Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Stream is over! 1.2 million dollars were raised! See you next marathon!

Once again, we launch the new year with a speedrunning marathon!

Awesome Games Done Quick is an annual speedrunning marathon for charity featuring runners from Speed Demos Archive (SDA), SpeedRunsLive and TASVideos, collecting money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. It's the biggest speedrunning event of the year!

AGDQ2016 happens from January 3rd to 10th, a week full of everything you like to see - there's speedruns, there's races, there's tool-assisted superplay demonstrations.

Important links

Schedule: Found here: http://gamesdonequick.com/schedule - this schedule will automagically adjust to your timezone, so you don't need to calculate anything. Except for when you can sleep, which is never.

Watch it at: The event is streamed at Twitch, but the marathon event has a specific page that you should use, which is at: http://gamesdonequick.com/ (once the marathon starts, will have stream and chat and all that fancy stuff). The Twitch page is http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick but only use that if the main page shits itself.

If you want to watch in your media player of choice, you can use Livestreamer. How to use it:

BloodWulfe posted:

Windows users can grab a precompiled version right here. Here's a quickstart guide. Basically the only thing you need to setup is your video player location. The config file has a bunch of default locations that you can just uncomment. It should look something like this:

# VLC
player=“C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe”

Notice that the pound sign in front of player is removed. Replace VLC with whatever you prefer, but make sure MPC is up-to-date if you use that. Open a command prompt, enter livestreamer.exe twitch.tv/gamesdonequick best, and that's it. You can replace best with low/medium/high if needed.

Mac users can run sudo easy_install livestreamer from a terminal window, and then use the same command as Windows (sans .exe) to launch it. It defaults to using VLC, but you can use --player to specify something else.

Linux users can grab it via pip.

You can also use Livestreamer Twitch GUI, which is, well, a GUI for Livestreamer, if you don't feel comfortable around command lines.

Official recordings will go up eventually, once they have all been processed. You can find a list of timestamped Twitch VODs here, and to minimize people uploading monetized videos on Youtube during the marathon, GDQ staff will try to get at least temporary versions up on Youtube as soon as possible. Watch this space for the link.

Chatting: Twitch chat is best not used, as it's not going to be the official chat channel. It will be under heavy load either way, and might turn to slow and subscribers only mode if it gets too bad. Instead, the official chat is as usual on IRC.
Server: irc.quakenet.org
Channel: #sdamarathon
Direct link
Quakenet Webchat (Mibbit will not work)

There's also a SA speedrun channel that you can use for slightly slower conversation:
Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #speedruns
Direct link
Mibbit Webchat

Get cool shirts: TheYetee has a variety of cool shirts you can buy for $11 (or $13 for the larger sizes) during the whole event! A percentage of the profit from these shirts will be donated to the charity towards the end of the event. You can find them here.

=============

AGDQ: What it is all about

All money collected during Awesome Games Done Quick goes directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation, with nothing going to anyone participating in the event. It's 100% charity. All attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses.

Games Done Quick have hosted a number of very successful marathons for a number of years, with AGDQ2014 being the first marathon to break one million dollars in donations for a single event. Last year, AGDQ2015 raised over 1.5 million dollars for PCF and Summer Games Done Quick 2015 raised over 1.2 million dollars for Doctors Without Borders.

As the event grows each year, more work is put into improving the quality of the stream. There's always going to be some hiccups, though, because everyone working with the event is only human. Well, except for TASBot. (despite what you might have heard, UraniumAnchor is, in fact, not a machine.)

=============

Donations: Learn them, live by them

SDA marathons up to and including half of AGDQ2013 used a donation widget known as ChipIn. ChipIn crashed and burned horribly during AGDQ2013, so SMK stepped in and whipped up an entirely new system that's been used for all GDQ marathons and a few other speedrunning charity events since (with some upgrades along the way).

You will be able to leave a comment with your donation. During earlier marathons, all comments were read out on stream, but as more and more donations come in each year, it has become impossible to do so. Therefore, there will be a filtering system in place. In general, this is the idea:

quote:

-The program should auto-filter donations that are less than a dollar, but in case if one slips through, filter it out.

