Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BooDoug187 posted:

:grin: But you can call me Alex...

--ander Phipps.

I'm back from the 20s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holttho
May 21, 2007

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

The Miraculous Teleporting Third Wheel

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Okay, that's it...

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 13, 2016

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Hi, I'm Bob Evil!

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
We don't take that kind of lip from our philies, Nick!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

IGOTAWHOLEBUILDINGFULLAPEOPLEHERE!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
It's time for you to decide if you're going to be one of my team players or not.

holttho
May 21, 2007

WirrlWideStandrds

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Hogama posted:

Hi, I'm Bob Evil!

I'm Bob Box-Body!

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I'm having my body reblocked tomorrow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Practical Demon posted:

It's time for you to decide if you're going to be one of my team players or not.

Life is like a CRAP SANDWICH!

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Okay, that's it...

What episode was this? And what was the one where Joel kept yanking off Crow's limbs for making bad puns?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RaspberryCommie posted:

What episode was this? And what was the one where Joel kept yanking off Crow's limbs for making bad puns?

That one is High School Big Shot, IIRC Mike did that because Tom kept singing the same song every time they showed that bridge.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

RaspberryCommie posted:

Gamera vs Guiron was the latter, I believe.

Quit while you're a-head!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

muscles like this? posted:

That one is High School Big Shot, IIRC Mike did that because Tom kept singing the same song every time they showed that bridge.

He kept singing "Don't Pay the Ferryman" and Mike got pissed.

holttho
May 21, 2007

High School Big Shot

Ughh... I wonder if he knows his face looks like that?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

holttho posted:

Ughh... I wonder if he knows his face looks like that?

I hate it when his face lights up. :(

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A million bucks!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Ten seconds into Vince's plan, and it all goes wrong. :doh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Eight... miles... WRONG!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Merlin's Shop might has to be in the top 5 of the funniest episodes of the series, so many amazing moments.

The angry psychic was the best "YOU MORON!" with the needlessly mean columnist being a close second.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Hi, I'm Bob Jackass.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Super Bob Vila!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

Merlin's Shop might has to be in the top 5 of the funniest episodes of the series, so many amazing moments.

The angry psychic was the best "YOU MORON!" with the needlessly mean columnist being a close second.

Rock and Roll Martian

holttho
May 21, 2007

WOW! A smelly used toy!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of my favorite parts of High School Big Shot is the whole bit with the dad and the ever expanding mythology of the magical fairyland.

Also how just relentlessly bleak that movie is with everyone betraying everyone else, the dad hanging himself to give his son a clean start and the bit where the hoodlum boyfriend empties an entire revolver into his girlfriend.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

One of my favorite parts of High School Big Shot is the whole bit with the dad and the ever expanding mythology of the magical fairyland.

Also how just relentlessly bleak that movie is with everyone betraying everyone else, the dad hanging himself to give his son a clean start and the bit where the hoodlum boyfriend empties an entire revolver into his girlfriend.

What are some of the other incredibly dark movies they've done?

High School Big Shot
Red Zone Cuba
Sidehackers
Merlin is pretty drat dark for what is meant to be a kid's movie
Girl in Lover's Lane (it's been a long time since I've seen it, as I recall it's incredibly dark)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Girl in Lover's Lane (it's been a long time since I've seen it, as I recall it's incredibly dark)
It ends with everyone about to turn their lives around and have a happy ending, then the titular girl get killed out of nowhere for no reason.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Don't forget he's in Teenage Werewolf.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

It ends with everyone about to turn their lives around and have a happy ending, then the titular girl get killed out of nowhere for no reason.

Yeah, that ending is really out of place and just gross.

A lot of the 50s morality movies are pretty bleak because they usually end with someone dying from their criminal ways, like The Violent Years or Teen Age Crime Wave. I Accuse My Parents avoids it just because of how rock stupid Jimmy is.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The phase "smut picture racket" amused me to no end because no one bothered to find any other term to use for it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, that ending is really out of place and just gross.

