Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

This is a sequel/revival thread for my Emerald Stars game. I'm going to summarise what happened last thread, skip the ending to the last adventure and describe what probably would have happened, then we'll start a new adventure.

Previously, On Emerald Stars posted:

• You (the crew of the Otokodate-maru) started in the headquarters of the Minor Clan Alliance: the City of the Smiling Tortoise, on the Scorpion capital planet World of Dreams.
• City Governor Toku Bakami hired you to help the Monkey Clan prepare for the upcoming Winter Court, by going to the fog-shrouded Mantis world Yama-no-Kami's Remembrance and picking up a gift they commissioned from a ronin named Akihabara.
• You tracked Akihabara and his magnificent hair to his hidden workshop and got the Monkey Clan's gift: the most average sword in the galaxy. It is breathtaking in its flawless adequacy. The Monkey are weird, man.

• You had a few days to kill, so you went to the local theater. The local troupe showed plays about a ronin related to Emma-O who talks to ghosts and gets killed trying to avenge them.
• You talked to the troupe's leader, a ronin named Choumaru who is definitely not related to any of the Fortunes. She talks to ghosts. Through her you met Hida Kaiya, a foul-mouthed Crab ghost, who said that there were many ghosts on this world and a bunch are "going apeshit".
• You also met the planet's stubborn old governor Yoritomo Atsuya and his guard captain Shudo Saeko. Saeko was pretty busy with weird happenings around town, but mostly because Atsuya kept wasted her time with pointless errands.
• Saeko sent you to arrest the Phoenix shugenja Isawa Natsumi on suspicion of being behind the weird things going on. She was not, but based on her grumbling you decided the mountain Kantanzan might be.
• You went to Kantanzan and found Natsumi's old sensei Agasha Bantarou, who'd been using the ancient standing stones there to summon the Nibui no Oni. You shot Bantarou and then ran the Oni over in a van.
• Then you sent Risuta's shugenja wife Kohansuki to cleanse the place, convinced Choumaru to follow you offworld to get a patron, and invited Kaiya to haunt your spaceship.

• A week later you brought the gift to Bakami and stuck around to catch an Imperial announcement. The herald Miya Seiyuko announced that Winter Court 3122 would be held in the City of the Smiling Tortoise, and everyone went bananas.
• Bakami hired you to go to the Dragon world Kitsuki's Eye, to tell the Minor Clans headquartered there to get ready. You also met the Scorpion ambassador to the Minor Clans, Bakami's spooky friend Bayushi Asaji.
• You landed and went to Lucky Star City to meet with its Clan Champions: Tako Tsugumi of the Octopus, Mitsubachi Aoi of the Bee, Oguma Otori of the Bear, and Kawaso Mikuji of the Otter.
• While you were there you discovered that Tonbo Hamaya, a Dragonfly samurai who worked with the Clan Champions, was dead.
• You decided to investigate and started talking to people, like Tsugumi's yojimbo Tako Takako, Misuko's manager Toki Yukari, the garden-tending monk Tsutsuji, the magistrate Kitsuki Taehime, and the ronin crime lord Mekajiro.
• Asaji hired Kei to deliver a love letter to Mikuji, and Kei convinced her to not run screaming.
• That's where we started skipping ahead, so let's go ahead and spoil the rest of it: Tako Takako had the strange power to see when people have a Dark Fate, and killed Hamaya hoping to prevent his. He also killed Hamaya's secret associate Mekajiro to cover his tracks (Mekajiro was secretly a robot but that didn't really matter). With your work done, you left the Octopus to sort that poo poo out (hint: seppuku) and left.

Now...

. . .

Palace of the Small Forest, City of the Smiling Tortoise, World of Dreams
14th Day of the Rooster, 3122

Well, this sure has been a month.

In the two weeks since you visited Kitsuki's Eye, things have somehow become even busier. This is the point where there's still a lot of work left to do, not a lot of time, and everyone's panicking. The Great Clans have already started to move in, and they're somehow all helping and getting in the way at the same time. It's bureaucratic bedlam in here. Governor Bakami actually has most of her schedule properly booked instead of relying on her "eh, just show up and we'll fit you in" system for once.

You get slotted in between 10AM and 10:08AM. When you reach Toku Bakami's office, it is a mess. The massive viewscreen window is mostly blocked by windows displaying scheduling and logistics information, and a bunch of extra screens and storage boxes are slowly taking over her leisure space. There's barely enough room for her Mobile Suit Ō-yoroi figurines. Governor Bakami herself is at the viewscreen, checking on the messages her subordinates deemed important enough to send to her in the last five minutes.

Toku Bakami, Governor of the City of the Smiling Tortoise

Bakami looks a lot more tired than last time, but she's clearly holding up. In fact, she seems to have turned into some kind of frightening paperwork machine.

"Ah! There you are," she smiles and bows. "Long time no see, by this month's standards. If you don't mind, I'd have some work I'd like you to do."

She waves her cyber-hand, and a colony ship appears on her screens.

quote:

Hotarugari 1
Type: Space Station (Tatsu-class Colony Ship)
Alleigance: Minor Clan Alliance/Crab Clan
Primary Clans: Firefly, Oriole, Crab, Dog, Unicorn
Population (est.): 5 million

Here's what you all know: The Hotarugari is a colony ship carrying a Rokugani-like environment with mountains, seas, and a city. The place was built by the Firefly Clan with help from the Crab and Unicorn, and it's surrounded by a massive shipyard. When someone hires Firefly to build a ship, this is where they pick it up. The weaponsmith Oriole Clan have a lot of territory here, and as the Firefly rely on the Dog Clan for protection they have plenty too.

Misuko was actually headed there in a few days for a singing gig - a lot of Great Clan samurai are visiting to pick up ships they want to bring to the Winter Court, and they're desperate for good entertainment. Bakami seems to have heard...

"The Hotarugari. I hear you're going there soon?" Bakami confirms. "Sorry to impose, but as it happens I'd have something I'd like you to check on while you're there. Do you remember Tako Tsugumi? The Octopus Clan Champion? She's stopped over there to, ah, try to repair some of her Clan's reputation before the Winter Court. Shame about Takako-san..."

"Ah, anyway, she tells me that one of the Firefly's artisans is in trouble. Kato Hononori. He's the Clan Champion's nephew, I believe. He's also supposed to be helming some new ship the Firefly are bringing to the Winter Court, but for some fool reason he's challenged a Crane samurai to a duel. The Firefly tell me to mind my own business, of course, but if he gets himself killed they might not show up and I can't afford such a mess. The new parking arrangements alone..."

Bakami looks at the clock and smiles. "So, that's it. Long story short, please find out what is going on and make it stop before I get an ulcer. Any questions? How are you, by the way?"

. . .

Welcome back! Please post your stats here for quick reference. (Feel free to tweak your sheets first; if you change any of your fluff, post about it OOC.) Rolls can be done in #scorpionemperor and pasted here since we're all there anyway, or by rolling in Orokos if you'd rather (use the campaign name "Emerald Stars: Way of the Minor Clans".)

OOC thread is still here!

Ettin fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Bakami nods. "Resolve it how you like, as long as the Firefly and their ship get here. I know the Firefly well enough to know that if there's a problem with their ship, they'll leave some of their delegation behind to fix it, and the death of the helmsman who knows how it works sounds like a problem. The Alliance will survive without them, but they're one of our biggest financial backers. It will be tough. If you solve this dilemma I will back you myself, of course."

"Tsugumi-san is visiting them right now, so I'll tell her to get your sister. Oh, and I hear the Firefly make model ships from Mobile Suit Ō-yoroi. If you see any new ones, I'll pay you for them! ...It's for a friend."

. . .

Hotarugari 1, Kaiu Prime System
15th Day of the Rooster, 3122

The Hotarugari 1 rotates between the systems of the Crab and Unicorn who helped build it, spending about a year in each before moving on. At the moment, it's drifting near a gas giant at the edge of the Kaiu Prime system. The station is surrounded by a flotilla of ships: Crab guards, Firefly creations awaiting pickup, some of the Firefly's personal ships, damaged ships brought here for repairs or scrap, and even a few ronin ships.

You have the correct travel passes, so the Otokodate-maru is sent to the closest landing bay to your destination.

Shiro Kato, City Beneath The Stars, Hotarugari 1

The Firefly spend most of their lives in spaceships, so their ancestral home was built on land for a little variety. Shiro Kato towers over a coastal city near Hotarugari's edge, and most samurai you pass on your way up are taking their time to enjoy the view. There are courtiers sent by other Clans to maintain good relations, scientists trading knowledge, Firefly on unknown clan business, and a few samurai just here to relax before heading to their next destination. Most of the guards are from their allies, the Dog Clan. You hear what sounds like the mechanical clanking of service robots in a few places, but the Dog politely steer you away, and point you to the elevator leading to the Kato's court instead.

The Firefly court is a collection of lounges on the highest floors of the building, decorated by models or pieces of important ships in the Empire's history. Right now, the courtiers - Crab, Unicorn, Firefly, Mantis, and a selection from various Minor Clans - and several other potentially important NPCs are having a philosophical argument in one of the main halls. You're quietly ushered to some empty seats near the back, where Tsugumi is sitting with a Crow bushi.

Tako Tsugumi, Octopus Clan Champion

"Good timing," Tsugumi whispers. "We'll speak soon. I'd like to hear the rest of this, if you don't mind." She nods her head towards the Crab courtier wrapping up her argument.

quote:

Kaiu (Maisuna) Tachiko, Crab Courtier and AI Philosopher
Tachiko's profile marks her as a courtier who specializes in scientific debate, and a regular Firefly liaison. As a Crab she's a lot more blunt than most of her peers, who are more used to getting blank praise on message boards, but she seems nice enough. She doesn't have that bandage over her left eye in her profile, but eh, whatever.

"... so therefore, while Honesty is more important to an advanced AI for maintenance purposes, an AI in charge of a ship cannot also understand its role without Sincerity. Now—"

"Hold on," someone interrupts. "Who are these people?"

quote:

Kato Hononori, Kato Engineer
Here are the two kinds of notes on Hononori's profile: extremely bland Kato remarks about his remarkable engineering skill and past successful projects, and extremely sincere remarks complimenting everything about this guy except his personality. We are talking "the kind of samurai every daimyo would be glad to have in his engine room" sincere. Think about it.

Hononori doesn't get out any more character-establishing remarks before the big guy in the big Firefly chair next to him leans forward to chew him out.

quote:

Kato Tamagoo, Firefly Clan Champion
Tamagoo seems to be locally renowned for being compassionate to those under his charge, even ronin and heimin, but most of the notes left to your Clans by other visitors remark that he's also focused on getting wealth and status to the Firefly to a worrying degree. Some comments remark that he has "surprising compassion for those with talents to nurture", in a suspiciously passive-aggressive way. Hmm.

"Hononori-san!" Tamagoo scolds him in a voice that sounds like a slowly deflating balloon, or maybe an ancient leviathan with a lung problem. "Come, don't interrupt a fellow scientist like that! We're having a discussion here."

Hononori waves it off. "Sorry. I was just curious. She's pretty much done, anyway, this theory doesn't sound like it was thought out much further."

Tachiko smiles as Tamagoo pinches the bridge of his nose."Oh, don't worry, Tamagoo-sama. I am done, as it happens. I'm sure the court understands by now. Perhaps a short break while Tako-sama's friends get comfortable?" She winks at you.

"An excellent idea, I think," Tamagoo claps to make it so. "Then I have some economic matters to discuss. Yasuhiro?"

quote:

Kato Yasuhiro, Firefly Merchant Patron
Yasuhiro is marked as an honorable-seeming man who holds the honor of overseeing the purchase and trade of most of the Kato family's ship construction supplies. He seems to do his job quietly and with the minimum of fuss, except for the fact that most of the really sincere remarks on his coworker Hononori seem to come from him.

"Yes, my lord. I believe today's issues are a new request from the Salamander Clan, renegotiations with the Utaku, and the possible death of your nephew. Not in order of priority, of course," he adds sincerely.

. . .

Looks like you're free to talk to people! If there's something else you'd rather do, feel free.

Marumaru Kaihime is with Tako Tsugumi, and you can assume you've become more or less acquainted with the Octopus Clan Champion by now.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 5, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Once the debate ends and a Tortoise shows up, many samurai in the room decide to disappear into their own conversations and leave you to talk to these guys.

"Yes, a duel," Tamagoo tells Kei wearily. "A ship of Kakita artists has stopped here on the way to the Winter Court, you see, and—"

"We just had a disagreement," Hononori interrupts his daimyo. "I thought their ship wasn't as impressive as ours, and they were wrong."

Tachiko sits and smiles. "Remind me again who this was?"

Tamagoo sighs and calls their profile up on a suitably large holo-screen.

quote:

Kakita Komatsu mk.2
The duel tracking network Kettōhon lists Komatsu as a graduate of the Kakita Dueling Academy, with a win-loss-forfeit record of 106-0-1. Most of them are to first blood, but she's "permanently settled" her share of disputes. The forfeit seems to have been because she believed continuing would be dishonorable.

"Their guard," Tamagoo says. "Honestly, Hononori..."

Tsugumi raises an eyebrow. "A duel to the death over whose ship is nicer?"

Everyone else looks at Hononori, who shrugs. "We had a spirited argument."

"And you insulted her," Tamagoo says.

Hononori waves it off. "I merely asked how she could have been a good duelist if she needed half her body cyberized."

"She was defending her ship from pirates," Tamagoo valiantly avoids slapping his nephew. "A ten on one battle, the Kakita said. If one of my samurai performed such an act of heroism I'd want them to live too, Hononori."

"Yes, well," Hononori shrugs. "I heard that afterward."

"Ah," Tachiko hides her continued smile behind a fan. "Let me guess. This is when you offered one of your famous apologies, and she challenged you to a duel for some strange reason."

"Yes. I'm sorry she's offended, but she doesn't look like a duelist, does she? She looks like an art project. Besides, none of the cyborgs I know are built for combat. Anyway, yes, some other things were said and she overreacted. But don't worry, I'm sure Uncle can arrange something."

"Don't get excited," Tamagoo says. "Any luck on your end, Yasuhiro-san?"

