Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Hey, Pluggers. I haven't thought about that comic in a while, I wonder what it's up to.

Oh.

e:
I'm pretty sure that if you say your heart is young and gay these days absolutely NO ONE wonders what you mean. :gay:
(also I looked up the song they're singing on the tube and man that was even older than I expected)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Various edits.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Comic Strip Megathread is dead, long live the New Flesh Comic Strip Megathread.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm still exists. It just hasn't been amusing in awhile

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Happy New Megathread everybody!

Broom Hilda make a liar out of me. I guess you can say Gaylord on the modern comics page. But you probably shouldn’t.

Gasoline Alley is leaving us hanging. What shocking thing did mom and dad have to say to the Big Boog? Can we stand the suspense for just one more day?

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Ziggy dooms mankind.

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

More soaps! For those who came in late...

Phantom Classic is currently dealing with a fellow who wrestles professionally as the Masked Marvel. He's been disgruntled lately because nobody recognizes him due to the mask. His desire for attention has caused him to act out inappropriately multiple times in public, prompting Kit "The Phantom" Walker to punch him out twice in as many days. The Marvel's manager now wants Walker to wrestle in Marvel's place.

In Radio Patrol, there's some crooks selling "ghost insurance" and then faking hauntings in buildings that don't pay up! That one lady and that kid sidekick Pinky took up residence in one of these "haunted" buildings to see if they could catch the con artists in the act. Covers got blown and now the lady and the kid are kidnapped. Hence the warrantless search we are witnessing today.

Rip Kirby's current story is still pretty fresh, so there's not yet much to say. The goatee'd fellow is a snake oil salesman who is worming his way into this rich lady's affections. There will also be a down-on-his-luck makeup artist involved in this scam at some point, but we don't yet know how.

Big Ben Bolt is brand new! All we know is there was a prison riot and Ben is covering it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I love that that's become Mark's standard way of answering the phone. "NAME, you old THING! Still ACTIVITY?"

Tunicate posted:

Is Jam Esallen auditioning to be the next writer on The Phantom?
Not the first time that's been asked.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm still exists. It just hasn't been amusing in awhile
Was it ever?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
There's two comics that I post on a daily basis.

Calvin and Hobbes is about a troubled young boy, his tiger, and his long-suffering parents. It was created by Bill Watterson.

Ripley's Believe It Or Not has a long and eventful history, which you can read about in detail right here. In short, it chronicles some of the oddities and ephemera filling our world.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo, the continuing story of the denizens of the swamp and the almost impenetrable patois that makes many thread readers' eyes slide right down the page. (Walt Kelly; January 3, 1958)

We're roughly two and a half months into Peanuts: Year Four. For those coming in late, there are a lot of people here who are convinced there's nothing quite as pure and satisfying as the first few years, before the kids turned on Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown turned on himself, and Snoopy became just a kid with a big nose who sleeps outside. The implication is that wherever they decide that line was crossed, everything that followed--the whole four and a half decades--was a certain type of artistic failure, and not just a different type of artistic success. This must be what Pink Floyd fans go through, except in this conversation Sparky is his own Syd Barrett and massive worldwide success is being (or dealing with) an acid casualty.

tl;dr: This thread has a complicated relationship with Charlie Brown and company. (December 17-20, 1953)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkest Auer posted:

Classic Dilbert

That last panel, or even just the half of it with Dogbert talking, could be used in response to so many current Dilbert strips as well as Adams's other writings.

It's weird to see strips that are decades old showing more self-awareness than what the guy is doing now.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Might as well throw up a few edits I made from the last thread. Most of my edits are stealth edits, some obvious, some not.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wanamingo posted:

Hey, Pluggers. I haven't thought about that comic in a while, I wonder what it's up to.

Oh.

e:
What I find most remarkable about this is this one is the best strip of 2015, according to the guy that does it. This. This joke that is the equivalent of when, as small children, me and my friends used to snicker when the theme to The Flintstones said "We'll have a gay old time" is the best he's produced all loving year.

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic is currently dealing with a fellow who wrestles professionally as the Masked Marvel. He's been disgruntled lately because nobody recognizes him due to the mask. His desire for attention has caused him to act out inappropriately multiple times in public, prompting Kit "The Phantom" Walker to punch him out twice in as many days. The Marvel's manager now wants Walker to wrestle in Marvel's place.

Sure, he'll be wearing a mask, but is no one supposed to notice he's a full head shorter and 25 lbs lighter than the Masked Marvel?

F Minus is a gag-a-day one panel that I think is good for a chuckle more often than not. I think it is usually pretty clever at least, and the art is simple but really effective at conveying what he wants, especially facial expressions.

