Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germansimp
May 28, 2013

MOTYC - Santa Rhyno vs Renee Young's composure, Talking Smack 2016-12-20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
HM - Fatal 4-Way for the No. 1 Contendership (Bobby Roode, Tye Dillinger, Andrade Cien Almas, Roderick Strong) - NXT TV 12/21

Not the ending I wanted, but so many good moments. Dillinger's reaction to Roode's kick-out is the best acting I've seen in a wrestling match this year. Roderick really did a lot to solidify himself in that match, after having been a mostly nonexistent character over the last couple months. I wish Cien hadn't spent so much time out of the ring, but he got some good moments in too (even if his Tranquilo pose barely made it in during the fade to commercial)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

ThePariah posted:

MOTYC - AJ Styles vs James Ellsworth, December 20th 2016.

Germansimp posted:

Seconded

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Germansimp posted:

Seconded.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's Final Gate 2016 - 12/25

HM: Masaaki Mochizuki and Don Fujii vs. Takehiro Yamamura and Kaito Ishida
Old men beating up rookies so if you're into that this match is really good.

HM: Open the Brave Gate Championship - Eita vs. Jimmy Kagetora
Best match of Eita's reign. If it had had an extra 3 to 5 minutes leading up to the finish it would have been a MOTYC.

HM: Open the Triangle Gate Champion Decision 3 Way Match - Jimmy Susumu, Ryo “Jimmy” Saito, Jimmy Kanda vs. Masato Yoshino, Kotoka, Ben-K vs. Cyber Kong, Mondai Ryu, El Lindaman
Really fun spotfest. Susumu was obviously the all-star of this match but really good performances from Ben-K and, of all people, Kotoka.

MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - CIMA and Dragon Kid vs. Shingo Takagi and T-Hawk
Most of the match was a really good tag match but when CIMA got busted open, I wouldn't say the action kicked up to another gear, but the drama of the ending put it over the top to MOTYC.

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - YAMATO vs. Naruki Doi
A really loving fantastic match. Despite already being 35 minutes long, I feel like this match could have easily went another ten minutes and it would have been even better. This honestly could have been the best match of 2016 if; a) the right guy had won, and b) it hadn't taken place in the Corpus Christi of Japan. Still though, absolutely phenomenal.

Final Gate was a really good show y'all.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 25, 2016

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
MOTYC: The Great Space War match 12/15 - Michinoku Pro Wrestling

I'll edit later once I find out who was actually in the match.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

MOTYC: The Great Space War match 12/15 - Michinoku Pro Wrestling

I'll edit later once I find out who was actually in the match.

Oh man they had another one?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

A really loving fantastic match. Despite already being 35 minutes long, I feel like this match could have easily went another ten minutes and it would have been even better. This honestly could have been the best match of 2016 if; a) the right guy had won, and b) it hadn't taken place in the Corpus Christi of Japan. Still though, absolutely phenomenal.

2nd the MOTYC. I haven't had time to watch the undercard yet but I really wanted to see the main event so I watched it today. Like most really great Dragon Gate main event title matches, it starts out as a slow burn and then ramps up like crazy. Besides formerly being the greatest tag team ever, these two have fantastic chemistry together in singles and I hope we'll get to see more between them, especially once Doi gets affiliated with another unit (which seems likely soon given the aftermath).

Watch this one before the December champion thread, so DG can keep the streak of late-year poll wins alive.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Best match of Eita's reign. If it had had an extra 3 to 5 minutes leading up to the finish it would have been a MOTYC.

HM: Open the Triangle Gate Champion Decision 3 Way Match - Jimmy Susumu, Ryo “Jimmy” Saito, Jimmy Kanda vs. Masato Yoshino, Kotoka, Ben-K vs. Cyber Kong, Mondai Ryu, El Lindaman
Really fun spotfest. Susumu was obviously the all-star of this match but really good performances from Ben-K and, of all people, Kotoka.

MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - CIMA and Dragon Kid vs. Shingo Takagi and T-Hawk
Most of the match was a really good tag match but when CIMA got busted open, I wouldn't say the action kicked up to another gear, but the drama of the ending put it over the top to MOTYC.

Nth

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Eh, could be seen as either an HM or MOTYC, but:

HMOTYC: Baron Corbin vs AJ Styles vs Dolph Ziggler, 12/27/16.

A great match all around.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DarkstarIV posted:

HM and the start of Baron's run for Most Outstanding 2017

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

Thirding this for HM, another great wrestling performance from the great wrestler Dolph Ziggler

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
HM: Gentlemen's duel: Jack Gallagher vs Ariya Daivari 12/27/16 205 Live

Would've given it a Motyc but that scoundrel Daivari cheated.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Senerio posted:

HM: Gentlemen's duel: Jack Gallagher vs Ariya Daivari 12/27/16 205 Live

Would've given it a Motyc but that scoundrel Daivari cheated.