The merchant patron checks his pocket scroll. "Well, let's see. There's Kozue-san, of course. Everyone else is either busy preparing for the Winter Court or has suddenly fallen ill, it seems. I could have some other candidates before the duel tomorrow, but I think you might have to accept what's happening, my lord."

"Absolutely not," Tachiko says. "Did you all forget our betrothal? We had a deal. A very profitable one, too. He's not worth anything dead and I don't know if we'll take a dishonored engineer either. You should call it off."

Tamagoo frowns. "Is there any way we could change the terms? A duel to first blood would be perfect. Hononori needs to learn a lesson, I think."

"What lesson?" Hononori says. "It'll be fine! I have a Carp second now. We're close with the Carp, right? Problem solved. Can I go now?"

. . .

Kohaku Ageshige>> That is a terrible idea. I say go for it.
Kohaku Ageshige>> By the way, if you're with the Firefly, avoid the daimyo's fool nephew. You'll thank me later.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 6, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

An excellent roll! With that 54 the Firefly Clan will definitely make Kozue their choice, and the three members you've met will focus on other matters.

"It should be fine, Misuko-san," Tachiko starts ingratiating herself to the Ibis pop idol. "Damaging the cyber counts as first blood. Besides, she still has parts that bleed. Aim for the face, I think."

Tamagoo sits back in awe at Kozue's sincerity, and looks over at Yasuhiro. "Unless you've got the Fortune of Blades on the line Kozue-san will be his second, I think."

Yasuhiro checks his pocket scroll. "Well, there's Tsi Yoshihiro. You know, the Tsi smith who had an accident in the lab and thinks he's Goemon now?"

"..." Tamagoo bows. "Kozue-san, we would be honored to have you as our champion."

Hononori nods and heads for the doors. "In that case, I'm going to check on our ronin employees and take a nap. I'll come back when the Luck of the Mountains is ready to go."

Tachiko snaps her fan over her face and heads for a different exit. "Suit yourselves. We'll talk after the duel. Hopefully not about your loss."

Tamagoo nods and turns to the rest of you. "If you want to inform them, I believe they've been exploring the market district since they got here. Just look for the Crane. There aren't that many. Their ship is the Kakita's Fan if it's not Komatsu-san you want to talk to. I think it's near your landing bay."

. . .

So, that's the situation! You have the rest of the day to do your research, talk to people and make maneuvers, if you're planning to influence the outcome of this duel. Ask OOC if you don't have any ideas! If you'd rather not interfere in the duel, feel free to look for something else to do. There are plenty of Clans on this habitat who could use a helping hand.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 8, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

I'll post Kaihime's first, then Misuko. Feel free to follow one of them or do your own thing.

Kaihime:

Market District, City Beneath The Stars

The Market District is pretty much what you expected: a mess of stalls and storefronts set up by merchants from all across the nearby systems. Many of the stalls are transient, setting up only until the Hotarugari moves to a new system, so there are some big empty spaces on the district's fringes.

There are a few Kakita around, accompanied by guards to make sure they get to the Winter Court safely. Komatsu is taking a break, and Kaihime finds her sampling the local food.

Kakita Komatsu, Cyber-Duelist

You can tell Komatsu was fitted by Crane cyberneticists, because they treat their work as a form of art. They probably made her wardrobe match, too. Her laser radiant sword is sheathed on her back at the moment, but the Minor Clan samurai and ronin in the area are carefully avoiding her anyway.

Right now she's sitting outside a Unicorn sweet cafe, looking at a mug of hot chocolate with marshmallows and a slice of cake like she isn't sure it's not going to attack her. As Kaihime watches, she lowers her visor and allows herself a sip.

"Hm."

Misuko:

Outer Balcony, Shiro Kato

Tachiko likes coming out here to enjoy the view, and she's down with Misuko joining her. (She tries not to look too excited to meet a Minor Clan samurai.)

"Oh, of course! But I wouldn't worry about AI, Misuko-san. People have many good qualities that distinguish them from AI." She glances back at the court. "Most people."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Komatsu, Market District (Kaihime, Kozue)

Komatsu glances at you to check your mon as she cuts herself a slice of cake. Her voice has a sort of electronic backing to it, but whoever repaired her took the time to give it some pleasing harmonics.

"Yes, that is me. Kakita Komatsu. Are you a friend of his?" She pauses. "I should say, are you here to plead his case?"

Spicy Food, Market District (Risuta)

Risuta can find a place that sells sake and spicy food nearby. It's just out of sight of Kaihime and Kozue, though.

On the upside, he spies two Kakita in the outdoor seating area: a woman eating a hot bowl of curry rice and chicken katsu, and a man nursing a green tea milkshake and a soup curry with an expression that suggests he didn't choose this restaurant. A holo-projector on the table is displaying some kind of model ship surrounded by numbers. Risuta can't hear what they're talking about without getting closer, but he can definitely see a Firefly mon over the ship.

He might be able to eavesdrop if he's careful.

Tamagoo, Shiro Kato (Kei)

Tamagoo prefers to spend his free time wandering through Shiro Kato's workshops and labs, checking up on things. Sometimes he calls a samurai over to discuss something, sometimes a samurai approaches him with a problem and they spend a few moments poring over figures. Kei finally gets her moment when Tamagoo stops on a balcony overlooking a room full of samurai poring over screens, Δv maps, and star chart holograms.

"Ah, the Tortoise!" Tamagoo is put off by the act, but seems okay with the Tortoise being here in general. "A big mess, isn't it? Two weeks out from the Winter Court, too."

Tamagoo leans on the balcony. "Only seen Komatsu, since the challenge. I'll go talk to the Kakita tonight. They were here on a tour when they ran into Hononori and, well, words were said. They were talking to him about the Luck of the Mountains. That's the ship we were taking to Winter Court. Could have won some impressive contracts with a display like that. The Hotaru worked on the outside, it's stunning."

"...Maybe a little too stunning. Apparently they thought we made their ship look bad!" Tamagoo laughs. "But theirs has a certain elegance I doubt we can match. Pity they said that to Hononori instead of me. He never was good at grasping Courtesy, poor boy."

"Now we're stuck with this mess. If we make an enemy of the Kakita at the Court, we won't get contracts. 'Course, if Hononori dies, I lose a nephew. Taking the ship could be a challenge, too. We think it's bad luck to fly a ship you're not familiar with. Hononori's team understands it, of course, but they're ronin. Wouldn't be impressive if we flew in with them at the helm, yeah?"

"Then there's the deal... well, long story short, Hononori and Tachiko are to be wed. They're offering a big dowry for his expertise, and with the stronger ties to the Crab we should be able to marry a few Kaiu into the family. It'll pay off well for us, in the long run. But our dowry is some of our research and I'd rather not have the Kaiu up the price, if you know what I mean."

Outer Balcony, Shiro Kato

Tachiko laughs. "Ha! Don't worry, I don't mind. But yes, I'm the bride. It's not a bad deal, really. I'm not interested in marriage, so marrying a samurai who'll spend all his time in the lab sounds like a good deal, right? Besides, I've known him for years. We're... acquaintances. Sometimes I'm not sure Hononori knows what a friend is. I think Tamagoo-sama is hoping the Crab will slap some sense into him, to be honest."

Tachiko rubs her bandaged eye and looks out over the city. "If it even happens. If the Kaiu realise just how much of a hassle Hononori can be... they'll probably call it off. I think Tamagoo-sama would rather that than renegotiate the dowry anyway."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Komatsu puts her fork down. "So you have met him! Then you should know why I'm punishing him. Even Firefly seem to think I'm doing him a favour. I'm surprised Tamagoo-sama doesn't keep him on a leash."

She picks up another mouthful of cake and looks you over. "Do you think an apology would be sincere? I feel like it would be letting him off lightly. But if you've got a proposal, I'm listening..."

If Kaihime can pitch an idea that includes disciplining Hononori, Komatsu is all ears!

Risuta is able to eavesdrop on their conversation. He's also able to ID them: the man is Kakita Dengakuhazama, a courtier and art historian, and the woman is the master keyboard player Kakita Nō.

Dengakuhazama is talking when Risuta leans in. "... shame if we missed this opportunity, don't you think?"

Nō swallows another spoonful of curry rice. She ordered the hottest thing they had. Her breath might be deadly now. "Hazama-san, you're too focused on the short term. So what if the Firefly have a nice ship? It would be better in the long run to seek the blueprints, not cancel their project."

The man with the long name holds a tissue to his face. Just being near Nō's meal is making his nose runny. "You're too focused on the long term, Nō-san. We must make the best first impression to maximise our gains from the Winter Court. The Luck of the Mountains cannot fly."

Nō grins. "Oh? And how do you plan to accomplish that? Talk it to death?"

"You underestimate me, Nō-san. Komatsu's duel is very convenient. Once she wins, I will talk the Firefly Champion into doing something about it in exchange for my favour during the Winter Court."

"Hmph! And our shipwrights will still be behind the Firefly. What will your schemes do about that? If they shared their research with us instead of the Crab, we could match their advances. That would be far more advantageous. Mad advantageous."

"Well, I'm just carrying out my orders Nō-san," Dengakuhazama says. "I wasn't told to arrange a research agreement."

"Then you need more initiative! Surely your Firefly contact can help."

"Well, if you'd like to try, I can put you in touch."

Dengakuhazama thumbs at his pocket scribe under the table to send her the details.

"Alright. Then if you don't mind, I'll pay them a visit tonight."

Tamagoo smiles.

"I hired the ronin, Kei-sama. I nurture talent anywhere I can find it, and these ronin are very talented. I wouldn't mind introducing you, just perhaps not at Winter Court. They're... well, you'd understand if you met them."

"Hononori's talented too... but he's got lessons to learn yet. I'd like him to learn one here, but not a deadly one. Ideally without being indebted to the Crane. I'm sure there's a way, I just need to think of it..."

Tamagoo wants Hononori to live and learn to be courteous. He has no idea if this is possible or how to do it.

Outer Balcony, Shiro Kato (Misuko)

Tachiko beams. "Why thank you, Misuko-san. Oh, do you have any other questions about AI? Because I was about to get something to eat. I don't have much to do today unless the shop finishes with my eye early."

If Misuko wants to ask Tachiko anything else - or better yet, use her as an excuse to get anywhere - now is a good time!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

"His mouth?" Komatsu's raised eyebrow has probably ended duels before. "Just kidding. The Luck of the Mountains, was it?"

The Kakita has another slice of cake and thinks it over.

"Well, I would still like to grind my heel into him, but I suppose I could be satisfied with another arrangement. I believe the Firefly daimyo is hosting the Kakita for dinner at Shiro Kato tonight. We can settle the details there. Don't bring Hononori."

You're off the hook for now, probably!

. . .

The rest of the meeting is pretty plain: Nō and Dengakuhazama bicker a little, decide to go "sightseeing, or whatever they're calling it these days" until the Kakita visit the Firefly for dinner at Shiro Kato, and eventually leave. Risuta isn't caught!

That's pretty much all the information they had at this meeting! Risuta is free to do something else or go consult with the others now (and you can talk OOC if you want to plan something). If you don't have anything better to do you can always tail one of the Kakita.

. . .

Tamagoo laughs a little.

"Hah! Very well. They should be in the Golden Throne—er, the engineering deck below Shiro Kato. It's where we make engine parts, mostly. The ronin should be down there. Ask around for the Void Drifters. The short man with the head like an asteroid and the wide visor is their leader Inseki."

And so...

Golden Throne [Firefly Engineering Prime Base, Sub-Level 10], Shiro Kato

The Firefly's main ship engine facility is packed. It seems like every stretch of corridor has had something packed into it, even if it's just a little break room or a vending machine or a spare computer terminal. This is one of the last sub-levels populated mostly by samurai instead of heimin, so it figures the ronin would make their home here.

Most of the people here are Hotaru researchers, but they gladly direct Kei to the bay the Void Drifters supposedly work out of. When Kei gets there it looks a little like an exploded robotics facility, all half-finished engines and loose cables tended to by a bunch of clanky old robots—

No, wait.

The Void Drifters (ft. Inseki the Ronin)

Machinery making quiet humming or clanking noises isn't that uncommon, especially in a place like this. Hearing it coming from the space where a samurai's head should be is a little weird, though.

The Void Drifters all look like some dickhead kami cut random parts off them and picked replacement cybernetics out of a lucky dip bag, but none of them seem to mind. Even the ones audibly breathing through a mechanical pump carry themselves with a quiet grace, like everything is going according to plan. Inseki (third from the right) doesn't seem to make a noise, but he was definitely broadcasting electropop through the room before Kei showed up.

Inseki's also the one who greets Kei. His voice has a sort of electronic backing to it, but whoever built him the time to give it some pleasing harmonics. "Hello there. How can we help you?"

. . .

Meiko Ampitheater, City Beneath The Stars (Misuko)

So, the place Misuko is singing is pretty cool.

"...It was named after the Toritaka who first sang here," Tachiko is telling you as you wander through. "The design's mostly Kaiu. The place is already big, but the architecture is designed to make it look even bigger. I think it's usually used by the governor here for—"

Tachiko trails off and looks around.

"Hmm. I think someone's here, but I can't—aha!"

The lady who was hanging out on top of the architecture slides down to the ground in front of you and bows in the same movement. She dresses like a ronin, but she's wearing the symbol of the Bat Clan.

Komori Kikazaru, Bat Journalist

"Hello, Kaiu-san, Toki-san," the woman's weird high-tech hood thing swivels up and down her head as she straightens up. "Komori Kikazaru. I'm a journalist for the Yumeji News Network. Forgive me if I startled you, I was just looking around."

Dang, she talks quick. "Ah, but if you don't mind the intrusion, I'd be honored if I could ask some questions..."

Ettin fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 20, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

I'm going to go ahead and say you track down Tamagoo while the other two wrap up, then!

Shiro Kato (Kaihime, Kozue, Risuta(?))

Court has ended for the day, but Tamagoo is back there when you find him. He's using the court's holo capabilities to pore over a packed timetable that covers his days before the Winter Court (so, all the boring days).

"Ah, welcome back! You look like people who have been up to something. It went well, I hope?"

. . .

Golden Throne, Shiro Kato (Kei)

A good roll!

Inseki bows again. "Straight to business! I like that."

