Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

boom boom boom posted:

Bu garbage people you mean children?

Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

It literally does tho. Like, if they hadn't gotten the sign off, they would've been forced to stop.

But Voyager, despite its pedigree, isn't good. Despite my fondness for it, most of Voyager is poo poo. A series of wasted ideas and potentially interesting things that aren't developed and aren't pursued.

And then Ron Moore takes all the interesting bits and turns it into Battlestar Galactica, which is, for the most part, good. Even though it's what he thought Voyager should have been, slapped onto a different pre-existing property. (Moore talks about this in interviews). Incidentally, he's now working on Outlander, which started as Doctor Who fanfiction...

Legitimacy stops you from getting sued, yeah, but it doesn't confer quality...

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Toph Bei Fong posted:

But Voyager, despite its pedigree, isn't good. Despite my fondness for it, most of Voyager is poo poo. A series of wasted ideas and potentially interesting things that aren't developed and aren't pursued.

And then Ron Moore takes all the interesting bits and turns it into Battlestar Galactica, which is, for the most part, good. Even though it's what he thought Voyager should have been, slapped onto a different pre-existing property. (Moore talks about this in interviews). Incidentally, he's now working on Outlander, which started as Doctor Who fanfiction...

Legitimacy stops you from getting sued, yeah, but it doesn't confer quality...

Legitimate and good have nothing to do with each other. I don't even know what anybody's arguing here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Even the Rolling Stones started out by ripping off blues singers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Legitimate and good have nothing to do with each other. I don't even know what anybody's arguing here.

Semantics, mostly.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Legitimate stuff tends to have editors, investors who need to feel confident you know what you're doing before they put money down, higher bar for entry so you need more than an idea and a keyboard, etc.

However, there are writers who can get away without an editor and who produce great stuff even without having formal training/education. Plenty of writers/artists/whatever go through the legitimate hoops and put out poo poo work. Even with a strict definition of fanfic being "stories people put online about characters they don't own and don't have the rights to", I don't think I'd say it's all bad or all worse than the legit stuff for the IPs they used.

I dunno I just don't think the Red Hood fan film will be good because fan films tend to not be good in my experience and they're more prone to C&D letters and also Red Hood is not good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Can we just say that fan-anything that's not in the format these characters are normally portrayed in has probably a 99% chance of being garbage. Superhero fan films, prose stories, God help you if you write superhero poetry.

Fanart or fan comics of superheroes has a much higher chance of being passable if only because you can just follow the blueprint of successful works that are already out there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CapnAndy posted:

You're joking but this would actually be kinda awesome?

Nooooooooo. I am so sick of Disney princesses.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Can we just say that fan-anything that's not in the format these characters are normally portrayed in has probably a 99% chance of being garbage. Superhero fan films, prose stories, God help you if you write superhero poetry.

Fanart or fan comics of superheroes has a much higher chance of being passable if only because you can just follow the blueprint of successful works that are already out there.

Actually I am a recognized master of superhero forum posts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I would really like to hear the ep7-9 ideas George submitted :)

"I think it should suck more and not be satisfying on an emotional level."

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, basically semantics, and maybe a little bit of literary philosophy in regards to the continuation of serial fiction after the end of the initial writer's work.

Another example: Kingsley Amis wrote a James Bond novel, Colonel Sun, after Ian Fleming died, the first of many authors to do so. He was authorized by the holders of the James Bond license to do so. Fleming's wife thought Amis was a poo poo and didn't want any more novels written. Amis had written a critical guide to the Bond novels, as well as a spoof guide for potential MI agents before writing the novel, so he's obviously not just doing this as a fly-by-night thing. Also, he's Kingsley Amis, and had been a very highly regarded novelist in his own right since Lucky Jim, not some professional potboiler like Kevin J Anderson. Does this novel count as fan fiction? Why?

A question of semantics, certainly, but one that I find fun to kick back and forth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It gets even muddier when you have works that were blessedly created before loving Steamboat Wille and are allowed to slip into the public domain. Are works about Dracula fanfiction of the original Dracula novel/films?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

Nooooooooo. I am so sick of Disney princesses.

They're very popular with little girls.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

They're very popular with little girls.

I'm pretty sure they're popular with everyone, if my loving facebook feed is to be believed.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

I'm pretty sure they're popular with everyone, if my loving facebook feed is to be believed.

Maybe you're just friends with a lot of little girls.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The same kind of adults that would wear Tweety and Taz sweaters in the 90s are really into Disney Princess, I think.

Which means he's either friends with a bunch of little girls or menopausal office workers from the Midwest.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
The Divine Comedy is basically a fanfic of the Bible (which already has a book that is straight up fanfic where the author meets God after he canonically went back to Heaven) where all the people the author hated got tortured a whole bunch as his self insert mocked them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair no one pretends it is anything else.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

My brother refuses to exclude my niece to anything Disney princess related but it just seems like a losing battle. Disney can be fairly ruthless.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Travis343 posted:

God help you if you write superhero poetry.

A friend of mine actually tried his hand at this when he was in high school. It did not go well, but now I have something fun to razz him about.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Chums, we're still running under a 2015 rules thread. Stale rules mean stale posts, imo. Post your hot new 2016 rules suggestions. I'll start:
  • All personal insults must be delivered like a Dr. Strange spell, e.g. "By the Wretched Wrecks of Radiumcode, I command you, spirits: astral-gently caress this idiot poster into the butt-hells of Watoomb!!"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squizzle posted:

Chums, we're still running under a 2015 rules thread. Stale rules mean stale posts, imo. Post your hot new 2016 rules suggestions. I'll start:
  • All personal insults must be delivered like a Dr. Strange spell, e.g. "By the Wretched Wrecks of Radiumcode, I command you, spirits: astral-gently caress this idiot poster into the butt-hells of Watoomb!!"

