Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Motronic posted:

Lawyer. Now. Do not try to do this yourself or you are likely to get hosed.

As hard. You'll always get hosed if it has already gone that far, it just depends on how hard at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

iwentdoodie posted:

Agreed.

I haven't done poo poo in a month because our highs were all below 60 and it was mildly uncomfortable.

It was 45 and sunny today and it was fantastic. I actually got some time to do some wrenching in the driveway.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

um excuse me posted:

I'm watching the Ford GT on Fox's Sport Go app. It looks very good so far. What happened to the second GT?

67 had a gearbox failure like 30m in, apparently a pneumatic actuator failed.

66 just had some weird failure where the killswitch activated every time the traction control came on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I don't wanna spark off a connection speed dickwaving contest here, but is speedtest.net actually relevant to daily use, or is it one of those things where ISPs can optimize to get good results while getting nowhere near that in the real world?

My new apartment claims "up to" 100Mbps down/50 up, that site shows 95/96. Seems too good to be true. I'll also have to figure out if there's like bandwidth/data caps per month or anything like that.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I'm watching the Ford GT on Fox's Sport Go app. It looks very good so far. What happened to the second GT?

They said the second GT was having communication issues, for some reason the car kept thinking the killswitch was being activated.

e;fb

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I spoke far too soon. That post was before breakdown 2.

It looks like there's another problem with one of the GTs as we speak. This makes the 4th issue between the two cars.

Edit: Panoz Deltawing just ate it in the back of one of the prototypes.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 31, 2016

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

well there goes ALL of the cars I was rooting for.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Went to Sears to get some screwdrivers for work. (Boy was that a depressing sight)

Ended up rolling out of there with a new toolbox. Had been $200, but was on sale for $99 Awww yiss

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

gently caress yeah Jaws is on. Quint is such a badass. :swoon:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Enourmo posted:

I don't wanna spark off a connection speed dickwaving contest here, but is speedtest.net actually relevant to daily use, or is it one of those things where ISPs can optimize to get good results while getting nowhere near that in the real world?

My new apartment claims "up to" 100Mbps down/50 up, that site shows 95/96. Seems too good to be true. I'll also have to figure out if there's like bandwidth/data caps per month or anything like that.

100Mbps usually gets you very good download speeds on things like Steam. Now I have a gigabit connection and I'm not sure there are many sites that actually can deliver that throughput. But uploading to YouTube is so fast.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wow, you really are from Florida, aren't you? :v:

Funny enough I was born and raised in Wisconsin, and I also had a stint in Buffalo running a campground from '08 to '10 and had a thread about my XJ's I had up there. Like the time I finally got the cheap '97 XJ on the road and immediately hit ice and ran it into a tree. gently caress that place.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Just spent $2000 on a new mattress and box spring. I had to do it, but that really would've been better as a new exhaust.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sigma X posted:

Just spent $2000 on a new mattress and box spring. I had to do it, but that really would've been better as a new exhaust.

Thats a fancy loving mattress.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

NWS unless you're Geirskogul, then you've probably seen similar or better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFDR5MqaCo

everyone pick your favorite random phrase

"911 is not a prime number"

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 31, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Pinks are a helluva drug.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Sigma X posted:

It's worth it though. A new mattress is the best thing, especially if your old one was hosed up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nm posted:

:pervert:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

we just dropped $1200 on a new matress thats still being made for us, but my shoulders are hosed and I wake up with pinched nerves every morning and the better half keeps waking up with back pains so I'd happily spend double that on a new mattress if it meant it didnt hurt ALL the time, just SOME of the time.

http://utopiabedding.com.au/mattress-range/heavenly/

They make them to order, so you dont wind up with a mattress thats been sitting at the bottom of a tonne and a half pile of mattresses for weeks getting pre-hosed. Hopefully have it this week!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

nm posted:

I have a hosed-up back that needs surgery due to an old injury I got while in the Army. Being 40 lbs overweight isn't helping any, either. The outgoing one cost me $3000 for the mattress, boxspring, and bed frame; this one is a G cheaper with no frame on it. Honestly, that's not bad for something that lasted, oh, 7 years.