He leans back on an empty chassis with a clonk sound and scratches his "nose" while he thinks. The other ronin glance at him. They're obviously communicating, but they reach a decision quickly.

"Hmm, Hononori... Interesting man. Mechanical genius, emotional not so much. He doesn't get courtesy, but everyone's too courteous to tell him. Such is samurai life." Inseki pauses. "We mostly talk about machines, engines, vectors. Besides that..."

"His scanners," a ronin lady with a breathing mask says.

Inseki nods. "Yes. You ever met a man who has been to space? I mean really been to space. Outside the comfort of a spaceship. One with the Void. That can change you." He raps a knuckle on his head wryly. "Hononori's fascinated with a lot of old space myths. Space dragons, hidden alien ships, giant space kami. I heard he's been that way since he was little. Poor man doesn't get that it's just beautiful Void out there."

"He even installed some extra scanners on the ship. Doubt they'll pick up any giant space kami, but they'll try. I don't think his uncle knows. It'd get him some glory if he were just trying to improve the scanners and not discover space dragons, but it's a harmless hobby. We're planning to just tell people they're experiments."

Inseki reveals Hononori's main drawbacks: Failure of Bushido (Courtesy) and Fascination (Space Myths).

. . .

Meiko Ampitheater, City Beneath The Stars (Misuko)

"Hello, Zaru-san," Tachiko gives her an extremely insincere smile and winks at Misuko. "Oh, Misuko-san, the proper answer to everything is "No comment"."

Kikazaru presses forward anyway. "Thank you so much, Toki-san. Ah, right now I'm curious to know what you think of the Hotarugari so far. Are you enjoying it? Are you visiting anywhere else while you're here? Anything you're looking forward to seeing?"

Now she's half-asking, half thinking aloud. "What entertainment does an Ibis performer seek, anyway? There's a ship race in Mute Village tomorrow, a duel between a Crane and a Carp tomorrow, a movie premiere..."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Tamagoo sits back in relief. "Just a talk, is it? I'm fine with that. The Luck of the Mountains, now..."

The Firefly Champion rubs his chin in thought for a while.

"We might have to, I think. A duel record like that usually means her superiors have enough trust in her skill to force her into solving their disputes all the time. Handing over the Luck is our safest way out of this."

Gears start to turn in his head. "Relationships with other Clans can be tricky. Besides the Crab and Unicorn, our main project is something for the Ikoma. The Bards have some needs the Lion aren't equipped to handle. Oh, and the Phoenix want a smaller colony ship, but that's still in the planning stages. The Lion and Crab make two Clans the Crane don't like, so they don't do much business with us unless one of them wants a custom ship."

"But... if we gave them the Luck, they'd essentially be getting a fancy gift during Winter Court. Perfect time to seal a new contract, especially once they get a look at our latest work."

Tamagoo's thoughts fill with koku until he remembers you're still here. "Very well, I accept! Let's discuss it over dinner. You're invited, of course."

Gonna go ahead and jump to your planned encounter, where nothing can possibly go wrong!

. . .

Kikazaru happily chats about local events, but excuses herself a little swifter than normal once she starts to notice Tachiko hovering around like an impatient shark. "Thank you so much, Toki-san! Please don't hesitate to message me if you need anything. My inbox is always open."

Kikazaru bows, then hoists herself up a wall and bounds away with the ease of someone who was raised in a space station and doesn't eat much.

"Hmm," Tachiko says once she's gone. "Kikazaru means well, but she likes turning rumours into scoops. I don't think your duel is public. Someone's talked to her."

. . .

Shiro Kato, That Night

The dinner happens a few hours later.

You're ushered into an excellent dining hall with a fantastic view, and placed close enough to the Firefly and the Crane to weigh in if an argument starts. There are two empty seats in the way. Tachiko is quietly placed behind you, in case the Crab and Crane burst into flames when they get too close.

The Kakita show up fashionably late. Nō the keyboardist doesn't show up at all, which is a shame, because that means Dengakuhazama is the main courtier here and that name is way too long. He's a tall, thin man with the frame and clothes of someone who came in a plastic display box and the face of someone who had someone teach him to smile. Komatsu follows him with slightly less elegance and takes her seat wordlessly.

"Good evening, Kato-sama," Dengakuhazama bows and takes a seat.

"Good evening," Komatsu's eyes flick towards the empty seats. "Are we waiting on someone?"

"Oh, don't worry," Tamagoo says. "They're for the Octopus and Oriole Clan Champions. I'm sure they'll be here any minute now."

Komatsu tries not to look too relieved. "Very well. Then—"

Dengakuhazama cuts her off. "Then I hear you have an interesting offer for us? At least, that's what I hear from Komatsu's friends here."

Komatsu smiles at you, possibly because she is imagining kicking the Kakita courtier in the groin.

If you like, you can be elsewhere; nobody will mind if you would rather hassle somebody who isn't here. Either way, I'll let you get a Post in first.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 19, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

For a Clan Champion of a Clan that deals in prophecies and guidance, Tako Tsugumi is bad at directions. In fact, she's bad at directions for a regular samurai. Her yojimbo Takako used to handle that for her, and now that he's dead Tsugumi is in trouble. She's got plenty of guards and assistants, but she outranks them by a lot and so far all of them have been too polite to say anything.

[Thank you, Kaihime-san. Here is my location.] Tsugumi replies with a picture of the dining hall on the wrong floor she's wandered into.

. . .

Tamagoo nods to Kozue. "If you see Yasuhiro, can you tell him to get over here? We'll probably need him. Don't go out of your way, he'll show up on his own eventually. If Tsi-san's here he's probably gone to ingratiate himself."

"Some Oriole entered shortly after us," Dengaku says. "I gathered they were held up by personal business. Champion Tsi-san did not seem in a good mood."

"That's not unusual," Tamagoo says. "I hope she's not lost."

Komatsu pipes up. "I believe they decided to tour the gardens."

"Ah, the gardens?" Tamagoo says idly. "They're lovely, if I do say so myself. I sent Hononori there to relax and reflect."

The samurai are just making idle banter, so it takes a few seconds. Komatsu is the first to raise her eyebrows.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kato Gardens [Kozue, Risuta]

The Firefly's gardens are alright. The designer was saddled with adding a bunch of fireflies to the place, because of course they were, which means much of the gardens are a little too wet to be observed up close. The view is pretty good, at least.

It doesn't take long to find Hononori. He is the dude being lifted into the air by strange magic tendrils.

Tsi Ping, Tsi Clan Champion

Ping was trained by the Murakomo, the Oriole Clan's shugenja school. The Murakomo are tasked with using magic to craft the kind of overpowered swords important samurai get—ripping metals from the heart of collapsed stars and using magic to make them light enough to wield, for example. You're not sure what part of her training lets Ping throw around what looks like a storm of purple energy feathers when she's mad, but you hear it happens a lot.

"Let me ask again," Ping says as Hononori floats a little closer to the ceiling. "What did you say about the Murakomo?"

"All I said was—"

"Sorry, just to be clear, I am the Tsi Daimyo and I am quite capable of tossing you into the lake. You were saying?"

"I'm just saying—"

"Are you just saying the same thing again or does it merely sound like that?"

"I'm not really sure what you want me to say!"

Ping pinches the bridge of her nose and waves her fan. Hononori floats a little closer to the lake. "Nnngh..."

Alright! What's your plan to convince a Minor Clan Champion with the Brash disadvantage to not drown Hononori in a lake?

. . .

The Wrong Hall [Kaihime]

Tsugumi is close, just four floors too low. This dining hall is completely empty, save for her and a cyber-ronin who looks like someone stuck an asteroid over his head. He's currently trying in vain to give her directions; when Kaihime enters, she's finally got her holo-map the right way up.

Tsugumi looks up just before Kaihime enters. It's an Octopus thing. "Ah, Kaihime-san! Hello! Have you met Inseki?"

"Hello," Inseki says. "Don't mind me. I'm just keeping an eye on this floor. There's a delicate meeting going on a few doors down that's not to be interrupted. Not yours, I'm afraid."

"The ronin guards were rather confusing," Tsugumi explains. "Though I suppose the Kato would post their own samurai if it were important..."

"Yes," Inseki doesn't shoo you because everyone in the room outranks him. "I hope you find the meeting you're looking for."

. . .

The Actual Meeting [Kei, Misuko]

Komatsu nods to Tamagoo. "Here's how I understand it. The Firefly present the Luck of the Mountains as a gift to the Crane during the Winter Court, Hononori submits an apology in writing and I don't have to sully my blade with his—"

"The Luck of the Mountains, eh?" Tamagoo was practicing this bit. "Well... given the alternative, we have no choice, I think. If those terms are acceptable to you..."

"Perhaps," Dengaku says. "Could you not... present this ship before the Court?"

Tamagoo almost drops his tea.

Komatsu turns to Dengaku and forgets to lower her voice when she hisses. "You were fine with this earlier, Dengakuhazama-san!"

"Perhaps." Dengaku sips his tea. "But this benefits the Firefly too, yes? They get a chance to seal a contract with us during Winter Court. That's an opportunity, not an apology."

Komatsu narrows her eyes. "It would be a mess! This deal is more than favorable!"

"I'm sorry, Komatsu-san, but am I the negotiator here or not? You should just worry about the duels."

"I am! This is my duel and I say we should just take the offer."

"Your opinion has been taken on board," Dengaku says in a voice that suggests it's been put in the brig, "but I am your superior, and as this duel concerns the ship—"

"With all due respect, sir," Komatsu is definitely thinking about stepping on his face, "I don't remember you ordering me to challenge. Duels are an art form, not a political chip!"

"I... well, that may be true, but I am still your superior! Would you like me an order now?!"

The voices are getting louder and louder. Tachiko quietly pulls a bag of rice crackers out and tosses a few in her mouth before offering it to Kohansuki. "Want one?"

The deal is getting derailed by... Crane infighting?? What do you do?

Ettin fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 20, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

I kinda like that response, so:

Ping turns her head until she's looking at the newcomers.

"It was... oh, forget it." With a snap of her fan, Hononori is released. She could have lowered him to the ground first, but his tumble into the bushes doesn't do any real damage and seems to amuse Ping anyway. Depending on your point of view, it works out.

Ping bows. "Hello. A Hare and a Carp, hmm? Are you enjoying like the gardens? Or did you need to talk to this man?"

Hononori hasn't fled yet. Why is he still here, what is wrong with him

. . .

The Wrong Hall [Kaihime]

Inseki might have a head shaped like an unfortunate lemon, but he can do subtle.

"I would be honored as well, Marumaru-san. If there's anything you need, the ronin of Shiro Kato are here for you."

"Soon, anyway. We're a little busy. The Kato are meeting with the Crane here, actually. Right over - there." Inseki points with a thumb towards a room down the corridor he's been trying to discourage Tsugumi from going down. Kaihime is pretty sure there are other paths in...

. . .

The Actual Meeting [Kei, Misuko]

Dengaku stares at Misuko for a while, then at the others. Not even Komatsu seems to agree with him on this one.

He sure slides into a new stance quick. With only an adjustment of his kimono, the Crane seems to go from trying to twist Tamagoo's arm to agreement so smoothly it almost seems like that was his plan all along. "Ah, of course. This is of course all a hypothetical."

"Sure," Tamagoo says.

"Would you mind delivering that apology before we leave? We'll be here another day. Our next stop is the Winter Court, so..."

"Of course, of course!" Tamagoo smiles and has a servant offer some tea. "Now, how shall we present the ship? I assume you can arrange staff to pilot it on your own, of course, but there are certain unique..."

The two get drawn into the technical details for a few minutes. While they're distracted, Komtasu gives Misuko and Kei a curt nod. Is that a smile...?

Looks like you sealed the deal! Anything else you wanted to get out of this dinner?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Hope you don't mind if I skip calling for rolls! We're nearing the end of this adventure, which is good because the Court is next. :getin:

Ping tilts her head and nods. Her temper is famous, but she seems to defuse fast if something unexpected happens. Like Kozue.

"Fine, fine. But this man stays. The Crane swanning around here with their cybernetic art project are bad enough."

Defused!

. . .

The Wrong Hall [Kaihime]

There are more ronin on the way. They do a pretty good job of seeming to guard the area without actually getting in your way.

Soon, Kaihime finds herself peering through a slightly open door into a viewing room. It's a nice spartan affair, with a huge window looking out across the Hotarugari and a few couches facing it. Kaihime can make out two people: , the other Crane, and... Yasuhiro, the other Firefly you met in court.

Yasuhiro is talking. "...nothing I can do to change your mind?"

"I'm afraid not." Nō fans herself. "Komatsu-chan barely tolerates our duel requests as is. It's not worth the risk."

"Ah, well." Yasuhiro sits back. "Shame. The deal is off, of course."

Nō chuckles. "I'd say you'll have to find another way to get rid of your problem, but you seem quite calm."

Yasuhiro nods. "I've asked the esteemed Tsi Ping to assist the Clan in this delicate matter."

"Ah! You've explained the situation to her?"

Yasuhiro smiles. "No."

Tsugumi looks disapproving.

Want to do anything or just slink away?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Will try to handle Gorbash quickly! :toot:

The Wrong Hall [Kaihime]

Yasuhiro jumps up. He's clearly better with numbers than surprises.

"What the h—oh, my apologies." The man bows. "Tako-sama, Marumaru-san. What brings you here? Are you lost?"

Tsugumi smiles. "A monk I knew called it wu wei. Action without action. I think I'm doing it wrong."

Nō has is already standing. "Ah, more honored guests. What brings you here? Ah, but is this business I should concern myself with?"

The Kakita is going to get the gently caress out of Dodge if you let her.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

The Wrong Hall [Kaihime]

Yasuhiro opens and closes his mouth a few times, then bites his tongue.

"... Fine. As you wish."

Tsugumi smiles as the Firefly sulks out of the room. "I think that went well, don't you?"

. . .

Alright, seems like a good time to move on!

The Meeting [Everyone]

Everyone trickles back to the meeting after that. It goes well enough—the Crane and Firefly chat, Tachiko mostly chats with you, Tako Tsugumi chats with you and occasionally interrupts the others to say something vague about the future, Tsi Ping enters late and almost immediately gets into a blistering argument with Dengaku that both sides seem to find cathartic. After a while the others start to leave the two to their argument and sneak out of the room.

