Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Pouting a little, Kozue says, "I don't like people that treat duels lightly..." Strange words, coming from her recent leap into danger, but Kozue's as eccentric as any Carp. "... I wonder what she really wants.", she adds, looking at her scribe again. "We should see if we can get an audience with Tamagoo-sama! He should know about this before dinner.", she says with a raised finger.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Misuko looks surprised for a moment, then returns a flattered smile. "This is a lot earlier than I expected."

Just looking around, huh? In the same place that the fabulously famous Misuko is going to hold her concert? Not a chance. Still, she appreciates someone going for the early bird interview.

"If it won't take long. I'm still with Kaiu-san here, you see."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Kei's usual childlike mannerisms vanish as soon as she enters the room. Here, she's all business. She shows her clan mon, insuring all the ronin have a chance to see it.

"Kasuga Kei. I'm here investigating a former employer and co-worker of yours - Kato Hononori - and would like as much information about him that you can provide. Any assistance will be appreciated - and noted for the future."

The Tortoise always had good relations with wave men. Hell, they were often their biggest jobs supplier. As straight laced as he seemed, surely Hononori had slipped up somewhere, or made some kind of fantastic mistake, or had at least one skeleton in the closet - anything that could be used as dirt. You know. Just in case.

"Oh, and please, don't leave anything out."

Courtier: 8d10o10k3 32

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Kaihime nods at Kohaku. "Definitely. If he's not on board, this plan is shot." She adjusts her somewhat threadbare haori. "I don't think Kakita-san doesn't take duels seriously. Actually, perhaps it's the opposite even? But it's kind of a pathetic reason for a duel, Hononori not knowing how to behave, especially for someone who's already been in so many. I'm sure she'd be honored to face you under other circumstances, Kozue-san. But the origins of the duel might taint the memory of it."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"How can anybody have that many meaningful duels...", Kozue says. She looks away. "... but if it's under other circumstances, I might stand a chance, either. The next duel she has is going to be pretty important. It's going to be different." She looks to Kaihime as she walks, her expression more serious than usual. "It's about timing!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Kaihime nods thoughtfully. "Well, you can always ask her for a duel afterwards." She taps her fingers on her sword hilt. "It's not that I don't think you can beat her, it's that no matter how the duel would turn out, it would be bad for the Alliance. So, duty tells me, don't let the duel happen."

"But don't worry! I bet you a slice of that pie back there something goes wrong and we end up with swords drawn at some point anyways."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Whilst keeping a sly watch (and enjoying his food and drink significantly) Risuta communicates appropriately via his device.

pre:
Going to follow N to meeting later.
Find 'contact'.
Will meet in meantime but just giving head's up.
His message said before he finished and rose and went about his business, meeting up with Kaihime and co, and otherwise spending time casually before everything goes down tonight.

Going to try to follow No later on tonight when we should all be at Shiro Kato, see if I can find who the Traitor is.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

I'm going to go ahead and say you track down Tamagoo while the other two wrap up, then!

Shiro Kato (Kaihime, Kozue, Risuta(?))

Court has ended for the day, but Tamagoo is back there when you find him. He's using the court's holo capabilities to pore over a packed timetable that covers his days before the Winter Court (so, all the boring days).

"Ah, welcome back! You look like people who have been up to something. It went well, I hope?"

. . .

Golden Throne, Shiro Kato (Kei)

A good roll!

Inseki bows again. "Straight to business! I like that."

He leans back on an empty chassis with a clonk sound and scratches his "nose" while he thinks. The other ronin glance at him. They're obviously communicating, but they reach a decision quickly.

"Hmm, Hononori... Interesting man. Mechanical genius, emotional not so much. He doesn't get courtesy, but everyone's too courteous to tell him. Such is samurai life." Inseki pauses. "We mostly talk about machines, engines, vectors. Besides that..."

"His scanners," a ronin lady with a breathing mask says.

Inseki nods. "Yes. You ever met a man who has been to space? I mean really been to space. Outside the comfort of a spaceship. One with the Void. That can change you." He raps a knuckle on his head wryly. "Hononori's fascinated with a lot of old space myths. Space dragons, hidden alien ships, giant space kami. I heard he's been that way since he was little. Poor man doesn't get that it's just beautiful Void out there."

