Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

There's a new Ben-Hur?

Yeah, it has Morgan Freeman as the Sheik and Jack Huston (Richard Harrow in Boardwalk Empire) as the titular character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

So this Finnish heavy metal dinosaur themed band called Hevisaurus had a movie come out in November: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2eXICPPBdQ

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hollismason posted:

There's a new Ben-Hur?

Directed by Timur Bekmambetov

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

On a PG-13 zombie movie? I'm not buying it.
Professional critics reviews are embargoed, but Letterboxd has some pretty positive audience views:

https://letterboxd.com/film/pride-and-prejudice-and-zombies/reviews/by/added/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

So this Finnish heavy metal dinosaur themed band called Hevisaurus had a movie come out in November:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2eXICPPBdQ

I look at that thumbnail and keep hearing "yee".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

Directed by Timur Bekmambetov
The Night Watch guy?

Who saw his work and gave him the funding to do a new Ben-Hur?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Night Watch guy?

Who saw his work and gave him the funding to do a new Ben-Hur?

...he's made a grand total of one not-great movie and it's not even his most recent one (Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a lot of fun).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...he's made a grand total of one not-great movie and it's not even his most recent one (Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a lot of fun).
Wasn't ALVH a complete box office failure though?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It made about double its budget, so even with whatever screwy numbers you want to factor in there isn't absolutely terrible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

computer parts posted:

It made about double its budget, so even with whatever screwy numbers you want to factor in there isn't absolutely terrible.
Oh, I looked it up on BoxOfficeMojo to confirm and it made 37 mil domestically on a 69 mil budget, but 78 mil internationally.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
If you took all the worst aspects of Neveldine/Taylor, Michael Bay, and Joseph Khan, and none of the good parts, you'd get Bekmambetov.
The notion that someone said 'Ya, this is the guy who should remake Ben Hur' is incredibly depressing.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Saw The Revenant today and thought it was pretty great, though definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea. This is a movie that deserves large-format viewing, which you're probably not going to get because of Star Wars: The IMAX Awakens. The plot and backstory are extremely standard and involve one of those Gladiator-style dead floaty fridge wives, there's no character development to speak of, and no humor or anything to break up the 2.5+ hour runtime. It's all in the visuals and if you don't like oldtime snowy hellscapes you may be out of luck. Domnhall Gleeson, who was in Ex Machina and Star Wars, was also in this movie. :buddy: Another thing to determine how eligible you are to watch this film is how long you think you can stand listening to Leo gasping and squealing in pain. How does 45+ minutes sound? Tom Hardy grunts. There's really good animal cgi.

Some old guy next to me got up and left about 45 minutes in. The cheapskate idiot parents with the two five-year-olds in front of me never found any reason to remove them from the screening, even when one of them started crying in the aftermath of the rape scene. :thumbsup:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 11, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I don't give a poo poo about the box office, but the carriage scene from ABLVH makes me super hype for his version of the chariot race.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bullet3 posted:

If you took all the worst aspects of Neveldine/Taylor, Michael Bay, and Joseph Khan, and none of the good parts, you'd get Bekmambetov.
The notion that someone said 'Ya, this is the guy who should remake Ben Hur' is incredibly depressing.

Well, the problem with N/T is that their sense of humor is legitimately really loving offensive sometimes, and that's a very large chunk of Bay's problem too. Bekmambetov's movies are pretty light on horrible misogyny and racism, from what I've seen. Joseph Kahn is actually a pretty comparable director.

e: and yeah, AL:VH underperformed, but so did Dredd. Doesn't mean they aren't both sick as hell.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

tanglewood1420 posted:

I watched the second half of the 1959 Ben-Hur over the holidays as it came up on a classic movie channel. I hadn't seen it in ages and had forgotten that even though it is horribly sanctimonious and dreadfully, painfully slow, Charlton Heston was a bonafide movie star and of course the chariot race sequence is really well done.