ExplodingSims posted:

It's worth it though. A new mattress is the best thing, especially if your old one was hosed up.
Oh, I know, I just hate having to spend thousands of dollars on something I only appreciate when it's not there.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I bought a queen size Bob-O-Pedic a few years ago amd I loving love it. It was like $1200. The $300 bedframe on the ither hand is a piece of poo poo. No.matter what I do to it it is the squeekiest frame in the world.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Goober Peas posted:

Congrats, you sperg trapped my GF and I with that one. Yes it is.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Pinks are a helluva drug.

Butt drugs are a helluva thing...

T-Square
May 14, 2009

So far have watched all 8ish hours so far of Daytona. Plus, I've been sick all week, so I don't have to feel sorry about my life!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Goober Peas posted:

NWS unless you're Geirskogul, then you've probably seen similar or better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFDR5MqaCo

everyone pick your favorite random phrase

Can you turn the temperature down please?

Pretty bog standard crazy guy. Even then, it's 50/50 he is actually disturbed enough to do that alone, or just wants attention. I am 100% sure that he either is on, or has done some, drugs, though, as it is in Austin. Everyone in Austin is on something.

The last two days of this week's shifts had as follows (in no particular order, and missing the boring ones, and scrubbed for HIPAA):

-- Flight-Hospice call for a patient with a hemispherectomy who had cancer that had metastasized "everywhere." These calls we pick up the flight crew from the airport, drive to the hospice center, pick up the patient, then drive the entire package (along with family members and a lot of luggage, usually) back directly to the airplane. This person also normally wore a helmet since the craniotomy, but they removed it for the drive/flight to "let <the patient> breathe a bit." Glad I was wearing Class A's that day.

-- Patient who was in their mid-50's and diagnosed with bell's palsy after a trip to the ER for a stroke (bell's palsy often false-alarms as a stroke). This brought back bad childhood memories and pt said some suicidal things, so was petitioned (treatment against their will). That was a fun 30-mile drive.

-- Refugee family (parent and 5 kids) and all six of them were going to the hospital with "pneumonia." Since the ambulance can only take one child at a time (children have to ride on the gurney) safely, we spent a few hours ferrying the children one-by-one, then the parent, to the ER. When we showed up with the first kid the nurses at the ER were all masked up and looked at us and asked, "Where are your masks!?" We said it was called in as pneumonia to our dispatch and the nurse says "No, it's probably TB." Thanks a lot, refugee center!

-- Took an initially combative child to a mountain academy for troubled children. The call started out with the child and the psych center curled up in the corner. We had to coax the child to the gurney with gratuitous help from the social worker, calm the child down, and move the child into the ambulance. Once in the ambulance the child then took another 20 very tense minutes to calm down, and we almost had to restrain the child (restraints are a VERY SERIOUS thing, and can cause delusion and lasting psych issues, but the hysteria and violence was nearly that bad). We thought everything was good, then the moment the doors to the ambulance closed the child became a goddamned banshee. We calmed the child down eventually, however, by asking the child what type of music they liked. Let me tell you, bluetooth speakers are worth their weight in gold, and I'll listen to Justin Beiber if it means I don't have to restrain an 11-14-year-old for a three-hour drive.

Oh yeah, it was three hours. I can't tell you exactly to where, but as the title suggests, it was a goddamned MOUNTAIN ACADEMY. Once off the freeway, the 5-mile drive to the academy was at no less than a 7% grade at all times (except when at the bottom of a washout or when cresting a hill), made of dirt, and most of the time it was also angled either left or right by many degrees. Had the dirt not been frozen and dry, we would have been turbohosed. These are city ambulances! We don't even carry chains!

(pictured: a small portion of the "road" we had to take, where it breaks off eastward from the already shady "highway" [also dirt])
Thankfully, the rollercoaster-like road actually further calmed them. I won't even get into how, halfway into the drive, they decided they needed to pee really bad. Like right now. But we solved it in a completely calm, stroke-of-genius, professional manner, thank god.

-- An elderly person going from the hospital back to their care home. Except for that they had dementia pretty hardcore, and weren't atrophied enough to be unable to throw a few good punches. Getting a glucose on that person was fun.

