Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Len posted:

But who will be Aku?

Rob Schneider obviously. Happy Madison Productions will be Tartakovsky's muse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Casimir Radon posted:

What devastating scene is everyone talking about?

Atreyu, I'm guessing.

Edit: That's not the name of the horse. The horse scene.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Just make Emily Blunt Captain America.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

J.A.B.C. posted:

Then again, I still see Wayne rocking out in his little car when I hear the song, so I might not be worth saving.

Do people not think of this when they hear Bohemian Rhapsody?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Terminator is one of those series that could really benefit from a straight reboot at this point. It's getting a little difficult to keep track of everything.

Now I just want a crossover between Terminator and Primer.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Gonz posted:

Sin City 2 looked and felt like a studio gave Rodriguez half the budget, half the star power and half the time to make a sequel.

According to Wikipedia, it has a $65m budget compared to Sin City 1's $40m budget. Inflation can't account for that much, can it?

I'll say it again, but Eva Green deserves better scripts and movies to be in. Especially noir, like goddamn.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

His real name, as I said, is Jeffery McGinty Nichol. I'd change my name too.

Jeff Nichol is a pretty normal name, though. Hell, it's only one letter away from an actual good director.

raditts posted:

The first 3 movies were kinda poo poo, before the 4th one it was only remembered in the context of mockery.

I thought Fast Five was the movie that actually legitimized the franchise as a legit good action movie franchise? Coincidentally, that was also the first F&F movie with Dwayne Johnson in it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

This is less "Why was this greenlit" and more "why hasn't this been greenlit as a full movie," but here's a sword fight made by the team behind The Raid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdrwseAC9Jw

Really I just wanted an excuse to post it and didn't know where else would be a better thread, but Gareth Evans really needs to make more movies with these guys.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

why is the black ranger asian.

Welcome to Obama's America.

I'm guessing the Power Rangers movie will do better than Jem but worse than Scooby Doo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

It kinda makes sense for Jesus to have Vigilance.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Flatscan posted:

He's playing the big tree?

This made me realize computer generated Vin Diesel with one line had more charisma and character than anything Sam Worthington has done.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Finally, a Kickstarted movie worth seeing.

But Anomalisa was really great?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Should have just gotten Frank Welker to voice everything and everyone.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So at this rate we can expect Sandler to remake The Day The Clown Cried without having the decency (or shame) to bury that poo poo deep in a vault, right?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...whaaaa? :psyduck:

e: I'm curious as to how, exactly. Batman has a mostly-ironclad no-kill rule that I think both the fans and DC would revolt against Snyder for breaking, and Superman isn't exactly known to gib people when he fights them. Are they just gonna make the existing PG-13-level fight scenes more bloody, AVP Unrated style?

Gritty Aquaman is pretty hardcore.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

I don't like the idea of R rated comic book movies because it makes a Chew movie more likely.

Weren't they planning on doing a Chew TV series starring Steven Yeun (hey they didn't whitewash something!) and Felicia Day?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Gods of Egypt features a spaceship and a flat Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyLRAqMLaqI

Oh my god. Is this a prequel to Dark City!?

Edit: Or is Alex Proyas just doing his own version of Lord of Light, but with Egyptian mythology instead of Indian mythology?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 25, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

This is an interview with the host and a contestant of Legends:

http://jeffrubinjeffrubinshow.com/episode/5-legends-of-the-hidden-temple-w-kirk-fogg-anthony/

The host of the podcast has one of those high pitched nerd voices, if those annoy you, but it's a pretty solid interview.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Part of me just wonders why not just use an established property like Shadowrun if they're going to do this.

I'm not saying anybody gives a poo poo about this movie, but nobody but nerds gives a poo poo about Shadowrun. Shadowrun also probably won't allow them to code the orcs as black people for ~social commentary~.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The best thing about the idea of a modern day cyberpunk film is that you could basically set in in the modern day and nobody would bat an eye! :v:

Isn't this basically Person of Interest?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it though? The Walking Dead is a ratings juggernaught and he's one of the most popular characters but it's six seasons in and he hasn't really turned it into success outside the show.

RIP Silent Hills.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ariza posted:

Everything I've seen that he's made has been ridiculously wonderful to look at, including Immortals. I'm not sure if that's his direction or if he has a great DP that he always works with, but I'll still watch whatever weird boring story he puts out. Granted I've skipped that dumb looking Ryan Reynolds/Ben Kingsley movie because I don't think contemporary focused Tarsem is something I want to subject myself to, but The Cell, The Fall, Immortals, and Mirror Mirror were all interesting enough visually to make them worth watching. The stories were all garbage (except Vinnie D in The Cell of course) but there's always something interesting to look at if you wait a few minutes. I'm assuming my thoughts on his work aren't novel at all though.

