Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
From the last thread:

kastein posted:

Jesus gently caress, I can see at least one glaring issue with the strut bar design, too. It should have a cylindrical wall around it, or at least more gusseting, to spread the load from that vertical plate the bars weld to out into the horizontal flange that bolts to the strut towers. Not sure it'll be an issue in actual use, but that is the weak point.

That's a problem, but I wouldn't trust the shop's rewelded strut towers to hold up, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I just got home from doing errands and a bunch of my coffee mugs and cups are in the trash. I'm throwing away a bunch of their poo poo tonight while they are out. So annoyed.

Dude, ease up. Is this their reaction to you telling them you're moving out? Does it happen all the time? Is it out of the blue?
Either way, why burn a loving bridge? Just cool off and hang on until you're outta there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

After seeing this: http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1504-1990-ford-crown-victoria-trophy-ltd/
I've become obsessed with having a mildly lifted RWD sedan to beat around in (not anything close to the capability of that Crown Vic). Parts of Fury Road that really spoke to me are finally bubbling up from my subconscious.
My thinking was to lift a couple inches and fit on narrower and taller profile tires.

Suggestions for cheap RWD platforms?

I saw this: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5321510945.html
and this: http://universalcarlifts.com/product_info.php?products_id=46

But this'd be a whole hell of a lot cheaper: http://universalcarlifts.com/product_info.php?products_id=63

Either way, I could finally recapture a New England Rallyx RWD championship. Assuming those kits didn't destroy themselves/me before I'd locked down the season.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Stock XJ Cherokees with sagged out leafs are pretty easy to find, and sedan-size by modern standards :v:

I specifically want a normal sedan that's lifted. This looks like a pure body lift, but still :getin:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

leica posted:

In the CL thread there was an older LS400 that kept popping up that had this done and it was awesome, IIRC it was in the Seattle area and we were pleading for somebody in AI to buy it. Maybe someone has a pic of it, it was pretty sweet.

[edit] Beaten, but Found the ad, looks like it's still for sale! http://buildraceparty.com/sale-lexus-off-road-sedan/

Nice, that's definitely the right price for having all that work done already.
I PMed the guy, but I doubt he knows where it is by now if it's sold.

Elviscat posted:

The SN95 platform is awesome for that kind of build, it's a big beefy chassis, with an already high ride-height, subframe works as a bashplate for the engine,

I thought the problem was that you couldn't lift the 3-link rear very far before it started canting sideways?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

leica posted:

Even if you can't find it, that's the platform i'd use, the LS is built like a brick shithouse and you can find them cheap, just hope you don't ever have to replace the starter :v:

I wonder if they're amenable to a horrifying set of spacers -- if the suspension path for each corner would be grossly affected or if the wheels are set up to stay at roughly the same camber. Didn't have to think about that with a solid axle.

Wrar posted:

Mark VIII suspension conversion?

Part of what makes the Panther appealing is how commonly available lift kits are for them. I'd consider Mark VIIs and Thunderbirds as well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

leica posted:

Well it should be way more adjustable, correct? I mean that guy seemed to have lots of wheel travel without a ton of lift, I'd rather go for that option personally, unless you're going for the lifted look as well.

I assumed the offroad LS400 had custom suspension elements. Stock, probably only one or the other wishbone would have a cam bolt for camber, right?

Called the $4k Charger Interceptor guy, and it's still available. I didn't even know the Interceptor package was a V8. That's less than $11/hp, which really speaks to me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

In hunting around for this RWD project car, I turned that $/hp metric into a game -- what's the lowest $/hp car you can find on Craigslist? Has to be in drivable condition, with any problems put-offable for a few months. Around here, it seems to be American V8s and also basketcase turbo Saabs.

You really only need to look between $1000-2000. Past 2000, there's just not gonna be many high-hp cars to make the ratio work.
I found a $700 obo Grand Marquis (200hp) that needed front end work and an $1100 LS Trailblazer (270hp) with some rust and occasional tranny slip. The Grand Marquis works out to $3.50/hp. Any car that's less than $5/hp is noteworthy by these rules.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Speaking of pisssssss --
that Charger looked ok for $4000. There was a big hand-sized patch of rust just past the apex of the rear wheel well, but the underbody was mostly rust free. Surprising for an NH cop car with 176k on it.
The owner said his bottom dollar was $3600. Here's the big thing: it smells unmistakeably of piss on the inside. The car didn't seem have been caged, but I'm guessing the smell is rooted in the rear half of the car.