-- Another elderly person at a care home, but this time it was revealed to us that they had two femur fractures, both right above the knee. Now, "bilateral femur fracture" is a diagnosis, and we don't get dispatched for diagnoses. We get dispatched for symptoms. How could they be so sure that the patient had two broken legs? Well, the patient's son-in-law was present, and he coincidentally was an orthopedic surgeon, and he had called in a mobile x-ray van and had already examined the x-rays. Turns out the patient had broken their legs two days ago as well. The patient also had dementia, but that nice kind of dementia that left them mute and where they smiled at you all the time.

The surgeon family member, however, was furious at the facility for "dropping" the patient. When I asked (before the "drop" was mentioned) "was it a fall?" the surgeon (and his wife, who was present) both turned to me and made it very clear that no fall was involved, and how it was the facility's fault, and how when I write my run report that I need to mention that it wasn't a fall, and blah blah blah maybe lawsuit blah blah blah. Not my job, not my place. I write what I see and nothing more. To make matters better, the surgeon-son wanted us to go to a hospital that was over 40 miles away, and was also currently on divert. (Note: being "on divert" means the ER is full, and unless somebody is dying like right now, you need to go to another hospital, because that hospital is overwhelmed. It's a serious, but sometimes not-too-rare, thing). Yes, he worked at that hospital, but not in the ER. Instead of waiting to patch/CN ("call the hospital to let them know we are coming) until we were in the ambulance like we normally do, I instead called the hospital on my personal phone right there with the son present, and when the ER nurse started yelling at me about their divert status, I passed the phone over to the son. He tried to explain as well, but I have a feeling he got an earful, too, based on how he walked sheepishly out of the room while on the phone.

Rest of the call went fine, though, as the patient was already on a hoyer sheet (sheet with loops in the corners), so we were able to use the lift to move the patient onto the gurney. Worked out fine.

There were many more calls in-between (we averaged 8 calls a 12-hour shift, even with that six-hour drive), but most were average "junkie going from psych hold to psych long-term center" or "suicidal person going from A to B for medical clearance" or "old person going home after their foley was replaced." But I thought I'd point out some of my favorites from the past 48 hours.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 31, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Jesus, dude. Thank you for all you're doing.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Anyone ever try Outer Space vodka? I hate vodka but this shot is great. It is distilled through actual meteorites 5 times and comes in a green alien head bottle. Good poo poo

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Enourmo posted:

Uhhhh... Yes and also no?

Speedtest.net to a local server will show you what your connection to your ISP is capable of, but it is in no way an indicator of performance to other networks/servers. Comcast also accelerate traffic to speedtest.net servers, in order to make their network appear to be less congested.

You have a very fast local loop (the last few miles of connection) - whether that translates to a fast actual internet connection is impossible to tell. It probably does. Try doing speedtests to servers in other countries or on the other side of the states, or downloading large files from fast mirror sites, and see what you get.

To dive into this a little bit deeper, I'll use an example of a couple fellow goons.

TerribleRobot has a DSL service from CenturyLink. His modem connects to the equipment on the other end at around 8mbps down and 1mbps up. However, that equipment's connection back to the rest of the ISP network is horrendously overloaded, and as such he's lucky to get 2mbps. At 3am on a Tuesday.

Cursedshitbox had Comcast cable at his old place. His modem's native speed was something like 100mbps down and 50mbps up. When he ran a speedtest to a local speedtest.net server, he got something like 30/10mbps (due to horrific local congestion), but when he actually tried to download something he got more like 8mbps/1mbps - this is because Comcast prioritized his speedtest traffic in order to make his connection look better than it is.

Whatever ISP the building is using has at least got their local transit done roughly correctly, if you're getting the full 100 symmetrical to a local server. Try running a test to a server a few hundred/thousand miles away, and you'll get a better idea of realistic speeds, but at the end of the day you're probably going to be mostly limited by the speed of the site you're connecting to.

