Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Let us remember 2015 (RIP), the year that people predicted would be a box office implosion back in 2013, and then all those people were wrong. If anything, the only thing movie-related that imploded in 2015 was movie websites, as several big ones bit the dust (RIP The Dissolve) We head into 2016 off the back of a record-breaking year, as franchises returned and became the biggest movies of all time. Twice.

The Hall of Shame:

Entourage - The boys were back, but no one cared!
Production Budget: $27.5 million
Box Office: $32.4 million (domestic); $44.6 million (worldwide total)

Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 - Blart blarted across the silver screen again,
Production Budget: $30 million
Box Office: $71 million (domestic); $107 million (worldwide total)

Tomorrowland - Profitability is more than a day away
Production Budget: $190 million
Box Office: $93.4 million (domestic); $209 million (worldwide total)

Seventh Son - More fantasy dreck chasing that sweet Harry Potter pie. Seventh Son went pieless.
Production Budget: $95 million
Box Office: $17.2 million (domestic); $114.2 million (worldwide total)

Pan - Critics did. Audiences stayed away.
Production Budget: $150 million
Box Office: $34.9 million (domestic); $125.8 million (worldwide total)

Mortdecai - MUSTACHES!!!
Production Budget: $60 million
Box Office: $7.7 million (domestic); $47.3 million (worldwide total)

The Last Witch Hunter - Needed either more car chases, more aliens, or more X tattoos
Production Budget: $90 million
Box Office: $27.3 million (domestic); $108.2 million (worldwide total)

Jupiter Ascending - At least the Wachowskis have Netflix!
Production Budget: $176 million
Box Office: $47.4 million (domestic); $183.9 (worldwide total)

In the Heart of the Sea - No one wanted to watch jerks fight an innocent little whale
Production Budget: $100 million
Box Office: $13.5 million (domestic); $54.5 million (worldwide total)

Fantastic Four - Fantastic production problems, a million rumors and a billion fingers being pointed in all directions. And the movie was weird and boring.
Production Budget: $120 million
Box Office: $56.1 million (domestic); $168 million (worldwide total)

United Passions - FIFA turned out to be more evil than the Legion of Doom. Who knew? Everyone.
Production Budget: ~$29 million (numbers vary)
Box Office: $607 (domestic); ~$200,000 (worldwide total)

2016 promises more. More sequels, more prequels, more remakes, more sequels to films a generation old, more direct to video schlock, and more television movie originals that suffer the sin of boredom. One oddity is we're now in a new normal with January and February not being the complete dumping ground they used to be. There are barely any bloated, long-delayed disasters coming out this time! The goodness is spread out for the entire year, a never-ending bounty. We might not hit record box offices again this year, but we could have some record trash!

The 5th Wave - Teens vs Aliens as the latest YA Dystopian franchise gets dumped in January.

Dirty Grandpa - Someone turned the movie Bad Grandpa into a movie with Robert De Niro as Dirty Grandpa. And also delayed it a year so I can reuse the same joke!

Fifty Shades of Black - I'm not normally one to complain about the Wayans Brothers, but, uhhhhh.... Wow.

The Finest Hours - Captain Kirk 2.0 leads a thrilling Coast Guard rescue. But will audiences care? Or will this be a double feature with that whale movie in Bomb City?

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - This took forever to actually get made, years after the fad of public domain books with "humorous" mashups has thankfully left bookstores. But people love zombies.

Deadpool - Ryan Reynolds jumped on a turtle shell and got 99 movie lives, will he blow another one, or is this an actual comeback?

Gods of Egypt - A movie that has been on the apology tour since the first trailer due to questionable casting, never mind the fact it looks like an awful Playstation game.

London Has Fallen - One of the dueling White House movies earned a sequel. Like "Olympus" was the code name for the White House, "London" is the code name for London.

The Divergent Series: Allegiant - Hey, remember this franchise? Me neither

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - A sequel 20 years too late, no amount of windex jokes will get me into the theater for this one. Okay, maybe if they have their wedding at a windex factory.

God's Not Dead 2 - God needs to update his twitter so people stop thinking he's dead. Which fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd: will this be based on?

Amityville: The Awakening - A random sequel to a franchise that is older than many people in this forum that has been delayed a year already? But it does have Kurtwood Smith...

The Huntsman: Winter's War - The Snow White-less prequel that may turn out to be good based on the cast. I was one of the ones who like the original

The Angry Birds Movie - These birds need anger management class!

Alice Through the Looking Glass - The original made a billion dollars. The original made a billion dollars. The original made a billion dollars.