"He even installed some extra scanners on the ship. Doubt they'll pick up any giant space kami, but they'll try. I don't think his uncle knows. It'd get him some glory if he were just trying to improve the scanners and not discover space dragons, but it's a harmless hobby. We're planning to just tell people they're experiments."

Inseki reveals Hononori's main drawbacks: Failure of Bushido (Courtesy) and Fascination (Space Myths).

. . .

Meiko Ampitheater, City Beneath The Stars (Misuko)

"Hello, Zaru-san," Tachiko gives her an extremely insincere smile and winks at Misuko. "Oh, Misuko-san, the proper answer to everything is "No comment"."

Kikazaru presses forward anyway. "Thank you so much, Toki-san. Ah, right now I'm curious to know what you think of the Hotarugari so far. Are you enjoying it? Are you visiting anywhere else while you're here? Anything you're looking forward to seeing?"

Now she's half-asking, half thinking aloud. "What entertainment does an Ibis performer seek, anyway? There's a ship race in Mute Village tomorrow, a duel between a Crane and a Carp tomorrow, a movie premiere..."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Deal!", Kozue replies a smile and a nod to Kaihime. She's easy as far as bets go, given her chances of coming out ahead. Or maybe not quite chance at all, with the Carp...

───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

At Shiro Kato, though, she has good news to deliver! "The duel is off!", Kozue replies cheerfully, before uncertainty clouds her expression. "... maybe? But for now they want to talk, at dinner." She folds her arms. "Well, I'm sure it's been dealt with. I mean, the Crane are too honorable to try and make a duel into a bargaining chip, right? Far, far too honorable." Her eye twitches as she resists the chance to wink. "So I'm glad that's over with." She leans towards the holodisplay, poking a finger at it as if expecting it to somehow be physical. But it's not. "Good thing, too, it's a bad time for Kakita-san to duel. I checked her horoscope."

Pretty sure Risuta's still up to shenanigans.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Kakita-san wants to discuss the details at dinner, but she'd be willing to accept an apology. It doesn't even have to be in person - she doesn't want to see him again." Kaihime shifts a bit uncomfortably, this is the tricky bit. "The problem is that her deciding Hononori isn't worth dueling is an insult he'd have to challenge over, or it would damage the honor the Firefly and of the Alliance. So... to even the scales all around, I kind of suggested that the Firefly would present the Luck of the Mountains as a gift to the Crane during the Winter Court."

"That would satisfy honor and bushido. Changes things from mortal insults to what it actually was - a misunderstanding between friends who value the same virtues." Kaihime bows at the end, hoping her explanation holds up.

Sincerity: 4d10o10k3 14

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 3, 2016

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Ujina Risuta leant heavily upon the words of Kozue and Tamagoo, the Hare having arrived back at Shiro Kato, and for the moment relaxing and waiting for an appropriate moment to find and follow No.

"This news is definitely encouraging. By the way, I would be honoured if you would sate my curiosity regarding some Firefly matters. Are there many collaborative projects with the great clans? Especially clans that do not include the most august presences of the Crab or the Unicorn? Naturally this is merely curiosity on my part." asks Risuta, assuming of course this conversation does not take place in an overly public place. As he does this Risuta keeps a subtle eye on the possibility of proffered beverages, after all although we are working for the Firefly, we are still indeed guests.

Risuta is with all y'all for the moment.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"It would save them a lot of trouble trying to steal it!", Kozue says cheerfully in reply to Kaihime, waving a hand. "Joking, joking!" She taps her cheek in thought as she looks up at the ceiling. "Of course, a less honorable clan would have planned for that kind of thing all along, but the Crane are far too honorable for such a thing to be the case.", she muses aloud. "And with Kakita-san in so many duels... I had no idea there were so many rude people in the Empire!..." She looks to the Clan Champion. "Um, though not Honohori, he's so well-mannered, it must have just been a misunderstanding.", she adds, not really trying to veil her last statement with sincerity.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Misuko blinks! Maybe give her a moment to answer them one at a time? She didn't even know that the duel with Kozue already became a public affair!