Do people have experience getting rid of a piss smell? I'm reading that baking soda, steam vaccing carpets, and enzyme cleaners will help.
My main concern is that the piss went from the vinyl seattop down into the base of the seat, where steam vaccing wouldn't be as effective.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I always do -f right after xargs. Feels better that way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

This also applies to children, however.

In the darkest timeline, every commute is a philosophical experiment between killing the kid who cures cancer and the Nobel Prize carpool.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

For stuff where I would otherwise have to squat or kneel for long periods, I sit in my little kindergarten chair:

It's great for doing some stuff on bikes (I leave my personal bike stand at work so other ppl can use it).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Toyobarus are the new SW20 w.r.t. morons wrapping them around trees/flipping them on roundabouts.

buh buh buh perfect balance, and no power

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

4.5kph is less than 3mph. That's like...barely fast walking. Like no matter what shape you're in.

Maybe it was mph.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I was going off the speedo on the treadmill at Planet Fatness. Which unless I am mistaken was in KPH. I did a combined 3.75 miles in 60 minutes.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just did 3.75 miles on the treadmill. 1 at 4.5kph and the rest at 3.5kph. Gonna die.

Oh, so it's a word problem now, hunh.

1 mile at 4.5mph would be 13.3 min.
46.7 min * 3.5mph = 2.72mi
1mi + 2.72mi ~= 3.75mi that you saw.

So yeah, mph.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rhyno posted:

What part of Indiana? There's an awesome bike club here in Fort Wayne.

What makes a good bike club? I've not really been part of any automotive club, but I dunno what would make it super worth attending.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Get to my local gas station to get a state inspection. Old white haired guy in business formal snoozing behind the counter. He doesn't work there; he's waiting for his car to finish. When that car backs out, it's a Cadillac XTS.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rhyno posted:

So tomorrow my girlfriend's employer is terminating the shady as gently caress maintenance man because of various bullshittery he's pulled. Today I'm talking to another resident and they are positive he stole things from their apartment. He lives on site and they swear his kids are playing with their children's missing toys. Our unit is right next to the leasing office and our front door is in full view so I'm not too worried but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried that he had made copies of the master keys just in case he did get fired. So I've spent the morning installing window locks and I picked up a door safety bar just to give myself piece of mind while I'm at work.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/efawum/broad-city-creepy-locksmith

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wrar posted:

Logically hyperloop makes a lot of sense (as a technology). It really should replace medium to long distance continental passenger rail/air travel.

The version where they send 12 people at a time?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Been running pretty dehydrated today, and my last pissed reminded me of the Buran rating and cracked me up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dannywilson posted:

A few years back I read a book called Leviathan Wakes, and found it to be really good near-future space opera stuff. Well the dudes that wrote it continued writing novels in the series, and the universe surrounding it expanded to the point that people in Hollywood took notice. It's now being made as a television series, and it turns out, even being made by SyFy, it's really loving good. What's even better about the whole situation is it's available for free, no pay wall, no sign-in wall, episodes available day after airing, in 1080p on SyFy's website. If you have the time, I'd highly recommend at least watching the first episode.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes

The series bogs down by the 4th book, but the 2nd one is incredible in that future war vein. Holy poo poo.

The series has a special place in my heart because there's characters with my uncommon first and last names in the first two books.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dannywilson posted:

I'm really wondering how they will cast Bobbie Draper, because 2m tall ripped polynesian actresses might be hard to come by.

They already got Naomi Nagata as a normal Earther, so I'm sure they'll figure something out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If any fashion model could act, that would be a perfect role for her.
Amos is equally disappointingly small.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, it's really decent sci-fi, which I can't get enough of.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

My roommate and I each have an X1 box. This is apparently an unsupported configuration, as X1 tries to unify recording schedules and recordings to all machines under an account.
I'd really rather the old way, where each box is its own entity. I don't need to see the Food Channel and MTV stuff that my roommate records, and he doesn't need to see my comedies.