You meet up with Tamagoo and Tachiko on a balcony in a nearby corridor. Tamagoo exhales happily.

"Well, it looks like it all worked out."

Tachiko smiles and leans back on the balcony. "For now. I suppose I should be thanking your new friends here for saving my marriage."

She doesn't seem totally serious, thank the gods.

. . .

We're close to wrapping this planet's adventure, so if there's any business you'd like to conclude before you leave the Hotarugari let me know! This is also your last chance to talk to Tachiko, Komatsu, the Void Drifters, etc. They're all probably nearby!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kaihime

Inseki smiles and nods. "We're always available. Actually, we're free to go anywhere we want. Not a lot of folk understand this though." Inseki taps whatever the hell the cyborg junk on his head is. "Or the Void, I suppose. But mostly this."

Misuko

Tachiko smiles and nods. "Oh, and let me know if you have any, you know, AI problems."

. . .

We'll be moving on soon! Just a heads up, there's a post in the OOC thread about some stuff I want to sort out first.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alright! Let's talk rewards. First up: +30 XP, another +0.5 Honor for defending the interests of the Minor Clan Alliance, and +0.2 Glory for fulfilling a mission for Toku Bakami. You also have two new contacts: the Void Drifters, who look weird but solve tech problems, Kaiu Tachiko, Crab courtier and AI philosopher. You can also call in a favor from the Firefly Clan at the Winter Court, if you like. Speaking of, you have invitations to the Winter Court.

Also, Tako Tsugumi is probably going to call you for assistance later, and you're free to assume that you spend some pre-Winter Court time helping the Minor Clan Champion deal with her sense of direction. For now, you have the seer's ear.

Now then...

. . .

Palace of the Small Forest, City of the Smiling Tortoise, World of Dreams
1st Day of the Dog, 3122

Life on the World of Dreams has been surprisingly smooth for the last week or so. The Winter Court announcement may have been a surprise, but it almost seems like the Alliance have been planning for years. With their help (and yours) Bakami has deftly avoided major problems and hidden the three million minor ones well enough that you can hardly tell.

She also set you up with Winter Court invitations! Officially, you were chosen because you're magistrates and a fine example of how the Minor Clans can work together; you're probably also going to be asked to represent your Clan at some point if you're any good at political maneuvering. Hopefully not for a while. It's the morning of the first day, and Court hasn't even started yet.

Bakami asked you to swing by her office before the event starts. When you show up, the Toku is standing in the middle of a small tornado of tailors and other servants trying to get things just right. She doesn't look ready yet; her cybernetic arm is missing, and instead she's wearing her kimono off the shoulder with a cloth draped over it. The rest looks great though.

"Ah! There you are," she says. "Good morning! Sorry about the mess, we're making some last-minute changes. The adviser here asked to see you."

Bakami waves her arm at a tall woman with a scouter who has been waiting inconspicuously by the window, outside the fashion tornado's blast radius. She nods and steps forward.

Marumaru Kokoro, Minor Clan Alliance Diplomat

"Good morning. My name is Marumaru Kokoro. I am here to advise and assist the samurai of the Minor Clans through the Winter Court."

Bakami grins. "The Alliance sent her. Don't worry, she's nice. Doji-trained, you know."

Kokoro ignores that. "Please let me know if you need anything. I am knowledgeable in courtly matters, and I can acquire items from the Alliance if there is anything you need. For example, I can supply new electronics if you wish to avoid taking your personal devices into the Court, or if you suspect they have been hacked."

"Thank you, Marumaru-san," the Monkey says, "but really, it's the first day. Let them enjoy themselves!"

Kokoro is unfazed. "A little care goes a long way, Toku-sama. I am merely here to help. Speaking of, would you like me to see if your arm is ready yet?"

"Sure, I could use a hand."

"Toku-sama," Kokoro says.

Bakami's cheeks inflate.

"Toku-sama, please," Kokoro says.

Bakami can't hold it in any more and bursts into laughter.

Kokoro politely turns away from the Monkey and towards you. "Is there anything you wish to know? I have several other delegations to attend to."

. . .

Alright! Feel free to update your sheets, ask questions, or just post about what you've been doing this last week. Additionally, Kaihime may establish a pre-existing relationship with Kokoro if she likes.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kokoro takes all this in, then takes a breath and gets to work. She has a very precise memory, it seems.

"Your kimono is very nice, Kohaku-san. It will be fine. Today's food will be old-fashioned traditional Rokugan fare, but there will be a feast tonight that showcases some new foods from the frontier worlds. Oh, and the Crab have brought a lot of sake for some reason, so if that is your "thing" I would try striking a conversation with them."

"As for security... samurai from many Minor Clans are participating, but I believe most of our guards are from the Bear—"

"Bee," Bakami says. Some servants have brought her a long wooden box to inspect.

"—the Bee, Dog, Hare, and Monkey. The Dog are commanding. The other Clans and the Emperor have their own private guards, of course."

"And Misuko-san, I am afraid that is still being worked on. We haven't heard a solid answer from the Chancellor. I'm optimistic, but if you would like to speed it up, I advise speaking to them."

Kokoro gives Kaihime a bow. "Hello again, Kaihime-chan. I look forward to working with you."

"And some would say your dress is very cute, Kei-san."

There's a quiet sound as Bakami's new arm starts up. This one is a sleek affair with a smooth white casing; it still has a jade core set in the back of her hand, but this arm is definitely designed for the courts instead of making Bakami look like she can punch a hole in a wall.

"Okay, that's enough! We're all ready and the opening ceremony is soon. Thank you for the assistance. Now let's go!"

Bakami bows and starts escorting you out of her office.

It's time for Winter Court! Everything specifically tagged Winter Court in my posts will be official Court business. Most Winter Court posts will describe events happening over a longer period of time and then ask you to post reactions, make rolls, or add details. We can zoom in and roleplay out anything you deem appropriate! Emerald Stars will be used for events happening outside court hours, or for things that happen during court but aren't official business.

This post is going to be larger than most, since it is the opening ceremony. Take your time!

THE OPENING CEREMONY

Alliance Concourse

Delegations from the various Clans have been arriving over the last week, and even the fashionably late have arrived. (If you were watching the skies, you'd know that the arrival of the Firefly and Kakita's delegations both prompted approving nods from the samurai who were watching.) By now, everyone's settled in. A little impatient, even. There's already a crowd forming when you gather in the Concourse.

This is the Palace's main hall and the primary public entry to the Winter Court. It's lined with commemorations to the Empire's history, particularly the accomplishments of the Minor Clans. You've seen a few before (like the statue remembering the dead Moth Clan, or the model of the ship that got Utaku Kato his own Minor Clan), but the Alliance has brought many more in and even Bakami is stopping to coo over some of them. At least you'll have something to look at while you wait.

The crowd is mostly Great Clan samurai, as expected, but the Minor Clan Alliance is filling up a lot more space than usual. Some of them have fielded very small delegations or asked others to represent them in their stead—particularly the Dragonfly and Tortoise Clans, who usually represent them at Court anyway—but even then they're almost a third the size of the Great Clans. Several Minor Clan Champions have appeared in person to witness this event. There are even more ronin than usual, judging from some of the whispers you hear from uncomfortable Great Clan samurai. Who invited them is a mystery, at least for now.

Finally, a chime sounds. The Seppun guards blocking the entrance to the main court step aside, and the massive doors swing open to let you in.

. . .

Main Court Chamber

You're ushered onto the ground floor of the chambers. This space is massive, with a sweeping expanse of polished black and white floor and a balcony ringing the walls. High above, the window set into the ceiling has been tinted and a simple hologrammatic star map of the Empire (with Rokugan in the center, of course) looks down at you. The balconies are lined with Clan banners. Tables can be found along the edges of the room, and each has a small art piece from a different Minor Clan set into in the middle. Bonsai trees and ikebana arrangements worked into the shape of Clan animals have been placed as decoration. Musicians placed in discreet locations provide relaxing music. It's an amazing effort, but you'll fully appreciate it later—right now, the Dais is looming.

The Dais, where the Emperor sits, rises like a stepped pyramid in front of the Imperial Banner. Each step on this intricately-wrought monument of wood and metal serves a purpose, from the lowest tier for scribes and functionaries to the highest tier where the Emperor watches from his throne. Right now they're all full of functionaries arranging pillows and chairs, but they're already melting away into the background as you step in. Behind the Dais, another set of massive doors are guarded by a line of Seppun guardsman. The experienced courtiers keep their eye on it, as the Emperor could arrive any minute.

It takes twenty minutes for anyone to show up. Until then, you're free to mingle. Some samurai converse with their friends and plan with their Clans, while others take a gamble and make introductions early. Guests who aren't comfortable with diplomacy lurk at the edges. You sometimes see figures on the balconies above, but they're closed off to you for now.

Then ceremonial bells sound throughout the Court. Conversation ceases. A group of Seppun priests enter with smoldering incense. As they approach the altar at the base of the Dais, the doors behind it open. The Emperor's Chosen enter, led by the Voice of the Emperor. After they ascend the Dais and take their seats, the Emperor follows.

Iweko Sumeragi, Emperor Iweko CXII

The Emperor (looking pretty good for someone who's been on the throne for eighty-four years, surely a sign of his divinity!) takes his place. Once he's comfortable, he nods to the Voice of the Emperor.

Ikoma Yasuji, Voice of the Emperor

Yasuji starts with prayers to the Fortunes, to bless the opening ceremony. When he's done, he faces the crowd and addresses you all in calm, clear tones.

"Most loyal and honorable subjects, be welcomed to the Imperial Court. For this winter season, Kyuden Kobayashi is your home. It is our home, as is the Empire our home. May the Fortunes, the kami, and our revered ancestors all bless the months ahead. As sons and daughters of the Emerald Empire, it is our honor to host the Son of Heaven, and our duty to work together to bring an era of peace and prosperity to the Empire, our Clans, our families, and our fellows."

That was pretty short by Yasuji standards. When he speaks again, you can guess why.

"The Emperor recognises that we have not called upon the Minor Clan Alliance to host such an event in living memory, and the Empire thanks you for attending. In light of the heightened attendance at this Winter Court, it is the Emperor's wish that each Clan and family be properly introduced, so that brothers and sisters who have not met in many years may become properly reacquainted."

Short version: They're going to call roll so everyone can get a handle on exactly how many Minor Clans are attending. Nice.

"We shall start, of course, with the Imperial Families. They will naturally be followed by the Great Clans, beginning with the Emperor's Right Hand—" the Lion, what a coincidence "—and proceeding from there. Next, our gracious hosts the Minor Clans will be introduced, followed by the remaining guests, our fellow servants of the Emperor." Yasuji looks down to the third tier. "I now cede the floor to the Imperial Herald."

Miya Suisei, Imperial Herald

The Herald's gestures are wide and her words are short. "The court welcomes the Imperial families: the Seppun family, represented by Seppun Ryuuko. The Hantei family..."

This goes on for a while, through the Imperial families and the Great Clans. The Herald declines to name everyone, instead sticking to whoever was sent in place of their Clan Champion. Seppun Ryuuko decides to bow to the audience without moving, so everyone else follows suit. There's not a lot of ceremony here—they're just listing everyone with more status than the Minor Clans so they don't get mad.

"... The Minor Clan Alliance, represented by Alliance Governor Suzume Xian. Xian-san, as you are the host clan, may we trouble you to introduce your fellow Minor Clans?"

Suzume Xian, Governor of the Minor Clan Alliance

The crowd parts to let Xian through. The Governor has a sort of earnest charm that has won over her fellows, and the other way she's survived is extreme politeness. She makes a show of bowing before ascending to the third step.

"It would be my honor, Miya-sama." Xian produces a scroll and turns to the audience. "The Monkey Clan, represented by Champion Toku Kozaru..."

It goes unsaid, but you can work out pretty quick that she's presenting the Minor Clans in a rough order based on size estimates. She starts with the ones everyone knows, like the Monkey and Tortoise; the names after that are Minor Clans that you all know but some Great Clans might have considered beneath their notice, like the Bear Bee and the Octopus. Then it gets weird.

"The Shark Clan, represented by..."

Names like Salamander and Moth start to drift through the air. The most learned and traveled samurai (along with the one samurai who actually looked at everything in the Concourse) nod along. The Great Clans are split between confusion, disgust, curiosity, and excitement. Who are the Ayu Clan? Is there really a Gorilla Clan? Is she making these up?

"...And the Cicada Clan, represented by Champion Ikari Takeo. That is all. Thank you."

Suzume bows and descends the Dais. The audience goes silent, trying to take it all in. Suisei rises again to get on with the business of snubbing the ronin.

"Thank you, Suzume-san. Ahem. The court also welcomes our fellow sons and daughters of the Empire, and wishes them well. This concludes the introductions. Thank you."

The Herald takes her seat. On the steps above her, the Imperial Chancellor slides into place a touch impatiently.

Doji Higurashi, Imperial Chancellor

"My friends, it is my pleasant duty to announce that the Imperial Court... is now in session. May your efforts here be both honorable and fruitful."

That seems to be it from the Dais for now. The Winter Court has begun.

. . .

Well then!

That's a lot to take in. Sorry about that! Now, I need some things from you. You may also optionally describe what the Alliance put in the Concourse to commemorate your Clan.

First, tell me your personal goal at Winter Court, or what your family/clan wants you to accomplish. You can leave the details vague (e.g. "annoy a Crane samurai") and we can figure it out later.

Second, tell me your Clan's broader goal in this court. Do they need supplies? Marriages? New alliances??

Also, tell me your reactions (public or private) to all this, and what you're doing right now. You can find someone to talk to, take your time and observe, duck out early to explore the areas around the main court chambers, or just talk amongst yourselves.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alright! I'm going to post some reactions and put the follow-up stuff that leads into the action in a later post, so you don't have to read as many words at once.

Doji Higurashi is a sly courtier and a bit of an odd one, at least by Crane standards. The Crane tend to stay close to Rokugan proper and hold a limited number of planets, preferring to send representatives to every system in the galaxy rather than actually living far out of the Emperor's shadow. Higurashi spent most of her life system-hopping on Crane ships or navigating the courts of orbital stations. Before becoming Imperial Chancellor she'd barely been on a planet, let alone Rokugan. Winter Court is probably the longest time she's spent on land.