So rejoice, friend. Your internet is dope. Enjoy it. Netflix will probably kick rear end, too, as your ISP probably has a bunch of their boxes near you.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
My speed test will usually read 30 / 10 even when I'm having trouble buffering Netflix.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NitroSpazzz posted:

I do but I'd rather just turn the unit off and use the fireplace. Can't remember if auxiliary heat was on or not when I woke up, I just smelled burning and noticed some light smoke in the house so I killed power to it. Tech should be here in the next half hour or so to look at it. It's 27f out so mildly chilly but the fireplace can cook me out of the house with ease.

edit: It's cooked and 11 years old so time for a new HVAC...Awesome way to start the weekend

:stonk:

Yeah, that's beyond cooked, good thing you were home at the time. Only 11 years old and it did that though?

Fart Pipe posted:

Oh its because Im an independent contractor, not like a millionaire, haha. It took a significant amount of my net income last year but I shouldnt owe hardly anything to the IRS and that will be awesome this year not having to make huge payments every month.

Also an independent contractor.

Finally got my 1098-T today, I went from owing a small amount to getting a $1700 refund. :neckbeard: Still waiting on one last 1099 from Amazon, but I made <$1500 with them, so I can't see it making a big difference. I generally put in anywhere from 4-16 hours/week with them @ $18/hr + tips.

Speaking of... just today alone, on a 4-9 shift with Dining In, I made more than I would make in an entire weekend (Fri-Sun) with Doordash. I think it worked out to almost $30/hour. Won't be able to pull that kind of coin on weekdays, but goddamn, why didn't I jump to this company sooner?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Anderron Shi posted:

My speed test will usually read 30 / 10 even when I'm having trouble buffering Netflix.

Which means the speedtest server is located inside your ISP's own network, and they don't have any Netflix cache appliances (or they do, and they're at max capacity when you have this problem - makes no real difference), so your Netflix traffic has to come from someone else's network, through a backhaul link that is itself overloaded.

Doesn't mean your internet isn't as fast as advertised, just means your ISP's backhaul and peering (connections to other companies' networks) are overloaded at peak times.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

literally a fish posted:

Which means the speedtest server is located inside your ISP's own network, and they don't have any Netflix cache appliances (or they do, and they're at max capacity when you have this problem - makes no real difference), so your Netflix traffic has to come from someone else's network, through a backhaul link that is itself overloaded.

Doesn't mean your internet isn't as fast as advertised, just means your ISP's backhaul and peering (connections to other companies' networks) are overloaded at peak times.

hmmm...yeah, also my friends and I will get a game the same day from steam, usually at launch or something, and even a friend with lower advertised speeds will be getting the game 2 or 3x faster from steam....pisses me off.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you want to get an idea of how good your connection is DSL report's speed test seems to be more accurate.
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geirskogul posted:

Can you turn the temperature down please?

Pretty bog standard crazy guy. Even then, it's 50/50 he is actually disturbed enough to do that alone, or just wants attention. I am 100% sure that he either is on, or has done some, drugs, though, as it is in Austin. Everyone in Austin is on something.

The last two days of this week's shifts had as follows (in no particular order, and missing the boring ones, and scrubbed for HIPAA):

-- Flight-Hospice call for a patient with a hemispherectomy who had cancer that had metastasized "everywhere." These calls we pick up the flight crew from the airport, drive to the hospice center, pick up the patient, then drive the entire package (along with family members and a lot of luggage, usually) back directly to the airplane. This person also normally wore a helmet since the craniotomy, but they removed it for the drive/flight to "let <the patient> breathe a bit." Glad I was wearing Class A's that day.

-- Patient who was in their mid-50's and diagnosed with bell's palsy after a trip to the ER for a stroke (bell's palsy often false-alarms as a stroke). This brought back bad childhood memories and pt said some suicidal things, so was petitioned (treatment against their will). That was a fun 30-mile drive.

-- Refugee family (parent and 5 kids) and all six of them were going to the hospital with "pneumonia." Since the ambulance can only take one child at a time (children have to ride on the gurney) safely, we spent a few hours ferrying the children one-by-one, then the parent, to the ER. When we showed up with the first kid the nurses at the ER were all masked up and looked at us and asked, "Where are your masks!?" We said it was called in as pneumonia to our dispatch and the nurse says "No, it's probably TB." Thanks a lot, refugee center!

