Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Grendels Dad posted:

Maybe it's because I watched this without sound and half-distracted by work, but this looks good. Was expecting Kevin Sorbo, though.

For a low budget movie populated by nobodies (and Roddy Piper) they at least had the common sense to have the bad guy be a trained pro wrestler, to make the in-ring stuff look decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Young Freud posted:

Even the terminology has changed. Do you know what a "dropship" was used before in science fiction before Aliens? It was the the flying wing that carried and picked up spice harvesters in "Dune". When you hear the word "space marine", you're likely going to be thinking of Corporal Hicks.

Those were imaginatively called Carryalls, not dropships.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Just to touch back on the great Nicolas Cage, I really liked him as a serious leading man in Bringing Out the Dead.
But that was also in 1999, so I don't know if he still has that in him.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Gaunab posted:

So does anyone have any news on bad movies (preferable not based on video games)?

There's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4vXH2T_AmU

It is direct to video/VOD though, so I guess that is a bit like cheating.

Also, I will probably watch it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Tars Tarkas posted:

The new animated Scooby-Doo movie coming out in 2018 is called S.C.O.O.B., and is movie 1 of the Hanna-Barbera Movie Universe. So enjoy yet another movie universe

Where do the Scooby-Doo/WWE crossover movies feature in this universe?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
So who is excited about a movie called Monster Trucks starring Rob Lowe, Danny Glover and Amy Ryan?

This has been in production since 2014 and the only thing IMDB has is "The plot outline is being kept under wraps for now."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3095734/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Wikipedia has a few more gems though.

"In December 2013 it was announced that the film's production was set to begin in early April 2014 in Vancouver, and it would wrap up filming in mid-July, the studio Vancouver Film Studios was booked for the production. Principal photography began on April 4, 2014, in Kamloops, British Columbia. Filming was spotted on May 13, 2014 in downtown Chilliwack, Canada."

"The release date was previously set for May 29, 2015, but on January 26, 2015, the film was pushed back to December 25, 2015, which was first assigned for Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation. On May 5, 2015, the film was pushed back again to March 18, 2016. On November 10, 2015, the film's release date was pushed back again to January 13, 2017"

It must be good.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Granted, this was a direct to video release but I still completely missed it.

It has a pretty surprising cast as well.

Lou Ferrigno, Rutger Hauer, Barry Bostwick, Michael Biehn, M.Emmet Walsh and Don "The Dragon" Wilson. Not to mention the MMA guys having a go at acting: Royce Gracie, Roy "Big Country" Nelson and Antonio Silva.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What happened to the Incal movie that Nicolas Winding Refn was doing with Ryan Gosling, by the way? Was that ever more than just a rumor?

There was an interview last year, around october or november where he said that "rights issues" made it impossible to make. So it would appear to be dead.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mierenneuker posted:

What the hell are Egypt nerds?

Stargate SG-1 fans.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Who is ready for some more mediocre action starring random wrestlers?

quote:

WWE Studios and Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions (SPWA) today announced that the two studios will partner on the upcoming action film, “The Marine 5: Battleground.” Directed by James Nunn (“Eliminators”), the film will feature WWE Superstars The Miz, Maryse, Heath Slater, Bo Dallas, Curtis Axel and Naomi. The film will begin production this Tuesday, May 31, in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

The Miz returns as Jake Carter, an ex-Marine who served in the Middle East and is now saving civilian lives stateside as an EMT. After responding to an emergency call in an abandoned parking lot, Carter finds himself protecting an injured man from a ruthless biker gang. With the odds stacked against him, Carter utilizes his unique Marine skills to stop the bikers’ rampage before any more innocent blood is shed.

https://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-studios-announces-marine-5

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Parachute posted:

I dunno, I kind of like WWE studios as a kind of showcase for "potential real movie stars" for better movies down the line.

Was Bautista ever in any WWE movies?

No, he starred in this though:

Which somehow isn't a WWE studio movie despite having Batista, RVD and Viscera/King Mabel/Big Daddy V

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I feel like Dean Ambrose could make a decent "action guy" actor, judging by his role in 12 Rounds 3.

I also hope that the story about him being mad at his co-stars in that movie for being unable to get their lines right the first time, is a true one.

There is not really anyone on the level of The Rock ready to jump to Hollywood though, he was kinda of a special thing.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 28, 2016

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Multiple Man would make a much better tv show. I mean, he already has a detective agency and everything.

And his mutant power is actually cool.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8wifucZA6Y

get hype

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Renny Harlin directed 12 Rounds and I will always like him for that. Even though he probably only did it because he really wanted to make another Die Hard movie.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
At a certain point, the Sorkinisms just become too much. Sports Night was fairly controlled, which is why its the best thing he did.