If the Rokugan-like gravity bothers Higurashi she doesn't show it, though. She just smiles and takes the offered sake, clinching Misuko's play for her attention.

"Ah, it's a little too early for sake, don't you think?" Higurashi says with a wink before downing the cup. "Ah, but I do remember you! I've seen some of your work. I like it!" She taps her chin thoughtfully. "I'm afraid the schedule's a little fluid at the moment, or I'd know exactly when you're performing... I'll let you know in advance, of course."

If Misuko impresses Higurashi over the next week she'll get The Best Spot!

Bakami gives Kaihime a smile and a little shrug.

"To be honest, I'm not sure? The Alliance contacted the Clans and I delegated housing them to an assistant. I've had my hands full stamping down crime in the city to the Alliance's satisfaction..."

Bakami taps her fingers on the table and starts glancing around the crowd. "Hmm. The Gaur are in need of members as it is. If the Cicada are smaller... Do you see a Cicada mon?"

Miya Iesada texts Kozue back to let her know where he is: by the Dais, at a meeting of Miya courtier hosted by Miya Suisei. Suisei is the daughter of the Miya daimyo, who passed the Imperial Herald job to her not long ago. She's barely older than Kozue, and even though she's done well so far the other Miya seem to think she's inexperienced and easy to steer. Iesada in particular is hoping to get her attention and establish a good rapport after the meeting, and to Kozue it looks like half the other courtiers have the same idea. Suisei herself looks a little bored. Iesada is going to need help, or possibly someone to pry him away before he does something silly.

Risuta

Risuta sets out to contact the Kuni. The Crab have staked out a cluster of tables near their banner, and the Kuni are lurking somewhere behind them. A few courtiers have already approached the Crab, so nobody really stops Risuta from approaching their representative.

Kuni Hikari, Kuni Representative

Original source: Shiyu-Kang on deviantart

Hikari is the Kuni daimyo's Karo. The Kuni these days are mostly concerned with studying and cleaning up planets that have been touched by the unpleasant Realms; Hikari's a little different in that she's interested in all alien life, even if only for their military capability. She's chosen a table with a nice Hanajin flower display set into it and is studying it carefully when Risuta introduces himself.

"Hello. So what brings the Hare here? Besides the location, of course."

Kei

Once enough information is pooled, some Tortoise start getting priority messages. These are anonymous, and totally not from Kasuga Haruhi, Tortoise Representative. She has business to attend to with the Alliance and definitely not even here right now. This is some strange anonymous person asking Kei a favour.

quote:

Kei-san. Could you do me a favor? Some of the Palace's servants seem to think that a new crime gang has moved into the city recently, to fill the space Bakami's arrests have made. Strange, ne? Could you find out what you can in the next few weeks? If they're here for the Winter Court, the guests here could be patrons or targets.

—A friend

Probably some dirty ronin, honestly.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Okay, maybe one more post.

Suisei's smile is only a little impish. "Fortune and kindness, Kozue-san. You would be Iesada-san's betrothed, yes? I didn't know he liked karaoke."

The attention of the assembled Miya turns to Iesada. He handles it well enough. It's probably pretty common for Miya anyway. "Well... ...I dabble, Miya-sama. It's good practice for the voice. You know how it is."

Suisei doesn't wink at Kozue, but she sparkles a little. "Good answer."

"Ah, and I believe you and your friends are also magistrates? That could be useful." She tilts her head and looks back to the Dais. "Ah, but I'm needed for the gift ceremony soon. Perhaps we can talk later?"

Higurashi bows and glides back to her seat, making sure Misuko can see that she's got her data scroll on hand. Looks like she can expect a message soon...

It takes a while, but Kaihime eventually spots Ikari at a table in a lonely corner of the room. He's sharing it with Bakami's bud, Bayushi Asaji.

Ikari Takeo, Cicada Clan Champion

Source

You're not sure how Asaji got in here. Even the Scorpion get worried around her. Takeo doesn't seem to care; he's playing with an origami cicada and chatting with her as she tries not to look too curious.

"... I'm sure it's possible," Takeo is saying as you wander over. "Genetic therapy could handle the eye, at least. I'm just saying, it's worth considering."

"Interesting," Asaji fans herself. "Ah, hello! Have you met my friends here? Bakami-san is the local Governor, and Kaihime-san is a Magistrate. Bakami-san, Kaihime-san, this is Takeo-sama. He's Cicada Clan Champion." Asaji is already out of her seat. "Introduce yourselves, please! Let me see if I can find us something to drink..."

Yeah, she's not coming back.

Takeo nods as you pull up a seat. "Hello there. Monkey and Crow, right? I am Ikari Takeo, of the Cicada Clan."

He taps the origami on the table to demonstrate. "I knew a Monkey once. I haven't met any Crow, but I know of you."

Risuta

Hikari raises her eyebrows. A Minor Clan samurai approaching a Great Clan samurai on the first day of Winter Court is a bold move.

"I see." She taps her fingers on the table and thinks. "Well, it's interesting. We have no reason to deny the Hare out of hand. I'd have to consult with the rest of the Crab delegation. I'm sure we can work something out. Assuming things don't change. Winter Court changes fast. We shall see."

She pauses for a moment, then adds "What part of our research interests you most?"

Kei

Asaji's good at appearances. Kei almost sees her weird eye before the rest of her.

"Hello, Kei-san." Asaji waves her fan at her. "Thank you for delivering the letter! And I see Kawaso Mikuji came, too. That's interesting," Asaji's voice is a little quiet, "I didn't expect her to show up, you see. Was it something you said?"

She uses her fan to hide a smile (and speak to Kei a little more privately). "Not that I mind! Oh, but I hope you weren't planning to talk to the Scorpion for the next few days."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alright! Time to move on from today's Courtly Duties. This will be some reactions, the last Event for the day, then some post-Court plot stuff. I'm going to forgo the unique headers for the reactions because they take up a lot of space when you're split up.

The Imperial Herald (Kozue)

The collected Miya hold their breath for a moment. Suisei just smiles.

After a while, she speaks. "Well, I have business to attend to immediately after Court... but do tell me where you choose to do karaoke, will you, Iesada-san?"

Iesada doesn't really know what to make of this either. "Ah, of course, Miya-sama."

Suisei may be fashionably late but it looks like Kozue might have gotten an audience with the Imperial Herald (and anyone else who joins her).

Ikari Taeko's Table (Kaihime)

Takeo sits back and refills his pipe.

"We'd need an exorcist if they did, I'm afraid. We Cicada ran light at the best of times. For now, I'm the Cicada delegation."

Bakami frowns. "Ikari-san... I hope I misunderstand you. Traditionally a Minor Clan must be at least..."

Takeo smiles. "I am aware. But thank you for the concern, Toku-san. May I ask about your arm?"

"Eh?"

"Sorry if I'm being offensive. I'm just intrigued. It's a very elegant design, but the jade core is unusual for a courtier. I assume it's a personal choice? It would certainly ruin any synthetic masking..."

Bakami is more bewildered than offended. "I... well, yes. The design is a personal choice. I like the balance jade represents. And a synthetic mask would just be silly. Why hide what happened?"

Takeo nods. "That is an extremely Monkey answer. May I ask..."

Bakami smiles and lets Takeo keep diverting the discussion. Kaihime gets a sneaky message, though.

[ I'm going to research the Cicada tonight! ]

Kuni Hikari's Table (Risuta)

Hikari raises an eyebrow.

"Hmm. Someone else who knows what K+ emitters are? That's interesting. I like it. And it will help. I may have a reply soon...

Whatever happens from here, it sounds like Risuta might be buds with the Crab soon!

Bayushi Asaji (Kei)

Asaji is blank-faced for a moment. Either she bought it or she is completely wrong about what Kei is lying about.

"Ah, I see. People don't compliment my appearance often!" She gives Kei a wink (with her terrible cursed eye that makes it ambiguous whether she's telling the truth, way to go Asaji) and continues: "I suppose I wasn't expecting Kawaso-san to show at all... But I can work with this, I suppose. Thank you, Kei."

That's... good??

THE GIFT GIVING CEREMONY

In ages past, this ceremony happened earlier. In the age of stars, it's become customary to do it near the end of the first day—a previous Emperor decided (in much more eloquent words, obviously) that these things take forever now, so everyone might as well get some food in them first. You're able to get a meal and some conversation in before the chime sounds, and Miya Suisei returns to her post to begin the ceremony.

The ceremony itself is simple: One by one, in a vague order decided partly by status and partly by whim, guests approach the Dais and present the Emperor with a gift. The gift can be something expensive and flashy or something simple with personal meaning to you; a good story is just as good as gold here. The actual accepting of the gift is done by the Imperial Herald (who performs the customary two refusals and all that as well), while the Voice of the Emperor thanks them and says anything else Sumeragi wants him to.

The whole thing takes ages, so here are the highlights:

The Crab: The Crab's representative offers a gift on behalf of the entire clan: the skull of a titanic being slain on a distant world, decorated with precious metals by Crab artisans. Presenting a trophy from one of their battles with a vague "you're welcome" attitude is pretty standard for the Crab, but the size is unusual. Someone's out to impress this year!

The Mantis: The Mantis representative offers a masterwork, detailed holo-tapestry depicting the history of the Mantis, thanking Emperors past for seeing their potential while not-very-subtly hinting that the Minor Clans they were formed out of were better off with the Mantis. The Emperor is amused; the Minor Clan Alliance is not.

The Monkey: Hey! It's the gift you delivered! The presentation goes like this:

quote:

There are whispers as Monkey Champion Toku Kamina is the first Minor Clan samurai to step up to the Dais. The Great Clans have just made a big show of wealth in front of the Court, and while many are simply curious others are clearly eager to sneer at the Minor Clan's efforts.

"Hello. As Toku Kamina of the Monkey Clan, on behalf of my Clan and the Minor Clan Alliance, I present this humble gift to Emperor Iweko CXII. May he find some use for it."

Kamina presents a simple box. It is clearly the one the gift came in. Only you, Kamina and Bakami know what the box contains: the most average gift in the Empire, forged by a legendary ronin to be perfectly adequate for any occasion.

The crowd holds it breath as Suisei has someone open the box for her.

The Herald's expression is priceless. A flicker of doubt crosses the young samurai's poker face as she starts to comment on it and finds she's got nothing. It's not bad. It's certainly a well-made sword, and a perfectly fine gift for the Emperor. It's just not clear why he would choose it over any other swords. It's Okay.

"Ah," Suisei declares. "This is... well made, Toku-san."

"That it is," Kamina beams at the speechless crowd. Courtiers who were sneering just a moment ago open and close their mouths idly.

Suisei is finally saved by Ikoma Yasuji, who steps forward with a message from the boss.

"A fine gift," the Voice of the Emperor says. "A symbol of the Empire in its purest form, and a welcome reminder of the foundations our prosperity is built on. Thank you, old friend."

The Emperor is carefully hiding his mouth behind his steepled fingers, but he seems amused. Kamina bows and returns to the bewildered crowd.

"Thank you," Bakami whispers.

The Cicada: Ikari Takeo offers the origami cicada he was fiddling with earlier, with a simple story about how he's been making these since he was a child and to him they represent the Empire and blah blah blah. The Voice steps forward to accept this one too. Nobody on the Dais quizzes Takeo about the Cicada's deal, at least not this time.

Everyone's expected to offer a gift, so you can describe yours if you like! If not, assume your gift was accepted and amused Emperor Sumeragi for a moment.

The Court is closed for the day at the end of the gifts, thank the gods. Once a small ceremony is completed and the Emperor and his Chosen file out the back door, everyone sets off to explore their new home for the next three months.

Almost everyone. Bakami is off to get some Governor work done, and she sends you a message on the way.

quote:

Hello! Sorry to bother you again so soon, but I'm told there may be ruffians about. A few of our Alliance kin from smaller Clans left early and they think they were followed. Ronin too. Could you take a quick look as magistrates? But be discreet, it could just be courtiers or something.

So! Bakami seems to think there are Criminals trying to tarnish her city's good name by looking for low-ranking samurai to jump. It is probably not that simple.

How do you plan to look into this, and would you like to roll anything? Bakami isn't her boss, so doing something else is an option.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Crimson Tea Pavilion, Near The Palace

The streets near the Palace are bustling with the usual samurai, merchants, and workers that fill the streets around every Winter Court. The Crimson Tea Pavilion sits somewhere in the middle, not far from Minor Clan housing, and every so often you see another Clan's retinue push their way through the crowds. The ronin got the furthest housing, and some are even just staying at hotels elsewhere in the city, so they're stopping at cafes and stalls nearby to fill up on good before the trek. Security looks tight (Thanks, Bakami), but apparently it isn't, which is what brings you here...

Kozue

Luckily, Karaoke is just down the street. Also luckily(?), Kozue gets the feeling she's being watched...

???

A small group of these guys seem to be tailing her with the air of ronin seeking out a lone target. Hmm...

We're back!

Looks like you found the guys Bakami is looking for (and Kei, hopefully). What are you going to do? You can scope them out, try and set up a perfect situation for Kozue to lead them into, or just jump them out in the street and hope for the best.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

The three samurai look like ronin to Kei. They have an odd gait for people trying to move steathily, at least until she scopes them out a little more and realises she's mostly looking at metal. These guys are either robots or heavily cyberized. They look a little cheap and mass-produced, and are probably relying on their numbers to take Kozue down quickly.

... which makes it a little awkward for them when they finally step out to confront her and find themselves trapped in a stairwell with the rest of you.

. . .

Your plan is solid and Kei rolled well enough, so I'll let you fine folks get a free hit in! There are three ronin here (A, B, and C); if you're attacking, each has 18 Armor TN and 3 Reduction. End this fight before it begins for a bonus!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

The ronin are surprised when Kozue turns and cuts one of their arms off. One of the others quickly reaches for his sword, but when the other samurai step out of the shadows, one of the others stops them.

"Enough. It's over," that one says in a buzzing electronic voice. The other ronin hold, defeated.

. . .

Between all your rolls, you did well enough to capture the cyber-ronin! It's up to you what to do now; you're free to interrogate them, but you're also well within your rights to execute them and search their bodies for information.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

I'm going to go ahead and abstract this!