A lot of the 50s morality movies are pretty bleak because they usually end with someone dying from their criminal ways, like The Violent Years or Teen Age Crime Wave. I Accuse My Parents avoids it just because of how rock stupid Jimmy is.

I remember this coming up in the last thread; I don't remember who it was who said it, but it's because of the Hays Code. Back then, evil acts had to be punished, but heroes couldn't be the one doing the punishing. It's why so many movie villains die via falling to their deaths instead of being directly killed by the main character.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Super Bob Vila!

Iggy Pop's brother, Steve Pop!

Been thinking of that riff a lot with all the Bowie tributes coming out.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Super Bob Vila!

Now what we're doin here Bob is gettin killed by a werewolf...

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

OldTennisCourt posted:

What are some of the other incredibly dark movies they've done?

High School Big Shot
Red Zone Cuba
Sidehackers
Merlin is pretty drat dark for what is meant to be a kid's movie

I'd include The Brute Man on that list as well.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Packers won the Super Bowl!

https://twitter.com/MST3K/status/688055414521344000

holttho
May 21, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

the Hays Code.

Yay! I love the Hays Code! ...er, wait, no I don't. Let me dig up my old post about it. Here is a brief overview of it:

------
In the late 60s, when Hollywood was finally getting rid of the Hays Code, which basically outlawed anything non-wholesome, movies could actually tell realistic stories and thus got a better audience. Before then, there were tons or rules that restricted filmmakers to what the highest morality of the time was, so no one could actually put a view on the regular, American public person. It basically said things that you've always seen in those old movies, but never quite put it together. Separate beds, even for married couples; e.g. the pot dealing couple in Reefer Madness, living in sin, had separate beds. Infidelity and divorce were forbidden, if they wanted a single parent, they just had the other spouse die mysteriously before the movie begins. (Eegah! states this nicely) The iconic ending to one of the greatest movies of all times, Casablanca, ended as such because marriage vows couldn't be broken. And finally, the police, government, or the clergy could NEVER be shown to be immoral in any way unless they were so over the top cartoonishly evil that it would be seen as 'obvious that they were not realistically portrayed'. There's a ton other laughably silly rules that they had as well.
------

And as Evil Mastermind pointed out, the hero could NEVER kill the main villain unless they were essentially a conduit for The Righteous Justice Of God. Cave Dwellers, though free from the Hays Code, exemplified this to a T. Muscles O'Keefe had finally beaten up the bad guy, was about to (justifiably in the world they live in) kill him and be done with it, but then old dude steps in and says that the High Court will decide the justice. Sure enough, Pecs-a-Poppin says OK, and turns his back (this is the important part) on Swan Hat. Leftover-Chinese-Food-Foil-Sculpture takes this opportunity to try and do some stabbing, and (this is the important part) gets killed at the absolute pinnacle of his debauchery. Only our Lord and Savior can dole out that comeuppance.

Something else you may notice in the old movies that is a Hays Touch is the way violence with weapons is handled. Every time you see someone get shot, they get gut shot by someone holding a gun like this from a distance of about 3 feet:

--the worst possible way

Or if they get stabbed, it is by someone holding a knife with their arms up in the air like a Frankenstein/Dracula so campy it would make John Waters cringe.

They did this because the code thought that doing it any other way would not just be gratuitous, but would actually teach people how to commit violence with weapons. Do not show someone aiming a gun, because that might teach people that they have to aim a gun. Do not imply that a gun can strike a target from any distance. Do not show that a knife can be used as a stealthy weapon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Incredible Melting Man is also just kind of a bad time, with everyone just dying except for the weird body wife. Like, why did they murder Dr Ted Nelson at the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

The Incredible Melting Man is also just kind of a bad time, with everyone just dying except for the weird body wife. Like, why did they murder Dr Ted Nelson at the end?

There was no other way to cure his cracker habit.

• Locked thread