Warcraft - This will either be an amazing film or an amazing failure

Independence Day: Resurgence - Shockingly, this doesn't look as bad as the idea sounded for the past 20 years. But no Will Smith. =(

The Legend of Tarzan - The legend is Vampire Eric is now Tarzan. And Samuel L. Jackson, Christoph Waltz, Margot Robbie, Djimon Hounsou, and Jim Broadbent are also in the movie, which has me excited.

Pete's Dragon - Pete and his dragon are back to be remade a few years too late to hit the nostalgia train.

Ben-Hur - Jack Huston is Ben-Hur.

Bridget Jones's Baby - Someone has to step up to the plate while Sex and the City refuses to make a third film!

Deepwater Horizon - I was going to ask who wanted a movie about an oil leak, but then I saw Peter Berg is directing, and knew immediately that certain people would be interested.

Underworld: Next Generation - Call me when they get to Underworld: Deep Space Nine

Ouija 2 - When people go see a movie with no budget and it makes money, the even cheaper sequels will haunt the Earth

Untitled Lionsgate Horror Film - The title alone gives me chills!!!

Bad Santa 2 - Another cult film gets a sequel way too late for me to care

Chicken Soup for the Soul - The book series that was popular 15 years ago has returned in movie form!

Jumanji - Hey, it has a release date! Too bad it has no script/director/actors/effects yet. That's just salad dressing.

Assassin's Creed - Another film that will either be ridiculous or ridiculously boring. I could watch Michael Fassbender act as drying paint.

This year will also see the following DTV/cable flicks:

Samurai Cop 2 - A successful Kickstarter and the original is one of my favorite bad movies, but the sequel looks to leaning too far into trying to be terrible territory.

Lavalantula 2 - The best Police Academy sequel (besides The Closer/Major Crimes) returns with more crazy bug action and cops we all know and love

Bad Sister - Lifetime takes their standard crazy woman obsessed with some innocent dude movie and makes the crazy lady a nun.

Mother May I Sleep With Danger - the classic TV movie with the ridiculous title will be remade, with James Franco!

I'm actually not sure if there will be another Sharknado this year. SyFy is working away from the ridiculous films in favor of making actual quality content. Those bastards!

But all those films is not everything, and there will certainly be more terrible movies announced, more terrible movies to discover, and more movies that looked good that suddenly become terrible due to various factors. I deliberately left off a few controversial films that will get multiple pages of real estate as the films get closer to release, in between the various derails that is this thread's bread and butter. Feel free to add your own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

There are two competing Jungle Books, I got confused trying to keep track of them because I just don't care. I think one had a trailer when I saw Star Wars

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The MSJ posted:

Isn't there also a Ring vs Ju-On movie?

Yeah, in Japan. No word on if it will get a US release yet

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah i was gonna say, i don't recall Jungle Book being particularly memorable outside of the two big musical mumbers.

I'd bet more people remember Tailspin than Jungle Book

Cacator posted:

I've been seeing the commercials for this and it's funny because for a movie set in Japan about the Japanese suicide forest there doesn't seem to be any Japanese people in the movie.

There is also an upcoming Bruce Lee biopic called Birth of the Dragon that focuses on a white guy instead of Bruce Lee, but it doesn't have a release date or a trailer yet so I didn't list it. I've been regularly insulting the movie since 2014 and it will be awesome to be proved right when it comes out and is terrible and whitewashed.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A lot of that production budget stuff is also bunk because a lot of big budget films get enough tax breaks due to tricks and product placement deals they make money before they've even filmed. It's actually the middle to low budget films that cost more money to make for big studios. Smaller indie studios often make enough money off of presales overseas that their small budget pictures will have at least broken even before they begin filming, too. Besides all that, the entire accounting is purposefully a gigantic mess, and studios are constantly being sued, and constantly settling lawsuits so they don't have to open their books. Next time some hackers go after a studio's email, maybe they should take out their Quickbooks instead

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Skylanders have nice sculpts, I can see why they would attract adult collectors. The problem is they look like they don't have articulation, but I've not bothered to look at one outside of the package and I don't have any game systems to use them on (nor any desire to play the games)

Also LOL at this failed Kung Fu Panda lawsuit - http://www.cartoonbrew.com/law/cartoonist-faces-25-years-prison-failed-kung-fu-panda-lawsuit-128973.html

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Victoria Justice and Ryan McCartan are Janet and Brad in the upcoming Rocky Horror remake, which will be one of those tv musical specials, except on Fox. Laverne Cox will be Dr. Frank-N-Furter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/victoria-justice-disney-star-ryan-851968