"I've only been here for a few hours, but I'm certainly enjoying the ship so far. Kaiu-san has been a wonderful guide. I plan to see some of the colony's famous landmarks, and they tell me that the view of the city is lovely from Benten's Overlook." She ponders. "I haven't heard about a movie premiere, what is it about? I do enjoy film."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

"I talked to some dishonorable and dirty types~" Kei says from right behind Kaihime! "Well, dirty for sure. They might have been honorable. I didn't check! Our little Kato-kun has been up to some funny things! The ronin he worked with have lose lips for the Tortoise~. Did you know, I think he may be actually incapable of being polite? Ohohoho~!"

With a snap the fan covers her mouth - but not her laughter, which isn't entirely fitting for someone of her size.

"And a few other things too, of course. But it is the task of the Tortoise to carry that weight. Suffice to say, when the time comes, if it is needed, Kato-kun will do what big sis Kei-chan tells him to do."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Tamagoo sits back in relief. "Just a talk, is it? I'm fine with that. The Luck of the Mountains, now..."

The Firefly Champion rubs his chin in thought for a while.

"We might have to, I think. A duel record like that usually means her superiors have enough trust in her skill to force her into solving their disputes all the time. Handing over the Luck is our safest way out of this."

Gears start to turn in his head. "Relationships with other Clans can be tricky. Besides the Crab and Unicorn, our main project is something for the Ikoma. The Bards have some needs the Lion aren't equipped to handle. Oh, and the Phoenix want a smaller colony ship, but that's still in the planning stages. The Lion and Crab make two Clans the Crane don't like, so they don't do much business with us unless one of them wants a custom ship."

"But... if we gave them the Luck, they'd essentially be getting a fancy gift during Winter Court. Perfect time to seal a new contract, especially once they get a look at our latest work."

Tamagoo's thoughts fill with koku until he remembers you're still here. "Very well, I accept! Let's discuss it over dinner. You're invited, of course."

Gonna go ahead and jump to your planned encounter, where nothing can possibly go wrong!

. . .

Kikazaru happily chats about local events, but excuses herself a little swifter than normal once she starts to notice Tachiko hovering around like an impatient shark. "Thank you so much, Toki-san! Please don't hesitate to message me if you need anything. My inbox is always open."

Kikazaru bows, then hoists herself up a wall and bounds away with the ease of someone who was raised in a space station and doesn't eat much.

"Hmm," Tachiko says once she's gone. "Kikazaru means well, but she likes turning rumours into scoops. I don't think your duel is public. Someone's talked to her."

. . .

Shiro Kato, That Night

The dinner happens a few hours later.

You're ushered into an excellent dining hall with a fantastic view, and placed close enough to the Firefly and the Crane to weigh in if an argument starts. There are two empty seats in the way. Tachiko is quietly placed behind you, in case the Crab and Crane burst into flames when they get too close.

The Kakita show up fashionably late. Nō the keyboardist doesn't show up at all, which is a shame, because that means Dengakuhazama is the main courtier here and that name is way too long. He's a tall, thin man with the frame and clothes of someone who came in a plastic display box and the face of someone who had someone teach him to smile. Komatsu follows him with slightly less elegance and takes her seat wordlessly.

"Good evening, Kato-sama," Dengakuhazama bows and takes a seat.

"Good evening," Komatsu's eyes flick towards the empty seats. "Are we waiting on someone?"

"Oh, don't worry," Tamagoo says. "They're for the Octopus and Oriole Clan Champions. I'm sure they'll be here any minute now."

Komatsu tries not to look too relieved. "Very well. Then—"

Dengakuhazama cuts her off. "Then I hear you have an interesting offer for us? At least, that's what I hear from Komatsu's friends here."

Komatsu smiles at you, possibly because she is imagining kicking the Kakita courtier in the groin.

