Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh thank god I don't have to finish my 2008 LP any more :v:

(But seriously though, PoP 2008 really is a cool game, despite its flaws)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Major_JF posted:

Mostly that the 2 LPs of this game that I have seen have claimed that that achievement is impossible.

I never said it was impossible (though if there is video evidence of this, I vehemently deny saying it), I said the game is geared towards you not getting it just by doing a normal playthrough. You're encouraged to take stupid risks and experiment just because you have that level of freedom thanks to Elika. There's other factors at play too like the semi-automated platforming sections that encourage accidental mistiming of actions, or the game's somewhat arbitrary "fall to death animation" trigger distances, and the game's dodgy collision detection parameters, all of which contribute to some otherwise unforced errors.

I have never gotten the Be Gentle With Her achievement because I'm the kind of guy who when given that level of freedom, I tend to abuse it. If I actually tried to get it, it would require me to play the game so cautiously it would become unfun for me.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 2, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Major_JF posted:

One of the devs pointed out that that sword/sheath combination is technically physically impossible due to the size of the hook at the end of the blade. You either can not get the sword in or out of the sheath as it is presented. Some fans have worked out some funky additions to the sheath that let it work though.

For what it's worth, some of the Ubisoft devs also said that the Hidden Blade from Assassin's Creed was also physically impossible to replicate in the real world. And yet scores of people have made real working ones. It's a lesson to never under-estimate the power of fan dedication and ingenuity.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well congrats on finishing the LP man. It's a weight off my mind to know that 2008 was finished at least in some fashion after my LP kind of imploded on itself because I just lost interest in doing it.

As for the ending, I personally found it very insulting that the game makes you undo everything you just did and render it all moot for what ultimately turns out to be nothing. Eilka winds up despising you, and the sequel that would have redeemed the Prince as a character never came about, so he stalls out halfway through his character arc. The man sacrificed the entire world for the sake of one woman... who winds up hating him.

Are you going to tackle the Epilogue DLC, by chance? Because that's almost kind of essential to the game, in my eyes, as the perfect means of rubbing salt in the self-inflicted wound that is the ending to this game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bootcha posted:

I always felt PoP2008 was an excellent world-building exercise. While the Prince is painted with general mystery, the better narrative is with Aleka discovering the world around the temple and the fate of her deserting people.

It's her story, the Princess of Persia.

For what it's worth, if you watch the ending credits you'll see the game was originally titled Prince & Princess of Persia, so you're pretty much on the money. Your guess is as good as mine as to why they curtailed it to just PoP. Especially if they were trying to market it as a quasi-distinct property from the Sands of Time trilogy. But then Ubisoft's gonna Ubi, so what can you do?

• Locked thread