You press the situation out of the ronin!
  • The ronin work for a group called the Vermilion Dragon Syndicate. The Syndicate came to Winter Court from more distant systems, and the ronin don't know their purpose.
  • Each ronin is more machine than man, and the Syndicate installed life-changing cybernetics in exchange for doing jobs for the ronin. Risuta guesses, based on the quality of their cyber, that they were intended to be used as cannon fodder.
  • Their mission was to find someone who seemed like easy pickings (like a ronin or a Minor Clan samurai), take them out, and grab their electronics so the Syndicate could spoof their identity.
  • They have no specific quarrel with Kozue; they just thought she'd be easy pickings. Whoops

When you press for more, you get a Vermilion Dragon Insignia their leader was carrying. They're pretty sure they're not the only agents out tonight, but this is enough information for Bakami to send out her own samurai to deal with it. I won't make you repeat this scene with more ronin before your mission is done, don't worry. :v:

You also learn a little about the ronin themselves, which mostly serves to tell you what kind of people the Vermilion Dragon are:
  • Hachi is their leader, a proud old ex-Lion who claims he was cast out and lost an arm and leg killing a crazed provincial daimyo. He agreed to this to get a replacement for his sword arm, the only skill he really has. (Kozue just cut it off, though. Nice!) Whatever happened to him in his past broke him; he's clearly just passing time until he dies.
  • Kyu is a ronin career criminal from a gang of space pirates. She lost her hands to a Mantis magistrate who'd woken up on the wrong side of the bed that morning, but what really convinced her to sign up was a degenerative space disease she'd picked up that the Syndicate's cyber could cure. She volunteers information only at Hachi's prodding and does not like you much.
  • San is the one who was going to try and stab you anyway. This guy isn't even a ronin; he's an ashigaru from Crab lands who was picked up from the wreckage of some battlefield along with tens of other fallen soldiers and fitted with life-saving tech. The way he holds his sword suggests he was chosen for talent but is a little too twitchy with it.

... And that's basically the story.

"Well," Hachi folds his arms. "That's all we have, I think. Whatever comes next, make it quick."

What do you do next? As magistrates, you are well within your rights to execute them for their crimes at this point. You can also turn them over to local law enforcement; if you know Toku Bakami, she'll execute them in public but go soft on the former samurai and offer him seppuku.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

[ Aha! ] Bakami replies. [ That's good news! We've stopped a few incidents but this is the first arrest I've heard of. Well done! There's a station you can take them to at the edge of the Pavilion. I'll send coordinates. ]

(Kei gets a similar message from Definitely Not Kasuga Haruhi: [ Aha! Interesting, ne? Where did you say they were being taken? I'd love to watch justice be meted out to these ruffians. ]

. . .

With the ronin apprehended and the Syndicate uncovered, your job is done for now. Time for the important part...

... That karaoke night you invited the Imperial Herald to.

There's a nice karaoke place called Senbonzakura by the Pavilion. When you finish with the ronin and head over there, Iesada is waiting... with Imperial Herald Suisei, some of her retinue, and few younger Miya. She was fashionably late, but you were busy too so it evens out.

"Fortune and kindness to you!" Suisei grins. "We just arrived. I took the liberty of booking extra rooms for some of my companions, so we're not too cramped." Also so Suisei can dump the ones who are only coming for the sake of following her into another room where they can chat, probably.

"Shall we?"

. . .

It's time for a Winter Court event: Karaoke! Here's the deal:

Each of you has a chance to make friends and impress your guest with your karaoke skills. Choose a skill you think is appropriate and roll; you're trying to beat 20. Here are some suggestions, though they're not the only skills you can roll and you can do what you like:
  • Courtier to manipulate the conversation and song list to your advantage;
  • Etiquette to sing badly without embarrassing yourself;
  • Perform to impress people with your musical talent;
  • Sincerity to compliment others' singing and look like you're enjoying yourself.
If you succeed, you can choose one of these things to get from Suisei:
  • A small favor (e.g. helping with one of your goals);
  • Useful knowledge or gossip related to a Court attendee (including Suisei herself);
  • Advance warning on what inter-Clan drama is likely to start this month.
If 3 of you succeed, you'll get a bonus: useful information about the upcoming iaijutsu tournament.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Suisei is smiling and laughing by the end. Even the samurai she dragged with her are having a good time!

"Oh, I needed that! Thank you. Let me know if you're doing this again, will you?"

Now those are some successes! Check the OOC thread and we can sort out what you get.

Once you're done, Suisei's people give you a ride to your lodgings. The first day seems to have gone well! Hopefully the rest are just as good.

Next up...

. . .

Winter Court
2nd Day of the Dog, 3122

As you arrive for the Court's second day, you note that Imperial Chancellor Doji Higurashi is already on the Dais. Right now she's deep in conversation with Cicada Clan Champion Ikari Takeo and the Emerald Champion, but at the appointed time they disappear into the background and she turns to address the crowd.

"My friends, it is my pleasant duty to announce that this second day of the Imperial Court... is now in session. May your efforts here be both honorable and fruitful."

"Today we shall be entertaining petitions from the Imperial Families. First, we have announcements."

Higurashi nods to a nearby Miya, opens an AR window with a flick of her hands, confirms that it indeed says what she already knew, and snaps it closed again.

"Today we have one announcement. I present to you the Monkey Clan Champion, Toku Kamina."

Toku Kamina is a muscled, jolly fellow, the sort who needs his kimonos specially tailored to fit his shoulders. You can see a resemblance to his daughter Toku Bakami behind the wild hair though.

"My friends! Lords of the Clans Great and Minor, servants of the Imperial Houses, our ronin brethren... on behalf of the Monkey I'd like to say it's an honour to host the Winter Court in our fair city."

"But more importantly... it's my great pleasure to announce that the Minor Clan Alliance intends to celebrate this Court by hosting some contests for your entertainment. Every week one Minor Clan will sponsor a contest, with prizes presented by the Minor Clan. The Monkey Clan is first, so I thought we'd start simple with an iaijutsu tournament. Duels will take place in the garden at the midpoint of Hoshi's Promenade, and our benevolent Imperial Chancellor has agreed to observe. We'll reveal the prize before the penultimate round," he adds with a wink.

"I believe everyone has received their invitations already?" He glances at a Miya, who nods. "Good! You know what to do, then. Competitors should be registered before dinner, and the first round will be tonight. I hope you see you there!"

. . .

Each Clan received their invitations in advance, and most have already chosen competitors. Suisei mentioned this whole thing last night, so Kaihime, Kozue, and Risuta are already registered too. (There are a lot of Minor Clan samurai here, and the tournament board is appropriately large.)

By midday the tournament board is almost full, and the alcoves, balconies, and side-chambers of the Court are abuzz with rumours and gossip. Courtiers are already placing their bets. This is going to be interesting...

ROUND 1

This Monkey Challenge is going to take up most of the first week of the Court. I've split it into two sections: the Contest itself, and the Spectators who sponsor specific samurai, make bets, and try to influence events. For each section, I will list the duels you're participating in, any other duels of interest, and persons of interest behind the scenes. Decide what you're doing, make rolls if you have to, and then we'll figure out your duels. Depending on how this round goes, different persons of interest might pop up next time.

Depending on what (and how) you do, you may receive an advantage or weaken one of the other fighters. Because Suisei has already told you about the tournament, you start knowing some info on your opponents and roughly how skilled they are: I'll say they're
Good if they're about an equal match for you, Average if they're worse than you, and Great if they're better than you.

For the record, here is your goal: if you make sure a Minor Clan samurai places in at least the top three, you will get a reward. It doesn't actually have to be you, but you'll get a bonus depending on how well you place.

Some shrewd samurai are already trying to wring as much as they can out of the Monkey Challenge, whether it's for political purposes or just for profit. Here are a few of them:

Bayushi Iwao: An old man and Winter Court veteran who seems to spend most of his time playing mahjong in the side-chambers. The man likes his bets, but he's got a low-key rivalry going on with a Dragonfly courtier and seems to be getting involved just to screw with him. Iwao is definitely going to try and fix this tournament, but don't say that out loud. It's rude.

Kakita Komatsu: Rather than participate, Komatsu has been chosen by the Crane to select their fighters and assess the opposition so the Crane can work out how best to exploit the tournament for political gain. Ostensibly Komatsu is passing on her findings to Kakita Mikimoto, a minor courtier looking for a chance to prove himself, but he pretty much just does whatever she recommends.

Tonbo Shigeru: Dragonfly courtier and sponsor of several Minor Clan samurai. Shigeru's talents as a courtier and strategist seem completely wasted on the Dragonfly, but serve him well in his probably-pointless battle with Bayushi Iwao. Shigeru likes risky but profitable bets, and prefers to consult an excitable monk named Togashi Hei before taking action.

Yasuki Kenji: A good-natured merchant lord who arranged the Crab entries. He seems to be playing it safe: he's sponsored a few reasonable-seeming fighters and makes modest wagers on sure bets. He is spending a lot of time on observing and researching the entrants, though.

Here are your first matchups, plus a couple others of interest. Bets made by the sponsors above are mentioned in italics. All duels are to first blood, and there are healers on hand to fix anything that happens.

Kohaku Kozue vs. Daidoji Yuzuriha [Good]
Yuzuriha is a little small for a Crane duelist, but if she has a true flaw it's her vanity. The Daidoji has been preening herself as much as it's socially acceptable to do so, and she has an easy job as a yojimbo to the minor courtier Kakita Mikimoto so she has a lot of time for that. She's learned tricks to use her stature to her advantage, and she's got a decent win rate on Kettōhon.

Tonbo Shigeru and Yasuki Kenji bet on Kohaku Kozue. Bayushi Iwao and Kakita Komatsu bet on Daidoji Yuzuriha.

Marumaru Kaihime vs. Tsuruchi Ryuzaki [Good]
Mitsu is a skilled but aging Tsuruchi magistrate who never really went in for the bow. His fighting style prioritizes precision and speed over power, and he earned a bit of a reputation in his early years for striking first and asking questions later. Outside duels, he's a kind if quiet man who's developed a thing for philosophy.

Kakita Komatsu and Tonbo Shigeru bet on Marumaru Kaihime. Bayushi Iwao and Yasuki Kenji bet on Tsuruchi Ryuzaki.

Ujina Risuta vs. Hamaguri Sho [Good]
Sho is a Clam Clan samurai and yojimbo to their visiting Champion. He showed with a sweet pompadour that he seems to like, but a lot of courtiers are giggling at him behind his back. He hasn't noticed yet. Sho knows how to handle the blade and carries himself with the confidence of a man who has a sweet hairdo.

Bayushi Iwao and Kakita Komatsu bet on Ujina Risuta. Tonbo Shigeru bets on Hamaguri Sho. Yasuki Kenji abstains.

Shiba Suzaku [Great] vs. Anzu [???]
This one's going to be funny: Shiba Suzaku, skilled duelist, former Topaz Champion, and yojimbo to the Master of Fire, versus some ronin woman. Few have heard of her, she's not on Kettōhon, and she's sporting a few nano-bandages from some unexplained incident last night, so most of the spectators are here to watch a high-status Great Clan samurai wipe the floor with someone.

Bayushi Iwao, Kakita Komatsu, and Tonbo Shigeru bet on Shiba Suzaku. Yasuki Kenji bets on Anzu.

Matsu (Koritome) Konoha [Great] vs. Hiruma Daigo [Great]
Matsu Konoha is an honorable but brash woman and yojimbo to the head of the Ikoma delegation, while Hiruma Daigo is a cool-tempered if uncreative man serving as a yojimbo to one of the Kaiu's scientists. Both have a disadvantage: Konoha is new to Winter Court and sporting a fresh new pair of cyber-eyes she's still adjusting to, while Daigo is still adjusting to the climate and cycles of this world and is relying on Kaiu medication to speed up the process. Whoever wins, one of you will have to face them next round.

Tonbo Shigeru bets on Matsu Konoha. Bayushi Iwao and Yasuki Kenji bet on Hiruma Daigo. Kakita Komatsu abstains.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 2, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alright! Posting the results of your rolls first, then I'll try and work out the actual iaijutsu stuff and make a follow-up post. Future posts on my part should be faster and shorter, though I'm at a con for most of the next week.

Everyone dueling should check Kei's result!

Kozue hangs out with the Kakita for a while. Mikimoto is a well-trained courtier who's obviously pretty smart, but he doesn't have much actual court experience and seems to be letting Komatsu tell him what to do a lot. The other courtiers are starting to notice!

Oh, and Bayushi Iwao has been seen talking to the Kaiu delegation. Supposedly the Scorpion and the Crab are negotiating a deal, but considering he's betting on Hiruma Daigo, a yojimbo with the Kaiu delegation, the timing is definitely weird...

Kozue can encourage Mikimoto to assert himself. He'll probably be fine, and the Crane are less likely to meddle in the tournament. Also, Iwao might be up to something shady? If you follow this lead you risk annoying the Scorpion, but you'll get the Dragon's ear if you help Tonbo Shigeru beat his rival. Or you can help Iwao to get the Scorpion's ear.

Yasuki Kenji likes to wander around, but he's always willing to chat and laugh with those he bumps into. When Misuko finds him he's trying to catch the attention of a group of Crane who are clearly snubbing him as politely as they can.

Kenji's willing to talk about Crab music: "Ah, yes! You know the Kano? A vassal family of ours, artisans? I hear they have a young lady named Bunjaku who's very good at motivating the troops. She's been popular with visiting courtiers so we thought we'd bring her along, you know, surprise the Crane a little." He winks. "Not a problem for you, I hope! If it is don't tell her I said anything."

The Crab brought Yasuki (Kano) Bunjaku to compete with the Crane, but the Crab aren't exactly subtle. If they have to step over Misuko show up the Crane, they will. On the upside, getting favor from a Crane Chancellor is an uphill battle for them.

As for Anzu: "Ah, the ronin? I've heard of her. I hear she's a second-generation ronin, though I can't figure out who her parents were for the life of me. She's a sword-for-hire round Hiruma space. If she's here she's caught someone's interest, you know? Any ronin good enough to stand out on a Crab world sounds like a safe bet to me. ... She eats like an ogre, though."

Kenji totally brought Anzu here and is maintaining plausible deniability. Who knows why!