Also, some guy on the internet had way too much time on his hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78RzZr3IwI

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

well why not posted:

Watched The Trust last night, and it's actually really good. Wood / Cage have great chemistry and the natural dialog really suits. There's a few really unusual moments that would be cut out of other movies for brevity, but this really takes it's time showing weird character quirks.

Like when showing the taped-out map of the apartment, there's a broken line. Because a bee flew in his face when he was doing that part. It's just a tiny, weird joke that goes a long way for me. Nic Cage also says 'JK' to signify a joke. He's a total loser weirdo in this and I love it.

Aesthetically, the movie is gorgeous. Setting a film in Vegas is a sure fire route to an interesting look, but The Trust doesn't rely on huge sweeping panoramas of The Strip, but more focussed on the quieter parts of Vegas, like The Peppermill or the train. The neon bathes the characters, but it's not ever the main focus of the shots.

It was a surprisingly good movie, the ending was a bit flat though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Eh! Frank posted:

and I completely forgot that Don Cheadle was in those movies.

How could you forget his horrible accent?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You laugh but Hasbro are pretty much copying the the Ghost Corps model and are trying to develop pretty much all their licenced franchises into film series or TV series or whatever they can get and they would desperately love a shared universe. They hosed up with Battleship and Jem and the Holograms but they had huge success with Transformers and Ouija and moderate success with GI Joe. They've announced several more Transformers films, a third Ouija film and an animated My Little Pony feature but they have a whoooooooooole bunch more of their IPs in some stage of pre-production including Monopoly, Magic: The Gathering, Play-Doh, Candy Land, Tonka, etc etc.. They also had a HUGE legal battle against WB for the movie rights to the Dungeons and Dragons franchise but came to an out of court settlement and it looks like they'll be co-producing the upcoming big budget Forgotten Realms movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasbro_Studios#Feature-length_films

I don't really know that you can make a Magic: The Gathering movie, unless you're just doing a generic fantasy movie with a couple of the main characters from the lore. The actual MTG storylines are pretty drat bad because they're not written by actual real writers and are completely secondary to the game itself.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Random Stranger posted:

China (as in literally the country, not some vaguely defined group that exists there) severely restricts the number of western movies that are released there. There are ways to try to beat that system like use Chinese cofinancing and heavily pandering to what the government wants to see, but China will be pretty arbitrary in what they allow to be released there. What that means is that studios can't count on Chinese ticket sales. On top of that, the return on those tickets in China seems especially poor even for typical international releases, and people seem to be trying to make up for the small individual return with volume and that hasn't been really great (in part due to massive fraud). So what it comes down to is that China is not a make or break market for films.

On top of that China also has rules about depictions of ghosts and skeletons.
I know that Wizards of the Coast had to change card art on certain Magic:The Gathering cards released in China.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LesterGroans posted:

I'm not sure how Chris Tucker was able to pull off a character like Ruby Rhod, but he absolutely kills it. Ruby Rhod is one of my favourite characters in anything.

Now imagine if they had gotten Prince for the role as they originally wanted.

Brett Ratner told a story (on the About Last Night podcast) about how Tucker called him up from the set of Fifth Element to complain that he couldn't do the role and how it was "some Prince type poo poo" and yelling about how all his friends in the hood wouldn't be able to accept it.

I guess he got over it though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
A lot of the actors from Mortal Kombat refused to do the second movie because the script was too bad.

Just think about that for a moment.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Timby posted:

Pretty sure the only actors who did come back were Talisa Soto and Robin Chou. They couldn't afford Lambert, Linden Ashby didn't want to show up to get killed in the first five minutes, Bridgette Wilson wanted nothing to do with it, etc.

Keith Cooke (Reptile in the first movie) was Sub-Zero in the second one, but to be fair pretty much any martial arts guy could do that job.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I was actually sure they had remade Bloodsport but it turns out I was thinking of THE OTHER Jean-Claude Van Damme fighting movie: Kickboxer.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
On the other hand, two stuntmen directed John Wick. So maybe more we should let more stuntmen make movies.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

raditts posted:

This owns so hard.

But what will happen in the next two movies if the Furious meet their Fate in this one?

And what are the odds looking like on this series winding up as a Furyan origin story?

Obviously the next one is The Fate of the Fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Memes tell you to pretend to be upset at Max Landis.

Meanwhile, there is no meme telling you to pretend to be upset at Adi Shankar.

Therefore you are upset at Max Landis, and not Adi Shankar.

Why would I be upset at Adi Shankar? I mean, yeah he looks kinda silly but the man executive produced Dredd.

And produced this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

• Locked thread