Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pizzatime

Playable build:

http://pizzamakesgames.itch.io/the-evil-warlock-tower

since the off-topic mermaid talk got a little out of hand last thread, we're relocating to this place. I hear there might even be a sticky in it for us.

today I figured out how to use groups and iterating over them for real. imagine hundreds of lines of code going if this value of object one is one the value of this object will be two, if this value of object two is one the value of this object will be two etc. etc. to something like this:

besides not driving you completely insane, this new way of doing it has the added benefit of all the things that will be doing the same thing working right away once you're done with the first. say I'm writing a function for a worker automatically joining your force at the beginning of each day, it'll automatically work for all workers as it's nothing but a value going up by one.

All of this came to be after I was super frustrated with how slow I was progressing in general as well as my games generally really lacking in the gameplay department. both was mostly thanks to my code being super basic. looking forward to improving further in that respect.

hope calling this pizza's game log doesn't give off an all too self-centered vibe. it's just that I've been having these and will be having these and thought this slight little bit of branding will help people that like it/don't like it to know what it is.

it's a lot of fun to post a bit about game development here with you peoples

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime

holy poo poo I just wrote a system to handle multiple simultaneous message all by my dumb self

the problem was that every thing you assign your workers to has a response in the form of a text pop up when your worker is done with it. if you have more than one worker, these messages will sometimes overlap. if you just have a function that sets the text to whatever you want and displays it every time a worker is done, the newest one will replace the previous one if it's still showing. that means if the player is unlucky, message 2 could replace message 1 the second it's displaying if the timing's bad.

the solution I came up with for this problem was to check if there's a message currently being displayed, wait for it not to be displayed anymore and then displaying the second one.

though, now it gets complicated. what if this is the case, but then there's a third message lining up after the second one, with that one currently waiting for the first one to be done being displayed? yeah, that's why I'm kinda amazed that I managed to figure this out logically and execution-wise.

jeez, time for some weed

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 1, 2016

treasure bear

good work but there is a problem with your code

it should look like this:

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
That's C right?

----------------

Pizzatime

treasure bear posted:

good work but there is a problem with your code

it should look like this:

hah I know, somehow got used to the not super cool 1337 night theme

drilldo squirt posted:

That's C right?

it's haxe

also there's some other problem with the code. it displays the messages in reverse stored order. you know, like if you'd restock grocery shelves by just placing the new stuff right in front of what's left in the shelf. it's cool though already know how to fix it thanks to that shelf restocking metaphor. displaying ID == 1, then change ID == 1 to 20 and substract 1 from 2 to 20, basically.

drilldo squirt

I've never heard of haxe, but the compiler website looks neat.

----------------

Pizzatime

been listening to the soundtrack of Lufia: The Legend Returns while coding all day yesterday.

recreated my favourite piece of melody from it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsCkvsZTdBw

Pizzatime

aren't they cute?

mind the limitations of the spectrum to only display two colors per 8x8 tile. other ways to display them would be black and transparent, but then they couldn't pass tiles that aren't black + other color. other suggestions? I mean I kinda like how it looks even, makes them stand out

Pizzatime

hey I could probably have a playable like alpha build up by tonight, anybody interested?

Pizzatime

going pretty drat well

alnilam

Pizzatime posted:

aren't they cute?

mind the limitations of the spectrum to only display two colors per 8x8 tile. other ways to display them would be black and transparent, but then they couldn't pass tiles that aren't black + other color. other suggestions? I mean I kinda like how it looks even, makes them stand out

What if the whole box was a lil square boxy face instead

The expression could indicate whether they are idle, working, hungry, dead, etc

Pizzatime

alnilam posted:

What if the whole box was a lil square boxy face instead

The expression could indicate whether they are idle, working, hungry, dead, etc

that's an idea. I've never been into that dizzy guy and minesweeper though.

Pizzatime

Playable build up:

weird

by zen death robot
the code is pictures so i can't copy paste to steal it

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pizzatime

nah it's just that I also post to twitter and re-use the images

Pizzatime

you're a real treat hick magnet

Scaly Haylie

Pizzatime posted:

since the off-topic mermaid talk got a little out of hand last thread, we're relocating to this place.

haven't read the thread yet, but lol

Pizzatime

fixing bugs

drilldo squirt

Pizzatime posted:

fixing bugs

:rip:

----------------

Pizzatime

Piso Mojado

Pizzatime posted:

hah I know, somehow got used to the not super cool 1337 night theme

the dark theme is much easier on your eyes and will help you code longer without strain.

Piso Mojado

also put some drat comments in your code. :redass:

drilldo squirt

Piso Mojado posted:

Seriously, like you think you won't need them but you will.

----------------

treasure bear

you'd better be using version control

Pizzatime

Piso Mojado posted:

it's one file at 2000 lines if I would've commented it all there wouldn't be any game yet

Pizzatime

treasure bear posted:

you'd better be using version control

for a jam game developed in a month? come on

Pizzatime

Piso Mojado posted:

the dark theme is much easier on your eyes and will help you code longer without strain.

that's what https://justgetflux.com/ is for

treasure bear

Pizzatime posted:

for a jam game developed in a month? come on

yes

Pizzatime

I keep backups of the project manually

Tebulot

im hip now bois

Three pounds there pal, I really ought to stop playing though and I need to go to bed.

Also pressing esc restarts the whole game :(

Pizzatime

didn't get around to make a menu to bring up with escape yet, so it just takes you to the beginning, sorry!

Pizzatime

a nice person donated 3 bucks for this game. don't know if he was from byob but thank you nice person

posting smiling

Pizzatime posted:

I keep backups of the project manually

this is such a pizzatime move

Pizzatime

proof

Pizzatime

okay you got me I don't know what version control is I can only imagine it as a vague online thing that does stuff without your permission which I would lower my eyebrows at

posting smiling

Pizzatime posted:

okay you got me I don't know what version control is I can only imagine it as a vague online thing that does stuff without your permission which I would lower my eyebrows at

you can use git or mercurial on your local machine. you just type git add file_you_changed.hx other_file.png to say hey this file has changes that i want to save, then you type git commit to say keep this version of these files at this point in time saved forever. then if you gently caress something up or want to remember how the code used to be you just say git checkout HEAD~1 or something to get the version of the code one commit ago. it's much faster than zipping up your source directory and you never have to lose or forget anything

posting smiling
and you can make a bitbucket account and make private repositories there so you have off site backups as well for peace of mind

Pizzatime

that does sound super convenient I'm screwing around a lot with git in cmd anyhow. thanks a lot I'll try and get into the habit of doing it this way now that I know how it's done thanks to you!

posting smiling
cool :) good luck on your game jam.

haxe is really cool to work with. i wish more languages had a proper macro system like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime

Thanks. The two jams are totally unknown and don't have a lot of participants. I'm just kinda doing them to have some sense of direction and pressure.

I've been looking around for other game engines/frameworks without a UI (so not unity, construct etc.) and it seems haxeflixel is about the most well known. If only I wouldn't keep encountering openfl-side bugs that nobody seems to be able to solve...if you're interested: https://github.com/openfl/openfl/issues/962

now I'm just wondering what to do with the export folder. would like git to completely ignore it's existence.

• Locked thread