Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Ujina Risuta

Risuta spoke from his seat, his expression was largely calm and placid, though occasionally his eyes just flicker about as though in search of something. "Challenging a Crane to a duel? A most unfortunate turn of events. At this rate it will also become apparent that they trained a Kakita dojo, no doubt. Alas, such is life sometimes. Nonetheless, it will be somewhat of a relief to stretch our wings and take in the views somewhere a bit farther afield, I fear that this city maybe starting to become a little cosy, given how we are being graced by such... virtuous souls. So many that could be harbouring... dark secrets. My fellow Hares are quite busy, but a Hare being a magistrate is a very classical view." Also Risuta's absence would be a temporary relief on their sake supplies.

pre:
Ujina Risuta

Clan: Hare
Family: Ujina
School: Usagi Bushi
School Rank: 4
Insight Rank: 4
Insight: 202
Experience: 175/175

Honor: 5.5
Glory: 2.5
Infamy: 0
Taint: 0

Air: 3
  Reflexes: 3
  Awareness: 3

Earth: 3
  Stamina: 3
  Willpower: 3

Fire: 3
  Agility: 3
  Intelligence: 3

Water: 3
  Strength: 3
  Perception: 3

Void: 2

Initiative: 7k3
Armor TN: 24

Skills:			Rank	Trait	Emph	Rolls
Acting			3	Awa		6k3
Artisan: Songwriting	1	Awa		4k3
*Athletics		3	Str	Running	6k3
Battle			1	Per		4k3
Courtier		3	Awa		6k3
*Defense		3	Ref		6k3
Driving			1	Int		4k3
Engineering: Tech	1	Int		4k3
Etiquette		3	Awa		6k3
*Firearms		3	Ref		6k3
Games: Zero-g Kemari	2	Agi		5k3
*Hunting		1	Per		4k3
Iaijutsu		3	Ref		6k3
Investigation		3	Per		6k3
Jiujutsu		3	Agi		6k3
*Kenjutsu		3	Agi		6k3
Knives			1	Agi		4k3
Lore: Bushido		1	Int		4k3
Lore: Crab Clan		1	Int		4k3
Lore: Heraldry		1	Int		4k3
*Lore: Maho		2	Int		5k3
Lore: Underworld	1	Int		4k3
Meditation		3	Void		5k2
Perform: Guitar		1	Agi		4k3
Perform: Singing	1	Awa		4k3
Piloting		1	Int		4k3
Sincerity		3	Awa		6k3
Stealth			3	Agi		6k3

Acting 3 - The TN to create a disguise is reduced by 5.
Athletics 3 - Moderate Terrain no longer impedes movement, and movement across Difficult Terrain reduces the character's Water Ring by 1 instead of 2.
Courtier 3 -  The character gains an additional +3 Insight above the total normally indicated by his Rings and Skill Ranks.
Defense 3 - The character may retain the result of a previous Defense / Reflexes roll rather than make a new roll if the Full Defense Stance is being
maintained in subsequent rounds.
Etiquette 3 - The character gains an additional +3 Insight above the total normally indicated by his Rings and Skill Ranks.
Firearms 3 - Deal +1k0 damage when firing a gun.
Iaijutsu 3 - Readying a katana is a Free Action rather than a Simple Action.
Investigation 3 - A second attempt to use the Search Emphasis may be made without an increase in the original TN.
Jiujutsu 3 - The damage of all unarmed attacks is increased by +1k0.
Kenjutsu 3 - The total of all damage rolls made with a sword is increased by 1k0.
Meditation 3 - A successful Meditation Skill Roll restores up to 2 Void Points.
Stealth 3 - A character's Simple Move Actions while using Stealth allow him to move a distance equal to his Water x5.

Advantages
	Strength of the Earth: In your soul can be found the spirit of the mountains and the strength of stone. 
You can overcome injuries that would cripple other men. The TN penalties you suffer from Wound Ranks are reduced by 3. (2)
	Daredevil: You have a natural flair for athleticism and a complete lack of self-preservation when it comes 
to physical danger. Whenever you spend a Void Point to enhance an Athletics Skill Roll, you gain a bonus of +3k1 to the 
total of the roll instead of the normal +1k1. (3)
	Ancestor: Usagi Reichin: The founder of the Hare Clan was a man known for both his cheerful nature and for 
his clever tactics and great courage against the Bloodspeaker Cult. His guidance grants you a +1k1 bonus when resisting 
Fear effects; if the Fear is caused by a Bloodspeaker, the bonus is +2k2 instead. (7)
		Constraint: Although Reichin was a pragmatic ronin, he also fought with supreme courage in the 
Battle of the Bloody Retreat. If you ever flee from a battle with a Bloodspeaker when there is still a chance of victory,
 Reichin will forsake you.