-- Took an initially combative child to a mountain academy for troubled children. The call started out with the child and the psych center curled up in the corner. We had to coax the child to the gurney with gratuitous help from the social worker, calm the child down, and move the child into the ambulance. Once in the ambulance the child then took another 20 very tense minutes to calm down, and we almost had to restrain the child (restraints are a VERY SERIOUS thing, and can cause delusion and lasting psych issues, but the hysteria and violence was nearly that bad). We thought everything was good, then the moment the doors to the ambulance closed the child became a goddamned banshee. We calmed the child down eventually, however, by asking the child what type of music they liked. Let me tell you, bluetooth speakers are worth their weight in gold, and I'll listen to Justin Beiber if it means I don't have to restrain an 11-14-year-old for a three-hour drive.

Oh yeah, it was three hours. I can't tell you exactly to where, but as the title suggests, it was a goddamned MOUNTAIN ACADEMY. Once off the freeway, the 5-mile drive to the academy was at no less than a 7% grade at all times (except when at the bottom of a washout or when cresting a hill), made of dirt, and most of the time it was also angled either left or right by many degrees. Had the dirt not been frozen and dry, we would have been turbohosed. These are city ambulances! We don't even carry chains!

(pictured: a small portion of the "road" we had to take, where it breaks off eastward from the already shady "highway" [also dirt])
Thankfully, the rollercoaster-like road actually further calmed them. I won't even get into how, halfway into the drive, they decided they needed to pee really bad. Like right now. But we solved it in a completely calm, stroke-of-genius, professional manner, thank god.

-- An elderly person going from the hospital back to their care home. Except for that they had dementia pretty hardcore, and weren't atrophied enough to be unable to throw a few good punches. Getting a glucose on that person was fun.

-- Another elderly person at a care home, but this time it was revealed to us that they had two femur fractures, both right above the knee. Now, "bilateral femur fracture" is a diagnosis, and we don't get dispatched for diagnoses. We get dispatched for symptoms. How could they be so sure that the patient had two broken legs? Well, the patient's son-in-law was present, and he coincidentally was an orthopedic surgeon, and he had called in a mobile x-ray van and had already examined the x-rays. Turns out the patient had broken their legs two days ago as well. The patient also had dementia, but that nice kind of dementia that left them mute and where they smiled at you all the time.

The surgeon family member, however, was furious at the facility for "dropping" the patient. When I asked (before the "drop" was mentioned) "was it a fall?" the surgeon (and his wife, who was present) both turned to me and made it very clear that no fall was involved, and how it was the facility's fault, and how when I write my run report that I need to mention that it wasn't a fall, and blah blah blah maybe lawsuit blah blah blah. Not my job, not my place. I write what I see and nothing more. To make matters better, the surgeon-son wanted us to go to a hospital that was over 40 miles away, and was also currently on divert. (Note: being "on divert" means the ER is full, and unless somebody is dying like right now, you need to go to another hospital, because that hospital is overwhelmed. It's a serious, but sometimes not-too-rare, thing). Yes, he worked at that hospital, but not in the ER. Instead of waiting to patch/CN ("call the hospital to let them know we are coming) until we were in the ambulance like we normally do, I instead called the hospital on my personal phone right there with the son present, and when the ER nurse started yelling at me about their divert status, I passed the phone over to the son. He tried to explain as well, but I have a feeling he got an earful, too, based on how he walked sheepishly out of the room while on the phone.

Rest of the call went fine, though, as the patient was already on a hoyer sheet (sheet with loops in the corners), so we were able to use the lift to move the patient onto the gurney. Worked out fine.

There were many more calls in-between (we averaged 8 calls a 12-hour shift, even with that six-hour drive), but most were average "junkie going from psych hold to psych long-term center" or "suicidal person going from A to B for medical clearance" or "old person going home after their foley was replaced." But I thought I'd point out some of my favorites from the past 48 hours.

Even if you got paid a living wage, you wouldn't be paid enough.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Testing again at 1am im getting roughly the same from dslreports, and from speedtest to various locations in the us; about 17/20 to Moscow, which is not too bad at all, and that's only relevant for War Thunder which is surprisingly a fairly low-bandwidth game by all accounts.

I tested to the Comcast server in San Francisco and got 5 up/95 down, which is a :psyduck: discrepancy.