Mary Worth is a wish-fulfillment strip for old ladies who think young people's problems would all be solved if they just respected and listened to their elders. The current storyline is Mary has traveled across the country to visit a little girl that she is not related to and barely knows but with whom she has some kind of weird and creepy relationship. The girl's parents were apparently fine with having this virtual stranger come and stay with them for an indeterminate amount of time that has lasted throughout the busy holiday season.

Also the little girl is psychic, and will one day save the world or something thanks to Mary's support, which is better than the support she gets from her parents, who are horndogs that are constantly loving and don't understand their daughter's potential.

Rex Morgan MD is a strip about a little girl named Sarah who is all-powerful and holds her family hostage with her powers. Recently, a male sibling was sired (Micheal), and it is unknown what kind of competition this will bring to her.

The Morgan clan is fairly wealthy despite Rex seeing perhaps 2 patients a day and June doing God knows what she does, but that doesn't matter, because they get everything for free from rich friends whose paths they frequently cross and who fall under the spell of Sarah.

They are just starting a storyline about Sarah visiting the headmaster of her new school, who will be so impressed with the brilliant and talented Sarah that she will be skipping 2 grades and be allowed to take only the classes she wants.

Secret Agent X-9 is about a secret agent, code named X-9. It's a vintage strip from the 30s they started posting on CK about 7-8 months ago because it won some March Madness-style tournament with other strips for fan votes to be re-run, or something like that. Right now we're at July 1936. While it hasn't had a storyline so far that has knocked me out of my socks, it occasionally has some well-drawn action, and the pace isn't bad most of the time.

Right now he's undercover in Florida (I think?) as a shady beach bum, looking into a ring that smuggles Asians in for cheap/slave labor.

Apartment 3-G was cancelled a couple months back, and then a little while later they started running the vintage strips, starting with 1970 (we are now in February of that year). It's about 3 young women, Margo, LuAnn, and Tommie, living together in NYC. Right now if I have this right there is some drunk girl who their friend Web has gotten mixed up with and she is annoying him but won't leave him alone. She's now conned her way into his apartment by telling the superintendent she's his sister, because in the 70s you could do that easily. Web is also somehow screwing over Margo's boss in some kind of merger of their agencies or something, and he's also moving on LuAnn even though Margo was interested in him.

I think that's what's happening anyways. I could be mixing up some characters. They kind of just threw us into the middle of this storyline.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 2, 2016

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD is a strip about a little girl named Sarah who is all-powerful and holds her family hostage with her powers. Recently, a male sibling was sired (Micheal), and it is unknown what kind of competition this will bring to her.

The Morgan clan is fairly wealthy despite Rex seeing perhaps 2 patients a day and June doing God knows what she does, but that doesn't matter, because they get everything for free from rich friends whose paths they frequently cross and who fall under the spell of Sarah.

They are just starting a storyline about Sarah visiting the headmaster of her new school, who will be so impressed with the brilliant and talented Sarah that she will be skipping 2 grades and be allowed to take only the classes she wants.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 12/21/14

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy is a strip that has gained a reputation for featuring crossovers with other comic strips. This story has a guest appearance with the x-ray specs found in the ads in the back pages of comic books.

Judge Parker is currently focusing on famed wino Sam Driver, and his ongoing struggles to find the right tile for his office.

9 Chickweed Lane is a jumble of scribbles and words that occasionally form a coherent plot about a disgraced ballerina and a fiddler. Despite the name, no action actually takes place at 9 Chickweed Lane. The syndicate thought that changing the name to 45 Degree Dutch Angle Boulevard would be confusing to Brooke McEldowney's remaining reader.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal is a look at Brooke McEldowney's failed comic strip. This is not to be confused with the failing comic that usually occupies this spot.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane is a jumble of scribbles and words that occasionally form a coherent plot about a disgraced ballerina and a fiddler. Despite the name, no action actually takes place at 9 Chickweed Lane. The syndicate thought that changing the name to 45 Degree Dutch Angle Boulevard would be confusing to Brooke McEldowney's remaining reader.

I'm actually okay with those two comics. Not the whole storyline, just those two strips.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

I'm posting Pluggers now.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pluggers are desperately trying to justify bringing the word fag back into common practice without actually saying it.

Mark Trail, by contrast, is quite comfortable being fabulous:

Thought this was going to turn into 127 Hours on the funnies page :ohdear:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (November 3, 1928)

Peanuts (December 28, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Second day back into Crankshaft and already I'm regretting this decision.

Rip Haywire

RIPCORD.

Should've guessed.

Out Our Way (July 9-10, 1928)

Note for late arrivals: As it was mentioned yesterday, casual comedy racism has been a thing in these panels almost from the beginning. We took a vote when I started posting OOW, and "history warts and all" won. It seems like a good rule of thumb not to Disneyfy the past if you're going to explore it, so there we are.

