Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

broken clock opsec posted:

Pennywise? Say it ain't so!
Different breed of creep. His character in Criminal Minds is an insomniac who abuses meth to stay awake and lives in a filthy RV. He travels around the US breaking into houses to terrorize families. The drug abuse, his insomnia and lovely lifestyle make him look like a pathetic wreck but he's still a dangerous monster, like a Richard Ramirez who never got caught for 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Isn't an insomniac precisely who wouldn't need drugs to stay awake?
He lives in a RV and kills people and isn't a multiplayer FPS character or tabletop RPG character, he clearly isn't the bastion of good choices.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Speaking of, that's the next wave in YA, at least in the movies: quasi-incest like banging your stepbrother.
Thanks for reminding me that The Mortal Instruments existed and that it's getting a TV show.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Yeah it's straight-up "racism/Kill The Poor" in the long run because the Founding Fathers Political Party are running a totalitarian fundamentalist government and it serves the purpose of getting rid of undesirables. However, as previously mentioned, most people do not Purge. The ones who do are the minority and are either disturbed or bad people (like the lady screaming Bible verses as she shoots people from a rooftop with a sniper rifle) or people perpetuating the sociological aspects of it (I'm rich and white so I'm gonna Purge because my neighbors are doing it too and I want to get in good with other people). Long story short, not everyone is a bad person but the bad people are making poo poo worse for everyone because they have the power and the money.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

God drat, Emily Blunt would be a very good Black Widow because then Sicario could be her origin story and what happened if she ended up playing ball enthusiastically.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Clone Emily Blunt a bunch of times and make an action movie where she plays the leader, the rear end-kicker, the wise-cracker, the quiet, intense one and the one who is tempted to go rogue and betray the others.

Blunt Force.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Even for a cut-rate kid's movie, it's asinine. "A real estate developer wants to make condos in the Arctic so a polar bear goes to NYC to protest it and ends up becoming the mascot for the company because people think he's a man in a suit" is just dumb, especially because it requires you to believe that people would build condos in the goddamn Arctic.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmRih_VtVAs

Suicide Squaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. :toot:

The "worst heroes ever" tagline bothers me quite a bit because they're never really heroic, never pretend to be and never redeem fully to being heroes but whatever.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Detective Dog Dick posted:

It will be Matches Malone, the charming vagabond with his heart on his sleeve and his ear to the streets.
Oh, so Batman. Batman will be the surprise badguy. Makes sense.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

Asylum has moved to making animated mockbusters along with live-action mockbusters. This makes them equivalent to that awful Brazilian studio, so they got that going for them now.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/the-asylum-animation-division-sharknado-1201684640/
That eel looks like someone stretched green lycra over the skull of a skeleton when they couldn't get them new skin. God that's an unsettling design choice.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I won't lie, I kinda liked Superhero Movie because it had an actual plot (even if it was just ripping off Spiderman).

ugggggh and now I remember being a dumb lovely teen going to watch some of those movies right when they came out that first weekend (Date Movie, Epic Movie)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

dog days are over posted:

I dunno if it's because the original voices for the characters are so ingrained in my mind, but every character that spoke in this trailer (besides maybe Bagheera) was so jarring. I like Idris Elba, but as Shere Khan? It's just so unlike the amazing voice of George Sanders. That reading of 'Man is forbidden!' is just.. ugh. Why not Charles Dance or Benedict Cumberbatch?

Christopher Walken as King Louie. Really.
I love Walken but I don't imagine his voice coming from the mouth of a Gigantopithecus Ape King. Murray also sounds like he's in paycheck mode as Baloo. The voices just don't really match the animals and how they are, how Louie is a gigantic ape and Baloo is a massive bear but their voices don't carry the weight of that character's power/presence (but I will disagree with you regarding Elba because I feel like they matched a good voice for that kind of character). On the fence regarding ScarJo as Kaa.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

It was heads and shoulders better than the first to boot. It was legitimately enjoyable and I like how the trailer for the next movie indicates that they no longer give a gently caress about subtlety anymore and are just gonna tell whatever stories they want, I sincerely enjoy that honest admission of "we want to put someone in a Lady Liberty slasher mask and have a priest lead a blood sacrifice." The poster for it is really good too:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Pretty sure I know where this plot is going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvglodUIcA

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ateQQc-AgEM

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

Emmerich's movies are terrible. Stargate I like, haven't seen Universal Soldier (Should I?). The Day After Tomorrow is so terrible it probably hurt the arguments for climate change's existance.
In highschool, our Earth Sciences class was taught by the teacher who also did drama and acting and ran the school plays. He was a wonderfully theatrical, flamboyant man who would put on old rock and prog rock EPs while we took tests. One of my fondest memories from his class was him showing us videos that related to climate change, geology, etc. and pausing for discussion about what was wrong with what they were showing. This ended up being like every five minutes for The Day After Tomorrow and he did a really good job of explaining the immediate dangers of climate change to a bunch of teens by being exasperated with Roland Emmerich.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Shadowrun is great because it takes this big backdrop of inequality and corporate espionage and asks the players "okay, how are you going to survive in this world and maybe try to fix the system a little? Are you going to put on a spy suit and act subtly and smoothly or are you going to pack yourself to the gills with technology or magic and shoot the enemy with a rocket launcher?" and I would love to see either type of movie.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

