Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Depressio111117 posted:

I can't stand James Franco but this one might just win me over.

The surprise Will Ferrel/Kristen Wiig Lifetime movie wasn't nearly as good as the actual idea of a surprise Will Ferrel/Kristen Wiig Lifetime movie, I'm not sure if I like Lifetime's new direction of trying to be campy and so-bad-it's-good on purpose.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tars Tarkas posted:

There are two competing Jungle Books, I got confused trying to keep track of them because I just don't care. I think one had a trailer when I saw Star Wars

Growing up the video store had like a zillion Jungle Book movies because apparently every southeast asian country with an animal trainer made one, it's weird to see that be a thing again.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I knew all faith in humanity was lost when I saw The Force Awakens in a sold out theater and most of the theater laughed and cheered at the hummed version of The Bare Necessities at the end of the Jungle Book trailer.

Also I just found an article titled "First Trailer for Disney’s Jungle Book Will Give You Chills".

No it loving doesn't, it just makes me angry. The original animated Jungle Book was great. I'm sure it still is. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. But I'm 100% sure it doesn't need a live action remake rife with trash CGI. A new generation doesn't need a goddamn remake of The Jungle Book. Parents just need to show their kids the original and be done with it. That's been working fine for decades.

Agreed, this new trend is very upsetting.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DrVenkman posted:

Both FANTASTIC FOUR and TOMORROWLAND did a lot better worldwide than what I thought they did.

Tomorrowland was seriously so disappointing because you could see all the seeds of a good movie in it and I liked its message and concept but it just never came together.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The original Jungle Book isn't even that great in terms of the classic Disney cartoons made while Walt was still alive, it's like one or two good musical numbers and a bunch of padding and dated pop culture references. The best part of it was the character of Baloo and even then they spent the next 30 years recycling his character and voice.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
When I saw Star Wars the Zootopia teaser trailer with the sloths played and the crowd went nuts for it so I think the people expecting it to be a flop don't need to worry.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcOTiTVuizU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm always happy to have more J.K. Simmons in my life but I still kind of wish Mads Mikkelsen was voicing the villain, if only out of morbid curiosity.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Inexplicable movies based on flash-in-the-pan freeware games, you say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MKLNyKGUUI

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Disney is making a new Lion King cartoon where all the unique and original lions have My Little Pony powers, they know exactly who they're appealing to.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nacho Libre already exists.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I wonder how many of those views came from ironic hatewatching, and if any of the people doing it stopped to think that Netflix's algorithm doesn't measure irony.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In ongoing boardgame movie adaptation news, Russia is making a sci-fi action movie out of Mafia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvZrrdvSAWE

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hollismason posted:

There's a new Ben-Hur?

Ben-Hur, done that.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

Can't wait for the Kingdom Hearts crew to take down Thanos.

It took them ten years to make one sequel, I look forward to taking my grandkids to see the Kingdom Hearts movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Do yourself a favor and never revisit Labyrinth, it does not hold up at all.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Labyrinth has great creature/set design and fantastic work from the Henson workshop, and a David Bowie soundtrack, and it's fun. all around a dope movie.

modern backlash against Labyrinth smacks of people who loved it as a kid terrified to be seen as uncool.

The pacing is terrible, the tone is all over the place, and the puppetry is almost George Lucas levels of self-indulgent technical innovation over actual storytelling. If you want to love it for camp or irony or nostalgia or whatever go right ahead but don't pretend like it's some flawless ziggurat that is impossible to criticize or dislike.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah i was actually just about to say, i'll bite: when you say "the tone is all over the place" about Labyrinth, what exactly do you mean?

Because for every scene of genuine peril or loss you have scenes that are a protracted fart joke or yet another bunch of muppets frolicking.

Mirrormask wasn't a great movie but it did a much better job being a weird goofy fantasy movie that managed to actually keep up a sense of conflict.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The third one is hilarious because it has Jack Black playing a high school bully and the main antagonist.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sirotan posted:

:stare:

I love The Neverending Story, and yet somehow this is the first time I've heard that they made another sequel. The second one is just so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiiyFFZjq0Y

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

Of all the things on the internet, I somehow highly doubt that there exists a contingent of people pretending to be 10-14 year olds specifically so that they can sloppily edit together fake VHS openings primarily for Disney movies. There's way too many of them for it to be like a performance art or sex thing.

Let me tell you about a thing called Vaporwave...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

wyoming posted:

Is this like the videos that cut together all the production company logos?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who randomly stumbled on these one day. People not just uploading production company logos but cutting them together in different orders to make their dream production company rollout for made-up TV shows and movies :psyduck:

Which leads to the Closing Logos Group Wiki and its sister site dedicated to made-up logos for imaginary companies, it's a really deep well.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So I'm not alone in thinking these movies are nothing but an ego trip for Johnny Depp right?