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYD5japaxsg

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w7V0RErX4U

quote:

The journey of a professional wrestler who becomes a small town pastor and moonlights as a masked vigilante fighting injustice. While facing crises at home and at the church, the Pastor must evade the police and somehow reconcile his violent secret identity with his calling as a pastor.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

quote:

The Ridiculous Six racked up more views during its first 30 days of availability than any other movie in Netflix's history, a designation that includes both the service's burgeoning original films and its licensed properties. "The Ridiculous Six, by way of example, in the first 30 days on Netflix it's been the most-watched movie in the history of Netflix," said Sarandos. "It's also enjoyed a spot at #1 in every territory we operate in, and in many of them it's still #1."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/10724288/netflix-ces-2016-the-ridiculous-six-most-watched-movie

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

So this Finnish heavy metal dinosaur themed band called Hevisaurus had a movie come out in November: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2eXICPPBdQ

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

It would have been a Labyrinth sequel instead of a remake. You could probably still do it with the afore-mentioned Lady Gaga in his place, with the focus on Connelly's now-grown brother maybe becoming the new Goblin King or not (brother played by Zac Efron), and maybe cast an actress as Jennifer Connelly's daughter or something, though Connelly looks young enough they could be fluid with the time between the films if they wanted to. Whatever gets me more Sir Didymus is fine with me, plot is unimportant!

The closest we got to a sequel was MirrorMask. There is a manga sequel that I haven't read because it is manga and I haven't bothered to track it down, and also an episode of Muppet Babies is sort of a sequel in that it uses the same plot and clips from the show. I thought there was a comic book sequel but I don't think that ever got published. Muppet Babies also has an episode with Stan Lee, which means you can argue it is part of the Marvel Universe, especially since now Disney owns the Muppets. So Kermit better help defeat Thanos in 2019.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Chairman Capone posted:

Around ten years or so back, wasn't there an actual Labyrinth sequel that was in pre-production, but got cancelled? I remember hearing that Genndy Tartakovsky was involved. Or maybe I'm thinking of a Dark Crystal sequel instead.

The Labyrinth sequel turned into MirrorMask, which was a sequel in tone only. The Dark Crystal sequel got stuck in production hell as well and last I heard the director baled and was badmouthing the producers. I think that one got a comic book sequel at some point recently, too.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Sky Sharks is still happening. It is this movie:

quote:

Deep in the ice of the Antarctic, a team of geologists uncover an old Nazi laboratory still intact where dark experiments had occurred. In order to conquer the world, the Nazis created modified sharks who were able to fly and whose riders are genetically mutated, undead super-humans. A military task force called “Dead Flesh Four” – reanimated US soldiers who fell in Vietnam – is put together to prevent world downfall.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Saturday's Lifetime Original Movie is The Wrong Car, it is about a rapist Uber driver and a woman who becomes an Uber driver to track him down.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Ironically liking stuff is dumb, just like what you like. Not everything you like has to be Citizen Kane, and if people can't accept that, they can go get stuck in the mud.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The difference is many people in this thread (including me!) love many of the films that we rag on all the time, and are still willing to give most of these films a chance even though every sign points to danger. The Razzies just love their own publicity.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Is that even still coming out? It's been in development hell since the last one came out.

They just sent out a press release, I'm assuming the "reboot" declaration was devised so more blogs would copy/paste their statement along with a few sentences where the writer takes a brave stand against reboots, thus getting them badly needed publicity.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The MSJ posted:

I think Disney also dropped the Narnia franchise after the second movie. Dawn Treader was made by Fox.

Walden Media was also involved with the first three, but now Mark Gordon is the new production company (probably why they can get away with calling it a reboot). That is good because now you can watch the new films and not give money to Philip Anschutz.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Youtube channel Action Movie Kid will now be a movie:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bad-words-writer-andrew-dodge-855485

quote:

Andrew Dodge, who wrote 2013's Bad Words, has been hired to pen the screenplay for the feature-film adaptation.

The Action Movie Kid webseries started when Daniel Hashimoto, a seasoned visual-effects artist whose work includes How To Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda 3, noticed his 4-year-old son’s imaginative games and added special effects to the videos. The series shows his son pretending to be Iron Man, having a snowball fight with the stars of Frozen and wielding a lightsaber — all thanks to Hashimoto’s use of special visual effects.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Yeah, that's it. My Tank Girl essay is linked on the last page of the thread, I think one or two others linked to theirs as well, but that's all that happened in the end.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The monster on the other side of the door? Roseanne!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Gaunab posted:

That's weird. I would have thought Hollywood executives would have thought he looked too...Jewish for captain america.

