Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

"Hmm. Discretion might assist us in this endeavour but who knows what lies within the restricted floor of this warehouse, so this makes planning difficult, and discretion might be a costly method if it becomes apparent that whatever the restricted floor conceals is dangerous or hostile or similar in nature. A more aggressive approach could work but would almost certainly involve conflict, something that might seem untoward to witnesses but moreover would be a risk to ourselves and our duties, not to mention given the unknown nature of what lies within might create some form of unexpected escalation. A more diplomatic approach could work, however then we might have to give some thought as to how to make such an approach, and if we might want to make ourselves seem less.... bold. What do you all think?" said Risuta as he considered the data provided by his fellow clansperson earlier, as well as the information that Kei and he had gathered recently regarding this warehouse, idly drawing paths of approach to the warehouse and considering strategic and tactical inferences regarding the local terrain and cover and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL

"I say we go and knock on the front door and demand to inspect the place, as is our right as magistrates," Kaihime declares. Anzu is still sticking close, particularly since Kaihime keeps buying her food, and also apparently because she's enjoying the adventure.

"Either they let us do it and we can look for clues, or they don't and we can arrest them for that."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at May 21, 2017 around 17:59

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!

Kei abandons absolutely all cutesiness for perhaps the first time to give the dullest stare possible, which almost hides how she's shaking a little.

"Or they kill us. That's also a thing that they could do. It's a very EASY thing they could do, if we don't actually know what we're walking into. They kill us and feed the bodies to the inu. Maybe they just shoot us as we make our demands. Maybe they kill us because they just open the door like we asked and we stare at a BUNCH of those alien doggos. Maybe we they don't bother with the aliens or the guns, and they smile and nod and welcome us in, and then the floor drops out from beneath us. Or they let us into the room, and the door locks behind us, and they begin pumping poison into the room. Those are just a few of the MANY options they have! But hey, no skin off my back, because if you think I am joining you to politely knock on the door of the dishonorable assassin's who sent a loving alien after us, then it's time you took a break from the sake."

She crosses her arms and gives the most serious nod she can. There is no confidence behind it whatsoever.

"No, I think we do this the smart way. Even Lion know to scout and use tactics, and they have the biggest army in the known galaxy! See those shipping containers? We can use those to get onto the roof of the warehouse. They won't be expecting that. Or...I guess YOU can go knock on the door, and the rest of us will head to the roof."

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at May 22, 2017 around 12:14

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Void Points: 3/4

Kozue points both index fingers at Kei. It's probably the closest time she's come to seriously endorsing Kei or... really backing her up on anything but menu choices at the teahouse. "I mean, they're pretty sneaky, remember that trap in the alien monster? We need to be sneaky too!" She rubs the back of her neck. "... is what I would be saying if I were promoting dishonorable behavior. Obviously, Kei wouldn't do anything like that! But I trust in her mysterious ability to gain information." She looks to Kei, winking in an extremely unnecessary sort of way.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

"As I was saying, I think discretion might be appropriate given these circumstances, but we should be prepared for resistance given how this might very well be the pens for these creatures. With that in mind a more... subtle yet unexpected entryway might be necessary, unless we can come up with a coherent disguise and moreover, an excuse that would allow us access as if we were a part of this deal or whatever it is that is occurring here." replied Risuta as he used his device to consider various entryways and any surveillance data that either says he might have been seen entering or exiting this place, and/or surveillance data that might imply movements of sentries and thus the more heavily guarded areas of this facility if possible.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL

Kaihime is caught off guard by Kei's rant, looking at her in surprise. That expression turns to something else by the time Kei finishes.

"You think so little of me, Kei? That I would walk blindly into the arms of our foes?" She slaps her hand down on the diagram of the warehouse. "We are Imperial magistrates. We have the right to demand the compliance of whoever is in that warehouse, and the duty to deal with whatever we find. And as for making us disappear, that would bring the ire of the Alliance and even the Empire itself down on their heads - unless no one knew we had gone there."