If you like, you can be elsewhere; nobody will mind if you would rather hassle somebody who isn't here. Either way, I'll let you get a Post in first.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 19, 2016

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Misuko enters the dining hall not long after Tachiko does, far behind from the others. Even as she moves across the hall to find her place, the Ibis hastily straightens her kimono and fixes her hair. She must have been really busy those past few hours.

"There, there, I'm sure you have all missed me." She says, sitting next on her fellow magistrates. "I hope there's good news regarding our dispute."

Mitama fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 25, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Kaihime surreptitiously sends a message to Tako Tsugumi, keeping her PDA hidden below the lip of the table. [Late for dinner. Lost again? Lemme know will come find you.] She's leaned ruthlessly on her status as a bushi to wear a very plain kimono to dinner, probably because its the only one she owns.

The Crow nods respectfully to Misuko, leaning over to speak quietly. "Kozue-san and I made a suggestion to Komatsu-san and Tamagoo-sama that could solve all our problems." She grins, adding, "I'm waiting with baited breath to see how it blows up in our faces."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

As Misuko pulls back the chair to sit in it, something catches her eye, and, a quick double take later, she realizes Kei is already here - sitting, in fact, in the chair she was just pulling out.

The Kasuga mostly hides an impish grin. Mostly.

"Oh! Hello, Toki-san! It's nice to see you too~!"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Misuko stares at Kei for a second, then looks over to the side in feigned shock.

"Pardon me, is someone missing their child? There's one who's just snuck up on my seat."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rubbing the back of her head, Kozue sits down next to Kaihime. "I really was trying to warn them more than convince them...", she admits to Misuko. She looks up slightly, huffing. "... well, I guess it's okay as long as nobody dies again." She doesn't really look satisfied, though, having the look of somebody who had their last piece of meat stolen.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Kei puts her hands to her cheeks and fake-gasps!

"Why, Toki-san! How could you make such a comment? After all..."

She gets a glint in her eye.

"We're sisters, aren't we? Talking to your adorable Kei-imouto-chan like that. Here, Toki-san, sit next to me~"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"Seems like this one was lost a long time ago," Kaihime comments. She glances around, then leans in, indicating Kei should as well, so they can speak privately.

"Kei-san, I need your advice on a matter of honor." The Crow rolls right over whatever joke Kei has for that. "You see, when this duel was first announced, I didn't realize I'd be involved. And many of the other samurai were talking about it, and... Well I made a bit of a wager, that Komatsu would kill him. I mean, it was an easy win, right?"

"But don't worry I wasn't biased!" She adds quickly. "I put a wager on him surviving too. And anyways I figured that if the duel was off, all the bets would be canceled. Except..."

"The wording on the second wager was that he would be alive at the end of the day tomorrow. Nothing about the duel or victory, just being alive. So... I'm getting paid out anyways."

"My question is, do I need to refuse the winnings? Cancel the bet? If I take the winnings, what do I do with them? I'm a bit lost on the matter."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Nō wasn't at the dinner party and... entirely coincidentally, neither was Risuta, instead he sent his wife, Kohansuki in his place...

Willpower: 2d10o10k3 10

Actually never mind that I mean that was the plan, but look a party where there'll be sake! Kohansuki's still there obviously!

Ujina Risuta is there, nice and early, and is severely disappointed at the lack of Nō, on the other hand this has given him the opportunity to start drinking and dressed as appropriate for such an occasion, after all a man of Risuta's... nature is going to have outfits for any such occasion (where drink might be involved) preprepared. Looking to his comrades, Risuta speaks. "Perhaps I should try to find our wayward guests? I am sure they are merely caught up in matters of work or similar. It should be no hassle at all to find them, I would imagine." said the Hare samurai as he 'nursed' another drink, leaving the discussing over the more direct matters of the duel to those who have had more first-hand dealings with the cyborg killer and the others involved with such things. That and obviously dishonourable dealings that the Tortoise have, the Tortoise are definitely useful - but that doesn't mean Risuta has to like them.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Leaning her hand on her chin and puffing out her cheeks, Kozue brightens at Risuta. "Oh, I could help out with that!", she says cheerfully, before then remembering herself and poking her index fingers together. "... if it's permissible.", she adds softly. Between polite dinner and adventure, her choice would be obvious, after all. Well. Potential adventure. In any case, anything was preferable to seeing the Firefly show their belly to the Crane.