One day we'll use Sliders tech to go to the world where he is Captain America and Emily Blunt is Black Widow.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Vegetable posted:

13 Hours has Jim and Roy but no Pam. That's why it blows.

It just proves what I have been saying for years, Pam wasn't worth all the attention and Karen was the one that got away. Now the guys who were fighting over Pam are instead fighting senseless violence overseas, and Karen is a cop that sees weird stuff (or whatever Angie Tribeca's plot it, it looks awesome regardless and I'm taping it to binge watch later this week!)

Hostile V posted:

Clone Emily Blunt a bunch of times and make an action movie where she plays the leader, the rear end-kicker, the wise-cracker, the quiet, intense one and the one who is tempted to go rogue and betray the others.

Blunt Force.

Would watch. Have the only other cast member be the girl from the clone tv show.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Did anyone see Norm of the North, which is Rob Schneider as a polar bear?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

But you were the one I was counting on to have gone seen it!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The film would have made more money if his daughter was playing his part

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Madea is back with Boo! A Madea Halloween

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/tyler-perry-madea-halloween-movie-1201682963/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The problem with the Suicide Squad trailer is it is so well done it will put most other trailers this year to shame.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The song selection is way better than the first trailer's, and the trailer cuts align perfectly with the song's change in tone while delivering a good example of the movie's various tones, characters, and money shots. And they even leave out Batman, which you think they would be pushing hard to try to get people in seats if they were worried about the audience, which means they are confident in their product, something you can't even say for Batman v Superman as that trailer had to show the entire film (including focusing too much on Wonder Woman AND giving away the secret villain) just to keep you interested. If you can't even see how this is a good trailer, you are letting the bitterness in your heart against anything comic book movie cloud your judgement.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Some of you have really over-estimated your intelligence if you hold the belief that everything from the stuff in the trailers to the statements of intent from the director and cast is bullshit and illusions but somehow you can filter out the real truth from it. Just admit you cherry-pick poo poo that falls in-line with your expectations and decide that is true, then discard the rest as "marketing".

Uhh...

The director of the movie said that the trailer didn't give away very much and that there's plenty of surprises left.

LOL, cherry picker.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

If you like intermissions, go see Indian films in theaters.

Here's the data we have on Batman v Superman's trailer spoiling the entire movie: none. Find me something, anything, that isn't a flight of fancy from some Youtuber.
Here's the data we have against Batman v Superman's trailer spoiling the entire movie: the director, the guy who knows the entire movie front to back, went on national television and said "oh there's lots of surprises still".

As pointed out above, this literally the same argument as Star Trek Into Darkness, and the Abrams trusters lost.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Doomsweek? Don't tell me it's Doomsmonth!?! That guy is pretty big, but not as big as Doomsyear!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

My actual guess on the bigger bad is a post-credits Thanos-esque character who will be the only obvious DC character to fill that role for the Justice League movies.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Asylum has moved to making animated mockbusters along with live-action mockbusters. This makes them equivalent to that awful Brazilian studio, so they got that going for them now.

quote:

The Asylum, the production company for the “Sharknado” franchise and Syfy’s “Z Nation,” is launching a new animation division with “Izzie’s Way Home,” starring Tori Spelling and Joey Fatone.

“Izzie’s Way Home” centers on a picked-on aquarium fish who escapes her yacht home, unaware of the dangers that await in the open ocean. With the help of other misfits, she learns how to brave the perils of the sea and how to be true to herself.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/the-asylum-animation-division-sharknado-1201684640/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

People sure are angry Avatar didn't sell out to Star Wars levels of ridiculous merchandise.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Masters gets a new director/script every year, I'm not going to put any stock to the reports until someone starts leaking set shots of blonde Jason Mamoa in a furry loincloth.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

What are you all even defining as "cultural footprint", and why is Avatar the only movie that demands a "cultural footprint"? Why isn't Gravity trashed for not having a "cultural footprint"? Please have an actual answer and not a link to the article that used the term that everyone copy/pasted and pretended was their own idea.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Did Fast and the Furious have no cultural footprint until movie 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

What is "catch on" or "embedded in the public consciousness"? Sounds like rewording of "cultural footprint" without a definition. Everyone knows what Avatar is, that sounds pretty embedded to me. Also weird how Cameron is the one blamed for pushing sequels and not the film companies that made a billion dollars.

• Locked thread