Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Which totally means we should get all pissy whenever somebody brings it up as a suggestion to GDQ.

Gamerofthegame posted:

a lot of ~drama~ is about how the charity event is being run

perhaps the people running GDQ are just shitheels or something and thus hate fun golf

A lot of people also think they should stop runners mid-run to tell them to tone it down.

Like I understand that some runners should be told but not mid run breaking up their concentration and delaying the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

A lot of people also think they should stop runners mid-run to tell them to tone it down.

Like I understand that some runners should be told but not mid run breaking up their concentration and delaying the run.
depends how bad it is. A couple of off-color jokes is one thing but that Crash guy definitely should have been told to take a deep breath.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Endorph posted:

depends how bad it is. A couple of off-color jokes is one thing but that Crash guy definitely should have been told to take a deep breath.

I suppose in his case yeah. It's just people want a warning given for almost anything remotely offensive.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Golden Goat posted:

I suppose in his case yeah. It's just people want a warning given for almost anything remotely offensive.

Good? You kinda have to be held to a standard when this much money is involved.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Spudd posted:

Good? You kinda have to be held to a standard when this much money is involved.

When a run is nothing but lovely jokes like GamePro011, give them a warning during the run.
When a runner makes one really bad joke give them a warning after about it.

I'm not saying never give them a warning/ban here, i'm saying you shouldn't just freeze a run after they make just one bad joke/comment. I'm saying they should have a system or something so they don't interfere too much with runs or scheduling while still dealing with problematic runners.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Golden Goat posted:

When a run is nothing but lovely jokes like GamePro011, give them a warning during the run.
When a runner makes one really bad joke give them a warning after about it.

Yeah that's fine

I just imagined trying to herd that many nerds with some of the egos I've seen can't be a pleasant experience and sometimes that may give someone in charge a short fuse

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Spudd posted:

Yeah that's fine

I just imagined trying to herd that many nerds with some of the egos I've seen can't be a pleasant experience and sometimes that may give someone in charge a short fuse

Oh god I may complain about how things are run but I feel bad for the committee having to manage such a massive group of people. They still do an amazing job.

If they put in a strike system for offensive comments I know there'll be one runner that the moment they get such a warning mid-run they'll just have a hissy fit and abandon the run.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I didn't know that the center of last years GDQ drama was the newlywed month long streamers. :v:

Just from the get go of "we're gonna stream nonstop for the first month of our marriage! We're 19!" It was just a matter of time until everything blew up spectacularly in their faces. Like I'm sure they're nice enough people, but they were barely out of high school, their frontal lobes were/are still mush, and they somehow came to a consensus that being internet beggars was A Good Idea.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
If they were willing to have a quiet word (through the headsets perhaps?) maybe the Hotline Miami commentary wouldn't have been such a horror show

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
a guy in the official chat posted something rly racist at darkspinessonic and the sofa crew and was ignored. as a test, i posted racist stuff as well and got no reaction. i asked if mods were present, they were. i asked if the runner is autistic and got chastised. lmao

http://pastebin.com/UE12ZrhM relevant lines are enclosed with dashes

Kikka fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 6, 2016

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Kikka posted:

a guy in the official chat posted something rly racist at darkspinessonic and the sofa crew and was ignored. as a test, i posted racist stuff as well and got no reaction. i asked if mods were present, they were. i asked if the runner is autistic and got chastised. lmao

good work

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
thank you sir

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bad/Racist/in poor taste jokes have to be taken extremely seriously in situations like this, not because it is PC, or because people might get offended, but because they are representing an actual charity by doing this fundraiser.

I work in Non profit administration and finance, and if one of our partners was making us look bad, no matter how much money they bring in, we'd be seriously pressed to sever ties with that partner.

Suicide is a huge health issue, and the GDQ crew are representing the American Cancer foundation, who are ostensibly a health organization. The GDQ people should be expected to conduct themselves with some level of professionalism, even though this is as much a showcase/entertainment piece as it is a fundraiser.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

The GDQ people should be expected to conduct themselves with some level of professionalism, even though this is as much a showcase/entertainment piece as it is a fundraiser.

It seems that almost everybody agrees with this and the GDQ team have already banned for such behavior. They just need much better response times to bad eggs.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Zat posted:

If you're curious to hear the man himself speak of this stuff, go to 00:14:50 in this video. It goes on for a while but all the really interesting stuff is probably within the first 20 minutes or so.

What he said sounds like what usually happens when a bunch of passive-aggressive nerds run things.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BTW Big Jon will be couch-commentating Battletoads today, scheduled for 3:13 PM EST. :)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I hope he starts talking about NES Golf then some staff/goons have to drag him out by his arms as he refuses to stop talking about golf. :patriot:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Croccers posted:

I hope he starts talking about NES Golf then some staff/goons have to drag him out by his arms as he refuses to stop talking about golf. :patriot:

It'd take a lot more than 2 goons.