Then Jailhouse Rock came on afterwards and that is a BAD movie. Only lasted the first 20 minutes, didn't even make it to the titular performance.

The '59 movie pretty much exactly copied the 20's chariot race, because it was already perfect. Watch the silent version!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

effectual posted:

The '59 movie pretty much exactly copied the 20's chariot race, because it was already perfect. Watch the silent version!

The 1925 version also has one of the coolest effects tricks ever to create the scope of the circus. Basically the entire 3/4 of the arena is a miniature with little figurines in it rigged up so that someone to the side can make them rise and sit, and that whole thing is close to the camera while the actual chariots and lower three rows or so of the arena are quite a distance away. It lines up really well and the same technique has been employed in plenty of relatively recent stuff like Terminator 2 (much of the fire during the Cyberdine police shootout is on a smaller plate directly in front of the camera) and Lord of the Rings. Basically when you see the horses line up, anything you see above the lip of the wall above their heads in the whole scene is a perspective miniature trick, so awesome.

Here we go, there was an actual making of clip on Youtube but I can'd find it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoma6r6fUo

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 11, 2016

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

turtlecrunch posted:

Saw The Revenant today and thought it was pretty great, though definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea. This is a movie that deserves large-format viewing, which you're probably not going to get because of Star Wars: The IMAX Awakens. The plot and backstory are extremely standard and involve one of those Gladiator-style dead floaty fridge wives, there's no character development to speak of, and no humor or anything to break up the 2.5+ hour runtime. It's all in the visuals and if you don't like oldtime snowy hellscapes you may be out of luck. Domnhall Gleeson, who was in Ex Machina and Star Wars, was also in this movie. :buddy: Another thing to determine how eligible you are to watch this film is how long you think you can stand listening to Leo gasping and squealing in pain. How does 45+ minutes sound? Tom Hardy grunts. There's really good animal cgi.

Some old guy next to me got up and left about 45 minutes in. The cheapskate idiot parents with the two five-year-olds in front of me never found any reason to remove them from the screening, even when one of them started crying in the aftermath of the rape scene. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I enjoyed it as well, but I like movies about survival and I liked Gleeson Jr. (Didn't know he was in it, was pleasantly surprised). That said, it is a very Marmite movie (a.k.a love it or hate it).

Also: of course some idiots brought kids to an R16 movie. This sort of thing makes me happy that I live in a country which enforces the movie ratings.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

effectual posted:

Which one of those is the one where people died? Or is that just an urban legend?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

Which one of those is the one where people died? Or is that just an urban legend?

20's.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Well, bad news to anyone that ever wanted a Labyrinth remake.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

computer parts posted:

Who on Earth was calling for a Labyrinth remake? There's no way to go but down for that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

piratepilates posted:

Who on Earth was calling for a Labyrinth remake? There's no way to go but down for that.

I thought they should have made one like 5 years ago with Bieber in the Connely part and Lady Gaga in the Bowie one. Now Bieber is too old for it to work.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't think they should remake the labyrinth and fuuuuuuuuuck anyone rear end in a top hat in Hollywood capable of such a thing who even thinks of trying

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

piratepilates posted:

HE CHOSE DOOOOOOWWNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

computer parts posted:

Isn't it good news or no news? I'm not familiar with a law that says remakes have to use the original cast. In fact, it seems they often use new actors. Can you elaborate?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Isn't it good news or no news? I'm not familiar with a law that says remakes have to use the original cast. In fact, it seems they often use new actors. Can you elaborate?

R.I.P. David Bowie.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

It would have been a Labyrinth sequel instead of a remake. You could probably still do it with the afore-mentioned Lady Gaga in his place, with the focus on Connelly's now-grown brother maybe becoming the new Goblin King or not (brother played by Zac Efron), and maybe cast an actress as Jennifer Connelly's daughter or something, though Connelly looks young enough they could be fluid with the time between the films if they wanted to. Whatever gets me more Sir Didymus is fine with me, plot is unimportant!