Case in point: the first Popeye story in Thimble Theater involved a dice-shooting janitor at one point. Let's just say he wasn't drawn as a blue-eyed blonde. (July 22, 1929)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

RIPCORD.

Should've guessed.

What the hell was the point of the reset if they're just going to re-do everything that was reset?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

What the hell was the point of the reset if they're just going to re-do everything that was reset?

To mercilessly gently caress with the gocomics commenters who wanted to hook Rip up with Cobra?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Shugojin posted:

To mercilessly gently caress with the gocomics commenters who wanted to hook Rip up with Cobra?

A worthy goal.

Luann

No, you didn't have a huge fight. You acted snotty to him until he got sick of trying to communicate with you and left. A huge fight would have been a much better for your relationship.

And Bernice's "problems" are barely worth acknowledging.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
drat, that's a fine catte.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

This is a weird argument since obviously Mad Max: Fury Road was movie of the year.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

So is the solution to this crisis going to be "maybe Atlantis should have some doctors"?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

So is the solution to this crisis going to be "maybe Atlantis should have some doctors"?

Or drugs.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Thankfully Gabriel warns us about white-nose syndrome a safe distance away from his horrifying white eye syndrome.

Also, I quite enjoy Pearls Before Swine (although these days it's a bit of a guilty nostalgic pleasure), so what's another comic? Today we learn that the ever wide-eyed Pig is secretly a colossal pervert.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh hey I haven't posted my comics yet this year!

The Dinette Set is a comic by Julie Larson that actually ended in November, and now we're looping back around to the beginning.

This is a strip about white trash. The whitest trash, really. The strip caused a lot of confusion back when it was first posted before we realized it was a "laugh at" comic, not a "laugh with". Julie has/had a deep loathing of the suburban lower middle class idiot.

Working Daze is written by John Zakour and drawn by Scott Roberts. It's supposed to be a sort of Dilbert-esque workplace comedy with nerds, but in reality it's the laziest Big Bang Theory jokes you could possibly imagine. As a result, it's one of the more hated comics in the thread.

One of my favorite things about Working Daze is the Wikipedia page, which was written by Roberts and reads like the introduction to a 25th anniversary compilation of a beloved strip. Seriously, click that link, it's magical.

Oh, and :siren:fetish alert:siren:! Two of the characters have what appear to be utter cosmic power, but use said powers solely to turn people into animals or inanimate objects. There's been some mind control stuff too, there's a medusa who turns people to stone, and one recurring character is a belly dancer who's so hot she kills peoplepeople combust to piles of ash when they see her. These are treated as jokes instead of horror.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is by Ruben Bolling, a political cartoonist known for the very good Tom the Dancing Bug. SFPC was originally based on a recurring thing Tom would do; a parody of a newspaper comics page (and related ads) that made fun of the conventions of newspaper comics. SFPC got "spun off" into its own thing, although a lot of the strips are from the original pages. Recurring gags include The Ghost of James Caan (who's not dead), Dinkle the UN-lovable Loser, and Percival Dunwoody, Idiot Time Traveller from 1909.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pooch Café is a comic strip by Paul Gilligan about an allen key-shaped dog who is just a real rear end in a top hat. What a super dick this dog is, you don't even know. If you're new to the strip, he might not seem so bad. Just wait.

Ballard Street is a daily one-panel by Jerry Van Amerongen that offers glimpses into the lives of the people that live in a particular suburban neighbourhood. In practice, it reads like a man having a new yorker caption contest with himself and losing.

Lost Side of Suburbia is by Kory Merritt and it's online-only, but he's worked with Paul Gilligan before and it's hosted on GoComics and I like it, so I post it. This one is not very easy to explain in two sentences, and the current storyline brings back a ton of characters and settings from previous stories, so if it looks interesting you should just go catch up on it from the beginning. There's a bit in there that starts off as a tribute to Calvin and Hobbes and then gets kind of uncomfortable and weird, so you have that to look forward to!

I post edits sometimes too. I have two regular series going on that I haven't added to in like a year:

Hägar the Historically-Accurate Viking

Full gallery: http://imgur.com/a/goA13

Everybody is an rear end in a top hat to Winnie the Pooh

Full gallery: http://imgur.com/a/oH6NE

(I only edited like half of those. The Pooh newspaper strip has a much different tone than the disney movies.)

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 2, 2016

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street is a daily one-panel by Jerry Van Amerongen that offers glimpses into the lives of the people that live in a particular suburban neighbourhood. In practice, it reads like a man having a new yorker caption contest with himself and losing.

Still better than Bizarro.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

EasyEW posted:

Note for late arrivals: As it was mentioned yesterday, casual comedy racism has been a thing in these panels almost from the beginning. We took a vote when I started posting OOW, and "history warts and all" won. It seems like a good rule of thumb not to Disneyfy the past if you're going to explore it, so there we are.