Because the Crane are jerks, and she's not afraid to think it!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 27, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

For a Clan Champion of a Clan that deals in prophecies and guidance, Tako Tsugumi is bad at directions. In fact, she's bad at directions for a regular samurai. Her yojimbo Takako used to handle that for her, and now that he's dead Tsugumi is in trouble. She's got plenty of guards and assistants, but she outranks them by a lot and so far all of them have been too polite to say anything.

[Thank you, Kaihime-san. Here is my location.] Tsugumi replies with a picture of the dining hall on the wrong floor she's wandered into.

. . .

Tamagoo nods to Kozue. "If you see Yasuhiro, can you tell him to get over here? We'll probably need him. Don't go out of your way, he'll show up on his own eventually. If Tsi-san's here he's probably gone to ingratiate himself."

"Some Oriole entered shortly after us," Dengaku says. "I gathered they were held up by personal business. Champion Tsi-san did not seem in a good mood."

"That's not unusual," Tamagoo says. "I hope she's not lost."

Komatsu pipes up. "I believe they decided to tour the gardens."

"Ah, the gardens?" Tamagoo says idly. "They're lovely, if I do say so myself. I sent Hononori there to relax and reflect."

The samurai are just making idle banter, so it takes a few seconds. Komatsu is the first to raise her eyebrows.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Oh, Goemon!", Kozue replies, before adding, "... or thinks he is? Anyway." She stands up, bowing to Tamagoo deeply and then looking to Risuta. "Risuta-san, we can check the gardens?" Wink. She looks to the table a little regretfully; it did look like a good dinner, but the point of her whole warrior's pilgrimage wasn't to have delicious food. Which, in retrospect, seems like a terrible mistake, especially once her stomach protests loudly. Unfortunately, the urging of her ancestor is much, much louder.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Kaihime gets up too. "My apologies, I forgot to take care of something myself. I'll be back in a moment."

She nods to Kozue, indicating that if she and Risuta need back up to give her a call. Then she goes to retrieve the Octopus champion, before she somehow manages to get onto the wrong station.

If it's okay I figure Kei can respond to Kaihime's question when Cirno gets a chance to post and it takes place in between time.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

At Kozue's implication Risuta rose as well, bowing deeply to his honoured host. "Yes I think that would be appropriate. I am sure this will be no trouble at all and we can resume this enchanting discourse almost immediately." said the Usagi bushi, his face a mask of politeness, before he moved to Kozue and would make ways to begin the search, or at least a search.

Risuta would miss the sake, however he had managed to sate himself for the moment on it, and the promise of more once he had finished what he intended to start would only hasten his footsteps!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Misuko takes a seat next to Kei, though it doesn't take a few moments after before half of her associates scamper off to the gardens. Really now.

"I'm sure someone will escort Tsi-sama over here shortly. She should know we've been waiting for her." A smile, as she lets her presence control the situation. "Now, what was this about a deal?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Kaihime gets a very serious and worried look, covering half her face with her fan!

"Yes, I can see how this could be disruptive and potentially dishonorable. Note however that refusing the winnings could likewise be considered an insult in some circles. I advise you accept the winnings, then dispose of them in a properly honorable fashion."

The fan never leaves her face; her eyes barely sparkle.

"I can handle that, if you want. The Tortoise, rife as we are with other such underhanded ideas, are good with money. It's not proper for samurai to overly care about such things anyways, ne? Yes, probably best for both of us if you simply give me the winnings. To handle. Charitably."

When word of what will obviously be Hononori's next duel comes up and half the party suddenly excuses themselves to hopefully deal with this, Kei stays seated. She inhales deeply, very slowly. She exhales deeply, very slowly. Then the fan falls to find the perfectly crafted smile - absolutely designed to look forced.

