Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Taste is subjective. This thread is not for actually determining the match of the year, merely a badly curated list of recommendations based on the consensus of this message boards tastes. If you want people to watch more wrestling find helpful and encouraging ways of sharing the wrestling you love with others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hey guys I love you all here is some help and encouragement

https://www.highspotswrestlingnetwork.com

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Smoking Crow posted:

can we have a promo of the year competition
you jerks would just give it to rock every year regardless of what anyone else does

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Illinois Smith posted:

you jerks would just give it to rockNick Gage every year regardless of what anyone else does

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: The Royal Rumble match, Royal Rumble, 1/24

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

NienNunb posted:

Nth and also

HM: AJ Styles vs Zack Sabre Jr, RevPro High Stakes 1/16/16

I forgot to vote for this one when I watched it but I watched it again so second

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I think of HMs as having something cool about them that make them stand out vs the ordinary technically good wrestling match, so AJ/Jercho is a totally fine addition imho since it was AJs first match and was a cool moment. Of course it wasnt a MOTYC, and thats fine.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

we're destined to have this "what is an hm" discussion every year arent we

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There's too many people that are too liberal with HM in that they throw it out for matches that didn't suck and they probably wouldn't even remembering have seen it five weeks later.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

There's too many people that are too liberal with HM in that they throw it out for matches that didn't suck and they probably wouldn't even remembering have seen it five weeks later.

Luckily we have this list so people can remember them.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

HM used to be defined in the OP but I deleted that section

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the thread's methodology is poor

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

be the change you want to see in the thread

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Nominating every slightly above average Raw match for HM is annoying but I don't care that badly so this isn't my hill to die on.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

HM = any match that causes the viewer to look up from his or her laptop/mobile device/second monitor and pay attention to the match for more than 20% of the total match time
MOTYC = any match longer than eight minutes that causes the live crowd to visibly respond to the match

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

people have given HM nominations to 4 minute raw matches before

but then they pull their head out of their rear end and give the full MOTY to Sting vs Triple H

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i rewatched the match, wasnt that special, withdrawing my HM nomination

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
For the Royal Rumble nominations, both the Rumble and LMS matches were HMs for me. Neither of them were on the level of Okada/Tanahashi, Nakamura/Styles, or even Shibata/Ishii.

I'll probably remember the Rumble by the time the year is over, but probably not the LMS. I'll definitely remember Okada/Tanahashi and Nakamura/Styles (and Shibata/Ishii for the headbutts alone).

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

I can tell you right now there are plenty of HM in the last thread that I do not remember.

By the end of LMS I was 90% confident this would be the case for Dean/Owens by December, and right now it's upped to 99% after giving it a second thought

Nth

Second

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
MOTYC: "DoiYAMA" Naruki Doi/YAMATO (c) vs "Maraha Isappa" Ryo "Jimmy" Saito/Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee!!Mee!! - Open the Twin Gate Championship - 1/17 Open the New Year Gate in Osaka - Dragon Gate

imo, the best Dragon Gate Twin Gate match of DoiYAMA's historic reign and the best Twin Gate match since Amigo Tag vs Original Jimmyz. Both teams brought it, there were some ridiculous bumps/interference (it's DG so it should go without saying) and an incredible ending stretch. It's easily the best DG match of January and is another addition to the "Best Tag Team in the World" resume of Doi and YAMATO.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

MOTYC: "DoiYAMA" Naruki Doi/YAMATO (c) vs "Maraha Isappa" Ryo "Jimmy" Saito/Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee!!Mee!! - Open the Twin Gate Championship - 1/17 Open the New Year Gate in Osaka - Dragon Gate

imo, the best Dragon Gate Twin Gate match of DoiYAMA's historic reign and the best Twin Gate match since Amigo Tag vs Original Jimmyz. Both teams brought it, there were some ridiculous bumps/interference (it's DG so it should go without saying) and an incredible ending stretch. It's easily the best DG match of January and is another addition to the "Best Tag Team in the World" resume of Doi and YAMATO.

