Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You h8rs might not be hype for Jungle Book but my audience has giggled like hyenas every time when they do the little whistle cue at the end, usually followed by a nostalgic "aww".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

resurgam40 posted:

The Forest is dropping soon too, and does not look good,

I've been seeing the commercials for this and it's funny because for a movie set in Japan about the Japanese suicide forest there doesn't seem to be any Japanese people in the movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I knew all faith in humanity was lost when I saw The Force Awakens in a sold out theater and most of the theater laughed and cheered at the hummed version of The Bare Necessities at the end of the Jungle Book trailer.

Also I just found an article titled "First Trailer for Disney’s Jungle Book Will Give You Chills".

No it loving doesn't, it just makes me angry. The original animated Jungle Book was great. I'm sure it still is. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. But I'm 100% sure it doesn't need a live action remake rife with trash CGI. A new generation doesn't need a goddamn remake of The Jungle Book. Parents just need to show their kids the original and be done with it. That's been working fine for decades.

This version will probably have fewer pop culture references than the animated one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Angry Birds Movie - These birds need anger management class!

I'm surprised it took this long to get that made. Now I'm wondering if it's too late. But then again I thought Frozen looked awful and was going to bomb, so what do I know

It is getting a bit weird now with all the 10+ year sequels to movies that didn't need it (My Big Fat Greek Wedding, another Bridget Jones, another Independence Day, another Bad Santa, etc).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The original animated Jungle Book was great. I'm sure it still is. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. But I'm 100% sure it doesn't need a live action remake rife with trash CGI.

The CGI actually looked good, I thought. I've never seen the cartoon and am not part of the target audience, so I don't really care one way or the other, but seems hard to fault them on that account.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 2, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Another notable bomb from 2015 was Rock The Casbah, the Bill Murray movie with a really low budget (I think it was less than $20 million) but grossed even less.

One thing interesting about Ouija 2, they actually managed to snag the director of Oculus.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The original Jungle Book isn't even that great in terms of the classic Disney cartoons made while Walt was still alive, it's like one or two good musical numbers and a bunch of padding and dated pop culture references. The best part of it was the character of Baloo and even then they spent the next 30 years recycling his character and voice.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

One thing interesting about Ouija 2, they actually managed to snag the director of Oculus.

Doesn't mean much really. Piranha 2 was after all (at least partially) directed by James Cameron.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

The original Jungle Book isn't even that great in terms of the classic Disney cartoons made while Walt was still alive, it's like one or two good musical numbers and a bunch of padding and dated pop culture references. The best part of it was the character of Baloo and even then they spent the next 30 years recycling his character and voice.

yeah i was gonna say, i don't recall Jungle Book being particularly memorable outside of the two big musical mumbers.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

I knew all faith in humanity was lost when I saw The Force Awakens in a sold out theater and most of the theater laughed and cheered at the hummed version of The Bare Necessities at the end of the Jungle Book trailer.

agreed, i too hate it when people enjoy things. i spent christmas dressing up as santa and breaking into people's houses so i could steal all the presents in whoville.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
When I saw Star Wars the Zootopia teaser trailer with the sloths played and the crowd went nuts for it so I think the people expecting it to be a flop don't need to worry.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Doesn't mean much really. Piranha 2 was after all (at least partially) directed by James Cameron.

Pirahna 2 sounded like it had a way crazier behind the scenes drama. Wasn't Cameron a last minute replacement when the original director left before filming was done?.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We should also acknowledge the 2003 direct-to-video-except-that-really-short-cinematic-release sequel to the 1967 animated film which has cameo appearances by Timon and Pumbaa and a cover of the classic "I Wanna Be like You" by Smash Mouth if we're gonna ride the "Why do they need to gently caress with the classics?" train.
It ended with Mowgli facing off against Sher Khan over a pit of lava. :effort:

I'm vaguely surprised that Disney didn't churn out several more direct-to-DVD sequels.

Edit: I guess Disney somewhat put the brakes on mining their library in recent years.
Here's a behind-the-scenes teaser for a Dumbo sequel that never got made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpac3C3P76Q

Here's a mentalfloss.com article about Disney sequels that entered production but were then turned around (but some later got sequels anyway)

All those direct to video sequels were farmed out to an Australian studio that used North Korean labor if I remember right. It was when they were redoing their animation department and wanted to get something out. Anyone have the link to that old thread about bad Disney animation? The one that talked a lot about Oliver and Company?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

It is getting a bit weird now with all the 10+ year sequels to movies that didn't need it (My Big Fat Greek Wedding, another Bridget Jones, another Independence Day, another Bad Santa, etc).

To up the ante, they need to drag out the corpses of Lemmon and Matthau for The Odd Couple 3.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Acne Rain posted:

agreed, i too hate it when people enjoy things. i spent christmas dressing up as santa and breaking into people's houses so i could steal all the presents in whoville.
that's the plot of krampus

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Saddest Rhino posted:

that's the plot of krampus

Which was a thing that needed to exist for some reason

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

broken clock opsec posted:

Yes, it was.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Krampus is the new zombies.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

broken clock opsec posted:

u didnt see it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Angry Birds Movie - These birds need anger management class!

I'm surprised it took this long to get that made. Now I'm wondering if it's too late.

Oh, it most certainly is too late. Rovio has essentially laid off any staff that isn't working on the movie, and they've poured effectively all their remaining cash on hand into financing the production and marketing. When it flops, it will very likely bankrupt the company.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Anyone know anything about Diablo? It has Eastwood's son, and Walton Goggins in it, but I've always known January to be where studios send movies to die.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcOTiTVuizU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm actually surprised that Bad Santa 2 is still being made. I remember back in 2013 it actually got a release date for that Christmas, and then completely vanished a few months later. This thread is the first I've heard about it actually being back on track.