Big Job is one big dude.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Bad/Racist/in poor taste jokes have to be taken extremely seriously in situations like this, not because it is PC, or because people might get offended, but because they are representing an actual charity by doing this fundraiser.

I work in Non profit administration and finance, and if one of our partners was making us look bad, no matter how much money they bring in, we'd be seriously pressed to sever ties with that partner.

Suicide is a huge health issue, and the GDQ crew are representing the American Cancer foundation, who are ostensibly a health organization. The GDQ people should be expected to conduct themselves with some level of professionalism, even though this is as much a showcase/entertainment piece as it is a fundraiser.

This is why I've said (probably for the last 3 events) that there should be some kind of pre-marathon meeting/presentation by the admins that all runners must attend in some form (I know not everyone shows up before the event starts. Maybe have a conference call or skype options) where the rules of decorum are explicitly laid out. Do this a month in advance (or however long might be needed to obtain alternates), make the runners sign an agreement stating they will adhere to the rules laid out, and tell them that if they have a problem with it or don't want to follow the rules of decorum then they are not allowed to participate.

I've never been a runner/couch member, nor even submitted a run so I have no idea what the interactions are actually like between the admins and the runners before the event. But it seems like there isn't a list of rules plainly laid out detailing what is expected from the runners. Most of the time it's fine. Most of the runners are just nerds who like their game and are nice normal people otherwise. But as we see with some runners (who are on the younger side, or hail from places like 4chan) the idea of playing to a general audience and not just your core audience is anathema to their very being.

So with PvtCb as an example, it seems like the kid submitted and was accepted. Then later the admins were alerted to his behavior as an edgelord and gave him a general "we're watching you so behave". After that he complained that they were targeting him and blah blah freeze peaches, but specifically didn't know where he was being "confined to" rules wise. He was just given a very general "Don't make terrible jokes during your run/the rest of the event". Clearly that can't be the way things work anymore. As much as PvtCb needed to be warned, there also needs to be an explicit set of rules to point to so his friends and him aren't just stuck on their run with no clue what to say. An older person, or someone with real experience performing will be able to more easily realize what is ok and what isn't, but this event isn't just full of people like that. So you have to help them out ahead of time by laying out the rules. That way they can find a comfort zone that's still entertaining, but acceptable to a general audience before the run, and not just shut down and avoid anything for fear of reprisal.

You need to explicitly sit people down and explain to them exactly what is expected of them ahead of time. You can't try and chase mice after they get out anymore. I also think it's a disservice to the runners you're selecting to have this vague question of "what's ok" hovering over their head. The rules are kind of all over the place and no one really knows where the line is. And that's not good for anyone. Layout out the rules for exactly what the content of the event will be helps both sides. It seems like the only rule for "too far" is if enough people complain, and that's a bad system to have for both the runner and the admins. If there isn't a hard set of rules to follow then there isn't anything for the admins to point at when people complain unduly and go "he was well within the rules we laid out, stop complaining".

That turned out a bit long, but I think GDQ seriously needs to lock down a community manager before something big happens live during an event. This is clearly an area where there isn't enough control being exercised and that's a recipe for disaster.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I've seen Big Jon run golf numerous times, it's actually pretty impressive and even if you found it boring he's charming enough to make it entertaining.

Edit: Not enough drama. I actually stopped watching his stream because numerous times he would brag about his education and all these sweet government jobs/contracts he has where he barely works and making all sorts of bank and he was still asking for donations.

Kikka posted:

Yea, all the racist/sexist/gender spam in the twitch chat and I jokingly mentioned adblock once and got permanently banned. The .002 cents or whatever I'm screwing them out of didn't compare to what I was actually donating to them. It's petty but I stopped donating after that, I can just donate elsewhere and not feel bad.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 6, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I think after the huge amount of drama last year with the Subchat/Freechat they just gave up and are letting Twitch chat do it's thing, other than a few blacklisted words and outright spam.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Paul Zuvella posted:

Suicide is a huge health issue, and the GDQ crew are representing the American Cancer foundation, who are ostensibly a health organization.
Minor nitpick but they actually represent the Prevent Cancer Foundation instead, which is a source of endless salt since nobody's heard of it before GDQ. People are generally not really familiar with them aside from whatever canned blurb the marathon has been reading so that's another common source of griping and mistrust. Of course, they never used to raise a MILLION DOLLARS so their priorities were different about what charity to support. They did mention once or twice that they do re-evaluate that from time to time so I don't think they're locked into PCF forever.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
GDQ drama is good

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

CrashCat posted:

Minor nitpick but they actually represent the Prevent Cancer Foundation instead, which is a source of endless salt since nobody's heard of it before GDQ. People are generally not really familiar with them aside from whatever canned blurb the marathon has been reading so that's another common source of griping and mistrust. Of course, they never used to raise a MILLION DOLLARS so their priorities were different about what charity to support. They did mention once or twice that they do re-evaluate that from time to time so I don't think they're locked into PCF forever.

