Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hiring Cameron also helped fill CanCon requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Can't wait for the Kingdom Hearts crew to take down Thanos.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Labyrinth has great creature/set design and fantastic work from the Henson workshop, and a David Bowie soundtrack, and it's fun. all around a dope movie.

modern backlash against Labyrinth smacks of people who loved it as a kid terrified to be seen as uncool.

Liking things that were popular in the 80s is extremely cool now though.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Nah Labyrinth has way more kitsch factor, I've seen a ton of people profess an ironic love for Labyrinth.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

no need for irony, it's a straight up good movie

My point is that there's no way anyone is afraid of being uncool for saying they like Labyrinth because it's cool to like Labyrinth since it's a quirky kids movie from the 80s with blown-out David Bowie hair, a bunch of weird looking puppets and a pop rock soundtrack. If people don't like Labyrinth it's way more likely they're giving an honest opinion after examining the film.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

but buzzfeed tells me it's the 90s now

It's actually...Both.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g01ud9TUtIk
They look like big, strong hands, don't they?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Casimir Radon posted:

I kind of miss these trailers for subpar family films before watching a movie. Not in any sort of practical way, we used to have those, now we don't.
There's an entire contingent of preteens on YouTube that edit modern Disney movies to have VHS-style openings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4oXbktbuiI
It's really weird.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Skwirl posted:

Preteens aren't the ones making these.

Either they're all children or they're very convincingly lying about being children.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

TetsuoTW posted:

On the Internet?

Of all the things on the internet, I somehow highly doubt that there exists a contingent of people pretending to be 10-14 year olds specifically so that they can sloppily edit together fake VHS openings primarily for Disney movies. There's way too many of them for it to be like a performance art or sex thing.

TetsuoTW posted:

Seriously. Like preteens even know what a VHS is.

Also a lot of these kids are from like Brazil or Spain or Russia or whatever where they have access to the internet but still have VHSes.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 13, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Skwirl posted:

10 -14 year olds don't know or care enough about VHS to mimic it's aesthetic.

Lol y'all are old.

e: also privileged as h*ck.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 13, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

raditts posted:

I don't understand, what the gently caress does any of that have to do with Wreck-It Ralph?

As far as I can tell it's a weird telephone/cargo cult thing where someone at some time recut the intro of a Disney movie to feature the typical six minutes of trailers and warnings and poo poo that old Disney VHSes had and it got popular, and because children are impressionable they decided to start doing the same thing in the hopes that they too would become popular. It's why all those "grounded" goanimate videos (the sincere ones) seem to almost follow a script.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

for some reason, despite the fact that everyone in this forum and particularly this thread is totally okay making GBS threads on bad movies, every year when the Razzies do it it's suddenly Not Okay.

It has to do with two words:

S-E-L-F I-M-P-O-R-T-A-N-C-E

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Razzies are like peak insincerity.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

TetsuoTW posted:

On the other hand, Cloverfield was a burning garbage fire, ARGs are for manchildren with more time than sense, and I have no loving idea what a Slusho is.

Got 'em!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
For a forum about the celebration (or mocking) of film some people are being real STEMlords about smugly demanding people objectively quantify the unquantifiable.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Y'all keep drawing from the exact same well for long enough and there won't be any snide, reductionist posts left!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
How do you know it's controversial? Give me examples and make sure your sources are fuckin' cited.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Or, alternatively, you could understand that many different people have different thresholds for what "culturally relevant" means, and instead of arguing about it and demanding hard facts you could instead chalk up the conversation as a case of differentiating experiences and go back to silently judging people who don't think like you.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'm really, really not.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Is there a single goon that knows what "most people" or "normal people" are? Because I hear it all the time as some sort of sweeping generalization and most of the time it just doesn't make any sense.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It already did.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm feel kind of happy for that one guy on the intenret who is sexually attracted to Norbort from The Angry Beavers, I want to see his face watching the first trailer for this movie in theaters/

Yeah...That ONE guy...

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

^Thanks^ for the spoilers, fucko.

Stand Alone Complex is a niche sci-fi anime made 14 years ago dude, anyone who's actually interested in it's already seen it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tars Tarkas posted:

So Laughing Man is Anonymous Banksy?

Not really Banksy, but Laughing Man was Anonymous before Anonymous was a thing. 4chan actually co-opted the Laughing Man logo for their own poo poo because of how similar the two concepts are.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's also because snake ladies are rad.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I miss when She-Hulk was Deadpool.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dr. Hurt posted:

Same, but Howard the Duck.

Howard sucks!!!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The thing about me saying "I wish it was still She-Hulk doing Deadpool's shtick" wasn't some sort of dumb "she did it first!" posturing, but more that it'd be interesting to see if she'd have nearly the same following Deadpool does if it was a woman doing the funnyman routine. Also having a legitimately funny and badass women in comics would be nice :kiddo:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Actually She-Hulk has pretty much always just been a really buff green lady. Hulk/She-Hulk operate on Warcraft sexual dimorphism.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
All I'm getting from this conversation is that Transformers is the most accurate live-action version of Neon Genesis Evangelion we'll ever have.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Nic Cage as Moon Knight would be pretty rad yeah.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Skwirl posted:

I was thinking more Tiny Toons and Animaniacs with stuff like Minerva Mink. Furry a relatively young sub-culture.

I mean in terms of total human culture sure but there were furries dating back to at least the 70s

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

If the movie took any cues from that video , I'm loving done

Why would it?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

17 1/2 million views and was the like top trending thing on websites around the time they started developing the movie

I'm sure the power rangers film executives care a lot about internet viral videos.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
MisterBibs' "thing" is complaining about rubber suits endlessly whenever the topic arises.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Alan Smithee posted:

why is this in Who Greenlighted? Is having Jesse Pinkman a bad choice for the other sperg novel series that isnt Game of Thrones?

I haven't read so I can't claim to be a purist

Who Greenlighted threads have been general movie pre-production info threads for like five years now dude.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I think its kinda cheating 2 use the planes quote as anything beyond, like, "look at this hilarious quote why would any1 say this" bcuz it kinda made sense in the larger complaint of "the female planes r treated as fetish objects while the guy planes r just planes" or whatever i dunno wasn't that kind of the wider point?
It's really funny that they both stood by the rly bad Gone Girl review while refusing to actually say who wrote it tho...like...hmmmm

This gimmick sucks.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
How about a new IP

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

computer parts posted:

And people don't go to these original movies, even the people who bitch about how there's no original movies anymore.

That's quite an amazing superpower you have there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
10 Cloverfield Lane and Mad Max are good, I am fine with sequels or remakes or reboots or whatever as long as it goes idea first, name second. I highly, highly doubt this is the case with Indiana Jones 5.

• Locked thread