On the subject of movies that just completely vanished, is there any news at all about when The Moon and the Sun will be released, or why it was dropped so suddenly in the first place?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

If Asscreed is good, it could supplant Mortal Kombat as the best video game adaptation.

If any video game adaptation was good, it could supplant Mortal Kombat as the best video game adaptation.

DrVenkman posted:

Both FANTASTIC FOUR and TOMORROWLAND did a lot better worldwide than what I thought they did.

Worldwide is a big place even though the US market is still the biggest single group of ticket buyers (China may catch up next year, but as pointed out at the end of the last thread, the financial numbers for movies in China are pretty much a complete fabrication). The thing to remember about worldwide grosses is that the studios get a fraction of a fraction of the gross in those other nations due to the various cuts taken by different organizations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

If any video game adaptation was good, it could supplant Mortal Kombat as the best video game adaptation.

Get a load of this guy

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah i was gonna say, i don't recall Jungle Book being particularly memorable outside of the two big musical mumbers.

I'd bet more people remember Tailspin than Jungle Book

Cacator posted:

I've been seeing the commercials for this and it's funny because for a movie set in Japan about the Japanese suicide forest there doesn't seem to be any Japanese people in the movie.

There is also an upcoming Bruce Lee biopic called Birth of the Dragon that focuses on a white guy instead of Bruce Lee, but it doesn't have a release date or a trailer yet so I didn't list it. I've been regularly insulting the movie since 2014 and it will be awesome to be proved right when it comes out and is terrible and whitewashed.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Did that other Japanese suicide forest movie, the one starring McConaughey that premiered at Cannes and that everyone hated, ever come out? Or did it actually go from Cannes to being buried forever in a vault?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

I'd bet more people remember Tailspin than Jungle Book

There is also an upcoming Bruce Lee biopic called Birth of the Dragon that focuses on a white guy instead of Bruce Lee, but it doesn't have a release date or a trailer yet so I didn't list it. I've been regularly insulting the movie since 2014 and it will be awesome to be proved right when it comes out and is terrible and whitewashed.

The perfect companion to all those ones made after he died where they cast some guy who looked like him and spliced in some old footage or home movies or a news broadcast of his funeral or whatever. I hope the white guy is Chuck Norris.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Random Stranger posted:

Worldwide is a big place even though the US market is still the biggest single group of ticket buyers (China may catch up next year, but as pointed out at the end of the last thread, the financial numbers for movies in China are pretty much a complete fabrication). The thing to remember about worldwide grosses is that the studios get a fraction of a fraction of the gross in those other nations due to the various cuts taken by different organizations.

The other thing to remember is that this fraction is completely made up and no one you'll be able to talk to actually knows what it is.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slate Action posted:

Did that other Japanese suicide forest movie, the one starring McConaughey that premiered at Cannes and that everyone hated, ever come out? Or did it actually go from Cannes to being buried forever in a vault?

The Sea of Trees is the film you're talking about, and it probably got buried for a couple years at least.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

resurgam40 posted:

Yeah, I note the OP didn't actually have that one at the beginning,even though it's dropping in two weeks. Blocked it out, or forgot? :v:

I wasn't sure myself if Bayghazi had yet to come out of if it was washed out in the Star Wars tidal wave. I haven't seen any commercials with Beardo Chuck pretending to be tough for a few days.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Isn't Blart 2 a moderate success? Double it's budget back on just the domestic market alone seems like for any other film it would be viewed as pretty good even if it did less business compared to the original. Add into that, it probably moved a lot of DVDs and had the TV rights bought up pretty quick.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

The MSJ posted:

Pirahna 2 sounded like it had a way crazier behind the scenes drama. Wasn't Cameron a last minute replacement when the original director left before filming was done?.

No, Cameron filmed for like two days before the producer fired him for not getting enough quality bikini shots. Despite doing next to nothing Cameron was the only crew member without an Italian name so he kept the billing

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hiring Cameron also helped fill CanCon requirements.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

greatn posted:

It looks pretty loving awesome man. It looks like it will instill a sense of wonder and awe, maybe even fear of nature which Jungle book the cartoon certainly doesn't.

it's not going to include i wanna be like you which is far and away the best part of the jungle book.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I've never seen the cartoon

:eyepop:

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 2, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I hope it's a remake of No Retreat No Surrender.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

raditts posted:

I wasn't sure myself if Bayghazi had yet to come out of if it was washed out in the Star Wars tidal wave. I haven't seen any commercials with Beardo Chuck pretending to be tough for a few days.

I've seen a ton of commercials for it on Comedy Central of all channels, though on second thought I guess it makes sense that they're trying to get the Call of Duty crowd.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Gods of Egypt looks kind of cool, it's the same guys who did the Immortals right?

JediTalentAgent posted:

Isn't Blart 2 a moderate success? Double it's budget back on just the domestic market alone seems like for any other film it would be viewed as pretty good even if it did less business compared to the original. Add into that, it probably moved a lot of DVDs and had the TV rights bought up pretty quick.

To be considered a "success" a movie has to make roughly about triple it's budget back. Production budgets listed usually don't include marketing budgets, which are usually a third to half the movie's budget. There is also reception rating, a studio is less likely to make a sequel even if the profitability of the previous film made it a moderate success but people walked out of the film not liking it. Obviously these aren't solid rules, just rough guidelines taught in production classes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So Kung Fu Panda 3 comes out at the end of the month. I bet Star Wars will still gross more that weekend than Kung Fu Panda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Chairman Capone posted:

On the subject of movies that just completely vanished, is there any news at all about when The Moon and the Sun will be released, or why it was dropped so suddenly in the first place?

Hadn't even heard of this movie till now, really want this question answered. (I am bad at the Google.)

• Locked thread