"It is our duty to bring these people to justice, and we have the authority to do so. So far they've acted from the shadows, with subterfuge. I want to force them out of their comfort zone, and make them deal with me where I am strong. Of course that doesn't mean going in blindly, without a backup plan. Of course it means using each of our abilities to ensure our success. I am not made for sneaking around - I'm more valuable keeping their attention on me, and forcing their hands. I would expect those with other skills to use them in concert with that, so we can strike them from many directions at once."

"If you feel your skills are better used in another way, I respect that. But I expect to be returned the same courtesy. And I expect that all of us will do our duty, regardless of the risk."

"I say our best option is to split our efforts - one team to scout and move in surreptitiously, another to take a more direct approach. If one runs into trouble, the other will be there to back them up. And while we figure out how to make that work, I am going to contact Toku-sama and advise her of our plans, and see if there are Alliance resources we can call in for backup. But she will expect us to lead the way, because that is what we are for. I do not intend to disappoint her."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

Stepping up between Kaihime and Kei, Kozue holds up her hands. "Okay, okay. We have a disagreement. And there's only one way samurai can really settle this, as warriors and servants of the Emperor..."

Dramatic pause.

"... jan-ken-pon!" She puts her hands on her hips, standing back with that proud grin of hers. "I'll abide by the wishes of whoever wins. Sound fair?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alright! It seems like everyone is in favour of calling for backup and splitting up, so here you go:

Bakami receives Kaihime's message and responds:

"I know a samurai in that area! Don't worry, she's great. She used to be a yoriki, so feel free to steal her from me if she does well."

. . .

A few minutes later, a sweet cycle rolls up and a Toku samurai gets off. She's almost a head taller than you and looks like she's already had a long day getting into cool fights, but she seems eager to help.

Toku Ohkawa, Yoriki

"Good evening!" Ohkawa bows. "I am Toku Ohkawa, one of Governor Bakami's assistants. I've been sent to aid your investigation. It would be an honour, if you'll have me."

Ohkawa straightens and clears her throat. "Bakami-sama said something about a warehouse?..."

. . .

Yes, This Warehouse [Kaihime]

You split up. With Ohkawa waiting nearby in case of trouble, Kaihime heads for the front door and knocks...

Cyber-Warriors

The door is answered by a pair of shady augmented fellows. "Can we help you?"

. . .

Warehouse Second Floor [Kei]

The shipping containers beside the warehouse are easy to scale, even for a small Tortoise.

The upper floor is home to rows of shelving and long-term storage crates. Most of them have been pushed close to the doors and windows, to make the place seem crowded from the outside while giving the occupants a nice big space to work with. Kei can make out a big central space, some side-doors, and the stairs to the first floor.

In the middle of the space is some kind of large object covered in a tarp. The shelves behind it are supporting an array of jury-rigged scanning equipment, none of which is in use at the moment. Also nearby are a rack of nets and stun batons, a couple of desks with computers, and two more augmented criminal types playing dice games at a table. Right now they're just drinking and waiting for their allies to come back...

. . .

Alright, what do you do? Besides Kaihime and Kei, where you are is up to you. Anything you do downstairs will be backed up by Ohkawa.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta employs some of the discretion that he utilised in his younger days, when he did his duty to his clan in more clandestine functions, and as such followed the tiny Tortoise, but he did not go unarmed or unarmoured, he had his sidearm upon him and moreover he had his 'Tatami'-class armour on him, although currently turned off (it could be turned on easily).

The Hare samurai looked to the Tortoise, and spoke in a low voice. "How do you want to proceed?" he hissed as his eyes scanned over the area, currently most interested in the cyborg guards playing games, and how attentive they are currently.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

"... it's how we settle things in the Carp. You don't do that?", Kozue explains lamely to Kaihime as they approach the door. "Thankfully, though, you've got me to watch your back!", she adds, patting her chest. She seems cheerful again, letting her disappointment roll off her back... eventually. With the answer at the door, though, she lets the Crow take the lead. It seems a bit rude not to let her, at this point.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL

"I'm glad to have you," Kaihime assures Kozue, entirely sincere. Before she can say anything else, the door opens up.

"I am Marumaru Kaihime, and this is Kohaku Kozue. We are Imperial magistrates investigating a matter of security relating to the Winter Court." Kaihime holds up a datapad with their credentials.

"As such, we will be inspecting this warehouse. Who's in charge here?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

Kei's eyes all but glint in the darkness and she gives a harsh, yet also very tiny, whisper.