The closest we got to a sequel was MirrorMask. There is a manga sequel that I haven't read because it is manga and I haven't bothered to track it down, and also an episode of Muppet Babies is sort of a sequel in that it uses the same plot and clips from the show. I thought there was a comic book sequel but I don't think that ever got published. Muppet Babies also has an episode with Stan Lee, which means you can argue it is part of the Marvel Universe, especially since now Disney owns the Muppets. So Kermit better help defeat Thanos in 2019.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tars Tarkas posted:

There is a manga sequel that I haven't read because it is manga and I haven't bothered to track it down

Do not do this, because holy poo poo it was bad. The short version is that Jareth's going to die soon and so he a) Voldemorted his power into some other beings a while back to b) reclaim those somehow-not-dying splinters to get revenge on Sarah who c) doesn't remember any of the movie at all while d) he uses a now-teenaged Toby to be his pawn and not lose his crown the whole time.

Spoilers: he fails and the art is atrocious.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

ZakAce posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed it as well, but I like movies about survival and I liked Gleeson Jr. (Didn't know he was in it, was pleasantly surprised). That said, it is a very Marmite movie (a.k.a love it or hate it).

Also: of course some idiots brought kids to an R16 movie. This sort of thing makes me happy that I live in a country which enforces the movie ratings.

I didn't know this when I saw it, but Revenant was the actual nickname they gave to the guy irl.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Around ten years or so back, wasn't there an actual Labyrinth sequel that was in pre-production, but got cancelled? I remember hearing that Genndy Tartakovsky was involved. Or maybe I'm thinking of a Dark Crystal sequel instead.

In any case, I was hoping Bowie would be in Zoolander 2.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

So, Ridley Scott may be directing/Producing a movie version of The Prisoner. I think Christopher Nolan wanted to direct one years ago, which actually would have been a good fit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

It would have been a Labyrinth sequel instead of a remake.

All remakes should be required to star their original cast in the same roles.

Chairman Capone posted:

Around ten years or so back, wasn't there an actual Labyrinth sequel that was in pre-production, but got cancelled? I remember hearing that Genndy Tartakovsky was involved. Or maybe I'm thinking of a Dark Crystal sequel instead.

Dark Crystal. It was supposed to be from the Samurai Jack/Clone Wars 2D/Dexter's Lab guy. But now he's giving us multiple Hotel Transylvania movies instead.

I remember reading that they'd done effects tests of puppets in CGI environments, so they must have gotten close to production. Would love to see those someday, I'm guessing they're awful.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Chairman Capone posted:

The Labyrinth sequel turned into MirrorMask, which was a sequel in tone only. The Dark Crystal sequel got stuck in production hell as well and last I heard the director baled and was badmouthing the producers. I think that one got a comic book sequel at some point recently, too.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Dark Crystal. It was supposed to be from the Samurai Jack/Clone Wars 2D/Dexter's Lab guy. But now he's giving us multiple Hotel Transylvania movies instead.

Christ, that's depressing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's headed back to TV as he's doing a Samurai Jack sequel series.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this? posted:

He's headed back to TV as he's doing a Samurai Jack sequel series.

But who will be Aku?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Len posted:

But who will be Aku?

Rob Schneider obviously. Happy Madison Productions will be Tartakovsky's muse.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

So Kermit better help defeat Thanos in 2019.

If they take down Thanos by getting help from heroes throughout the multiverse and characters from everything that Disney owns appear to dog pile on him, I will be be there opening night.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

If they take down Thanos by getting help from heroes throughout the multiverse and characters from everything that Disney owns appear to dog pile on him, I will be be there opening night.

Patton Oswalt already pitched this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Codependent Poster posted:

Patton Oswalt already pitched this!

Sounds like the film version of Final Crisis.

• Locked thread