-Some people do not want their names read out loud when they donate. There will be an anonymous flag you can check so that the donation reader doesn't read their name by accident (like we have done often in the past).

-Donations insulting someone should be filtered out.

-If a donation is solely twitch faces, hashtags, or just generally spam, then filter it out.

-On that note, if someone donates a small amount of money just to write a mountain of text, then filter it out. We'll be busy enough reading short donation comments. The only exception we should make for mountains of text is...

-Personal stories relating to our cause should be read.

-If a donation comment is creative and funny then it should be read. Just FYI, while some people might find twich faces funny, they're certainly not creative.

There is also a scrolling ticker for donation comments on the main page. No, they're not going to put that on the stream.

The donation tracker for AGDQ2016 can be found at https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/agdq2016.

=============

Donate for glorious prizes and incentives!

One of the more popular things to drive donations are the donation incentives and the raffle prizes.

When you donate, you can have your donation go towards one of the many donation incentives that are available for different games. This involves naming characters, selecting different modes, in some cases even choosing which game will be played. All the incentives are available to view on this page of the tracker.

There's always prizes to win, and you can see a list of all of them in the tracker as well. Prizes come in two categories - regular and grand. Regular prizes you get entered into the drawing for if you make a donation of the minimum amount specified, mostly between $5 and $20 with currently a single outlier at $40, during the specified game or game block. Grand prizes you get one chance to win per specified donated throughout the entire event, up to three tickets for each person. At the time of writing, the grand prize or prizes have not yet been put up, but they'll be there. This is another space you can watch.

Now, what is there to win?

A bunch of really cool stuff!

A SNES repro cart with Final Fantasy 4, 5 and 6!

Zora Link plushie!

Samus print!

Majora's Mask New 3DS!

Perlers!

Super Time Force vinyl record!

And a whole lot of other amazing thingamajings. Just check the list in the tracker.

=============

FAQ:
Q: What runs should I watch?
A: There is no one answer to this question. Anyone you ask will give a different answer. But nine out of ten people will tell you to make sure to tune in for AwfulGDQ. There'll be attempts to get some recommendations up in the thread eventually.

(but make sure to not miss the Brain Age TASBot demonstration.)

Q: Will ____ be there this year?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. It's probably a wise idea to avoid bringing up some of the more controversial runners/commentators from the past.

Q: So did you hear about that marathon when that one guy-
A: OH MY GOD SHUT THE gently caress UP.

Okay, no, really, let's not do that. In the past, we've had rumours, accusations, shady tweets, unverified pastebins and all sorts of poo poo about who did what with whom and why. Dumb jokes, stale memes, all that bullshit that has no place in the speedrun marathon discussion. Keep that poo poo out of the thread, oh my god. This is not the place for that. Previously I've had to close marathon threads because people wouldn't shut the gently caress up and I will do it again if necessary.

First and foremost, this thread is for discussing the speedruns of AGDQ2016. Obviously, you can talk about things that happen during the event as well, but bringing up two year old drama about the current runner isn't relevant to the discussion to any degree.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. AGDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon. There have been talks about expanding it to two streams, but that idea seems to have been mostly abandoned.

Q: Why didn't they read my donation comment?
A: We went over that already, but in short, because they get so insanely many comments that it's not possible to read them all.

Q: Where is this happening? It looks different from last year.
A: Then your eyes are wrong (or they're in a different room and/or set things up differently), because AGDQ2016 is in the same place as AGDQ2015 - the Hilton Washington Dulles Airport Hotel. AGDQs up to and including 2013 took place in the 4H Center in Maryland, but due to its growth it had to relocate.

=============

So that's about it, really. If there's any important information you find missing from this OP, let me know.

And now, a song.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Okay, so, run recommendations. I've been bad at actually getting that done in previous years, so if people have pastebins, Google documents or posts that they update with recommendations (and preferably a short reason why they're recommended), let me know and I'll link them in this here post.

Kenny's recommendations:
Splatoon - A great run that started off the marathon. Very technicaly with the squid stuff, some nice skips and boss tricks.
Iji - Pacifist run of a great indie game.
Super Metroid 2 players 1 controller - Do you need to know more, really?
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! - A blindfolded race between the two best Punch-Out players in the world and that's really everything I should need to tell you.