I have never personally donated to PCF but I'm of the opinion that any time a goon starts ranting about how bad they are that such posts must also include a recent donation receipt with the MSF. Because that bullshit happens ever year and it's always really dumb since the guy wouldn't be donating anyway let's not kid ourselves.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I have never personally donated to PCF but I'm of the opinion that any time a goon starts ranting about how bad they are that such posts must also include a recent donation receipt with the MSF. Because that bullshit happens ever year and it's always really dumb since the guy wouldn't be donating anyway let's not kid ourselves.

Wait is PCF a bad charity or something? I've never really bothered looking into them.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Crain posted:

Wait is PCF a bad charity or something? I've never really bothered looking into them.

arguable, and at this point there's a sizable group of jaded gdq (ex-)audience/attendee/runner people with a chip on their shoulder against PCF (or at least GDQ's choice of PCF) so you have to look at info you find carefully

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Yea, all the racist/sexist/gender spam in the twitch chat and I jokingly mentioned adblock once and got permanently banned. The .002 cents or whatever I'm screwing them out of didn't compare to what I was actually donating to them. It's petty but I stopped donating after that, I can just donate elsewhere and not feel bad.

Wouldn't be surprised if they got a strongly worded warning from twitch a few years back when they explicitly told people, on the SDA website, to install adblock to avoid stream ads.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

TheQat posted:

arguable, and at this point there's a sizable group of jaded gdq (ex-)audience/attendee/runner people with a chip on their shoulder against PCF (or at least GDQ's choice of PCF) so you have to look at info you find carefully

Meh. Most people are really bad at understanding the realities of how charities operate so I basically ignore any complaints of ":qq: but CHARITY XZY is bad with money because the CEO get's paid and only <100% of the revenue is sent directly to blahblahblah :qq:". Even with groups like Susan G. Komen I ignore complaints about their practices.

I donate to both PCF and MSF since being introduced to GDQ events, or at least buy a shirt or two from the yetee.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Crain posted:

They get a B+ from Charity Watch so they're not the greatest but they're certainly not terrible.

https://www.charitywatch.org/ratings-and-metrics/prevent-cancer-foundation/146

American Cancer Society gets poo poo from Charity Watch for the really high amount of money they give to executives apparently.

https://www.charitywatch.org/articles-and-media/american-cancer-society/111

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Speedrunners are children.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I think the main issue people have with PCF is that only a very small portion of the donations are used to actually fund cancer research. Most of what they do is hand out brochures or tell people to wear more sunscreen or whatever.

IIRC last year's AGDQ was the first time any of the money was directly attributed to cancer research. Something like 150k of the roughly million and a half the event raised. That left some folks a bit jaded.

Black Balloon fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 6, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Black Balloon posted:

I think the main issue people have with PCF is that only a very small portion of the donations are used to actually fund cancer research. Most of what they do is hand out brochures or tell people to wear more sunscreen or whatever.

Well that's to help prevent cancer sooooo

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I think after the huge amount of drama last year with the Subchat/Freechat they just gave up and are letting Twitch chat do it's thing, other than a few blacklisted words and outright spam.

Good. The whole subchat thing as stupid. It's interesting though how Twitch chat as a whole has changed over the years. A year or two ago anything goes chats like imagtpie and kripp used to be the exceptions, but now it's the norm. People complaining that chat was moving too fast with 100k people have always been idiots though.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

What PCF does is right in the name, yep.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Cowman posted:

No argument here. Some people just complain it's ineffective, but it is what they do, so, eh

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Black Balloon posted:

And this is why I don't listen to complaints about charities. People love to go "But we all know cancer is a thing, who gives a gently caress about "awareness" campaings~~~meyhhh~~~" when the reality is that people are loving morons. People don't know that sun exposure is a major cancer risk. Hell, it's only recently that people are waking up to the reality that tanning beds seriously need to be regulated and children need to be warned against excessive tanning. Hell, really even any tanning.

Direct funding for scientific and medical research are only make up a fraction of the activities that are needed for things like cancer prevention.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Healbot posted:

What PCF does is right in the name, yep.

yea telling people to put out sunscreen and giving out brochures and education poo poo about cancer seems like something you'd do to prevent cancer :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Cowman posted:

To play devil's advocate, they don't exactly go out of their way to correct all the people who are donating money under the impression that their money goes towards research. It's also a bit odd that what is a pretty international event at this point is fundraising for a charity that only operates in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

CJ posted:

To play devil's advocate, they don't exactly go out of their way to correct all the people who are donating money under the impression that their money goes towards research. It's also a bit odd that what is a pretty international event at this point is fundraising for a charity that only operates in the US.

I was specifically talking about PCF and not AGDQ's involvement or anything like that. I don't really mind them not correcting it (because of what Crain mentioned about people being loving idiots about cancer they probably wouldn't donate if they said it wasn't all going to research) but not specifying that it's an American thing is kinda lovely :\

• Locked thread