Tech came out and finally "fixed" this today.
The tech originally installed the X1s used an amplifier instead of a plain splitter to connect the modem and the living room X1, after deciding that my signal strength was borderline.
Apparently, amplifiers need to be installed upstream of the cable split between rooms.

When you install it just on one branch, the amplifier has some traffic mistranslating effect that causes the two X1s to not be able to synch up fully.
They can partially see each other (record lights go on on both when one box is actually doing a record), but don't correctly merge record schedules or share content.

The tech took the amplifier out because he said the signal was fine, and because he didn't know how to get to the upstream point in the building.
With that, the two X1s are now synched. So I still can't have my personal recording schedule, but at least neither of us will have recordings drop out / not work all the time.
The tech mentioned that the error status that customer report would see for the unsynced state should have prompted them to escalate a diagnosis, instead of just blinding resetting the boxes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you like that, try listerine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

If you were considering a RWD project car of dubious reliability: FC RX-7 or Porsche 944? Two of the sexiest looking sports cars of my youth that I still have a throbbing boner for, both pretty obtainable

I found the 944 to be a much better driver's car out of the box. The FC only had ok pedal ergonomics. The steering was a bit overboosted and really paled in comparison to the 944's.
My FC turbo was scary in the good way when you let it get past 5k. Haven't driven a 951 or higher hp 944.
I dunno if this matters to or affects you, but FCs with rear seats aren't common in the US.

I wasn't expecting it, the 90s Japanese car actually had way more electrical issues.

The 944 is one of a few cars that I would get another example of.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Raluek posted:

If they can't write embedded stuff in a structured, secure, and safe way, why would we expect them to take self driving cars seriously?

It's easy to doubt Google as an outsider to the whole car-making business, but at least they know software.
The numbers probably aren't apples to apples, but still revealing: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/google-self-driving-cars-log-more-miles-with-lower-rate-of-incidents-report-says.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I have no idea where my ice scraper is, and I know the moment I buy another one, the first one will materialize in some obvious location.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jamal posted:

I was in a big lecture hall class that a few friends were also taking. Girl I know's phone went off so about 5 minutes later I called her. She hadn't turned it/the ringer off so it started ringing again.

I had a prof that was famously vicious about no ringers on in lecture, and made that very clear at the start of the semester. This was a huge 250 person freshman class.
Some girl's phone went off maybe 10min into class, and he stopped and asked whose it was. He said that person needed to get up and leave.

She had it in her purse or something, cuz it took many rings before it was silenced. Even though nobody would snitch on her, it was obvious who it was, so the prof stared that way for like a minute until she was embarassed by the deafening silence and stood up.
He gave her a short reprimand and told her to leave. Even though she didn't want to, he didn't give her any options. I was way far back but could tell she was crying.

After she was gone, he spent another minute telling people how he would not accept cellphone rings in lecture. Didn't happen again the rest of the semester.
This was 2003. I remember thinking "I'm glad I don't have a cellphone; can't happen to me."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

corn in the fridge posted:

I'd hate life of I looked like this too.

Post mirror selfie :toxx:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My friend is selling an Elise with 5k mi for $30k. Feels expensive. Is there a lot of cachet in having so few miles?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

meatpimp posted:

I finally found an accurate visual representation of me posting:

https://i.imgur.com/NaUecfY.gifv

Same but I wear an SA-rated helmet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I bought Oikos Triple Zero yogurt just cuz Cam Newton endorsed it.

You know those ridiculous ads where non-car people comment on a debadged GM or Ford and are surprised it isn't an $80k BMW?
I want to do that for real -- find coma patients who are car enthusiasts, who've woken up after 2-5 years, and then ask them to try id some modern designs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

If that happens with a CC filling, it creates a void and also weakens the bond around the void, leading to them failing early on, especially if they're on the top of a molar.

I've had slight throbbing pains under chewing of medium-hard food on my CC crown ever since I had my root canal. Is that normal? I don't think it's ever gotten fully firm enough to chew anything on; I've had less pain simply because I've learned to favor that tooth more. A month or so after the initial crown work, I reported all this to my dentist, and he said some pain was normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gonna get a lot of bros shaking their heads at you.

• Locked thread