"I! Wanna! Know! Whaaaaaaat's under that tarp! And I wanna find out by not being next to it at the time. I bet that's where they got their alien inu. Or where they're GETTING them. They're probably doing it through..."

She makes several vague hand gestures.

"...You know...bullshit. Anyways, we give them two seconds to see how they respond to Team Magistrate down below, who should be making their big I'm the mag-mag and you gotta etcetera. If they start to leave, we evaluate the threat and then come down and hit them from behind. By we, I mean non-Kei-chans. Kei-chans are too cute to jump through glass all rough like that. If they DON'T leave, well...I'd never suggest we'd do anything dishonorable ourselves, but if by strange fortune our guns discharged entirely on their own while fortunately and entirely coincidentally aimed at their heads while they weren't looking, why, we'd have nothing we COULD do other then pray to Mokoto, Fortune of Ronin, and give thanks for smiting improper ronin in a matter that is most assuredly not our fault, as we are honorable samurai and would never shoot someone from a dishonorable position of surprise."

Kei pulls out her gun and waves it around vaguely in the guards' direction.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Downstairs

The augmented fellows step back in alarm, then one of them looks at something over Kaihime's shoulder.

"Oh crap, it's the Ogre too!"

One of them makes a run for it. The other one backs off and stammers, "I-I just watch downstairs! The boss is upstairs!"

Somewhere behind you, Ohkawa stops watching the street and waves her rifle around. "Oi! I'm not a— Get back here!"

Up to you whether you care about the fleeing dude!

. . .

Upstairs

The two guys up here look up from their cards, then at each other.

"You think something's going on?" one says.

"Probably." The other sets his dice cup down and gets up. "I'll back 'em up. You get the emergency box in case it's the law."

That one picks up a shotgun and starts for the stairs. The first one heads for a locked box near the window, fumbling for the keys...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

Void Points: 3/4ro

"Halt, by the order of the!-", Kozue starts, but there's not enough time for her to finish. In a flash, she draws her pistol, firing at the ronin's cybernetic leg with an apologetic "what are you going to do?" look to the remaining ronin.

Attacking with her pistol with 1 raise to hit the leg, for a 26. Damage is 27 if it hits.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"I have a different idea; I'll lead and you.... operate by whatever parameters that you deem necessary and consequently I have not been consulted on but I otherwise assume to be perfectly honourable in nature." said Risuta as he gripped his pistol tighter and suddenly moved back, giving himself a running start he leapt through the window, activating his 'Tatami'-class armour while he was in mid-air, causing it to silently sheathe the Hare samurai in the glow of radiant energy.

Athletics/Strength: 6d10o10k3 24

Ath/Str 1 rerolls (Running Emphasis): 2d10 11 Because wasn't sure if the emphasis applied or not but it seemingly does

With the Emphasis rerolls that moves the total up to 27

assuming 27 is good enough...

Risuta smashed through the window and then rolled, pistol still drawn and now aimed directly at the guy fumbling with the keys.

"Stop in the name of the law!" shouted Risuta with his sidearm pointing right where it should be. With such a crazy diversion at least now no-one will notice the Tortoise, should she do anything useful....

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at Jun 13, 2017 around 06:23

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

Kei's does similar, in that she technically jumps into the room (using Risuta's hole) and then threatens Mr Shotgun (by shooting at him).

"Oh! Why, Mokoto-sama, thank you!"

Shootan; Damage: 4d10o10k3 18 6d10o10k3 31

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL

"Ogre?" Kaihime says to Ohkawa, raising an eyebrow as she draws her sword and moves into the building. The sounds of more shooting is definitely something they had to deal with.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Guess who's back with a working PC? It's me! Also, I checked with Mitama and we're going to say Misuko takes Anzu somewhere safe nearby, since she's not great at this part.

. . .

Nearby [Misuko]

While the others set up and investigate the warehouse, Anzu turns to Misuko. "I'm sorry to intrude, but could we go somewhere else? I'd love to help, but I'm starting to think these creatures are after me. Maybe I shouldn't follow them home. There's a magistrate station nearby..."