Disadvantages
	Compulsion: Sake: There is some activity in which you are hopelessly compelled to partake. It is a ritual
 that is so ingrained in your behavior that it requires a feat of will to forsake it, even in dire circumstances. This 
may be something illicit and addictive, such as sake or gambling (it's sake), or it may be as innocuous as visiting every
 major temple you pass. The basic Disadvantage requires a Willpower Trait Roll of TN 15 to overcome. (2)
	Cursed by the Realm: Meido: The ennui of the Realm of Waiting fills your soul. When unoccupied by physical
 activity or social interaction, you tend to lapse into a trance-like state that causes you to suffer a penalty of -1k0 to
 all Perception-based rolls. (4)
	Fascination: Spicy Food: You are completely fascinated by some subject, and will go to great lengths to 
learn more about it or to experience it in new ways. Typical subjects of a samurai’s fascination include music, horses, 
poetry, and history. This fascination badly impedes your judgment, and you will take even dishonorable actions to learn 
more, which could end in absolute disgrace if your actions are discovered. (1)
	True Love: True love in Rokugan can be a wonderful experience, but more often than not it is a disaster, for
 it is rare for samurai to be allowed to marry for love. Whenever you are in a position where you must choose between love
 and duty, you must spend a Void Point before you can choose your duty over your lover. (3)

Armor
Ashigaru Armour (Bonus to Armor TN: +3 Reduction: 1, Price: 5 koku)
'Tatami Armour' (Bonus to Armor TN: +4 Reduction: 1, Price 10 koku)

Weapons
Katana - Atk 6k3, Dmg 7k2
	(Medium, Samurai; DR: 3k2)
Wakizashi - Atk 6k3, Dmg 6k2
	(Medium, Samurai; DR: 2k2, Thrown (20'))
Standard Rifle - Atk 6k3, Dmg 8k4
	(Medium, Samurai; DR 4k4, Range 500')
Standard Sidearm - Atk 6k3, Dmg 7k3
	(Small, Samurai; DR 3k3, Range 100')
Unarmed - Atk 6k3, Dmg 4k1
	(Small, DR: 1k1)

Techniques
SPEED OF THE HARE
The Hare are known for fighting with a speed and agility reminiscent of the animal for which their clan is named. In any
 situation where you have room to dodge, jump, and otherwise manoeuvre (GM'S discretion), you may add your Athletics Skill
 Rank to your Armour TN except when in the Full Attack or Centre stance. Your Water Ring is considered 1 higher for the 
purposes of how far you can move with Move actions.
LEAP OF THE HARE
The Hare bushi has learned to strike with a devastating springing attack that catches many opponents off guard. If you are 
in the Full Attack stance, you can leap forward and attack an opponent up to 15’ away without taking a Move action. All of 
your attacks on this Turn must target that opponent.
SWIFT AS LIGHTNING
The speed and flexibility of the Hare allows him to strike with fearsome rapidity. Your attacks with unarmed strikes, knives, or
Samurai-keyword weapons are considered Simple Actions.
KICK OF THE HARE
The Hare has learned not only how to strike with speed, but also how to dodge and avoid his foes at the same time. You may now 
perform your Rank Two Technique while in the Attack stance instead of the Full Attack stance. If you perform the technique in the 
Full Attack stance, you may make your second attack of the Round against another opponent within15’ of the first opponent.

Inventory
Ashigaru Armour, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Standard Rifle, Standard Sidearm, 'Tatami Armour', Traveling Pack, 3 koku

Wounds
Healthy (+0)	Nicked (+0)	Grazed (+2)	Hurt (+7)
OOOOO OOOOO	OOO		OOO		OOO
OOOOO		OOO		OOO		OOO
Injured (+12)	Crippled (+17)	Down (+37)	Out (-)
OOO		OOO		OOO		OOO
OOO		OOO		OOO		OOO

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Ujina Risuta

Ujina Risuta regarded the collected samurai warily, although he refused to allow such emotions to rise to the surface and become apparent upon his visage, the Hare samurai attempted to size up the assembled people for signs of peculiarity that could be a sign of something else. But then again Risuta generally did this when meeting new people, so it's not like this is an unusual reaction. The discussion of AIs is an interesting one, and one that troubles Risuta somewhat; after all what limits do these machine-minds possess? What can they comprehend? Being artificial in nature it would presumably be up to their creators to give them directives and objectives and whatnot, but it could be so easily forgotten to give them limits that might prevent them from dabbling in... forbidden topics.

"It is a great honour to have the opportunity to meet such resplendent individuals as yourselves." announced Risuta, going for a more standard greeting, his eyes flicking across the room to see if any refreshments were being supplied by his hopefully gracious hosts. For the moment Risuta would allow his more gregarious comrades to take the fore, while Risuta would regard how they respond and deal with such interesting people. How they react to Kei is going to amusing as usual, imagined Risuta.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta tried not to show a response to Kozue's sudden revelation. At the least if Kozue dies it will probably be less of an impact on Alliance affairs than if the idiot with the big mouth gets left in a hundred pieces by a killer cyborg.

"Perhaps we need more... details before we set ourselves down an irreversible path." remarked Risuta before turning to the Firefly champion and his nephew. "Kato-sama, Kato-sama, it would be most advantageous if you would provide us with any further pertinent details regarding this duel, as well as anyone else involved. Who in particular made the challenge? Also where are the artists and their entourage currently, if you would be so kind?" inquired Risuta, trying to be diplomatic as he steadfastly ignores any further faux pas committed by the engineer.