Kikas posted:

Highlights:

-Splatoon
-Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz
-Transformers: Devastation
-Half Life 2
-THUG 2
-Super Mario Maker
-Escape From Atlantis, Alpha Zylon and Animorphs
-Puch Out blindfolded race
-Spyro The Dragon
-Shovel Knight race
-TASBOT

Honorary mentions:
-Crypt Of The Necrodancer
-Talos Principle
-Crash Bandicoot
-SM64 Multiplayer
-Darksiders 2
-DMC4 was a cool run
-Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 10, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Good luck 2 the gamers...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Good luck 2 the posters...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stay tuned for the official Games dating thread, Awful Goons Done Quick.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Can't wait for the Left 4 Dead 2 goop.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

FactsAreUseless posted:

Please hurry, I'm lonely.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

SETUP 5 None 0:10:00 0:10:00 Bonus Incentive: SMW2: Yoshi's Island (Any% - mt76907, carl_sagan, rheal)

get donating boys

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Can you actually start donating now?

ript
Mar 24, 2004

*incoming terrible post*
Man no KevinDDR this year? Those Tetris runs were hands down the most hype thing I've watched all year on Twitch

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The biggest sin this year is the lack of Big Jon.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Rorus Raz posted:

The biggest sin this year is the lack of Big Jon.
He'll be there on the couch quite a few times

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm looking forward to the Transformers: Devastation run. halfcoordinate's Vanquish run was terrific and doing another Platinum game should be fun...

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Random Stranger posted:

I'm looking forward to the Transformers: Devastation run. halfcoordinate's Vanquish run was terrific and doing another Platinum game should be fun...
It's very fast and nearly non-stop, you should enjoy it. Of course you would know this already if you watched Scrubathon :arghfist::awesomelon:

use eLmaGus

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ript posted:

Man no KevinDDR this year? Those Tetris runs were hands down the most hype thing I've watched all year on Twitch

I'm actually glad they took a break from that run this year. I doubt there's anything terribly new they've done, Most of those guys were already able to reliably hit the super mega death end stage stuff (whatever it was called), the only limiter on them was the fact that it was random when you got your grandmaster test.

I'd rather not burn out such a great run, look at runs like witwix's Boshy run: Super polished and funny, but he did it for like 3 years straight and it got dull. Plus I'm sure it's really hard to get the Japanese guys over here to MD. The best news from the last GDQ Tetris run was the fact that they are actually making The Grandmasters 4, supposedly due to the interest built up by being on GDQ (at least partially, since they had previous canceled a 4th installment in 2009).

Maybe they'll bring it back when the new game comes out and there are new challenges to show off.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I am ready.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Did they really get rid of the awful games block?

Why would they do such a thing :(

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

staplegun posted:

Why would they do such a thing :(
For whatever reason the schedule isn't listing when blocks begin and end, but I'm assuming the awful games block is running Wed/Thurs unless Lester the Unlikely is actually good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

staplegun posted:

No?

3:50 AM Lagoon PJ 1:40:00 Any% 0:10:00
5:40 AM Lester the Unlikely Radioactive_Rat 0:20:00 Any% 0:05:00
6:05 AM Low G Man: The Low Gravity Man ZakkyDraggy 0:20:00 Any% 0:10:00
6:35 AM Rocky & Bullwinkle authorblues 0:07:00 Any% 0:03:00
6:45 AM Shinobi infinitemystery 0:15:00 Any% 0:05:00
7:05 AM King of Kings: The Early Years Linkums 0:18:00 The Wise Men, Normal 0:07:00
7:30 AM Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom feasel 0:15:00 Any% 0:05:00
7:50 AM Hudson Hawk WhiteHat94 0:10:00 Any% 0:05:00
8:05 AM Escape from Atlantis Dragondarch 0:10:00 Any% 0:05:00
8:20 AM Utsurun Desu.: Kawauso Hawaii e Iku Iongravirei 0:15:00 Best Ending 0:05:00
8:40 AM Johnny Bazookatone guished 0:22:00 Any% 0:08:00
9:10 AM Alpha Zylon Studio 0:09:00 Any% 0:06:00 Donation Incentive: Save the Scientists (0:01).
9:25 AM Animorphs Keizaron 0:40:00 Any% 0:05:00