Writer/director Johnny Depp needs to keep his frickin' ego in check!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Maxwell Lord posted:

While the Hitchhiker's movie has issues as an adaptation and is dumbed down a bit, I honestly like it a lot. It has a nice charm of its own, surprisingly good visuals (I especially love the Magrathean reception area which is all dinky 70s-era models, in contrast to the breathtaking factory floor), and Trillian gets some good development.

Plus it had an actual ending, which is one thing it has on the source material.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Surlaw posted:

I haven't seen the original and don't care about whatever weird drama people complained about when it was released. I really liked this trailer.

The original movie was good and popular but the Internet has a weird grudge aainst it because they spent a year doing the modern equivalent of Ralphie playing with his decoder ring.

That and it's really easy to give it CinemaSins style "criticism" like the characters not being cold rational actors or the giant monster being unrealistic.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The MSJ posted:

The director of 10 Cloverfield Lane is Dan Trachtenberg, who directed this Portalfan film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4drucg1A6Xk

So that's why my Facebook friends that are really into cosplay are all over that trailer.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Morty's furry crush dancing in a pool of one percenter blood is enough to justify the Purge franchise all on its own.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Idris Elba has officially been cast as Roland Deschain in the Dark Tower movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jack Gladney posted:

Racist nerds are the gift that keep on giving.

Unless they change Odetta the racist nerds aren't going to be completely left out. :P

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who would adapt it?

Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FreudianSlippers posted:

Another approach could be making it a post-apocalyptic horror film with the racist militia as the monster.

Somebody really needs to make a zombie movie where the virus infects paranoid nutballs and makes them see everybody else as zombies.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hostile V posted:

Even for a cut-rate kid's movie, it's asinine. "A real estate developer wants to make condos in the Arctic so a polar bear goes to NYC to protest it and ends up becoming the mascot for the company because people think he's a man in a suit" is just dumb, especially because it requires you to believe that people would build condos in the goddamn Arctic.

That plot sounds familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq0a5JTSGvU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

raditts posted:

That does not belong in this thread, for who among us would not greenlight a new Pee-Wee Herman movie?

How easily we all forget Big Top Pee-Wee.

This one is being written and directed by people with experience in MTV/Adult Swim's gonzo stuff like Wonder Showzen and The Heart, She Holler so I have faith in it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Skwirl posted:

Oh poo poo, I was wondering what the hell the Wonder Showzen people have been up, that show was loving bonkers in the best way.

If you haven't been watching Adult Swim's non-Tim & Eric live action shows they're all very much in that vein and share a lot of talent with Wonder Showzen.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Young Freud posted:

Bad news: Terminator 2 got cancelled

Good news: It just was the sequel to Terminator: Genisys

http://deadline.com/2016/01/terminator-2-pulled-off-schedule-paramount-1201687034/

To bring this full circle, remember when Cameron was swearing that Genisys was totally great and a wonderful follow-up to his movies?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Casimir Radon posted:

Chronicle haf better flying effects than movies with budgets several times larger. Amazing what you can do when you aren't smelling your own farts 24x7.

More like amazing what you can do when the effects shots are obscured thanks to the found footage gimmick.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Wasn't expecting the sequel to John Wick to go in this direction IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiDbqWMe7OI

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I love The Spirit. I was cackling with glee when Samuel L. Jackson is dressed up like a samurai and slaughtering clone henchmen while ranting about the blood of Hercules and one of his sideburns starts to peel off. It's just such an amazing trainwreck!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I love how Daniel Radcliffe desperately tries to flee away from just being the actor who played Harry Potter by taking weird/gross roles, but now he is basically known as the actor who plays weird/gross roles to escape from his Harry Potter role. (I'm sure a lot of people also still just see him as Harry Potter)

I dunno, if you listen to literally any interview with him he's more like Elijah Wood in that being the lead of an obscenely successful film franchise means that they never need to work a day in their life and instead pick roles that appeal to them or seem interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

rakovsky maybe posted:

Your personal biases don't equal facts, unfortunately. Avatar was a frustrating movie for nerds so they have a vested interest in downplaying its cultural status. There's a mountain in China named after the film. Palestinian protestors dressed up like the characters. There were multiple parodies and skits referencing it on comedy shows. It was only one film so hasn't gained the presence of the bloated Star Wars, Terminator, and Alien franchises. I'd be willing to bet more young people know Avatar over the latter two series though.

But there is no expanded universe or limited edition toys or Teefury shirts mashing up Avatar with Dr Who or The Big Lebowski so nobody cares, obviously :rolleyes:

• Locked thread