"I am sure Hononori Kato-san is enjoying the gardens. Perhaps the Tsi will become acquainted with Kato-san's particular methodologies of honorable discourse and courtesy. No doubt it will be an eventful day for all involved. With such thoughts out of the way, I agree; let us focus on this deal."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kato Gardens [Kozue, Risuta]

The Firefly's gardens are alright. The designer was saddled with adding a bunch of fireflies to the place, because of course they were, which means much of the gardens are a little too wet to be observed up close. The view is pretty good, at least.

It doesn't take long to find Hononori. He is the dude being lifted into the air by strange magic tendrils.

Tsi Ping, Tsi Clan Champion

Ping was trained by the Murakomo, the Oriole Clan's shugenja school. The Murakomo are tasked with using magic to craft the kind of overpowered swords important samurai get—ripping metals from the heart of collapsed stars and using magic to make them light enough to wield, for example. You're not sure what part of her training lets Ping throw around what looks like a storm of purple energy feathers when she's mad, but you hear it happens a lot.

"Let me ask again," Ping says as Hononori floats a little closer to the ceiling. "What did you say about the Murakomo?"

"All I said was—"

"Sorry, just to be clear, I am the Tsi Daimyo and I am quite capable of tossing you into the lake. You were saying?"

"I'm just saying—"

"Are you just saying the same thing again or does it merely sound like that?"

"I'm not really sure what you want me to say!"

Ping pinches the bridge of her nose and waves her fan. Hononori floats a little closer to the lake. "Nnngh..."

Alright! What's your plan to convince a Minor Clan Champion with the Brash disadvantage to not drown Hononori in a lake?

. . .

The Wrong Hall [Kaihime]

Tsugumi is close, just four floors too low. This dining hall is completely empty, save for her and a cyber-ronin who looks like someone stuck an asteroid over his head. He's currently trying in vain to give her directions; when Kaihime enters, she's finally got her holo-map the right way up.

Tsugumi looks up just before Kaihime enters. It's an Octopus thing. "Ah, Kaihime-san! Hello! Have you met Inseki?"

"Hello," Inseki says. "Don't mind me. I'm just keeping an eye on this floor. There's a delicate meeting going on a few doors down that's not to be interrupted. Not yours, I'm afraid."

"The ronin guards were rather confusing," Tsugumi explains. "Though I suppose the Kato would post their own samurai if it were important..."

"Yes," Inseki doesn't shoo you because everyone in the room outranks him. "I hope you find the meeting you're looking for."

. . .

The Actual Meeting [Kei, Misuko]

Komatsu nods to Tamagoo. "Here's how I understand it. The Firefly present the Luck of the Mountains as a gift to the Crane during the Winter Court, Hononori submits an apology in writing and I don't have to sully my blade with his—"

"The Luck of the Mountains, eh?" Tamagoo was practicing this bit. "Well... given the alternative, we have no choice, I think. If those terms are acceptable to you..."

"Perhaps," Dengaku says. "Could you not... present this ship before the Court?"

Tamagoo almost drops his tea.

Komatsu turns to Dengaku and forgets to lower her voice when she hisses. "You were fine with this earlier, Dengakuhazama-san!"

"Perhaps." Dengaku sips his tea. "But this benefits the Firefly too, yes? They get a chance to seal a contract with us during Winter Court. That's an opportunity, not an apology."

Komatsu narrows her eyes. "It would be a mess! This deal is more than favorable!"

"I'm sorry, Komatsu-san, but am I the negotiator here or not? You should just worry about the duels."

"I am! This is my duel and I say we should just take the offer."

"Your opinion has been taken on board," Dengaku says in a voice that suggests it's been put in the brig, "but I am your superior, and as this duel concerns the ship—"

"With all due respect, sir," Komatsu is definitely thinking about stepping on his face, "I don't remember you ordering me to challenge. Duels are an art form, not a political chip!"

"I... well, that may be true, but I am still your superior! Would you like me an order now?!"

The voices are getting louder and louder. Tachiko quietly pulls a bag of rice crackers out and tosses a few in her mouth before offering it to Kohansuki. "Want one?"

The deal is getting derailed by... Crane infighting?? What do you do?