Not sure if those are the correct honorifics to use!

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta, desiring to size-up the... softer elements of the competition, heads to go find the Kakita artisans in general. While their ship is an option, coming aknocking would require more of a ploy than Risuta was willing to attempt right now, maybe later if things get more serious. For now Risuta follows Kaihime to the market area, after all, if their cyborg killer was there, at least a few others would probably be there too. It would be unlikely that they'd let her wander entirely alone, plus they are Kakita after all, they'd probably want to see if there's any objet d'art that they can snub in person.

Arriving, Risuta distances himself from Kaihime, as she seems to be more focusing on Komatsu, and the Hare did not want to have to deal with someone like that right now. Before Risuta will go have a proper look at the other Kakita however, the Ujina will scout about for any place selling kare raisu or similar, they might even have more exotic forms of kare; similarly any place selling sake, or failing that anything strongly alcoholic. Risuta has spent far too long without his vices.

However while he was doing this, Risuta will at least try to get a glance at the assembled Kakita, and what they are up to - any interesting conflicts that are visible from afar or similar other things of interest.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta sat content in front of his perfectly-legitimately-gotten gains, and as he ate and drank he became acutely aware of the nearby Kakita, in particular that they were discussing a Firefly ship; perhaps even the ship that the foolish boy had attempted to defend. Perhaps they were scrutinising it for talking points should they encounter Hononori again (or perhaps doing so should they attend the duel), or maybe they want to barb insults. The possibilities sloughed their way through Risuta's mind as he took another drink of sake.

Withdrawing his personal device, he began to play with it idly as he leant forward and listened in, hoping he could catch enough of the conversation from his own seat, while he maintained the pretence of merely playing around while enjoying the premises.

Investigation: 4d10o10k3 21

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 11, 2016

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta had heard enough, fell deeds were afoot. Or possibly afoot. Deeds that Risuta didn't like, that's for sure.

Risuta had already ordered, of course, deciding for something a little more exotic from the menu, to go with his sake. While he ate and drank (and kept the two kakita in the corner of his eye), he made notes on his device. Followed by a message sent to the rest of the group:

pre:
Kakita have a 'contact' in the Firefly.
Known to K Dengakuhazama and K Nō.
N will try 'contact' tonight.
D/N desire F ship blueprints/secrets,
Unsure how to proceed.
Status?
After he finished the message he thought some more, for the moment he had the luxury of time. He could follow them, however it would take a while before Nō'd get around to meeting Dengakuhazama's contact and during that time there would be a lot of risks. For the moment, Risuta would wait for a response and otherwise try to be inconspicuous as he enjoyed his meal (and kept a slight eye on the pair of Kakita).

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Whilst keeping a sly watch (and enjoying his food and drink significantly) Risuta communicates appropriately via his device.

pre:
Going to follow N to meeting later.
Find 'contact'.
Will meet in meantime but just giving head's up.
His message said before he finished and rose and went about his business, meeting up with Kaihime and co, and otherwise spending time casually before everything goes down tonight.

Going to try to follow No later on tonight when we should all be at Shiro Kato, see if I can find who the Traitor is.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Ujina Risuta leant heavily upon the words of Kozue and Tamagoo, the Hare having arrived back at Shiro Kato, and for the moment relaxing and waiting for an appropriate moment to find and follow No.

"This news is definitely encouraging. By the way, I would be honoured if you would sate my curiosity regarding some Firefly matters. Are there many collaborative projects with the great clans? Especially clans that do not include the most august presences of the Crab or the Unicorn? Naturally this is merely curiosity on my part." asks Risuta, assuming of course this conversation does not take place in an overly public place. As he does this Risuta keeps a subtle eye on the possibility of proffered beverages, after all although we are working for the Firefly, we are still indeed guests.

Risuta is with all y'all for the moment.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Nō wasn't at the dinner party and... entirely coincidentally, neither was Risuta, instead he sent his wife, Kohansuki in his place...

Willpower: 2d10o10k3 10

Actually never mind that I mean that was the plan, but look a party where there'll be sake! Kohansuki's still there obviously!

Ujina Risuta is there, nice and early, and is severely disappointed at the lack of Nō, on the other hand this has given him the opportunity to start drinking and dressed as appropriate for such an occasion, after all a man of Risuta's... nature is going to have outfits for any such occasion (where drink might be involved) preprepared. Looking to his comrades, Risuta speaks. "Perhaps I should try to find our wayward guests? I am sure they are merely caught up in matters of work or similar. It should be no hassle at all to find them, I would imagine." said the Hare samurai as he 'nursed' another drink, leaving the discussing over the more direct matters of the duel to those who have had more first-hand dealings with the cyborg killer and the others involved with such things. That and obviously dishonourable dealings that the Tortoise have, the Tortoise are definitely useful - but that doesn't mean Risuta has to like them.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

At Kozue's implication Risuta rose as well, bowing deeply to his honoured host. "Yes I think that would be appropriate. I am sure this will be no trouble at all and we can resume this enchanting discourse almost immediately." said the Usagi bushi, his face a mask of politeness, before he moved to Kozue and would make ways to begin the search, or at least a search.

