Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Damien is not a greaser who thinks he's Spider-man, the dynamic is way off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Travis343 posted:

I didn't think Maggott was that bad.

Maggott suffered from being a concept that found its way into the head of the wrong writer. If he'd been created by Grant Morrison or Jason Aaron instead of Scott loving Lobdell, they might have been able to do something interesting with him. Instead, he was shoehorned into the "Joseph" subplot and then quietly forgotten when that all went away.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Damien is not a greaser who thinks he's Spider-man, the dynamic is way off.

Damien was Bruce in the issue I'm remembering. It worked for me, but I have a weak spot for Morrison. :shrug:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
There was a guy on Antiques Roadshow last night who had VG copies of Avengers #1 & 2 (#1 was appraised for ~$4000–6000) just lying about unprotected and he was all "oh, well, better not rub my fingers all over them anymore!" and I got so mad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a google doc of all the Marvel hip hop variants. It also includes the original album art next to it so you SQUARES can compare.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Here's a google doc of all the Marvel hip hop variants. It also includes the original album art next to it so you SQUARES can compare.

Most of this is too old for me but I like the covers anyway. Except the Iggy one, come on Marvel, what the hell.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
What is this "hip hopping" you people keep talking about? :ghost:

DC's putting out "Adult Coloring Book Variants." Since we've already got blank variants, what's next? I'm hoping for Disney or straight-up gender and race-swapping, just for the reactions.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I hadn't seen the Carnage and Venom covers before--those are just fantastic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

I hadn't seen the Carnage and Venom covers before--those are just fantastic.

Yeah there are a bunch of new-to-me ones, I really like the Vision/Wiz one, just as an art piece, as well as the Inhumans/Future one. Peter tha Parker is just good fun.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

zoux posted:

Some of these are super great. Lil B Herc is maybe the funniest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Turning the lil into Spidey's web shooting gesture is too clever.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Some of these are super great. Lil B Herc is maybe the funniest.

I laugh every time I see Tyler/Squirrel Girl.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dario the Wop posted:

DC's putting out "Adult Coloring Book Variants." Since we've already got blank variants, what's next? I'm hoping for Disney or straight-up gender and race-swapping, just for the reactions.

Related life hack: Google Image Search has an option for "image type" under the Search Tools menu. Select "Line Art". You can plug any artist or characters into the search, and most likely get at least a few images usable as coloring pages, including some uncolored/unlettered comics pages.

This has worked incredibly well for me when I've forgotten to pack coloring books for visits to in-laws. It's also nice if your kid is interested in something that has no official coloring books available.

It's also rad as gently caress to see a toddler coloring Jack Kirby pages. :3:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Dario the Wop posted:

Disney princess variants for everyone! :buddy:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Disney princess variants for everyone! :buddy:
You're joking but this would actually be kinda awesome?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Buzzfeed would sue for gimmick infringement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Let's see if DT will put his money where his mouth is.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2016/01/fan-made-red-hood-web-series-takes-aim-at-kickstarter-campaign/

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Let's see if DT will put his money where his mouthless helmet is.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Hopefully they'll get a cease and desist letter from DC soon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The best fan film ever is five minutes long and didn't need crowdfunding.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bless.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hmmm. I tend to be wary of this kind of fanstuff because it always tend to follow the same plot beats: look how badass Jason is, gently caress YOU DAD, gently caress YOU JOKER and gently caress YOU DICK; I kill because is what badasses do and so on.

However, they mention Roy on their plot outline and a Jason no longer blinded with vengeance so it could be the one fanwork that breaks the trend. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Of course, lets see how far they can actually get before

boom boom boom posted:

they'll get a cease and desist letter from DC

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Why do people put any time, effort or money into fan films? Are they all hoping they'll be plucked up to direct super hero movies?
Find any number of screenwriting graduates to write you something original to show off your neato on-the-cheap action movie skills. You might even be able to sell it without a cease and desist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let me talk to you about "hobbies"

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

You're joking but this would actually be kinda awesome?

Honestly, I'm only half joking. There's a comedy factor but also I think it would be fun and good. And like, funny on multiple levels. I don't know.

Marvel, get the gently caress on it, stat. We need Captains America and Marvel as Disney princesses.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
As somebody who loves Only Built for Cuban Linx and the Hulk, that particular variant is great, can somebody make a wallpaper out of that?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 5, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Why do people put any time, effort or money into fan films? Are they all hoping they'll be plucked up to direct super hero movies?
Find any number of screenwriting graduates to write you something original to show off your neato on-the-cheap action movie skills. You might even be able to sell it without a cease and desist.

Like, why does anyone do anything fun or enjoyable or entertaining? Like, why does anyone do anything, man? :420:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Honestly, I'm only half joking. There's a comedy factor but also I think it would be fun and good. And like, funny on multiple levels. I don't know.

Marvel, get the gently caress on it, stat. We need Captains America and Marvel as Disney princesses.
Captain Marvel as Sleeping Beauty just punching the gently caress out of Maleficent as a dragon

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

fun or enjoyable or entertaining

That's assuming a lot!

I'm just saying that if you think you have the skills to make something cool, take yourself seriously, do your own thing and ditch the cheap marketing of jacking other people's poo poo.

Fan films are such a dime-a-dozen, I bet a really cool trailer of stunts and great shots would garner you more attention than any inherent "Oh cool! My favourite comic character in live action?!" interest.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 5, 2016

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's assuming a lot!

I'm just saying that if you think you have the skills to make something cool, take yourself seriously, do your own thing and ditch the cheap marketing of jacking other people's poo poo.

Fan films are such a dime-a-dozen, I bet a really cool trailer of stunts and great shots would garner you more attention than any inherent "Oh cool! My favourite comic character in live action?!" interest.

Man, maybe they're not trying to take themselves seriously and just want to have fun making a tribute to a thing they like! Not everything has to be utilitarian or an effort to make a name for yourself. Sometimes it's just fun to appreciate a hobby and pay tribute to it. As long as it ain't hurting anybody, I think it's cool. Even if the fan film sucks or is dumb, at least they had fun.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
All comics not owned and/or written by the original creators of the characters depicted in them is worthless trash.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

All comics not owned and/or written by the original creators of the characters depicted in them is worthless trash.

Okay John Byrne

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

This new star Wars... it might as well be made by white slavers since George Lucas didn't direct it

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Hmmm. I tend to be wary of this kind of fanstuff because it always tend to follow the same plot beats: look how badass Jason is, gently caress YOU DAD, gently caress YOU JOKER and gently caress YOU DICK; I kill because is what badasses do and so on.

Yeah now you know how everyone else feels about Jason Todd all the Goddamn time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Most fan stuff is....real bad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

This new star Wars... it might as well be made by white slavers since George Lucas didn't direct it

Just like Empire and Return of the Jedi. The only pure Star Wars are A New Hope (current version) and episodes 1-3.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

Yeah now you know how everyone else feels about Jason Todd all the Goddamn time.

Lots of people on CBR and ComicVine love that take on the character though. They can't stop showering with praise Arkham Knight for "taking Jason back to its dark roots, away of the goody two shoes that Lobdell turned him into"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I would really like to hear the ep7-9 ideas George submitted :)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

I like Jason!...but yeah...he's not used well most of the time.

zoux posted:

Most fan stuff is....real bad.

It's true that "official" works provide a sort of gatekeeping that allows for their higher average of quality, but "write your own stuff, don't be a talentless hack who just copies other universes!" is a dumb stance and it was a dumb stance when George RR Martin said it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At least make it about Jase Modd, The Maroon Helmet.

• Locked thread