Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Creed is just getting released next week over here and I saw an advance screening of it last night. It is very good, which surprised me because it's a Rocky movie - but on the other hand DUH of course it's good it's written and directed by Ryan Coogler and has Michael B Jordan in it.

It's the very definition of a movie that was much better than it had to be, and I am glad for it. Also interesting that both Creed and Straight Outta Compton were huge hits and are both movies that are firmly rooted in the black american experience. Hopefully these successes are the vanguard of sea change in exploring more contemporary minority stories in a dramatic context (i.e. not just comedies).

But then I guess you could've said the same thing about Boyz N The Hood all the way back in 1991, so welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Creed is just getting released next week over here and I saw an advance screening of it last night. It is very good, which surprised me because it's a Rocky movie - but on the other hand DUH of course it's good it's written and directed by Ryan Coogler and has Michael B Jordan in it.

It's the very definition of a movie that was much better than it had to be, and I am glad for it. Also interesting that both Creed and Straight Outta Compton were huge hits and are both movies that are firmly rooted in the black american experience. Hopefully these successes are the vanguard of sea change in exploring more contemporary minority stories in a dramatic context (i.e. not just comedies).

But then I guess you could've said the same thing about Boyz N The Hood all the way back in 1991, so welp.

There were American theaters that refused to show Straight Outta Compton because they were afraid it would make the blacks too uppity cause gang violence uhhhh, you know.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Which Rocky movies have you seen?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

There were American theaters that refused to show Straight Outta Compton because they were afraid it would make the blacks too uppity cause gang violence uhhhh, you know.

Really? I heard stories about theaters upping security, but none going as far as refusing to screen it.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

Pretty sure this never happened.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Ice Cube, been seeing a lot of commercials for Ride Along 2 and man, he comes off as just an awful person in it. His entire part seems to be just him scowling and insulting Kevin Hart in some way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of Ice Cube, been seeing a lot of commercials for Ride Along 2 and man, he comes off as just an awful person in it. His entire part seems to be just him scowling and insulting Kevin Hart in some way.

I believe the gimmick in the first movie is that he's Kevin Hart's overprotective brother-in-law, but I don't know how they continue it here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

computer parts posted:

I believe the gimmick in the first movie is that he's Kevin Hart's overprotective brother-in-law, but I don't know how they continue it here.

I am pretty sure the dynamic is he hates him. So the first probably ends with him gaining some respect. So it could go easy.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Lol no, it just wasn't shown in Compton because there aren't actually any movie theaters in Compton.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 9, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Someone on a podcast I listen to went to see The Butler but the title was partially cut off at the box office, advertising Lee Daniels The But

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Are most of it about Hart being tiny?

I laughrd watching this, though. It's Conan, Cube and Hart going on a ride with a student driver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Za8BtLgKv8

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

zandert33 posted:

Pretty sure this never happened.

They didn't show it in St. Petersburg despite its big activist community and 33% of the population being black. It's also been the site of race riots.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 9, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kevin Hart is obnoxious. Ice Cube is supposed to be there to appeal to the people who don't find Hart funny.

My dad and brother rented Ride Along, I fell asleep and didn't feel like I missed much

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The best thing about Ride Along was....................................uhhhhh............................................

Well Ice Cube was pretty fantastic in 21/22 Jump Street, at least.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

computer parts posted:

Crossposting from the Netflix thread:

So I was bored today and I saw Lee Daniels' The Butler was on Netflix so I decided to watch it.