Risuta would miss the sake, however he had managed to sate himself for the moment on it, and the promise of more once he had finished what he intended to start would only hasten his footsteps!

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta was somewhat taken aback by this turn of events, however he refused to let such a feeling show upon his features. As Kozue blathered at the daimyo, Risuta thought quickly about what would be necessary. The specifics of what that loudmouth had said were likely rather unnecessary, out of specifically wording an apology - which undoubtedly the man would manage to botch or make it sound insincere with some proviso or whatnot. However appeasing the Tsi daimyo would be more than necessary for myriad reasons.

But Risuta did not want to have to step over Kozue's interruption, partly because he couldn't yet ascertain where this was going, and secondly because he didn't want to accidentally incur the wrath of the Tsi daimyo, even if it would likely help The-Firefly-Who-Just-Wouldn't-Shut-Up. So it was Risuta came to regard this scene carefully, his eyes flickering between the different people as he shifted his body language to imply that he was here for Tsi matriarch, rather than trying to clean up the messes left by this one guy who has been alive for this long purely by the will of the Kami, it would seem.

"Ah, an honour to be in your presence, Tsi-sama" is all he said, making an appropriate bow, still keeping himself ready to react to whatever might happen next.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta was relieved that the ridiculous little man was released, and that the situation had been defused. Hopefully the fool has enough wits about him to be able to get the ideas that were being plainly foisted upon him. Maintaining a face of cordial obeisance (something Risuta has done in roles where he was in a more... supplicative position) towards the Tsi daimyo, Risuta felt the slight buzz created by his communications device upon his person.

With that he bowed appropriately before rising too and moving about almost in pace with Kozue, in order to maintain the appearance of unity, at the least meaning that he wouldn't be stuck alone with a temperamental shugenja. Checking his device he waited for Kaihime's response to Kozue's question for he too wanted to find out what this meeting was about.

Treachery could be afoot after all, but he didn't want to jeopardize the gathering of information by storming off and making a scene, not that he was incapable of stealth but it might be difficult to re-manoeuvre in an appropriate time based on myriad factors.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta felt a sense of resolution, at least, having witnessed the life of a blabbermouth being saved twice (if only to maintain better peace amongst the Alliance), and trusting in the honourable Crow to deal with the realm of... corruption where it appears. Not all corruption is supernatural in nature, luckily, or Risuta would have greater cause for alarm.

"This was quite the visit. This place is peaceful yet energetic, I hope it stays clean of... problems in the future." pronounced Ujina Risuta, slightly ominously. But such were his ways.

Secretly he wished to be back on the World of Dreams post-haste, the food here although nice as ever was nothing compared to the cosmopolitan delights that are found on the world that the alliance headquarters are based upon.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"Hmm." mused Risuta, his expression as unreadable as always (or most of the time, at least), "It would be most helpful if you could assist me in any information regarding security at the Winter Court, that I am permitted to know, of course. I will admit I am more concerned about more... clandestine issues that could arise, although I am sure the Seppun and attending organisations have all bases more than covered, I would still wish to assist in any more Hare-related security concerns. We are after all among the hosts for such an event and it would be unseemly to force our guests to do all the security work." inquired the Hare samurai, and although he outwardly made it apparent that he was concerned specifically about the things that he spoke of, he was ultimately a little curious about the menu and if there was an open bar.

As he spoke gravenly as he did, he adjusted his well-made Hare kimono, although even in the more ostentatious times Hare outfits were relatively utilitarian, however where jewellry would be present there was an abundance if jade. That's a tip the more court-facing Crab will teach you. Underneath his nice clothes he had the subtle 'Tatami Class' power field generator of course, but undoubtedly the actual guards at the court would have similar (or better) hidden 'armour', and thus it would likely go unnoticed on his part.

Idly, are we allowed to spend the XP we just gained, now?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Ujina Risuta kept a watchful eye over the entire proceedings, maintaining contact with the other Hare agents about the chamber, the Hare clan display including a somewhat dour reminder of the origins of the Usagi and Ujina families, and why security and moreover vigilance were paramount to a future untainted by troubles and dangers. Given the nature of discussion as to what in particular the Hare at various junctures had been forced to deal with however it does couch such displays with poetry, metaphor, and simile. It'd seem rather untoward to mention such undesirable things here and now, especially in the presence of the emperor himself. Also it has a large statue of a hare (well, large for a hare) made of jade. Such a waste, but then again it can later be discretely ground down and used for other purposes. Regardless Risuta made a special attempt to note down all mentioned guests as noted by the various speakers, especially the myriad minor clans, partly as a topic of discussion but also because he might later attempt to do some research on the minor clans that he is less confident in knowledge of, because it always helps to be sure of who your friends are, and moreover who are your enemies.

With that in mind Risuta would try to make contact with the the Kuni if possible, using his dedication to dealing with such... unsavoury elements in act as a mutual topic of assurance. The Ujina confidently made his way (taking the time to sample the sake as he did so, and make the minimal chit-chat as required in such circumstances) towards the most prominent Kuni in the room (within reason), and try to make contact. Risuta hopes that he can use this to improve relations amongst the Kuni, moreover he hopes that he might be able to begin negotiations to provide Kuni training amongst the Hare, whether this is for more explicit witch hunting or for shugenja-training for the appropriately puissant would vary.