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Oh cool. I did a ctrl-f for "awful", found nothing, and immediately went to post about how agdq 2016 is ruined.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I resent Low G Man being in the awful games block.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

agdq 2016 is still ruined because they couldn't get kevinddr back for tetris block again

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mario Maker has a lot of potential for a silly chunk of time with popular Mario runners. Hope it goes well.

Also, they FINALLY took the hint and dropped Binding of Isaac. Thank god.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why do they keep scheduling fire emblem runs when they're always boring gently caress-ups

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
^It's a fan favorite. Even though they're terrible runs it's hard to get rid of because so many people want it^

Rorus Raz posted:

Mario Maker has a lot of potential for a silly chunk of time with popular Mario runners. Hope it goes well.

Also, they FINALLY took the hint and dropped Binding of Isaac. Thank god.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the blind run in Mario Maker.

And they really should have never included a roguelike/lite game in the event. It's having minecraft runs, just a horrible idea.

So far my top picks for stuff to watch are:

-Transformers: Devistation (1-handed percent)
-Battleblock theater (although I don't think they have Stamper back to commontate)
-Spelunky
-The arcade game block
-The Valve game block followed by Talos principle and Wolfenstein.
-Mario Maker blind race
-Stepmania
-Halo 4
-TASBLOCK!

The rest ill probably just watch if I got nothing better to do or catch the vods when they go up.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think Fire Emblem is the popular Japanese franchise I like the least

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Really cannot wait to see Alpha Zylon played live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j3XGi2hd0w

That game is Special.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is that a tool-assisted run?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

fire emblem owns, but speedruns of it are only interesting in a planning sense. watching them is torture.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Really cannot wait to see Alpha Zylon played live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j3XGi2hd0w

That game is Special.

OMG WHAT :stare:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The Animals is poo poo.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fister Roboto posted:

Is that a tool-assisted run?

of course, all goons are tools

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Fire Emblem rules but its pretty much one of the worst games I can think of too speed run.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The people bemoaning the lack of tetris should hang around for stepmania. Honestly, I'm not particularly familiar with tetris but it seems like they're hitting the top and there's no a whole lot more left to show us. Stepmania is the same kind of "what the gently caress kind of robot is this guy?" but not exactly the thing we've seen before.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

MooCowlian posted:

The people bemoaning the lack of tetris should hang around for stepmania. Honestly, I'm not particularly familiar with tetris but it seems like they're hitting the top and there's no a whole lot more left to show us. Stepmania is the same kind of "what the gently caress kind of robot is this guy?" but not exactly the thing we've seen before.

Do you have any links to check out to get a taste of what to expect? I'm looking forward to Stepmania showcase, but want to see what that really entails.

I assume it's more people using a keyboard and now DDR style with a dance mat.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Crain posted:

Do you have any links to check out to get a taste of what to expect? I'm looking forward to Stepmania showcase, but want to see what that really entails.

I assume it's more people using a keyboard and now DDR style with a dance mat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFVxh_CE2oA

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MooCowlian posted:

I'm okay with Tetris not being on the schedule just because we've had it two marathons in a row. Getting Stepmania in for another high skill demonstration of something that's more score attack is just fine by me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pretend I made a cuck joke

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Endorph posted:

why do they keep scheduling fire emblem runs when they're always boring gently caress-ups

PoR might be boring but it really shouldn't be a fuckup. The run becomes Marcia airlifting Ike to the map objective where they both oneshot everyone and become engorged off exp snowballing. There's a couple rng moments with crit rolls etc but it shouldn't be anything as bad as, say, status effects or catch rate in a pokemon run.

I like the game so I'll probably watch anyways, hopefully there's some good commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

KennyMan666 posted:

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. AGDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon. There have been talks about expanding it to two streams, but that idea seems to have been mostly abandoned.

There's always Bonus Stream :v:

• Locked thread