Good review, but did you mean to post this in "Rate the latest movie you've seen"?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Luigi Thirty posted:

They didn't show it in St. Petersburg despite its big activist community and 33% of the population being black. It's also been the site of race riots.
Here in Sweden the biggest movie theater company (SF, who owns and operates the vast majority of theaters) hired security guards to handle the tickets. The main reasons being 1) that the film might attract "certain people" who weren't used to going to the movies (lol) and 2) because the movie had a "hip-hop message" and was critical of the po-po. So much stupid.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 9, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-R9JY4le7k

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In ongoing boardgame movie adaptation news, Russia is making a sci-fi action movie out of Mafia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvZrrdvSAWE

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Sleeveless posted:

In ongoing boardgame movie adaptation news, Russia is making a sci-fi action movie out of Mafia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvZrrdvSAWE

I have been playing Mafia the wrong way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mafia is loving terrible.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This is actually an interesting idea for a film. Except I'd cast the leads from the X-Files.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I can't decide what's going to be worse - Gods of Egypt or Pride and Prejudice with Zombies. I saw trailers for both today, and both look insufferable.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Leningrad has changed a lot since the name change.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'll admit I'm wrong, but to my defensive we are talking about Florida here. All bets are off when it comes to Florida.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zandert33 posted:

I'll admit I'm wrong, but to my defensive we are talking about Florida here. All bets are off when it comes to Florida.

Saint Pete is white as gently caress fyi. It's half Tampa suburb, half retirement community.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm going to assume the new Ben-Hur isn't doing so hot since it was moved from February to August and there's zero publicity out for it yet.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

anatomi posted:

Here in Sweden the biggest movie theater company (SF, who owns and operates the vast majority of theaters) hired security guards to handle the tickets. The main reasons being 1) that the film might attract "certain people" who weren't used to going to the movies (lol) and 2) because the movie had a "hip-hop message" and was critical of the po-po. So much stupid.

All that for the 5 black people that live in Sweden?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Unless August has become the new February dumping ground, I would assume the changes in months might be due to a combination of the film needing a bit more time, and the studio suddenly gaining faith to release it in a busy time.

Unless it's last week of August, then ouch.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Young Freud posted:

A friend and I spent an hour long bus ride in High School convincing someone that there were a total of 6 black people in Texas and one of them lived on a distant mountain.
In my defense, multiple people had asked me if it was true that black people couldn't swim after I told them I couldn't swim. So, come on

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Young Freud posted:

:spergin: um actually about 103 thousand people of African descent live in Sweden.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

:spergin: um actually about 103 thousand people of African descent live in Sweden.

I was actually curious about the demographics of immigrants in Sweden, so I looked it up and there's a sizable community of Somalian and Eritrean immigrants, but I was more aware that they had more Middle Eastern immigrants (especially with all the talk of Syrian refugees, since Sweden is the top destination after Germany). What surprised me was the number of Eastern Europeans.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I can't decide what's going to be worse - Gods of Egypt or Pride and Prejudice with Zombies. I saw trailers for both today, and both look insufferable.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is supposed to be fairly decent. Not good, but decent. It's already had some advance screenings and audience reception was mildly positive.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm going to assume the new Ben-Hur isn't doing so hot since it was moved from February to August and there's zero publicity out for it yet.

That's a positive sign if anything, if they wanted to dump it they'd leave it in February.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Unless August has become the new February dumping ground, I would assume the changes in months might be due to a combination of the film needing a bit more time, and the studio suddenly gaining faith to release it in a busy time.

Unless it's last week of August, then ouch.

Early August gets the summer overflow. Late August is the beginning of the dump.

My suspicion on Ben Hur is that it's more of a sign that the film just isn't finished and they're going to do some reshoots.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Egbert Souse posted:

There's a new Ben-Hur?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hollismason posted:

There's a new Ben-Hur?

Ben-Hur, done that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Gotta love Charles Dance.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vegetable posted:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is supposed to be fairly decent. Not good, but decent. It's already had some advance screenings and audience reception was mildly positive.

On a PG-13 zombie movie? I'm not buying it.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I watched the second half of the 1959 Ben-Hur over the holidays as it came up on a classic movie channel. I hadn't seen it in ages and had forgotten that even though it is horribly sanctimonious and dreadfully, painfully slow, Charlton Heston was a bonafide movie star and of course the chariot race sequence is really well done.

Then Jailhouse Rock came on afterwards and that is a BAD movie. Only lasted the first 20 minutes, didn't even make it to the titular performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Ben-Hur, done that.

:golfclap:

• Locked thread