Misuko can take this opportunity to pester Anzu with questions/requests, if she likes. It's not too important where you take her, the magistrate station is there if you can't think of anything.

. . .

Downstairs

The ronin's cyber-knee explodes, and he goes down. The remaining ronin puts his hands up and launches into a pre-prepared speech for just such an occasion.

"Okay, okay! I just patrol downstairs. Nothing down here! You want to talk to Tsutanai upstairs, he'd know! I don't," he adds in case you feel like trying to prove he does.

. . .

If Kaihime looks at Ohkawa's face, she's turning a little red. "I trained under the local magistrates and they think I... it's a reputation thing. I didn't ask for it!"

"I'm not even that tall," she blurts out if Kaihime looks at her.

(it's because she's tall.)

. . .

Upstairs

Kei hits an important part of the shotgun guy's cybernetics, causing a malfunction that shocks and incapacitates him. The unconscious ronin tumbles down the stairs.

His ally puts his hands up and launches into a pre-prepared speech for just such an occasion.

"Okay, okay! I don't know anything! Tsutanai..." the ronin checks to make sure Kei did indeed just knock Tsutanai out. "He knows everything! I just followed orders. I definitely don't know about the tarp or the computer."

. . .

What You Find

You have the warehouse to yourselves now. Here's what you see:
  • Lower Floor: The lower floor is mostly sealed crates of Dojicorp imports, mothballed until they need to sell it. Most of it is legit. In fact, it's clearly set up to distract from upstairs. There's a manager's office with a computer, which your downstairs captive has the keys to. He might have been sleeping in it.
  • Upper Floor Crates: A lot of the crates up here are shipments of imported comet tobacco, brought up here to hide the shady stuff.
  • Tarp: On closer inspection, the tarp looks like it's covering some sort of cage bolted to the floor. It seems pretty silent. Markings on the floor suggest there's a door and the tarp gets taken off and put back a lot.
  • Scanning Equipment: The scanning array rigged up around the tarp looks like salvaged Phoenix tech, used to study strange magic phenomena on alien worlds. Cables run from them to the nearby computers.
  • Cyber Room: One of the side-rooms is a makeshift cybernetics clinic. There's a lot of blue bloodstains. The shelves mostly contain spirit boxes and hilariously cheap cybertech; this is where the Direspines were augmented.
  • Quarters: A cheap bunk for the ronin, some digital posters of gravure idols, and a personal laptop.
  • Weapons: Stun batons and nets designed to make short work of Direspines.
  • Emergency Box: The box your upstairs captive was heading for contains some kind of communicator, a stolen Seppun grenade, some smoke bombs, and an important-looking button in a glass box. Ronin are dumb, so there's a handwritten note attached that says the button fries all the tech in the warehouse and to be real careful with it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

Gesturing with the gun, Kozue finishes, "By the order of the Imperial Guard, I request you humbly comply with our needs in the the expedition of... um... ummm..." She shrinks into her shoulders, looking to Kaihime. "... anyway, we should bind them.", she says, pulling out her binding tape to make sure that these thugs are sorted out. While she's in the midst of that, she leans over to peer into the lab for a moment before walking back. "Who's lab is that?", she says casually to some of the bound ronin, with more of a tone of asking for directions than confessions.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Indulging in daytime naps is the highest pleasure mortals can attain!

"We'll head to the station, then." Misuko nods. She briefly considers the theater where Choumaru and the other Toki are preparing for the play. Might not be a good idea to attract trouble there.

"Can you imagine any reason why they would be after you? Anything would help. It's your life on the line, after all."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

After seeing that any and all ronin in attendance are apprehended and bound up and so on, Risuta turns to the others. "Should we investigate this by hand, or call in experts to deal with this? I guess the ultimate question is with this place seized, will the attacks stop? Or are there more places like this - and moreover do we have some kind of time limit that we are not aware of?" pondered Risuta, who will also listen keenly to whatever the Ronin that Kozue asked a question of says.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

Kei peeks under the sheet, gasping even before she sees anything, for dramatic purposes.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kozue is answered by the ronin who hasn't spoken yet (because he's too dumb to feign ignorance). "Uh... the owner guy. Samurai. He messages Tsutanai when he's coming. I dunno what he does in there, we just go through the hole when he needed another— what are you elbowing me for?"