However Risuta would otherwise keep in mind amongst his actions at court that the clan in general have begun to propose an interesting project that would be suitably advanced by the acceptance and discussion by the greater clans. Namely the use of Hare clan samurai as delocalised anti-taint (and anti-shadow) agents threaded amongst the other clans, allowing them a greater presence of surveillance and security amongst the empire in general. Of course such a project would be relatively grandiose but the nature of the proposal hinges on the Hare's minor clan status, which would hopefully make this be seen as an move more in the realm of beneficence and enlightened interest towards the security of the empire at large rather than a move to grab power as might be seen if the Crab were to try something like this.

However making that proposal public can wait until the guests are more suitably ensconced in the events of the Winter Court.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Ujina Risuta bowed appropriately for meeting someone of this station before he responded. "It is an honour to be in the presence of such an august individual as yourself. Vigilance is an eternal requirement, even in these relatively peaceful times, in fact especially in such peaceful times when enemies from without give way to enemies from within. On that note, I believe it would be mutually beneficial if my clan were to be granted some measure of access to tuition within your most esteemed family's schools. It would provide a more comprehensive education on locating and neutralising such possible threats that might occur, granting greater security and calm to the empire in general - as well as showing the efficacy of your family's most hard-researched techniques and traditions. Perhaps we could make concessions in order to make this more palatable to your most esteemed self? Your family's research into more 'interesting' worlds is quite astounding, perhaps we could assist you in some manner. But I get ahead of myself, first I must ask - what do you think of this proposal, Kuni-sama? " is what Risuta said, his expression even but unwavering, his voice solid yet not intimidating - for it was not necessary.

After his proposal he took a sip of sake, obviously showing that he was confident in this, for a more worried person might well try to stay sober so that they might get a better measure of those that they faced.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"I prefer to think of this as, grating ample time to consider my proposition - rather than trying to foist it upon you at the last minute in some brazen attempt at resolution." replied Risuta to the observation that this was a rather daring manoeuvre. Still, the Hare considered the question laid down by the prominent Kuni.

Lore:Maho: 5d10o10k3 27

"Most prominently I would say that I find your research on the interaction between K+ and especially K- particles and their nascent emitters, and P-type materials - furthermore the more advanced interactions utilising charged manipulation - electrical or otherwise proves an interesting direction of research." is what Ujina Risuta replied with. Of course to the layman this might not make much sense, but K+ nascent emitters are another term for kami, while K- nascent emitters are another term for kansen, their particles are of course a form of radiation that it was determined that they emit (non-nascent K+/K- emitters can be many other things, including tainted things in the latter case). P-type materials is short for Pure-type materials, chiefly Jade and Crystal and alloys and materials that have been determined to have similar properties (Obsidian falls within a similar classification but isn't an actual P-type material).

After nattering on about these interesting particulars, Risuta of course has another drink, his expression being more serious for once.

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 14, 2016

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Ujina Risuta was pleased by the progress he had made, this could definitely be a source of many things, either personal power or status, learning the secrets of the Witch Hunters (and perhaps having the opportunity to create some kind of hybrid fighting style), or at the least power and opportunity for his Clan, as well as providing a firmer foundation for the later proposal that Risuta will make on behalf of his clan more generally, a proposal that Risuta wholeheartedly believes would benefit the Empire in its entirety if it were to be implemented, assuming of course the Hare were to be granted appropriate resources in order to be able to carry it out.

Beyond this Risuta would take the opportunity to relax a little, and with his proposal and attempts to build a rapport with a prominent Kuni well underway, he decided it would be best for himself somewhere else to do his thing. Namely drink sake and see if there's anything spicy in this place. With that in mind Risuta will politely excuse himself from the presence of Kuni Hikari and get more refreshments.

Still not entirely willing to let his guard down, Risuta spends some of the less involved time doing minor research into the lesser known minor clans that he had heard mentioned, and keeping in touch with other Hare agents to see what they've heard or seen and if any of it is pertinent.

- - - -

Risuta generally is quite highly strung when he's anywhere near sober, and the news of something going amiss was too good for him to pass up, he quickly responded on his communication device before finishing his drink and making quick steps to the meeting point.

[ Acknowledged, inbound as of this notice. ]

He was glad to have something more business-related to take his mind off of the possible result of his proposal, and even he didn't want to drink his sorrows away entirely. It was a little bit too early for that. Maybe later on, either as a reward for catching some criminal scum or a commiseration for them getting away.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Ujina Risuta checked his communication device eagerly, expecting something of note. He was not disappointed! The Hare samurai replied quickly, has he still moved to the last point of interest.

pre:
Am near previously discussed meeting point.
Need to find a good place to 'investigate' these unknowns.
Should we do this at the meeting point or somewhere further out?
Is what he replied with as he checked to find Kozue's location and hopefully plot Kozue's prospective route to the teahouse and from there work out a good ambush point - if possible. All this faffing around had put Risuta bit on edge, he tends to get sleepy when not much is happening and this would be a good exercise to wake him up.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"Indeed. A rather unfitting place to wander at such a time, I might say. I am Ujina Risuta, honour demands that I inquire to whom I am speaking with." is what the Hare samurai would say, his stance too belying being ready for whatever tricks these wave men might possess. However his inquiry was merely a distraction of sorts, him trying to gauge them up rather than deal with them in any seriousness... unless what their reply is grants some greater insight, of course, however all the while the Ujina kept his eyes and ears alerted to anything that might indicate anything that he might find noteworthy about the dishonourable assassins that disgraced these streets with their presence.