At our theatre, the projector needed to be reset. Since they started a few minutes late, they skipped the trailers. I've never been so relieved at a showing of a new movie.
You got to miss the trailer for Criminal, which is seriously "reverse Self/Less": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNfRQ4NBjUU

Also this movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDhoqY1grJY

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Oh my goodness that sound mixing.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I know that combination Pizza Huts and Taco Bells are real things (especially at like rest stops or in the middle of nowhere) but that's probably just in the movie as a reference to memes about the song.

Also I'm legit curious where they're going to go with the new Indy film but it's three years away so I'm not gonna worry or wonder too much.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The Fast and the Furious 8: Continental Drift.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I'm just glad they didn't chop the last book into two movies.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I thought there were more than three books? Or that the third book did in fact get split into 2 parts (just without the "part 1" "part 2" addenda)

e: here we go

also, in researching this I was surprised* to learn that Divergent is the debut novel of the author, Veronica Roth, who wrote it while attending college.

*is there a word for "shouldn't have been surprised but was surprised anyway"?
Oh son of a bitch. Ugh. They made it sound like this was the last one.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

weekly font posted:

Ayn Rand and Zack Snyder feels way too perfect and I think I hate it?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/zack-snyder-is-adapting-ayn-rands-the-fountainhead-for-1765559858
[INT. OFFICE]
Howard Roark does a sexy slow-motion dance as part of his creative process. His sexy dance is superimposed over a time-lapse video of a skyscraper being built to juxtapose the slow, tenderness of his dance and the fast, insatiable nature of industry.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

But can we still split it into three movies with the production values and actors getting worse and more cheap as time goes on?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

So Allegiant made about half of what the other movies made opening weekend, 29 million to 50. I'm really not surprised, apparently most of the fans of the series hated the last book.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Answer my weird Predator fan question: Does he only kill those who are armed?

Also, it's kind of amazing just how good the first Batman vs. Predator is.
No but apparently that's because the Predator in question is actually a messed up teenager.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

http://screencrush.com/suicide-squad-reshoots-fun/

Huh. Unfortunately I can't tell if this is, like, March 31st Fools.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I misread that article about Edge of Tomorrow and I thought they were adapting the interactive fiction game Shrapnel which would legitimately be rad and be a pretty good source to draw a sequel from.

You should check out Shrapnel, it's a good weird game about a time traveler repeatedly experiencing weird deaths and disjointed time because he, another traveler and everyone around were caught in the explosion of a time machine which either glitched out their universe or just created a zone of hosed-up time and causality they can't escape from.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD! *beep, beep, beep, beep, pause* S.C.O.O.B.!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Young Freud posted:

No idea what to do with Scooby. Maybe pull from that Venture Bros. joke and make Scooby Shaggy's Berkowitz-like familiar that he takes orders from.
Turn Scooby-Doo into a thing from beyond our dimension that only looks like a big dog to us because we can't comprehend otherwise. Also it's scared shitless of our dimension because it can't comprehend our world in turn so it's not an immediate threat, it just finds solace in these terrible fleshy creatures being nice to it and feeding it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The way they're posed reminds me of the scene in Drive where he's outside of the restaurant wearing the stunt mask and it zooms in on him standing there while nobody notices. They just look so detached from regular people with those poses, they don't even look like superheroes. Like Jenny said, they look like friggin' lurking aliens, these humanoid things standing at the end of an alley and it's like "well gently caress that I'm taking a different route".

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

God the coloring looks like rear end. It's every terrible use of orange/blue contrast magnified.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Edge of Tomorrow but with 47 redoing botched assassinations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Hello my old friend!

Maybe it's because I watched this with the sound off, but this doesn't look half-bad. It's got Kevin bacon and Rhada Mitchell and Native American ghosts, how bad can it be?
I feel like the haunted kid is supposed to be mentally disabled or something or maybe I'm just reading too much into his "I'm followed by ghosts!" behavior.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Nope, instead of his hidden wrist-blades he's got retractable wrist-dicks.

Assassin's Shame.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Well turns out I'm not wrong, the kid in The Darkness is autistic and the family isn't sure if it's really Anasazi ghosts or him doing weird stuff.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The family's teenage daughter sits in bed, listening to music. There's a soft, wet thump coming from the inside of the wall behind her, black footprints oozing through the wall. She lifts her head and takes out her earbuds and looks around but then a ghost yells "WHAAAAAAT" in her ear.

Speaking of Blumhouse films that have the kid who plays Bruce Wayne in them:

Paranormal Activity: The Psych Dimension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51BRLAoNUc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

"You're watching TON, The Oppression Network. Up next is "Performing for a Student Visa" followed by a special hour long installment of True Life: Louisiana Chain Gang. TON: take a load off and watch."

• Locked thread