(The other ronin pretends he didn't.)

. . .

Kei pulls down the tarp.

The inside is a cage. It's more of an enclosure really, with two locked doors you have to pass through to get all the way in. The keys are hanging on a hook nearby.

Inside the enclosure is... some kind of stone structure resting on a set of shipping pallets. Most of it is a square slab about ten feet wide or so, with a circular hole carved into the middle and the remains of a wall at the back. Judging by the unfamiliar symbols etched around it, you'd say this is a piece of an alien ruin. Some of the details look a little like the details on that Mizunin blade Anzu won...

The hole is about the size of a hot tub, and has a stone ladder built into it. Also, water.

The water is warm, inviting, and clear. You can see the well goes down about six feet before starting to curve away and out of sight. Whoever installed the cage added a gate down there, but you have the keys now.

Hmm.

. . .

Meanwhile, Here's Misuko

Anzu rubs her arm. "Well..."

She seems to relax around Misuko, though. "I think I said I trained at a monastery? The ronin where I'm from study the way of the sword, and try to preserve styles that would be lost otherwise. Techniques of ronin bands, forgotten Clans, historical schools, that sort of thing. I know enough of them to surprise people."

"I left to explore the galaxy, but I have a copy of the library. Just in case, you know? If I had to guess I'd say someone wants to capture and can torture it out of me."

She rests her chin on her hand and thinks on it. "Definitely not Kenji-san. He's honest for a Yasuki. You know he offered me Clan membership? The Crane too. I think some of the other Clans have been trying to talk to me too. That's worrying me more right now, actually. I think I'm bad at this Court stuff..."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL

Kaihime eyes the stone structure, then walks around it, and drops to a knee to look under the pallet. She frowns, then gets back up.

"That pool is deeper than it should be. I can see under the pallet, so..." She shrugs. "I guess that's where they're getting the alien creatures from."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"Hmm. This is certainly a possibility I hadn't really considered. But this does go somewhat over our jurisdiction I feel. Unless whoever is behind this is down there right now. But a site of 'alien' ruins is more likely to fall under the Exploration Corps, if not some other group based on this world." said Risuta after giving what lies under the tarp a brief examination. "Hmm...." murmured Risuta, his voice trailing off as he peered through the pallets to get a better look of what lies underneath there.

"Wait. This isn't right. Scratch that on 'native lifeforms' at least for the moment. I mean they might still be but there's probably a shugenja involved or something now. Hmm." he continued as he went over to the portal and had a longer look. "I can tell you this isn't the wrong kind of magic at least, presuming it is magic and not some weird... alien... technology. We may want my wife to take a look at this but we might not have the luxury of time. Hmm." finally finished Risuta, his voice dropping into a murmur as he scratched his head.

"I could use a drink." he announced, and went off to see if the ronin had any drinks on them.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

"Tsutanai?", Kozue says, looking at the ronin as she binds their hands. "Could I meet him? I'd be obliged to mention your cooperation in my report, of course...", she says airly as she stands up, and looks away, speaking as if she's making a personal note rather than an offer per se. She pauses, distracted by the light, and ohs softly, walking over as she pulls out the sword. She holds it over the ring of symbols, looking back and forth between the markings on the sword and those on the ground. "Hm.", she says as she glances over to Risuta, almost a little careless with how she's just waving it around.

"Sword, activate!", she then says dramatically, as if that were going to do anything.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

The ronin point Kozue to the ronin who was in charge upstairs. Kei shot his cyber implants and knocked him out, which makes blaming him for everything almost as easy as restraining him for further questioning.

He has a pocket scribe on him, presumably used to keep in touch with his boss; if Kozue picks it up she finds his screen background is a selfie of himself on an alien beach.