And yes, this was progressive, because the black cowboy isn't depicted any more farcically than the white cowboys.

Look at that top row. Doesn't it imply that Charlie Brown was made into a snowman, and then Shermy-on-a-sled rammed into him?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endless Mike posted:

Drowning them in filth and sewage is fine, so long as the "literally killing them" part of it can eventually be stopped.

I really hope that's not how this goes, but it probably will be.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, I'm gonna see if I can contribute something this year other than just padding my post count.

Rhymes with Orange proves that you can make dad jokes regardless of your gender and orientation. Hilary Price, the creator, is on vacation. Rather than do reruns while on break, like some creators, she lets other cartoonists use her strip. This week's guest cartoonist is Rina Piccolo, also known for Tina's Groove and being the only funny one of the Six Chix.

Buni by Ryan Pagelow is a wordless strip about a cheerful cartoon rabbit, published three times weekly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A3G

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

And yes, this was progressive, because the black cowboy isn't depicted any more farcically than the white cowboys.

Considering that the earliest black guys in OOW were in chicken thief jokes, I'm inclined to agree to a point.

Of course, we also have to deal with how he's drawn like a photo negative Homer Simpson.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 2, 2016

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I'm sure this is well-trod ground for the comics thread, but my god, the number of rerun strips in the newspaper is depressing. There's loads of cartoonists out there, so I'm assuming it's an audience issue, as only old people and children visiting their grandparents' house that doesn't have wi-fi read newspaper comics anymore. Still, good lord.

Keep up the good work with your thread, newspaper comics goons. The edits are somethin' else. :allears:

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sorry, kid. They didn't cure you. By tomorrow morning your skin will be as blue as that fish out the porthole there.

Broom Hilda

Gasoline Alley

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

I love that that's become Mark's standard way of answering the phone. "NAME, you old THING! Still ACTIVITY?"

Not the first time that's been asked.

Was it ever?

It was slightly amusing there, because Mark Trail is a better strip. Also because the Polititoons thread still has Peters' description mentioning this thread. So figured I'd put in a rare MG&G.

Tina's Groove by Rina Piccolo in 2002 (who is one of the contributors of Six Chix), follows the staff of Pepper's Restaurant. Particularly Tina, the title character. It's relatively realistic about restaurant life.

Family Circus created by Bill(y) Keane in 1960, now authored by his son, Jeff(y) Keane. The kids are dumb, and Borden made some wonderful edits of the wife, Thel.

Rose is Rose created in 1984 by Pat Brady. It's sunshine and rainbows glurge, with a weird Guardian Angel. And it used to be sort of fat-fetish fodder in the past, but not in the past few years. Probably since the new artist started working on it. I post it because I have fond memories of reading it at my grandma's in years past.

One Big Happy started in 1988, by author Rick Detorie. It's another family slice of life strip, but not awful glurge usually. Pretty realistic in the way kids act.

Foob, better known as For Better or For Worse by Lynn Johnston, ran from 1979 to 2008, and rebooted in 2010 as new "reruns", wherein Lynn is redrawing parts of the story and rewriting some things. Not that it's helping, she's still kind of nutty. Foob was a perjorative used in one of the later strips, and the name stuck.

Someone with more time can tell the tales of Lynn. But she's an...interesting lady, with interesting opinions.

Compu-Toon launched in 1994 by artist Charles C. Boyce. Boyce is a lover of tech, but he also doesn't understand tech. Like, at all. Also possibly senile.

Bizarro, 1985 by Dan Piraro. Single panel absurdist humor. The number by Piraro's name is a signal for a number of hidden objects within the panel. The list of them can be found on his site.

Piraro is weird. And sometimes the strip generates a lot of debate based on his opinions.

Dilbert by Scott Adams, started in 1989. Adams is a self-absorbed, self described smart guy. MRA, holder of bad opinions. Wally is the best character. Dilbert himself is a self-insert Mary Sue anymore.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 2, 2016

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Julet Esqu posted:

A worthy goal.

Luann

No, you didn't have a huge fight. You acted snotty to him until he got sick of trying to communicate with you and left. A huge fight would have been a much better for your relationship.

And Bernice's "problems" are barely worth acknowledging.

I picture Delta looking her old friends up on Facebook and thinking "Thank God I got the hell out of that town."

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Manuel Calavera posted:

Bizarro, 1985 by Dan Piraro. Single panel absurdist humor. The number by Piraro's name is a signal for a number of hidden objects within the panel. The list of them can be found on his site.

Piraro is weird. And sometimes the strip generates a lot of debate based on his opinions.

But what will you do about the crusty jugglers??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Manuel Calavera posted:

Did they rip the store out of the ground and drop it in that neighborhood?

• Locked thread