"You like swords, by the way? I'm a bit of a collector, myself. I'm looking for a Crane sword to complete my Great Clan collection, but my Minor Clan Alliance set has plenty of holes. If there's anything the Ibis needs from the Crab..."

As stated earlier, these three had about the same Iaijutsu skill as their PC opponents. Thanks to Kei though, they're unprepared for their duel and suffer disadvantages:

Yuzuriha is hilariously easy to manipulate, and watching her run around in a panic trying to find smol-duelist-sized clothes is hilarious. Eventually she gets things sorted out with the Daidoji, but she only has time to preen over her hair in a mirror and can't find any of her dueling accessories. She turns up to her duel looking extremely grumpy instead of cool and mysterious. Yuzuriha's Iaijutsu rolls are effectively 1k0 lower.

Ryuzaki hears outrageous new rumors that some of his fave philosophers fraternized with aliens, got drunk and sired children on distant worlds, became ronin, etc. He spends most of the morning overhearing courtiers talking about it and trapping them in lectures on what those philosophers were really like, and has to be pried away by the other Mantis before he is late. When he shows up, he's got a lot on his mind. Ryuzaki's rolls are 0k1 lower.

Sho's hair turns bright pink, and even he knows that's ridiculous. He manages to excuse himself to try and fix his precious hair, but the best he can do in time is making the pink less bright. He shows up a little self-conscious and extremely out of focus. Sho's rolls are 0k1 lower, and Risuta is considered to automatically succeed the Assessment stage by 10.s

Ettin fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 1, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alright! I ran through the duels over IRC and, uh, long story short you guys had a lot of exploding dice. :argh: I'll describe how the duels went and post some new stuff! I'll try to keep it short, since I'd like to move on this month, so I'll probably just do 1-2 more rounds and decide how the rest of the tournament goes from there.

Kohaku Kozue vs. Daidoji Yuzuriha
Both duelists are quick, but Kozue is quicker. As Yuzuriha draws her sword, Kozue makes a blink-and-you-miss-it strike that cuts down the top of her tsukamaki, slices her hand, and ends the duel in an instant. Yuzuriha doesn't look pleased, but at least her hair is fine; she sheathes her sword, gives Kozue a grudging nod of respect, and leaves to get her hand fixed. Kozue is declared the winner.

Marumaru Kaihime vs. Tsuruchi Ryuzaki
Both duelists spend a few moments studying each other before making their strike, and Kaihime is slightly faster, landing a superficial cut as Ryuzaki swings. There's nothing fancy to this duel, but it's a solid display of technique. Ryuzaki bows to Kaihime and compliments her skill before leaving to corner the courtiers again.

Ujina Risuta vs. Hamaguri Sho
This one is just unfair. Sho doesn't seem ready at all, and by the time his sword comes out of its scabbard Risuta is already striking him with a blow that sends him sprawling to the ground. The audience cheers Risuta as his opponent is placed on a stretcher and carted away as politely as possible.

Shiba Suzaku vs. Anzu
The audience is clearly expecting Suzaku to end the duel in an instant, but instead the Shiba and Anzu spend a few moments studying each other. Then a few more. Just as the tension nears breaking point, the samurai explode into motion. Suzaku looks like he's about to get her, but Anzu is ready for him: she lunges upward, uses her arm to block his, then plunges her sword downward into the foot Suzaku shifted forward to strike. It's unconventional to say the least, but it works.

Shiba is surprised when the ronin impales his foot, but to his credit he merely flinches. He simply waits as Anzu frees him, bows as best he can, and limps away as the audience boggles.

Matsu (Koritome) Konoha vs. Hiruma Daigo
Daigo guesses that Konoha is faster, and he's right; he shifts immediately into a defensive stance and barely blocks her first strike. They trade a couple more blows, but Daigo manages to turn his next parry into a swift strike that slashes her shoulder just in time. It seems pretty legit. Kei notices Iwao smile a little, though.

The next round happens the following day.

Tonbo Shigeru and Bayushi Iwao: These two both lost three and won two, so they're pretty much even. Iwao spends a lot more time hovering around the duelists and people connected to them, and Kozue is pretty sure he's looking for ways to interfere in the duels. Meanwhile, Shigeru's friend Togashi Hei meets with a few duelists and engages them in pleasant conversation before Shigeru makes his votes. Hei also meets with Kei, for some reason. (Hei might be on to her!)

Yasuki Kenji: Kenji mostly won, so he celebrates with a few drinks and gets back to work. He seems to be keeping his distance from Anzu, who can usually be found talking to the other ronin or or inhaling noodles at the Crimson Tea Pavilion. Instead, he tries to talk to the Crane and gets rebuffed again.

Kakita Komatsu: The Crane mostly broke even, which is better than losing but not by much. Also, one of their own is out of the tournament and they suspect foul play! Komatsu tells Mikimoto what bets to place and goes to watch over Doji Shizuka, just in case.

ROUND 2

Round 2 of 3! Here are your fights, plus one more of interest. [Great] means they have their own stats and advantages and will pose a challenge to you.

Kohaku Kozue vs. Shinjo Izumo [Great]
Izumo is a Shinjo bushi. He usually fights on the back of his strange feathery lizard Mushan, but his ancient Shinjo sword techniques are nothing to sneeze at. Something about the way he shows up to duels riding a freaking dinosaur is pretty intimidating, even if he has to keep it stabled most of the time.

Bayushi Iwao and Kakita Komatsu bet on Kozue. Yasuki Kenji and Tonbo Shigeru bet on Shinjo Izumo.

Marumaru Kaihime vs. Bayushi Hayashi [Great]
Hayashi was trained as a Toku bushi, but he's dedicated to serving the Scorpion Clan. His Kettōhon profile suggests he's calm, skilled, and used to the odds being stacked against him. You haven't actually seen him fight though—his previous opponent pulled out at the last minute after she fell ill. His sponsor Shosuro Moguru was on the other end of the palace the entire time, of course...

Tonbo Shigeru, Yasuki Kenji, and Kakita Komatsu bet on Kaihime. Bayushi Iwao bets on Bayushi Hayashi.

Ujina Risuta vs. Hiruma Daigo [Great]
Daigo is Risuta's next opponent. As you saw from his last fight, his need for Kaiu medication hasn't dulled his iaijutsu skills much. He seems to be in surprisingly good shape, actually.

Tonbo Shigeru and Kakita Komatsu bet on Risuta. Bayushi Iwao and Yasuki Kenji bet on Hiruma Daigo.

Anzu [Superb] vs. Doji Shizuka [Superb]
Doji Shizuka is a Crane warrior-poet, a master of the blade and word. Everyone was looking forward to watching her go against Shiba Suzaku, but this duel should be just as interesting. Whoever wins will go on to face a PC next round and could easily place in the top 3.

Tonbo Shigeru bets on Anzu. Yasuki Kenji and Kakita Komatsu bet on Doji Shizuka. Bayushi Iwao abstains.

Seppun Kamui [Superb] vs. Ichiro Moeka [Great]
Kamui is the yojimbo of one of the Otomo and a calm, powerful veteran duelist, while Moeka is a young and rude Badger who will probably gain great glory once she learns to bite her tongue. This one's worth noting for other reasons, though: Misuko and Kei both receive secret orders to interfere with the fight to aid the plans of their own Clans. Misuko is asked to help ensure Kamui's victory by Toki Ozora, a mid-rank Ibis courtier who doesn't care for her music; he just believes in using every tool he has available, and assumes Misuko will try because she'll lose favour if she doesn't. Kei is asked to even the odds for Moeka by Kasuga Yuzu, who is probably the slimiest person at Winter Court but technically outranks Kei. He is seriously the worst, even by Tortoise standards. Whoever wins will be fighting one of the PCs.

Tonbo Shigeru abstains. Bayushi Iwao bets on Seppun Kamui. Kakita Komatsu and Yasuki Kenji bet on Ichiro Moeka.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 2, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Round 2! It's been long enough so I might do this next iaijutsu set and move on to new challenges. For now...

Kaihime

Kaihime checks around! The magistrates seem fine, though some of the Winter Court veterans are thinking of setting up a cynical deadpool on who and when the first Winter Court death will be and might appreciate Kaihime's input. Bakami is fine—her main problem right now is other Clans fishing to see if she'd be interested in a political marriage, and she already has people to deflect that. Tako Tsugumi just can't seem to navigate far so she's always glad to have another willing aide on hand though.

Misuko, Kei

Misuko gets on Yasuki Kenji's good side by gifting him an Ibis sword, while Kei gets similar information by sneaking a peek as he tries to send messages with a pocket scribe hidden in his sleeves during the duels.

Kenji really, really needs a Crane sword to complete his Clan sword collection. He's not a duelist, and the Doji think he's a crooked merchant anyway, so they wouldn't give him one. Instead, he's sponsoring Anzu. If she impresses them with her sword skills, they'll probably gift her a sword as a sign of respect, and she can give it to her patron in exchange for a hefty sum of credits. Everyone wins! He's avoiding being seen with her so the Crane don't work out their plan.

When Misuko brings him the Ibis sword, Kenji gratefully agrees to have the other Crab courtiers avoid ruining Misuko's plan with their musical tomfoolery—he'd rather avoid riling the Crane up right now, anyway. If she keeps quiet about his plans, she'll have a friend in the Crab delegation. As for Kei, Kenji seems like he'd pay well for help getting that sword.

Kei Specifically

Kei also handles the side business so nobody else has to!

Hiruma Daigo is actually taking acclimation medicine as far as Kei can tell, but she's also pretty sure Iwao has either tampered with it to add drugs or blackmailed Daigo into doing it. Messing with his medication is like evening things out, if you think about it. Daigo is downgraded from [Great] to [Good] for the purposes of this duel.

Seppun Kamui takes duels seriously, apparently: he withdraws from the duel, claiming that someone is meddling with it. That causes a minor diplomatic incident when Ichiro Moeka opens her big mouth and accuses him of calling her a cheat, and that causes another one when Kamui mentions that he received a strange note. (As an aside, this means Misuko can pretty much ignore that Ibis request to interfere.)

As for Bayushi Hayashi, or really Bayushi Iwao: Togashi Hei thinks Kei is sweet and the possibility of "bad things" is worth looking into, so she decides to look into it. By the time Seppun Kamui withdraws, she's already got suspicions. Afterwards she and Tonbo Shigeru talk to Kamui in private. Soon the courtiers are whispering that something's going to go down before the tournament ends...

The full impact of Kei's Sincerity will be felt next round. For now I'll tell you that Iwao was going to tip Kozue's duel her favour and Kaihime's against her, and both of those are off the table: now you'll duel them fair and square.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright! Finally managed to get this set done, so here's the results of your rolls. Here's the results for this round, then some Drama.

Anzu vs. Doji Shizuka
In one corner, a Crane warrior-poet who could bring most duelists down with a word. In the other, a ronin who can go through three bowls of ramen in ten minutes. She nailed the Master of Fire's yojimbo to the floor last round though, so a big crowd shows up for this one.

The two women size each other up, then begin to circle each other in search of a weak point.

And circle.

And circle.

About five minutes in they slow down and stand there instead. Someone coughs nervously.

Five more minutes pass. A few samurai start glancing at their pocket scrolls.

Another five minutes pass before Shizuka finally lets her hand relax and bows.

As the crowd erupts into chatter, she walks over to Anzu. Their chatter is inaudible over the crowd, but the two leave together.

Kohaku Kozue vs. Shinjo Izumo
Next up: some good solid duelling. Izumo shows up riding his feathery lizard again and makes just enough of a show of it that people don't think he's a blowhard, but it probably doesn't phase Kozue.

In fact, nothing seems to. Whether it's luck, a flash of inspiration, or just the will of the gods, Kozue seems to glide in just as Izumo moves for what he thinks is an opening, and makes a solid cut to his side. The Unicorn is stunned for a moment, but manages to regain his composure enough to concede gracefully before riding away.

Thanks to some Void spending and the Luck advantage, Kozue got first blood!

Marumaru Kaihime vs. Bayushi Hayashi
Kaihime and Hayashi's duel is a little odd in comparison. The Bayushi's a safe bet to win and he knows it, but his Toku training made him a bit too overconfident—rather than wait for a prime weak point, he leaps forward early. The move surprises Kaihime, but she manages to get her sword up in time and lands an awkward blow as Hayashi moves in. Not the most impressive victory, but a victory nonetheless. Hayashi is forced to bow in concession and grump off to wherever the Scorpion are hiding.

Kaihime rolled terribly, but Hayashi rolled terribly in the Focus round so Kaihime's terrible roll drew first blood.

Ujina Risuta vs. Hiruma Daigo
Daigo doesn't look so great once he turns up to the duel—some of the spectators whisper that he's not taken his acclimation medication—but even an under-the-weather Daigo is a fearsome opponent. He and Risuta spend a long time sizing each other up, and when they finally clash it's a spectacular display of form and grace... that sends both duelists reeling. A kharmic strike.

Daigo touches his cheek and thinks for a moment, before deciding that if he's this off his game it's not worth proceeding. He bows, acknowledges Risuta as the superior opponent, and goes to have a lie down.

Daigo was weakened to about Risuta's level and they ended in a kharmic strike.

By the time these duels are done, Drama has consumed the tournament.

With a Seppun and a Togashi backing him up, the courtier Tonbo Shigeru is able to openly accuse Bayushi Iwao of cheating. The argument that follows is long, explosive, and hard to follow, but it ends with Iwao being shamed into leaving Winter Court. It's a pretty big win for the Dragonfly, but Iwao swears revenge as he leaves Kyuden Kobayashi.

As the final rounds draw near, the Monkey finally unveil the tournament's prize: an alien sword. Apparently, Monkey samurai in the Imperial Exploration Corps found it on the newly-discovered Barrier Reef, a mineral-rich ocean world in the distant Obsidian Expanse sector covered in alien ruins. It's an exquisite display of craftsmanship and a one-of-a-kind prize... but it's still alien technology, and nobody's quite sure how to react to it. Should it be condemned? Coveted? Is it suitable to use? A good conversation piece? Should it be destroyed?

Speculation and debate take over the Court for the next two days, bringing a lot of attention to the tournament but burying interest in how the actual duels go...

. . .