Investigation/Perception: 6d10o10k3 25

Additionally he would keep his wits about him in a much more lower fashion, after all such lowlifes would no doubt take violence as their first recourse, and might find simple pleasantries are offensive to their ears.

Initiative: 5d10o10k3 32

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta seems almost... disappointed as he looks over the assembled rabble. "Hmph. Petty troubleshooters, rebuilt for action but not a true threat to us." he mutters to the others, quietly. "Who sent you? Do you want Kohaku-san dead?" he inquired fiercely, his voice steely and forceful, his eyes flickering between the cyborgs, his body language telling that he was still ready for battle.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Although Risuta had some skill at singing, song-writing, and even playing the guitar - karaoke was usually not his thing (unless he had been drinking a significant amount) but he quickly realised that a literal pop star is going to be hard to beat. On the other hand feeding others' egos and having a good time were much more easily within Risuta's grasp.

Plus less people would object to him leaving a few too many empty bottles of sake around then. Risuta tried to act graciously (between drinks) and act as a proper member of the audience, appreciable and keenly taking interest!

Sincerity/Awareness: 6d10o10k3 24

And good enough is good enough, especially when sake is involved!

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Ujina Risuta found the atmosphere of this tournament fascinating. But he of all people knew that some preparation might be necessary, although these kinds of circumstances do not particularly resonate with his fighting style, the other aspects of this event did resonate fairly well with the nature of the Hare. With that in mind Risuta would make sure he was well fed and watered (but not drunk, at the least he would promise himself congratulatory drinks (just not too many) if he wins, and commiseratory drinks for if he loses) before his round.

At least the pressure would not be on for him so much for this round, as much as it would do him and his arguments better by winning, especially against some fool in a pompadour - the Alliance would benefit if a Minor Clan samurai made it into the top three regardless, and since he was due to face another Minor Clan samurai this wouldn't exactly be a turning point - at least based on his own skills.

Still, his Hare Clan tendencies still were quite heavily working upon him, and he would seek to check with his comrades to see if there are any rumours or suspicions of note about any of the duellists involved - especially the one he would be facing in the first round, not that he would hope that any Alliance members would stoop to such low methods, at the least as a magistrate he has some clout if that were the case. Plus, winning by default should someone be disqualified for whatever reason has its own benefits, being better rested for later rounds and confident that the kami are giving you their blessings via serendipity is always a plus.

Regardless, Risuta appreciates having more people bet on him than his opponent! Always a confidence-booster, that.

Not sure what I would need to roll to accomplish this, if anything. Risuta isn't doing more

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

This time the gamblers seemed less certain, which is fair enough - even though he did almost kill the Clam Clan duellist. But facing a great clan samurai should certainly be a challenge, even if it is from a less duel-focused family like the Hiruma. Risuta appreciates that Daigo has to use Kaiu medication in order to acclimate himself more rapidly to this world's clime, and is hoping this will give him an advantage. However his performance in his last duel does seem to indicate that although he might not necessarily be the fastest, he might well be able to provide a more stalwart defence against a first blow.

Still, if the fight proceeds beyond the opening strikes, at the least Risuta has the advantage that he can employ his Hare techniques to a better extent, the opening strikes in an iaijutsu duel leave no room for the madcap acrobatics and manoeuvrability that the Hare are known for.

Still, Risuta would keep an eye out for anything relevant that he can otherwise discern from Hiruma Daigo, their history, affiliations, and fighting style that he might be able to use to his advantage. However, being an active participant in this tournament he had also better make sure that he is appropriately prepared in mind, body, and soul in order to be able to deal with the tribulations that might assault in him the near future.

Plus he promised himself a few more drinks at the end of all this if he wins. Hell, maybe even try out that new place he'd seen the other day, see if their kare raisu stands up to scrutiny.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta was positively incensed at having his meal interrupted by some vagrant alien abomination. "Luckily, no!" he replies quickly as he rises from his seat and Kozue sprints. His customary bowl of kare raisu was going to get cold, but at least it wasn't something new that he wanted to really focus on tasting, so it could have been a worse situation.

Kozue's aid was useful, allowing people to scatter and cause it to stop and fight with the mop jamming its mouth open. It gave Risuta a clear shot as he drew his sidearm, the bass hum it emitted as it charged up reminded Risuta that he hadn't had much opportunity to use it lately - generally a good thing - however an alien monster was a perfectly acceptable target. "Watch out!" he shouted as he fired from the hip, as all good samurai are supposed to do - let the bolt of radiant energy find its way.