I credit a lot of his aesthetics to the work of Eiko Ishioka. She was for sure pulling a lot of the weight on The Fall, which also took a lot of inspiration from Ron Fricke (watch Baraka and Samsara if you haven't), so it was like the fusion of these really great visual artists.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The Vampire Count of Monte Cristo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

On the bright side now I need a "creepy in retrospect" rewatch of Powder and to see this movie created by a sex offender about clowns terrorizing three young boys (wait or maybe not)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clownhouse
...A Circus Of The Mind.

I remember in an earlier thread that also tangented on Victor Salva, someone linked to Clownhouse, which you can apparently watch on Youtube. If you watch the first 5-10 minutes of it, uh, it's not particularly surprising that the director is a pedophile. Just unfortunate for those young men :smith:

Edit: That's a terrible snype, so here's a quote about the live action Tick from Netflix:

quote:

We’ve got this show about superheroes [where] we get to have fun with the idea of superheroes by starting with kind of a comedic parody of [an] event-oriented-like universe. It will be darker and more grounded. And it’s going to have a real story, a real hero’s myth. We’re the ones that get to have fun with it and that’s kind of the situation where right now that’s an open field in this area of entertainment.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I can't tell if there's a large collective whooshing in here.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Or maybe just make a Slayers movies and slap the D&D name on it.

Wasn't Record of the Lodoss War actually based on a D&D campaign?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is the dude on the right (the big one) Kim Kold?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

effectual posted:

When is True Lies 2 coming out?

gently caress that, when is True Lies coming to blu ray?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The green ranger will be a credit stinger at best.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

If they're going to make movies out of Broadway now (finally?), I'd be super happy if they did one for Hamilton because I know I will never be able to watch the Broadway show.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Angry Birds sounds like a quality movie: https://storify.com/adventuresofrob/angry-birds-the-movie

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Ride Along was awful and I fell asleep watching it.

The Conan sketch based on Ride Along (and its sequel!) was pretty good, though.

Edit:

Have some links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNM7Z7hir_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Za8BtLgKv8

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 20, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is Bioshock's Ken Levine still attached to be the screenwriter for Logan's Run?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Marketing New Brain posted:

I haven't even heard anyone quote the Holy Grail in a decade, but is there any modern equivalent to it?

I think nowadays it is more just memes. Looking forward to Ernest Cline work in and explain Chocolate Rain, rickrolling and the cake is a lie into his next book. I understand these things and thus feel like my wasted life was validated somehow.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Can we judge movies based on their theme songs? Because I didn't even know Fall Out Boy was still a thing let alone enough of a thing to do the theme song to one of the most anticipated (?) movies of the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AQ44nPrRTM

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I assumed "essentially Japanese cast" meant that all the villains would be Asian but the hero would be a white guy ronin.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Honestly, looking at that photo is like looking at those photos of the Saddam statue being toppled. There's a whole lot of duplicate people in that.

I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it (because I was distracted by the fact that literally everyone was white), but it's really obvious with the guy in the Green Lantern shirt. Like, it's not even an artifact of panorama stitching. The people in front of him are different both times he's in the panorama. :psyduck:

Tree Bucket posted:

About a page late to the talk show chat, but I have a question that's bugged me for years, and I need an answer that only an American can supply: why does the audience laugh after every line in your talk shows? Are the audiences unusually stupid and happy? Is it a laugh track added later? Is it culturally unacceptable for any phrase not to be met with applause? Help a Southern Hemispheran person out please.

Someone posted this in another thread, and I was actually kinda disturbed by how uproarious the laughter was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEItc7u_U1I

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

If it hasn't yet, it will. I sat through that terrible Shick "music video" once, and that was 5 minutes of cringeworthy actors imitating imojis

This played at a theater as one of those ads before the ads things. It really cemented my belief that I really didn't enjoy the theater experience vs. watching something at home.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

resurgam40 posted:

does Penn Jillette even do comedy/magic shows anymore, or does he just lecture people about the benefits of libertarianism? Free speech is all very well and good, but if somebody's job is to make people laugh, and the audience spends more time booing and complaining than laughing, I don't really see how that's society's fault. Just saying.

He does both, in that the magic show incorporates some of the libertarianism. There was a whole spiel about the Constitution, and I'm struggling to remember what the actual magic was because the libertarianism was that distracting.

Edit: I remember the "catching the bullet in the teeth" trick had a bit of 2nd Amendment stuff in front of it, but it was less distracting because it's a fun trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Who would be the token Male tho?

Dr. Jekyll. Ms. Hyde will not be a man, though.

• Locked thread