I'll have to check again at prime time to get a proper read, but I'm generally a night owl anyway so I guess this place is alright.

E: unrelated, the smoke alarm in my room here is chirping every minute or so. It doesn't seem to have a battery, just a power connection, so idk what gives. I'm paranoid to unplug it in case it's got a tattle-tale and the office closed earlier than their hours listed online, so I'll have to wait til tomorrow to see what to do about it.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 31, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Trust me, it has a battery. It's just hidden pretty well - it's probably in a tray that slides out. Unplugging it may or may not set off every other smoke alarm in the apartment.

That chirping would drive me batshit insane within a few minutes.

You're in a rent-by-the-room student apartment, aren't you? "oh hey, you can pay what a small 1 bedroom apartment normally rents for, and have the peace of mind that if one of your roommates moves out, you're not affected! and we'll thrown in internet! also between the 3-4 of you, we're collecting about $2500/month on an apartment that would rent for $1000/month anywhere else, but it's okay because we verified your financial aid through your school so we know we can collect rent"

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 31, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

Trust me, it has a battery. It's just hidden pretty well - it's probably in a tray that slides out. Unplugging it may or may not set off every other smoke alarm in the apartment.

That chirping would drive me batshit insane within a few minutes.

You're in a rent-by-the-room student apartment, aren't you?

are u a wizard

yeah its probably got one somewhere but im tired, and i have to balance on a janky rear end chair against a dresser to reach the drat thing since I don't have a stepladder here, plus finding the ~~top secret~~ battery compartment is a pain in the rear end when I can't unplug it to bring it down to eye level, so I'll just have to deal for tonight.

E: after your edit, it's nowhere near like that. this 2br is $630/month/room ($12/1300 total), where a single anywhere remotely near the school runs like 950 without any utilities so you gotta pay those separate, i think i estimated like $1300 a month to actually live in one of those a while back. this has like $250 worth of all utilities included (water,power,hvac,internet, and the lease even lists gas though I dont think we have any fixtures for that) with any overages split between rooms. all in all not a horrible deal, its just lean pickings in the orlando area if you don't wanna plunk down multiple thousands.

plus i have exactly zero friends id trust in a more traditional setup so that's out regardless.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 31, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone ever try Outer Space vodka? I hate vodka but this shot is great. It is distilled through actual meteorites 5 times and comes in a green alien head bottle. Good poo poo
If you're going to drink clear alcohol (green gimmicks count as clear) it should be from the bottom shelf. Anything else is a waste of your drinking money.

Basically the darker the liquid the more you should spend on it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

nm posted:

Even if you got paid a living wage, you wouldn't be paid enough.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Jesus, dude. Thank you for all you're doing.

I'm not being humble here, but seriously, that's the life of a BLS ambulance. We don't work 911 calls unless a city gets busy (and trust me, Peoria, Mesa, Glendale, and Chandler fall apart just about every weekend night and we get called into overflow) but we mainly do what is called Interfacility (IF) or General Transport (GT) calls. Both terms are interchangeable. And, since we're BLS, with two EMTs on board and no paramedic or RN, we get a large portion of "grandma goes home" or "behavioral" calls. Most nights we just call ourselves the crazy train.

There are a lot of days that we just get boring poo poo, like a non-combative man going back to his house. But there are other days that we get stuff like I typed in that last post, or even crazier stuff that I've posted in the Health Care Stories Thread about. And then there are awesome days where we get repeat patients, but not the lovely repeats, but the nice repeats, like the 40-something guy with Muscular Dystrophy who is like the size of a baby now, but the first time we took him home his house was filthy and we gave his "wife" some tips about how to make accessibility better for him (step 1: vacuum the goddamned floors) and then a month later we took him home and his place was much, much better.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cage posted:

If you're going to drink clear alcohol (green gimmicks count as clear) it should be from the bottom shelf. Anything else is a waste of your drinking money.

Basically the darker the liquid the more you should spend on it.

Take a bottle of chopin vodka and shove it up your rear end (after you drink the contents and realize that you are wrong and then come back to apologize).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If it's brown drink it down. If it's clear then drink it down too.

• Locked thread