Firearms/Reflexes: 6d10o10k3 16

And good enough is good enough! I mean taking too much pride can be... problematic..

Risuta let loose a couple bolts of radiant energy from his sidearm at the beast, hoping to down it or at least wound it sufficiently to allow it to be finished off - and moreover no longer a threat to those around.

Happily, Ettin was just telling me how thanks to Kozue's roll, the TN for just straight up shooting it went down to 15. Hooray!

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Ujina Risuta confidently holstered his sidearm before he approached Kozue, Anzu, and the alien beast's corpse. "It is under strange circumstances that we meet again, Anzu-san." said the Hare samurai as he tried to get a closer look at the alien beast (though obviously not close enough to touch it). "Do we know where this thing came from? I don't imagine such things are native to this planet. Perhaps it had an owner? This is quite an unusual planet, it might have been someone's 'pet'." inquired Ujina Risuta as glanced about to see if anyone was coming to investigate, while also taking a few quick looks to see if it had anything like a collar or identifying markings that might state that it was within someone's possession.

Investigation/Perception: 6d10o10k3 24

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 16, 2017

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"Thank you for the warning, Asahina-san." replied Risuta to the shugenja before he continued his survey of this creature and the surrounds.

"Hmm. I dare say I'm not a big study on alien species, but it looks like it's been handled or treated in some fashion by someone, and it's not native to this planet. This was brought in in some way. We should probably find a xenobiologist and see if they can tell us more. That and a way to move it safely, if it possesses anaesthetic properties then it might be dangerous to handle, especially if it's being transported over whatever distance is between us and a hypothetical xenobiologist. Hmm." says Risuta, his eyes flicking over the body of the creature and any signs of which parts probably look the most dangerous, as he thinks about anyone who would fit the bill.

"If its secretions are not too easy to become exposed to it might be simpler to wrap it up in a tarpaulin and attach it to an appropriate vehicle, assuming the owner of said vehicle doesn't mind alien ichor staining it, of course." remarked Risuta as he continued to think.

Does Risuta know of anyone with this sort of expertise?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"Greetings, Haruo-san. You have... impeccable timing when it comes to wearing all appropriate equipment for this endeavour, on such short notice as well." said Risuta as his gaze flicked up and down of Haruo's concealed figure. "Although generally I don't see any harm in giving it a more... thorough examination. It's either that or let it slowly decompose... assuming that's what it does. However, the thought occurs given the unknown nature of this and why it is here and so on, it might be best to given it a thorough scanning before you actually dissect it. If only because who knows what has been done to it before and it wouldn't do to have any... unpleasant surprises." continued Risuta, unwilling to take unnecessary risks, especially when it comes to what is ostensibly subterfuge.

"However, if it's all the same to you I'd prefer to let you give it a thorough examination, assuming it's safe, with me not present in the room at the time." said Risuta, although thankful is not nearly fascinated in xenobiology to wish to witness someone digging into the remains of one.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta was beginning to do that thing where he starts to zone out that some may have noticed when things get too quiet. He was gladly startled into focus by the commotion outside. "I'm going to go find out what that was, it doesn't sound good. You should probably stay here Kei, and yes Haruo-san, I'd appreciate it if you continued to work on this while we're gone... something tells me this isn't coincidence, and we need as much information as we can find regarding something like this." Risuta managed to bark out before storming off outside, one hand reaching for his sidearm, the other for the activation circuit for his 'tatami' class 'armour', although deploying neither for the moment. Kozue made it out in front of him of him of course, his still 'waking up', combined with being more verbose both slowed him down in this case, perhaps to his detriment, or to Kaihime's.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta went for his pistol as he shifted his position during his advance, moving to put Kaihime out of the direct line of fire for his shot as he got closer to the alien beast.

Firearms/Reflexes: 6d10o10k3 32

Damage (Standard Sidearm): 7d10o10k3 34

Although Risuta's trained reflexes could have let him get another shot off, one shot was all he needed. He didn't even get close enough to the beast to necessitate the activation of his armour, something that he preferred - why reveal your secrets if you do not need to, after all.

