Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I had no idea they were still releasing Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, that there were more Divergent books to make movies out of, or that YA dystopia movies hadn't died off yet now that Hunger Games is over.

I also forgot basically all those 2015 releases. Bring on 2016!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We should also acknowledge the 2003 direct-to-video-except-that-really-short-cinematic-release sequel to the 1967 animated film which has cameo appearances by Timon and Pumbaa and a cover of the classic "I Wanna Be like You" by Smash Mouth if we're gonna ride the "Why do they need to gently caress with the classics?" train.
It ended with Mowgli facing off against Sher Khan over a pit of lava. :effort:

I'm vaguely surprised that Disney didn't churn out several more direct-to-DVD sequels.

Edit: I guess Disney somewhat put the brakes on mining their library in recent years.
Here's a behind-the-scenes teaser for a Dumbo sequel that never got made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpac3C3P76Q

Here's a mentalfloss.com article about Disney sequels that entered production but were then turned around (but some later got sequels anyway)

All those direct to video sequels were farmed out to an Australian studio that used North Korean labor if I remember right. It was when they were redoing their animation department and wanted to get something out. Anyone have the link to that old thread about bad Disney animation? The one that talked a lot about Oliver and Company?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Krampus is the new zombies.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The same reason the studio cared what came up when you typed ponies into GIS (they didn't but the artists did)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Roddy Piper's last movie :smith:

I saw him as a bad guy in this 1995 Die Hard knockoff No Contest (Die Hard at a beauty pageant with Shannon Tweed and Andrew Dice Clay) and he went full ham, it was the best.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

Creed is just getting released next week over here and I saw an advance screening of it last night. It is very good, which surprised me because it's a Rocky movie - but on the other hand DUH of course it's good it's written and directed by Ryan Coogler and has Michael B Jordan in it.

It's the very definition of a movie that was much better than it had to be, and I am glad for it. Also interesting that both Creed and Straight Outta Compton were huge hits and are both movies that are firmly rooted in the black american experience. Hopefully these successes are the vanguard of sea change in exploring more contemporary minority stories in a dramatic context (i.e. not just comedies).

But then I guess you could've said the same thing about Boyz N The Hood all the way back in 1991, so welp.

There were American theaters that refused to show Straight Outta Compton because they were afraid it would make the blacks too uppity cause gang violence uhhhh, you know.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

zandert33 posted:

Pretty sure this never happened.

They didn't show it in St. Petersburg despite its big activist community and 33% of the population being black. It's also been the site of race riots.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Angry Birds movie reviews are in and they say that it's perfectly a average kids movie.

Except this one review that says it's nativist propaganda.

quote:

The Angry Birds Movie is both the equivalent of a screaming five-year-old and a regressive piece of American propaganda. Out of all the films I’ve seen this year, this is the one I least expected to have an anti-immigration and an eye for an eye message underneath it. But it’s actually happened. Angry Birds is now a metaphor for the September 11 terrorist attacks. The film was developed by Sony Pictures based on the phenomenal mobile phone game series courtesy of Finnish company Rovio Entertainment.

Last year, 30 million copies of the game’s sequel, “Angry Birds 2”, were downloaded. Having been developed into books, multiple games, theme parks toys and other forms, it was inevitable that Hollywood, divorced from making films for adults, would turn the franchise of aiming birds at pigs into an animated film for children and their poor parents. They’re in for a rude shock. Aside from the pitiful, threadbare story and the ADD direction by first-time directors Clay Kaytis and Fergal Reilly, the film is also politically dubious and set on a message that isn’t appropriate for children or clear-minded adults.

A mediocre animated film is tolerable but subtly injecting reprehensible propaganda beneath all the deliberate noise marks a new low for Sony Pictures. The first warning sign is when Red discovers that pig leaders are secretly holding dozens of their friends at the bottom of their ship as though they are people smugglers and refugees. Likewise, these pigs decide that they will blow up the city with dynamite and then steal their unhatched eggs, the children of the birds. What better way to resolve this problem than by tracking down the pigs, the leader of which has an Arab-style beard, and then blowing up their city? This is capped off with a creepy, eye-opening song where some bird-children sing about Red saving their homes and liberty. Essentially, the film is a metaphor for America being a walled-off island of sunshine, the happiness of which is threatened by outsiders until they have the daylights bombed out of them and order is restored.

• Locked thread