No bullshit Bendis-style incantations, please.

:rolleye:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr. Maltose posted:

My favorite DC character is probably Kid Eternity, let's talk about him.
They should really do a Kid Eternity, Kid Attorney book where he gets great legal advice each month FROM BEYOND THE VEIL

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Supporting cast idea: sovereign citizen zombies with unconventional ideas concerning life, afterlife, and common law.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Edge & Christian posted:

They should really do a Kid Eternity, Kid Attorney book where he gets great legal advice each month FROM BEYOND THE VEIL

Considering how often dude goes to hell I'm amazed he hasn't talked to Daniel Webster once.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

Supporting cast idea: sovereign citizen zombies with unconventional ideas concerning life, afterlife, and common law.

KE could let them talk to the actual Founding Fathers. Holy poo poo, that'd be a great power to have irl. Imagine him fighting those redneck terrorists in Oregon...

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

They'd shamble through the background, gnawing office buildings and yachts, since they can't tell the difference between corporations, boats, and people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

An abandoned comic book pitch of mine involved a guy who is a dr strange like figure, specifically a shaman, who treats the supernatural like a collective bargaining agreement that must constantly be renegotiated. Want to cast a spell to get rid of these zombies? Guess you better fulfill that blood oath the aztec made to the spirit who governs zombie killing, he's been waiting forever for that poo poo.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

An abandoned comic book pitch of mine involved a guy who is a dr strange like figure, specifically a shaman, who treats the supernatural like a collective bargaining agreement that must constantly be renegotiated. Want to cast a spell to get rid of these zombies? Guess you better fulfill that blood oath the aztec made to the spirit who governs zombie killing, he's been waiting forever for that poo poo.

I think it's generally understood that everyone who so much as thinks hard about superhero comics (let alone reads them or works on them) has a bad story idea worked out for each of Dr. Strange, Superman, and the Fantastic Four. My Strange pitch is "The Sorcerer Supreme isn't the King of Magic; he's the Secretary of State (of Magic)".

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
My Dr. Strange idea is that he goes to a fancy dinner with his girlfriend, but it turns out there's an idea demon running around in people's brains at the restaurant. So he has to keep astrally projecting into other diner's brains, fight off the idea demon, and then get back into his own body to keep the date going.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squizzle posted:

I think it's generally understood that everyone who so much as thinks hard about superhero comics (let alone reads them or works on them) has a bad story idea worked out for each of Dr. Strange, Superman, and the Fantastic Four. My Strange pitch is "The Sorcerer Supreme isn't the King of Magic; he's the Secretary of State (of Magic)".

I would read the hell out of Mighty God King's Dr. Strange pitch(es): http://mightygodking.com/category/comics/i-should-write-dr-strange/

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Squizzle posted:

My Dr. Strange pitch has him in charge of what is basically a law firm, with a whole bunch of Sorcerors Subordinate working for him. That way, while Strange takes care of the huge threats in the background, the action mostly focuses on inexperienced magicians/wizards as they try to handle the contracts of soul-selling or possession, or clients accused of magic crimes.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Napoleon Nelson posted:

My Dr. Strange pitch has him in charge of what is basically a law firm, with a whole bunch of Sorcerors Subordinate working for him. That way, while Strange takes care of the huge threats in the background, the action mostly focuses on inexperienced magicians/wizards as they try to handle the contracts of soul-selling or possession, or clients accused of magic crimes.

Let me be the first to tell you how much BSS appreciates you taking your time to post here, Mr. Soule.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well let me be the first to burn your books on video.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My Doctor Strange pitch is where I just get a regular sorcerer because I don't want to pay twenty five cents for sour cream.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

My Dr Strange pitch involves him having a reality TV show a la Ghost Hunters. Nothing is even that different from a reality show in the real world since no one else can see the spirits and demons and magical creatures he's doing battle with (they can't be filmed!!!). It gets the highest ratings in the 616 because people enjoy watching a middle aged man yell at the air. He is doing this because he lost all his money buying the other eye of Agamotto. What kind of Agamotto doesn't have two eyes?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mine is a PUA Coffee Table Serpents spinoff

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A Tin Of Beans posted:

My Dr Strange pitch involves him having a reality TV show a la Ghost Hunters. Nothing is even that different from a reality show in the real world since no one else can see the spirits and demons and magical creatures he's doing battle with (they can't be filmed!!!). It gets the highest ratings in the 616 because people enjoy watching a middle aged man yell at the air. He is doing this because he lost all his money buying the other eye of Agamotto. What kind of Agamotto doesn't have two eyes?

Both eyes of Ekron J. Agamotto are accounted for.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Dr. Strange pitch: First issue he gets fooled by a spell and is trapped in a white empty room for what feels like 30 years but is only 10 minutes in the real world. He is changed and resolves to create security to our world from magic seeping through to cut our world with the ties of magic. Basically this means that a tired and over it Dr. Strange is essentially Dr. House solving peoples magic problems by banishing it from our world and making our world separate from magic.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

would read

Squizzle posted:

Let me be the first to tell you how much BSS appreciates you taking your time to post here, Mr. Soule.

Best post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My Dr Strange pitch retcons him into being a proctologist.

• Locked thread