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 6, 2017

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"Agreed. I believe this warrants investigation. However, Kasuga-san, it might be... helpful if I were to be closer to your proximity, at least on site. I am after all able to employ... subtlety, when it comes to such matters, which especially might be useful if... events start to occur. We will likely have to move quickly, however, for these conspirators might be able to infer that we are beginning to trace them, and if they get... concerned they might be much harder to find." replied Risuta, giving a knowing look when he refers to his subtlety.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"Hmm. Discretion might assist us in this endeavour but who knows what lies within the restricted floor of this warehouse, so this makes planning difficult, and discretion might be a costly method if it becomes apparent that whatever the restricted floor conceals is dangerous or hostile or similar in nature. A more aggressive approach could work but would almost certainly involve conflict, something that might seem untoward to witnesses but moreover would be a risk to ourselves and our duties, not to mention given the unknown nature of what lies within might create some form of unexpected escalation. A more diplomatic approach could work, however then we might have to give some thought as to how to make such an approach, and if we might want to make ourselves seem less.... bold. What do you all think?" said Risuta as he considered the data provided by his fellow clansperson earlier, as well as the information that Kei and he had gathered recently regarding this warehouse, idly drawing paths of approach to the warehouse and considering strategic and tactical inferences regarding the local terrain and cover and the like.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"As I was saying, I think discretion might be appropriate given these circumstances, but we should be prepared for resistance given how this might very well be the pens for these creatures. With that in mind a more... subtle yet unexpected entryway might be necessary, unless we can come up with a coherent disguise and moreover, an excuse that would allow us access as if we were a part of this deal or whatever it is that is occurring here." replied Risuta as he used his device to consider various entryways and any surveillance data that either says he might have been seen entering or exiting this place, and/or surveillance data that might imply movements of sentries and thus the more heavily guarded areas of this facility if possible.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta employs some of the discretion that he utilised in his younger days, when he did his duty to his clan in more clandestine functions, and as such followed the tiny Tortoise, but he did not go unarmed or unarmoured, he had his sidearm upon him and moreover he had his 'Tatami'-class armour on him, although currently turned off (it could be turned on easily).

The Hare samurai looked to the Tortoise, and spoke in a low voice. "How do you want to proceed?" he hissed as his eyes scanned over the area, currently most interested in the cyborg guards playing games, and how attentive they are currently.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"I have a different idea; I'll lead and you.... operate by whatever parameters that you deem necessary and consequently I have not been consulted on but I otherwise assume to be perfectly honourable in nature." said Risuta as he gripped his pistol tighter and suddenly moved back, giving himself a running start he leapt through the window, activating his 'Tatami'-class armour while he was in mid-air, causing it to silently sheathe the Hare samurai in the glow of radiant energy.

Athletics/Strength: 6d10o10k3 24

Ath/Str 1 rerolls (Running Emphasis): 2d10 11 Because wasn't sure if the emphasis applied or not but it seemingly does

With the Emphasis rerolls that moves the total up to 27

assuming 27 is good enough...

Risuta smashed through the window and then rolled, pistol still drawn and now aimed directly at the guy fumbling with the keys.

"Stop in the name of the law!" shouted Risuta with his sidearm pointing right where it should be. With such a crazy diversion at least now no-one will notice the Tortoise, should she do anything useful....

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 13, 2017

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

After seeing that any and all ronin in attendance are apprehended and bound up and so on, Risuta turns to the others. "Should we investigate this by hand, or call in experts to deal with this? I guess the ultimate question is with this place seized, will the attacks stop? Or are there more places like this - and moreover do we have some kind of time limit that we are not aware of?" pondered Risuta, who will also listen keenly to whatever the Ronin that Kozue asked a question of says.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"Hmm. This is certainly a possibility I hadn't really considered. But this does go somewhat over our jurisdiction I feel. Unless whoever is behind this is down there right now. But a site of 'alien' ruins is more likely to fall under the Exploration Corps, if not some other group based on this world." said Risuta after giving what lies under the tarp a brief examination. "Hmm...." murmured Risuta, his voice trailing off as he peered through the pallets to get a better look of what lies underneath there.

"Wait. This isn't right. Scratch that on 'native lifeforms' at least for the moment. I mean they might still be but there's probably a shugenja involved or something now. Hmm." he continued as he went over to the portal and had a longer look. "I can tell you this isn't the wrong kind of magic at least, presuming it is magic and not some weird... alien... technology. We may want my wife to take a look at this but we might not have the luxury of time. Hmm." finally finished Risuta, his voice dropping into a murmur as he scratched his head.

"I could use a drink." he announced, and went off to see if the ronin had any drinks on them.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Risuta begins sampling the sake before wandering about to the gate. "You know I reckon that this ronin or at least someone on their behalf have made it to the other side of this. We should probably ask them what's over there, and if nec'ssary get them to guide us over there, because I don't know about the rest of you but I don't like the idea of this gate being stuck open here, who knows what might come across. Probably more of those beasts." said Risuta to those assembled, between sips of his newly-plundered sake. "Also this stuff isn't half-bad, probably works better with a meal."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Coming back from his minor drinking session, Risuta turned to Kaihime and the others, idly holding a now empty bottle. "Agreed, if we're going into the unknown to possibly die horribly, we may as well leave our last contact as 'Going to do something dangerous', rather than just disappearing and never being heard from again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

"Well this is certainly astounding. Hmm." mutters Risuta as he starts taking his equipment out of his bag and starts re-equipping anything that might be necessary for hypothetical combat encounters, before he checks his personal device. "Hmm." he mutters again before trying to work out how far this planet is from the World of Dreams. "This portal is much faster than what we could normally do. We should make sure that this is studied... who knows what it could yield. I mean I for one wasn't expecting to get quite this close to the frontier any time soon... if we make our presence known to either the crane or the mantis they'll undoubtedly want to know why, and then they'll try to turn this portal to their advantage. I don't see introducing ourselves as ideal... this might require some thought" continued Risuta before going to have a more thorough look around the Ronin's encampment to see if they have any supplies that he'd be particularly interested in.

• Locked thread