Ettin fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 20, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Oh?", Kozue says as she approaches the Daimyo casually. "What did he say?", she says, watching the display of magic as she sidles up beside. "It must have been really bad. Like, really bad, right? Really, really, really bad?" She looks thoughtful. "Really, really, really, really..." She'll continue in this vein until she's interrupted. Well, it's one way to try and distract the Tsi. Plan? It's not exactly a plan. Ask the Hare if you want one of those.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

The dining room chatter soon cuts off with the thunderous riff of an amplified shamisen. Misuko plucks away on her instument, loudly playing the opening chords of her latest single, until she gets everyone's attention for a second. Wait, when she did she get that?

"There is no need for raised voices in this dining hall. And frankly, we're getting off course. I know this isn't how the Crane conduct themselves even before the smallest of clans." She says, then oh-so-barely glances at Dengaku. "If the terms were acceptable before, I'm sure they are now. Or am I to believe the family whose school I trained under cannot hold to their word?"

_____

Courtier to push this towards the Firefly/Komatsu's favor: Trix, (11 8 6 5, 4 3 3 2 1) = 30

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Kaihime gives a slight bow to Tsugumi, since they know each other already, and a more formal one to Inseki. "Pleased to meet you, Inseki-san." She goes over to join them, standing next to Tsugumi. "We're four floors up, actually. Right over - there." Kaihime points back to the room she just left, pretty much exactly. "Maybe we should stick together, Tsugumi-sama. You have more important things to worry about than space station layouts." She glances at Inseki to let him in on the joke a little.

Crow generally get along well with ronin, but something about this situation has aroused Kaihime's suspicion. Hadn't there been some talk about a ronin crew working for Hononori? Kei had spoken with them. "Ah, you must know my colleague, Kasuga Kei. I hope this, ah, situation with Hononori-san hasn't caused too much trouble for you. I think it will all be sorted out soon." She looks at him directly now. "I would appreciate if you could lend us your support for that. I would be honored to work with you in some way if that would make it easier."

Kaihime is trying to see if Inseki will let her know what's going with the ronin by offering to help them out or make sure they don't get screwed by the current arrangement.
Sincerity: 4d10o10k3 22

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Kei, for the time being, does nothing but pay very close attention and take as many mental notes as possible. Crane in-fighting was good. Knowing about the in-fighting was better. Figuring out how to use it to your advantage was, of course, best. Knowing all of the above and then profiting from it? The Crane were a very rich clan. And Dengaku was a very impatient man. That's valuable knowledge. She tries not to shiver in anticipation.

Besides. There would be time to pull up dirt on Dengaku and shame him into submission soon enough. A Crane, kissing a Tortoise's feet, metaphorically? How delicious!

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta was somewhat taken aback by this turn of events, however he refused to let such a feeling show upon his features. As Kozue blathered at the daimyo, Risuta thought quickly about what would be necessary. The specifics of what that loudmouth had said were likely rather unnecessary, out of specifically wording an apology - which undoubtedly the man would manage to botch or make it sound insincere with some proviso or whatnot. However appeasing the Tsi daimyo would be more than necessary for myriad reasons.

But Risuta did not want to have to step over Kozue's interruption, partly because he couldn't yet ascertain where this was going, and secondly because he didn't want to accidentally incur the wrath of the Tsi daimyo, even if it would likely help The-Firefly-Who-Just-Wouldn't-Shut-Up. So it was Risuta came to regard this scene carefully, his eyes flickering between the different people as he shifted his body language to imply that he was here for Tsi matriarch, rather than trying to clean up the messes left by this one guy who has been alive for this long purely by the will of the Kami, it would seem.

"Ah, an honour to be in your presence, Tsi-sama" is all he said, making an appropriate bow, still keeping himself ready to react to whatever might happen next.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

I kinda like that response, so:

Ping turns her head until she's looking at the newcomers.

"It was... oh, forget it." With a snap of her fan, Hononori is released. She could have lowered him to the ground first, but his tumble into the bushes doesn't do any real damage and seems to amuse Ping anyway. Depending on your point of view, it works out.