2nd. That was super exciting.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

3rd, though I liked the YAMATO/Doi and Susumu/K-Ness series better.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

nth. God:drat:

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
HM: Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada and Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto and Katsuyori Shibaa, 1/30/16

This is a clear HM imho. Historical significance, awesome moments, tons of emotion and a really good mach.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Nth. :mmmhmm:

Was Doi doing a Rainmaker parody with his entrance gear?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sigmachiev posted:

HM: Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada and Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto and Katsuyori Shibaa, 1/30/16

This is a clear HM imho. Historical significance, awesome moments, tons of emotion and a really good mach.

I was surprised Shinsuke phoned it in for his last match but I guess Korakuen ain't sumo hall or the dome, so perhaps I shouldn't have been

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

Nth. :mmmhmm:

Was Doi doing a Rainmaker parody with his entrance gear?

I think those were both supposed to be New Years necklaces.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
HM: Jimmy Susumu/Ryo "Jimmy" Saito/Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee!!Mee!! vs Shingo Takagi/Naruki Doi/YAMATO - Dragon Gate Truth Gate at Korakuen - 2/4/2016
MOTYC: 3-Way Elimination Loser Disbands Match: Masato Yoshino/Akira Tozawa/T-Hawk/Shachihoko BOY vs Masaaki Mochizuki/Dragon Kid/Big R Shimizu/Kzy vs Shingo Takagi/Naruki Doi/YAMATO/Kotoka - Dragon Gate Truth Gate at Korakuen - 2/4/2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

HM: Jimmy Susumu/Ryo "Jimmy" Saito/Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee!!Mee!! vs Shingo Takagi/Naruki Doi/YAMATO - Dragon Gate Truth Gate at Korakuen - 2/4/2016

MOTYC: 3-Way Elimination Loser Disbands Match: Masato Yoshino/Akira Tozawa/T-Hawk/Shachihoko BOY vs Masaaki Mochizuki/Dragon Kid/Big R Shimizu/Kzy vs Shingo Takagi/Naruki Doi/YAMATO/Kotoka - Dragon Gate Truth Gate at Korakuen - 2/4/2016

2nding both.

Holy poo poo that main event. First time in a long time I was on the edge of my seat because the stakes were so high. I had expected the end result up until VerserK were added and BxB Hulk showed up. The latter half of the match was incredibly fast paced and some of the eliminations were really surprising. RIP Dia.Hearts

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Didn't see the first match but I'll definitely 3rd the main event

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The best part about not really following Dragon Gate anymore is coming across the silly-rear end new faction names in this thread every year.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

4thing the main and 3rding the HM

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

this match was everything i love about dragon gate. shingo takagi is my favorite rudo in the world

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck yeeeessssss. Easily the best match of 2016 so far.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
HM: Ryota Hama vs. Yuji Okabayashi, BJW 2/9

he lariated his rear end

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

I was gonna nominate this one too. 2nd.

theminx
Jun 7, 2007
I has a bucket.
New Japan Pro Wrestling
2/11/16 New Beginning in Osaka

HM: IWGP JR Heavyweight Tag Title Match : 3 Way ; Young Bucks v ReDragon (Bobby Fish, Kyle O'Reilly) v Ricochet and Matt Sydal
Seemed a bit better put together than the 4Way at WK10, Really Enjoyed it

MOTY: Never Openweight Championship Title Match: Tomohiro Ishii v Katsuyori Shibata
Brutal Offense, Crowd super hot. Thought it was going to be a carbon copy of their WK10 match but it was quite different and just as brutal

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

theminx posted:

New Japan Pro Wrestling
2/11/16 New Beginning in Osaka

MOTY: Never Openweight Championship Title Match: Tomohiro Ishii v Katsuyori Shibata

2nd. I liked this better than their Tokyo Dome match.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Price Check posted:

2nd. I liked this better than their Tokyo Dome match.

3rd

Honorable Mention:

Kazuchika Okada vs. Hirooki Goto - NJPW New Beginning: Osaka 2.11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theminx
Jun 7, 2007
I has a bucket.

Thauros posted:

Honorable Mention:

Kazuchika Okada vs. Hirooki Goto - NJPW New Beginning: Osaka 2.11

After a second viewing i'll def throw a 2nd behind this. Seems like lots of Okada Matches ramp up pretty slowly leading up to a dynamite finishing sequence. Goto is super underrated

• Locked thread