Factually the greatest duel in WWE history. 2nded.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Honorable Mention of the Year Candidate

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

TV Match of the Year

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

Saw the rest of the show and I'm gonna Nth all these.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

Nthing this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM - DIY vs. Tozawa/Tajiri, NXT Osaka, aired on 12/28

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Seconded

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MOTYC: Io Shirai vs Mayu Iwatani - STARDOM 12/22

I dont watch a whole lot of joshi but this is probably the best joshi match of 2016. Pure intensity start to finish

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

oatgan posted:

I dont watch a whole lot of joshi but this is probably the best joshi match of 2016. Pure intensity start to finish

second this

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

sportsgenius86 posted:

Third

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

oatgan posted:

Shirai always turns out great matches. Third.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 29, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
MOTYC: Ricochet vs Will Ospreay - OTT: I Forgot the Subtitle 12/28

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

abraham linksys posted:

MOTYC: Ricochet vs Will Ospreay - OTT: I Forgot the Subtitle 12/28

The Dream Before Christmas.

And 2nd.

Durk Hendrunkqs fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 29, 2016

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

oatgan posted:

Fourth

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Where the heck am I supposed to watch these allegedly fantastic STARDOM and Dragon Gate matches?

Dragon Gate thread gave me nothing.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the dragon gate shows usually take a week or more to show up on video hosting websites and the standouts get screened by Daryl Surat over in the psptv thread (y'all are crazy for that twin gate moty nomination)

stardom has its own VOD streaming service but I wouldn't be surprised if that match found its way to youtube or daily motion eventually

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

oatgan posted:

the dragon gate shows usually take a week or more to show up on video hosting websites and the standouts get screened by Daryl Surat over in the psptv thread (y'all are crazy for that twin gate moty nomination)

stardom has its own VOD streaming service but I wouldn't be surprised if that match found its way to youtube or daily motion eventually

dg goes up on the real hero drive like oatgan said about a week or so after it airs. i don't like giving direct links to it since they do do ippv with niconico, since they directly use niconico to justify how much western outreach they do.

i wonder if people who watched the twin gate were watching some weird match from a parallel dimension. it was the worst twin gate match in years. the two teams had no chemistry (look at the go-home korakuen which foreshadowed lack of it) and cima was obviously concussed a few minutes in which made its issues even worse.

i'd nth the mochifujii/over generation tag, eita/kagetora and the triangle gate match, but can't go motyc on the main event. it's an hm in my mind, but i'm also someone who doesn't like naruki doi in the epic odg title match style. i totally get why people would rate it higher, but it's not for me.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Wazzu posted:

Where the heck am I supposed to watch these allegedly fantastic STARDOM and Dragon Gate matches?

http://www.stardom-world.com/

it's 750 Yen a month, and their main event consists of some of the best wrestlers in the world right now.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

Thirding.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

dg goes up on the real hero drive like oatgan said about a week or so after it airs. i don't like giving direct links to it since they do do ippv with niconico, since they directly use niconico to justify how much western outreach they do.

Yeah, I try to avoid the RealHero archive for DG shows because I want to directly support them through Niconico, but it's a great resource for minor promotions that I would never see otherwise, and for rewatching older DG shows to track down specific matches. If GAORA ever offered an overseas streaming service with access to everything from Toryumon to current DG, I'd construct a goddamn trebuchet to launch my money at them.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

HM: Cage vs Texano - Best of Five Conclusion, Lucha Underground 12-28-16

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Did I miss the 2017 Match thread? If not, in the meantime:

HM: Goto vs Shibata for the Never Openweight Title, Wrestle Kingdom 11.

Terrifying match, just terrifying - but not in the reckless way the KUSHIDA vs Hiromu Takahashi match was. Amazing ending.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Did I miss the 2017 Match thread? If not, in the meantime:

HM: Goto vs Shibata for the Never Openweight Title, Wrestle Kingdom 11.

Terrifying match, just terrifying - but not in the reckless way the KUSHIDA vs Hiromu Takahashi match was. Amazing ending.

Second.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MOTYC - Tetsuya Naito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Intercontinental Title at Wrestle Kingdom 11

Their poor knees! Amazing match, amazing crowd, great finish and for an even bigger treat not the one I expected it to be!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito v Hiroshi Tanahashi, WK11, Jan 4th 2017

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

St Evan Echoes posted:

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito v Hiroshi Tanahashi, WK11, Jan 4th 2017

I'm not really sure there's going to be a better match this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jackofarcades posted:

I'm not really sure there's going to be a better match this year

There might be a better match right now

• Locked thread