In the ronin's quarters, Risuta finds a crate stamped "Barrier Reef Sake" which is still half-full of bottles. Judging by the waterproof bags of swimming gear nearby with bottles tucked into the pockets, the ronin already had the other half. Assuming Risuta decides that if it didn't kill the ronin he's probably fine, he finds it's a freshly-pressed sake with some interestingly alien flavor notes.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta begins sampling the sake before wandering about to the gate. "You know I reckon that this ronin or at least someone on their behalf have made it to the other side of this. We should probably ask them what's over there, and if nec'ssary get them to guide us over there, because I don't know about the rest of you but I don't like the idea of this gate being stuck open here, who knows what might come across. Probably more of those beasts." said Risuta to those assembled, between sips of his newly-plundered sake. "Also this stuff isn't half-bad, probably works better with a meal."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Ah, that's good. That's very good, actually."

Alright, then. If Anzu's more worried about the court than her life, then Misuko might as well try to make both of those even more difficult for the ronin. She's good at sowing doubt.

"A ronin joining a Great Clan is no small thing. They definitely have the means to protect your secrets, it's true. And of course, they will oblige you to divulge every single one of them. For the good for the clan. And yes, you may be recognized for your deeds and perhaps be elevated. To a point. But you are only one samurai of a Great Clan. Without a family to support you, at that. A single star outshined by a greater cosmos."

She nods. "It's a good offer, I assure you. But best to consider entirely what it means to embrace Duty."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

Flipping through the pictures, Kozue looks from them, to the water, and then back again, and then holds up the picture of the thug on the beach. She points to the water, making excited or perhaps panicked syllables that would be words if she actually finished pronouncing them. "He- it- wat- worl-" She looks down to the water. She can't just get her kimono *wet*, but maybe... she could tie a string to her pocket scribe and-

- no, she can't get that wet either! Also, she wouldn't be able to see what it's recording unless it came back. Also, it has all of her episodes of Hoturi!

"P-p-portal!", she finally spits out.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alright! While you decide whether to investigate further or bring your superiors into this:

Misuko

Anzu's eyes widen briefly before she recovers. "...You're right. I'd have to tell my superiors where to find my teachers, and that would hurt their mission..."

Anzu leans back and sighs. "I have to say no, don't I? Oh, well. Regular meals were fun while they lasted, I suppose."

Then she has an original idea! "Hm. Actually, what about the Minor Clans? Do you know any who could use my blade?"

Misuko is free to pitch any Minor Clan she feels like, Ibis included! The others can also make a case if they want; otherwise Anzu will probably go with Misuko's suggestion.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL

Kaihime nods at Kozue, and stands up straight. "I think we should go through and see what they have on the far side."

She pauses and considers, then shrugs. "We should probably report in first though."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Coming back from his minor drinking session, Risuta turned to Kaihime and the others, idly holding a now empty bottle. "Agreed, if we're going into the unknown to possibly die horribly, we may as well leave our last contact as 'Going to do something dangerous', rather than just disappearing and never being heard from again."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Plenty, I'd say. And think about the benefits. It may be a smaller pond, but you would definitely become a big carp in no time." Misuko pauses. "I suppose you could be a big Carp, too. You'd have to ask Kohaku-san about that."

She considers. "Perhaps the others would like to make a case for their own clan, we could meet with them later. Of course, I wouldn't mind introducing you to the Ibis, as well. We do prize our duelists. We'll definitely have to do something about this." Misuko gestures at Anzu's robes. "You deserve to wear beautiful clothes."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

Kei suddenly looks up from where she was most certainly not provably contacting her clan (and only her clan) to tell them everything about all of this. No, she was obviously just staring at the floor. In...shock.

"What? Yes, we're investigating. I've already sent in a report - don't worry about it. Absolutely don't worry about sending a report in, I have already done so, no, they don't need repeats, you can obviously trust your Good Pal Kasuga Kei-nee-chan. Remember, the Kasuga job is...being our diplomat and envoy to the entirety of the Minor Clans! So definitely, definitely don't bother sending in a report."

Her fingers twitch slightly. Nobody else sees the message: [ Investigate y/n? With non-Tortoise; previous reports detail group. Understand need for security; would rather not force them into dishonorable positions or a need to be silenced, but Clan comes first ]

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at Oct 13, 2017 around 06:36

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

Poking her index fingers together, Kozue points out, "I didn't... bring a swimsuit or anything, do we really want to get our kimonos soaked? C-can we do that?" It may not be a relevant question, but it is an important one for samurai propriety. "Anyway, I don't think we're going to die horribly if these clowns made it through."

«6 »