Ping bows. "Hello. A Hare and a Carp, hmm? Are you enjoying like the gardens? Or did you need to talk to this man?"

Hononori hasn't fled yet. Why is he still here, what is wrong with him

. . .

The Wrong Hall [Kaihime]

Inseki might have a head shaped like an unfortunate lemon, but he can do subtle.

"I would be honored as well, Marumaru-san. If there's anything you need, the ronin of Shiro Kato are here for you."

"Soon, anyway. We're a little busy. The Kato are meeting with the Crane here, actually. Right over - there." Inseki points with a thumb towards a room down the corridor he's been trying to discourage Tsugumi from going down. Kaihime is pretty sure there are other paths in...

. . .

The Actual Meeting [Kei, Misuko]

Dengaku stares at Misuko for a while, then at the others. Not even Komatsu seems to agree with him on this one.

He sure slides into a new stance quick. With only an adjustment of his kimono, the Crane seems to go from trying to twist Tamagoo's arm to agreement so smoothly it almost seems like that was his plan all along. "Ah, of course. This is of course all a hypothetical."

"Sure," Tamagoo says.

"Would you mind delivering that apology before we leave? We'll be here another day. Our next stop is the Winter Court, so..."

"Of course, of course!" Tamagoo smiles and has a servant offer some tea. "Now, how shall we present the ship? I assume you can arrange staff to pilot it on your own, of course, but there are certain unique..."

The two get drawn into the technical details for a few minutes. While they're distracted, Komtasu gives Misuko and Kei a curt nod. Is that a smile...?

Looks like you sealed the deal! Anything else you wanted to get out of this dinner?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Kaihime raises an eyebrow, and makes another small bow to Inseki. "I think everyone will be busy soon. Winter Court tends to do that. But if something comes up, I will think of you first."

She turns back to Tsugumi. "I think we should be getting to our own meeting, Tsugumi-sama, don't you think?" The Crow makes a significant glance to the room Inseki pointed to. "Why don't I go with you there. Isn't it this way?" Kaihime hopes Tsugumi gets the idea - using the Octopus' lack of direction as a cover to sneak around and get to this other meeting. They've been on the station long enough now that Tsugumi would know Kaihime doesn't need to ask for directions.

Let me know if I should roll anything.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Hm?", Kozue starts, her train of thought rarely on the right track. "Oh! Well. We were sent to make sure you had no difficulties finding your way to dinner." She looks to Hononori. "Though it's fortunate nobody has to be bothered with the trouble of drying a silk kimono.", she adds conversationally. "Oh, wait, rude of me!" she exclaims before bowing. "Kohaku Kozue and Ujina Risuta, of the Smiling Tortoise delegation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Hope you don't mind if I skip calling for rolls! We're nearing the end of this adventure, which is good because the Court is next. :getin:

Ping tilts her head and nods. Her temper is famous, but she seems to defuse fast if something unexpected happens. Like Kozue.

"Fine, fine. But this man stays. The Crane swanning around here with their cybernetic art project are bad enough."

Defused!

. . .

The Wrong Hall [Kaihime]

There are more ronin on the way. They do a pretty good job of seeming to guard the area without actually getting in your way.

Soon, Kaihime finds herself peering through a slightly open door into a viewing room. It's a nice spartan affair, with a huge window looking out across the Hotarugari and a few couches facing it. Kaihime can make out two people: , the other Crane, and... Yasuhiro, the other Firefly you met in court.

Yasuhiro is talking. "...nothing I can do to change your mind?"

"I'm afraid not." Nō fans herself. "Komatsu-chan barely tolerates our duel requests as is. It's not worth the risk."

"Ah, well." Yasuhiro sits back. "Shame. The deal is off, of course."

Nō chuckles. "I'd say you'll have to find another way to get rid of your problem, but you seem quite calm."

Yasuhiro nods. "I've asked the esteemed Tsi Ping to assist the Clan in this delicate matter."

"Ah! You've explained the situation to her?"

Yasuhiro smiles. "No."

Tsugumi looks disapproving.

Want to do anything or just slink away?

• Locked thread