Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Another look at Space cat's adventures...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
edit:Dunno why this double posted...

Rondette fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 11, 2016

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Space Cat was so nice it came back twice. I do like Space Cat though! He has the best cat goatee.

More sketches. Woo.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I feel like the iterative drawing is helping my progress. My faces are improving. I'm not done yet though! Also, started working on the neck and collarbones.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Way behind on drawing in the new year but here is a sketch dump.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 11, 2016

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks everyone :)

30/100

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday's cat..

...and today's, which made me sad to draw :(

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Rondette posted:

Yesterday's cat..

...and today's, which made me sad to draw :(

I'm loving your cat-a-day drawings. That last one, aw :(

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Humboldt Squid posted:

Thanks everyone :)

30/100

I'm liking the feather ball. It has really interesting texture, patterns, and colors.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
I had this ready to go and thought I'd wait until I'd done the drawing of the day and then oooops things happened and now I'm posting this anyway though you moved on:

Dayum, just like with the tree studies, you're really knocking these outta the park. Look at that geode! It's so sparkly :swoon:

And then there's so much more to the thread all of a sudden!

I love your linework on this so much.

Yes forever.

:cry: and they had been such happy cats up until this

I thought about doing a Bowie tribute too but I also knew I couldn't handle it yet so crabberfly

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Same old stuff.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I'm pretty meh on this. I did it without a reference.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I wait for the day someone genetically modifies spiders to have wings.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Another bar sketch. This one with ballpoint.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

rzal posted:

Same old stuff.

Do you mind if I ask what you use for references, if anything, for these practice sketches? I should really be doing something like this for at least a few minutes each day, I suppose.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Venetus posted:

Do you mind if I ask what you use for references, if anything, for these practice sketches? I should really be doing something like this for at least a few minutes each day, I suppose.

I've used http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/ for references in some of my stuff.

But, for the page of faces type ones I'm just drawing 20 circles and going from there. I saw it on a youtube video.
I like throwing this guy's videos on while I sketch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ufz75UvHs

Here is today's page:

I'm still really inconsistent.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

40/100

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Those are nice but they all need more subsurface scattering to look more fruity and translucent.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

Those are nice but they all need more subsurface scattering to look more fruity and translucent.

Yeah I can see that now, I'll have to go back to them when I'm no longer tired of looking at fruit.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Humboldt, all your texture studies look incredible.

rzal posted:

I've used http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/ for references in some of my stuff.

But, for the page of faces type ones I'm just drawing 20 circles and going from there. I saw it on a youtube video.
I like throwing this guy's videos on while I sketch.
(video)

Thanks! :)

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Thank you!

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Today was nose day at the sketch gym. Just did a GIS for human nose for some refs.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

..I was tired.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone!

I was laid out flat on Tuesday by a sudden and horrible illness, I could barely lift a pen but I managed this

I was getting back to normal yesterday and watching a TV film called 'The Scandalous Lady W' and fell in love with the costumes

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Quick little sketch/proof of concept for a piece I'm doing for a group show in February.

Cheeseburger Anatomy

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Wheeeeeeee :buddy:

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

More ears and noses practice.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday I was halfway through drawing Cath Palug, a mythical Welsh cat monster who got into a barney with King Arthur, when I heard about Alan Rickman dying, so naturally he was today's draw. Turned out a little more...furry...than I wanted it to but I think Rickman was like half cat anyway so it couldn't be helped.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Working on this for a tattoo design. Could really use some comments and critique! The swinging arm seems all wrong to me and of course the bottom half isn't finished. It is supposed to be Hephaestus. The greek god of blacksmithing.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

sigma 6 posted:

Working on this for a tattoo design. Could really use some comments and critique! The swinging arm seems all wrong to me and of course the bottom half isn't finished. It is supposed to be Hephaestus. The greek god of blacksmithing.

You've got a good design with the spirals in the smoke. Your pose is all jacked up though. Here is a basic reference http://m.123rf.com/photo-7108965_blacksmith--workers-collection.html

rzal fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 16, 2016

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Trying to get back into sketching as I haven't been able to for a month thanks to my cat biting through my thumb and the subsequent infection+nerve damage...

Hnnngh how do I get this rusty this fast.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

sigma 6 posted:

Working on this for a tattoo design. It is supposed to be Hephaestus. The greek god of blacksmithing.

While I dig the billowing clouds, nothing about this says specifically "greek" to me. Just a suggestion, but it might read better like a greek god if you incorporated some traditional greek patterns somewhere? Into his tunic, into his beard, the anvil, background possibly?

The square wave and the negative-space wave patterns especially scream greek. That is, if you don't wanna go full greek and do one of those pottery painting-style dudes with curly hair, thunder thighs and a tiny dong.

I've made a mantisfly

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Today was kinda boring. meh.

rzal fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 16, 2016

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

rzal posted:

You've got a good design with the spirals in the smoke. Your pose is all jacked up though. Here is a basic reference http://m.123rf.com/photo-7108965_blacksmith--workers-collection.html

Thanks guys!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Sigma please fix your long nose problem. I say this with love.

Edit:

Your browline and hairline are pretty much in the right place. The back of the skull is also pretty much fine. The problem is that the lower portion of the face is always elongated by about a third. The distance between the hairline and the browline is supposed to be about the same as the distance from the browline to the bottom of the nose and the bottom of the nose to the bottom of the chin. These are the basic thirds of the face. The top of the ear is generally supposed to be level with the eyebrow, and bottom of the ear is level with the bottom of the nose.

You've got the nose elongated so that it ends where the bottom of the lips should be. Then the lips are down where the bottom of the chin should be, and the chin beyond that.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 16, 2016

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I saw some fanart but the fanart was actually body pillows and then I was pissed off because why am I not making money selling body pillows?!

..oh. Right.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

50\100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
time to draw

• Locked thread