Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

computer parts posted:

Well, bad news to anyone that ever wanted a Labyrinth remake.

Who on Earth was calling for a Labyrinth remake? There's no way to go but down for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Apparently played by a guy called Christopher Dingli.

Probably the highest honour a goon could have, being portrayed in a big time movie.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Hostile V posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmRih_VtVAs

Suicide Squaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. :toot:

The "worst heroes ever" tagline bothers me quite a bit because they're never really heroic, never pretend to be and never redeem fully to being heroes but whatever.

I see we get to play a fun game of "where in Toronto did they shoot this scene?"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I don't know about all this cultural mark but having never seen Avatar it seemed like the kind of movie that would spawn a legion of sequels in the same universe like Star Wars or Star Trek (although that had a weird fuckin set of sequels that were far far apart, let's pretend we're talking about current Star Trek) or DC movies, or the Marvel universe.

Instead there's the one big movie that made an island of cash the size of Texas in the Pacific Ocean, and a few rumoured sequels that haven't come out or been promoted, and is now being pushed back.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I'm still shocked at how the director of Tremors went on to make nothing but bad movies afterwards. Tremors is so good, how can he go from that to Pluto Nash and an Usher movie?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Tremors really shouldn't work. It's the most cliched, broad, one-liner-ridden script in the world. But goddamn does it work.

So... maybe it was an accident?

He didn't write it though, and aside from the style of the dialogue I don't think it's a bad screenplay (going only off of watching the movie). I feel like the acting and directing really make the movie great, so how did that directing talent disappear? Was there some kind of Secret History of Star Wars thing going on?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

He's a white man playing a black man who, at that point, looked like a white man.

...I'm legitimately not sure if this is blackface?

They should have pulled a whammy and cast an Asian actor, now that'd create some interesting reactions.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm keen to see the new Birth of a Nation, but I worry that that episode of the Boondocks has ruined those kinds of films for me.

The funniest part about whitewashing discussions, for me, is the cries of "Imagine if a non-white character got recast as white character." Like it's some kind of crazy hypothetical.

Coming this summer -- William Hung IS Abraham Lincoln!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

There was another sci-fi film Lucas was briefly attached to at one point too. There's a reason A New Hope has a character use the voice force to help avoid detection on a desert planet with two suns that's full of spice smugglers and its most traditional warriors are swordsmen when everyone else has laser guns.

WAIT WHAT

Oh poo poo that makes a lot of sense.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

River Phoenix is about the right age now and he did pretty well that one time. Wonder what he's up to now, maybe they can give him a call.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

There is actually a pretty fleshed out story for the dark souls games but it's not laid out directly for you and a lot of it comes in the form of item descriptions, and short lines said by characters, and even down to the placement of items. It's also all ethereal and kind of feels like you're in an old myth where nothing is purely real but it's the major story points and character stories that are the focus.

Now which one exactly was the puzzle castle??

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

That's like a third of the way through the game, by that point you don't even know the start of the actual story. That's before a lot of the good areas too, that's not even a long area to get through, god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

broken clock opsec posted:

This is some Final Fantasy "you just have to spend 100 hours in the tutorial" level stockholm syndrome poo poo, goddamn.

Yeahhh I guess so. I don't know, the story was something that didn't make sense to me the first time through, you keep playing because of the gameplay and atmosphere and after playing for enough time and thinking about things the story kind of catches up to you in your mind.

It's more like a film that you don't really get the first time but you give it another chance or two and it starts being more clear and you appreciate it differently.

• Locked thread