gives him super regenerative powers. That it was a bad story didn't help either.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 31, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Some of that sort of happened in Futures End.

The Jeff Parker/Timothy Truman Convergence story was pretty neat.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Justice League Unlimited's take on him was really dope, especially when they just decided to make him into the Sentry.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

See I really like the reincarnation stuff, particularly where Johns and Robinson went with it. It was kinda similar to what Brubaker and Fraction did later with Iron Fist, where their run had all these little side stories about various reincarnations of Hawkman through the ages (one of em actually was a Maltese Falcon homage one-shot by Brubaker and Phillips that's really cool)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

KaosMachina posted:

Honestly you could make a whole story out of 'okay, so if the pharaoh Katar reincarnated as a member of an alien race, what about OTHER alien races'
like just do a space story in the new 52 where he's trying to remember his whole history and he and hawkgirl have been, at one point or another, a pair of lovers from an alien race that became legendary warriors on a whole BUNCH of planets
Use the bullshit fantasy to add MORE SCI-FI

Like, really, New 52 Hawkman was just DC Wolverine. They literally gave him a mysterious backstory that doesn't make sense, put metal inside him that he forms claws with most of the time, and that also gives him super regenerative powers. That it was a bad story didn't help either.

They could do something interesting with the whole past life thing if he used it to call on different skills or whatnot but it seems like all his past lives were pretty much exactly the same, which is kind of boring. Like it would be cool if he knew he was constantly reincarnating so he would spend entire lives getting really good at one thing for use later.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

They could do something interesting with the whole past life thing if he used it to call on different skills or whatnot but it seems like all his past lives were pretty much exactly the same, which is kind of boring. Like it would be cool if he knew he was constantly reincarnating so he would spend entire lives getting really good at one thing for use later.

yes
yes exactly
and the fact that I haven't seen anyone even try some story that ties in stuff over numerous past lives and flashes back to them a la the Times Past stories in starman is such a damned shame
really, if hawkman is comparable to anyone it SHOULD be Batman. Whole array of vastly varied skills from different lives... and most of them he's discovered that a shocking number of problems can be solved by hitting them in the face with a blunt object, yes, but he has skills for problems that AREN'T that out the wazoo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have they ever done a story where he was the woman and she was a man? Or they were both guys or women?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Have they ever done a story where he was the woman and she was a man? Or they were both guys or women?

They should've gone way further with that stuff. Like, one time they're both bears, and have to fight evil as Hawkbear and Hawkfemalebear

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

As long as we're spitballing ideas: reincarnation as diaspora. An oppressed people (Thanagarians, I guess!), desperate to escape the grinding hell of imperial occupation, use mass suicide and reincarnation as a way to scatter their souls beyond the reach of those who would enslave them. You can do stories about assimilation vs. preservation of culture, about what home and homeland mean, about minority identity and passing, about unsolicited opinions on Israel???????

Plus Hawkman's fighting styles can all be based on things you can do with the tools of farm and simple manual labor, since those styles arise basically any time people have been enslaved/colonized.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

February chat thread posted.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, I just finished Savage Dragon Archives Vol. 3 (collecting #51-75), and I enjoyed it way more than I expected to. It reminded me of the comics I used to write as a teenager (The Super Squadron and The Honor Guard) -- just wild imagination and unbridled id at play, riffing off DC and Marvel and popular culture in general, with a surprising amount of "slice of life"/soap opera-esque character development, some silly humor, and occasional shocking violence and unexpected tragedy to jolt the reader out of a comfort zone.

There is literally a cast of hundreds, and Larsen has no problem shaking up the status quo for heroes, villains, and supporting characters alike. There are time jumps, major life events (marriages, children being born and growing up, breakups, deaths), crime stories, Kirby-esque space opera, good old-fashioned slugfests, callbacks and running gags, and meta-commentary on superhero comics as a genre and comics as an entire medium of storytelling.

Of course, Larsen wallows in '90s excesses, between the outbreaks of ultraviolence and the ridiculously voluptuous, scantily-clad female characters (who occasionally get fridged). With regard to the latter, I get the impression he's self-aware of what a dirty old man he is, compared to most of his '90s Image contemporaries, and he's somewhat in on the joke. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit there, since the Dragon seems like a real self-insert character at times, always in a long term relationship or a casual hook-up with one gravity-defying buxom babe or another.

There's a sense of fun to it all that most of the other '90s Image titles never had. It's over-the-top on purpose, always with a wink and a smile, rather than glowing eyes and gritted teeth. And his world building and strong sense of continuity give us characters and settings where everything matters, no matter how silly or sad or stupid it may seem at the time. It helps that one man has written and drawn everything, that's for sure.

I'm sure I'm missing all kinds of nuances to the art since this Archives volume is in black and white. Unfortunately, the covers and "In the next issue" blurbs aren't included, so I'm not sure where the issues begin and end, and that affects the pacing somewhat. But I'm enjoying Savage Dragon more than I ever thought I would, reading these 1998 comics with fresh eyes and an open mind in 2016. I hope our library gets e-book versions of the rest of these Archives, and if it doesn't, I may even be tempted to track them down for myself. For the few of you who have read this series, does the quality stay pretty consistent, such as it is?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Hawkeye gets an earful, though oddly not Black Widow. Neither does Green Arrow, but I guess the perception of him is Batman With Arrows, whereas Hawkeye is seen more as just Man With Arrows.

Ant Man used to but I'm sure the movie probably changed that around. I don't think the average comedy writer of the past couple of decades really understood that he's basically super strong when tiny.

Black Widow has superpowers.

• Locked thread