It's been long enough and you've done pretty well, so I'm comfortable with wrapping the Iaijutsu Tournament! I'll say that over the next couple days the tournament is decided with some obvious pick (a Crane grandmaster or something) and Anzu in the top spots, then it's up to you folks how you place. At this point you've done well enough that you'll be honored either way.

If there's someone you want to talk to or some more rolls you want to make while the tournament wraps, now's the time!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The rest of you indicated that you're not doing much and I'm done with my latest Kickstarter bullshit now. Time for a new adventure! :buddy:

But first, advancement. You get +25 XP! Also, I'm going to do something different for the rest: Based on how you feel your actions went, you may take anywhere between -0.5 to 0.5 Honor. You may also do the same with -1 to 1 Glory. Tell me what you choose and why, in OOC if nothing else.

. . .

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the ronin Anzu wins the tournament. A few of her stronger opponents found honorable excuses to bow out when they discovered what the prize was, but she earns the alien sword either way.

Everyone who bet on her makes good money. Everyone else wanders off to lament their lost earnings and gossip about the duelists. The duelists (you included!) enjoy a brief moment in the Winter Court limelight until the next morning, when a debate over whether a Scorpion taken hostage by the Phoenix can receive a life-saving cyber-skeleton in Phoenix care takes over the Court for twenty minutes and everyone stops talking about it.

Oh, and Imperial Chancellor Doji Higurashi tells Misuko that she can get her timeslot. There's a catch, but it's pretty simple: Higurashi has also heard of Choumaru the ghost play ronin, and Misuko is to tell her that the Chancellor requests one for the Court. It is pretty obvious that this isn't really a request. No rush though.

. . .

Crimson Tea Pavilion, City of the Smiling Tortoise, World of Dreams
9th Day of the Dog, 3122

The rest of the day is pretty standard: Bureaucracy, diplomacy, some interesting court drama. Bakami lets those ronin you arrested commit seppuku, bless her soft heart. The Crane and Lion get into an argument about gravity well shipping lane rights. That ashigaru you arrested is executed. A courtier spills his drink and it's extremely funny.

When the Court finally closes, you head out for dinner. The food courts of the Crimson Tea Pavilion have become the de facto hangout for small fry samurai: Minor Clan bushi and ronin are rubbing shoulders at the noodle stands and sake houses here, while most Great Clan courtiers are busy at fancier places down the street. It's a good place to unwind without worrying about keeping up appearances.

You find a nice open-air court with a view and settle down to eat, but you don't get to eat in peace for long. You hear the disturbance before you see it: people shouting, crashing noises, alarms going off. By the time it reaches your food court, someone's discharging a sidearm...

???

An alien beast barrels into the court, sending tables and ronin scattering. The horse-sized creature stops for a moment to taste the air with one of its alien tongues, and some nearby samurai have enough sense to try and shoot it. They can't get a good shot with the crowds around it though, and the creature runs them down with tooth and claw before turning and darting towards a nearby noodle stand. It leaps over the tables towards some unlucky ronin, jaws wide...

This is less a combat thing and more about how you react to this. Do you attack the creature, try to protect people, help the wounded, or something else? Striking down the creature without harming anyone is TN 30. If you fail, it gets a lucky attack or two in first.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

"Hroo?" the beast has just enough time to snap the mop with its jaw before Risuta discharges his sidearm into its head. It collapses in a spray of blue blood.

The target dusts herself off, looks at the beast, and picks her fifth bowl of noodles back up.

Anzu, Ronin Swordswoman

"I'm not sure what just happened, but thank you."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Anzu bows, then steps back under the barrage of Sword Questions. She has the alien one on her; it has an intricate and unfamiliar design on the hilt, but she's wrapped a cloth around it for now.

"The Toku said they couldn't see much special about it, and I trust them. But the creatures of the stars have some strange ways..." she tucks it away for now. "I have some offers for it so I hope this doesn't affect anything."

"Should I stay at a different inn tonight? I can deal with assassins and robots but not this..."

Since Kaihime introduced you as magistrates, Anzu will do what you ask of her! She made a deal with Kenji to impress the Crane enough to win a sword but he's almost certainly one of the samurai trying to buy it off her.

. . .

While you handle that, the wounded are tended to. The nearest healer was Asahina Ryokai, a Crane shugenja with intricately-carved cyber-arms that are almost never visible thanks to his kimono sleeves. He was smoking comet tobacco in a corner when the alien struck, and hasn't bothered to put it out before dealing with the injured.

"Be careful," he tells anyone who approaches the alien. "I'd wager this creature secretes an anaesthetic. Our wounded fellows here don't seem very responsive." He waves a hand in the face of one, who responds so slowly you barely notice. Half-asleep children move faster than this. "Nanobandages will fix the wounds, at least..."

. . .

Risuta glances over the dead alien. It doesn't appear to be tagged, but it has a few scars that look a little too neat to be natural and it's not one of this planet's native species. Someone must have brought it here...

If you don't have an appropriate Lore skill, there's probably an Alien Expert you can speak to in this city. If you want to move the body, let me know how you deal with it. (Don't make skin contact with the sharp bits and you're fine, probably).

Ettin fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 31, 2017

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Anzu bows hurriedly, under the assumption that if someone of higher status bows to her then she should bow slightly harder back.

"It would be an honor to have my sword guarded by a true Clan samurai. Here you go."

The sword is light in Kozue's hand, though it takes human hands a little bit to get used to the weights. If you twitch the cloth away, the light catches the sword in interesting ways...

Kozue can use Anzu's sword! If she wields it against an alien creature or someone employing alien tech, she gets +1k0 to damage.

. . .

Infinite Oregano and I talked about it and to save time, I'm going to say that Risuta knows a xenobiologist and you drag (or at least, have someone drag) the alien to them. Here we go!

If you want to do something else, feel free to post it and I'll deal with that.

You're in a food court full of samurai who want this alien the hell out of here, so it's not too hard to rustle up a tarpaulin and a vehicle. Asahina Ryokai has a couple assistants wrap it in the tarp, and an Ox samurai whose friend was one of the wounded offers to carry it there in a trailer attached to his motorcycle. Pretty soon you're pulling up...

... to a veterinary clinic. Risuta's contact is Usagi Haruo, a xenobiologist trained by some obscure Minor Clan in a distant sector, and his main business is treating the many strange creatures some courtiers keep as pets. Getting all up in some alien's guts for a living is weird even by Minor Clan standards, but the Hare are fine with it because his knowledge is useful for dealing with alien-worship cults. It looks like the Winter Court is bringing in a lot of business, though there are more Scorpion taking an interest in the clinic than you'd like. (A non-zero number of Scorpion.)

Risuta managed to call ahead, so he's already waiting in his protective gear with a couple of non-samurai assistants. While they relieve the Ox of the alien, Haruo bows to you.

Usagi Haruo, xenozoologist

"Hello. Don't worry, it's in good hands now. I'll see what I can find and you magistrates can take it from there."

"Oh, before I start, what kind of inspection are we talking? Are you just expecting scans or should I, you know, get in there?"

You should decide whether you want Haruo to get all up in its guts or not. You'll get what you need either way; saying yes is risky (and probably unsettling) but might pay off.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 26, 2017

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Choumaru's Place [Misuko]

It's been a while since you had a nice chat with Choumaru! You brought her here, so she's not hard to find—some of the ronin decided to stay at a capsule hotel a few blocks away from the Pavilion, and Choumaru's made herself comfortable in Room 107-2. She climbs out and bows when Misuko approaches.

Choumaru, Ronin Playwright

Bakami is acting as her patron for now, and it looks like the Toku gave her some clothes that don't look like she found them in a dumpster. Good.

"Good evening. How can this ronin help you?"

Choumaru listens intently to Misuko's explanation, then bows. If the thought of being ordered to perform for the Court alarms her, she doesn't show it.

"Thank you, Toki-sama. This ronin is unworthy, but... a play can be arranged. All that is required is time to write it." Choumaru thinks. "And some assistance. Much of this ronin's troupe is running the theater back in Nibui Mura. This ronin would not dream of asking a Clan samurai to sully herself by associating with a lowly ronin play, of course, but if you can suggest anyone it would be an honor, Toki-sama."

. . .

Kei

Kei does some multitasking and networks her way to some more information! The Tortoise know a lot about what goes on in the Imperial Exploration Corps through the Natsuya family, a shugenja family who basically exist to join the Corps and watch for threats. Here's what they got:

• Barrier Reef is an ocean world, discovered and settled only recently. It's mostly influenced by Chikushudo and Maigo no Musha. It has some large and dangerous xenofauna.
  • It's covered in the ruins of an extinct, amphibious alien race codenamed the Mizunin. They had pre-FTL technology about on par with the 2000s Diamond Empire and some interesting water magic.
  • The sword itself is mostly interesting for the alien materials used in its construction (that kept it sharp and powerful past the Mizunin's extinction) and the magic used to forge it.
  • It's a powerful sword, but the Natsuya studied it and determined it was safe. (So far, no Mizunin relics have been dangerous.)
  • The Exploration Corps eventually gifted it to the Monkey to reward a Fuzake Corps samurai who saved an exploration ship from Mizunin satellite debris. The Monkey could do what they wanted with it after.
  • Barrier Reef was eventually given to the Crane, who share the system it's in with the Phoenix. The Mantis found an excuse to blockade the world to try and make the Crane let them have it, though.

. . .

Usagi Haruo's Veterinary Clinic [Kei, Kozue, Risuta]

Haruo leads you to an observation room above the operating room, and looks down as his heimin assistants load the beast onto a table.

"What you're looking at here is a Barrier Reef Direspine. Vicious thing. Those spines can deliver a contact poison that paralyzes its prey. It's designed to work on Barrier Reef brains so it wears off on us faster, but I still wouldn't touch it. I can tell you it's probably been cybernetically enhanced before coming here, but let me confirm it..."

Haruo sits at a computer and scanners start to swivel around the thing. Haruo's screens are hard to read, but there's some sort of x-ray that shows cables and metal inside...

"Ah, thought so. It's been augmented. Mostly to help it survive offworld, but I'm seeing some kind of sensors. You see this bit? That's a spirit box. If you know what Realms touch an alien beast's world, you can use a Spirit Box to give it basic augs without studying its body as much. From what you said, I'm guessing someone rigged this thing up to be a hunter. The Hare have done that before, actually. It should have an access port..."

Haruo reaches for a button, pauses, and reaches for another one. A slower scanner kicks in.

"Make sure there are no surprises" are basically the magic words here, so well done!

"Oh, here we go. See this bit? By the spirit box, behind the left eye? Packed with volatiles. My guess is it'll blow the Direspine across the walls unless it gets the right access code. Someone doesn't want this thing studied."

This sounds like something a crime gang might do, to Kei. And anyone else who has dealt with criminal elements before, really.

Haruo heads for the operating room as the heimin wheel in a tray of surgical equipment and a plastic curtain. "...I think I can get it out. Should be able to track who did it. Give me ten minutes. If the Direspines are being directed to hunt the sword it should be no problem, right?"

. . .

A Tempura Stall Down The Street [Kaihime]

As soon as Kaihime mentions a meal, Anzu grins and basically drags her to a tempura stall down the street. "I had some food but I wasn't finished. When you're ronin you learn to eat every chance you get!"

Once you've got some food and shochu, she continues. "You asked about my training... a monastery, to be honest. Nice place in an asteroid belt. I helped guard it, and the ronin there taught me everything they knew. So did the ex-samurai monks. They taught me the Tao, too..." Anzu winks and lifts her drink. "Though I'm not as good at it as them, of course."

Above you, a Direspine peers out from the rooftops. As Kaihime notices the creature it slides off the roof and drops towards Anzu, claws outstretched...

Anzu only catches Kaihime's reaction. "It was a joke, Kaihime-san."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

The Direspine lands with a thump that shakes the tempura cart, and Kaihime's sword cleaves through one of its spines.

It roars and turns to focus on Kaihime. The two circle for a few seconds, but beasts don't do duels. It lunges as soon as it can, looking to chomp down...

Biting Kaihime: 6d10o10k4 26
Biting Kaihime: 4d10o10k3 6 Phew!

If that hit, Kaihime has to make a Stamina roll (TN 20) to resist its alien venom. If she fails, she's effectively Stunned for a while. If she passes, she's merely Fatigued.

Anzu recovers, draws her wakizashi, and rams it into the creature's back to buy Kaihime a few seconds. "Kaihime-san!"

Kaihime can go again, if she's not stunned! After that, the others can hear the roar and burst out of the clinic. If you do, you can spend this turn either opening fire or closing the distance with your sword. It won't take much more to finish it!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kaihime's second blow carves a line down its face, but it was already pretty angry so that doesn't change much. It swings its spiked tail at Anzu to keep her at bay, then lunges forward at Kaihime for the kill...

It has a penalty of +10 at this point, so:
Wounded Bite: 6d10o10k4 32
Luckily, that's a miss! Now anyone who moved within range earlier is free to attack it. If you can deal another ~30 damage, it's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Choumaru [Misuko]

Choumaru kneels. "Thank you, Toki-sama."

Misuko is now performing in Choumaru's play! The Ibis can probably help set the rest up.

. . .

Tempura Stall [The Rest]

The Direspine goes down in another spray of blue blood, which thankfully only hits the ronin.

Anzu wipes her face. "Blech."

Rather than make you roleplay waiting, I'll move ahead slightly to Haruo's results. Kaihime will feel woozy for a bit but can recover, and Misuko can meet up if she wants.

. . .

Usagi Haruo

By the time you clean up, calm the tempura stall owner, and drag the alien back to Haruo, he's ready. Kaihime is feeling a lot better, too.

"Here we go." Haruo has managed to cut into the first Direspine, disconnect the explosives, and jack into the creature's augs. Nobody needs to see the inside of its head, so he's covered it with a curtain. "I'm not too great at this part, but I managed to extract tracking data."

"It looks like they're being guided towards a particular samurai, not the sword... Can't tell you who, but I can see where they're coming from. They swam to our island from the Scorpion mainland, about... here."

Haruo puts his data on a holo-map. The Direspine came from a nearby dock district, out of a run-down Dojicorp warehouse...

You've got an origin point! You can case the area, gather info, get help, or just go kick the door down if you like.

• Locked thread