Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

quote:

The demise of the smartphone is inevitable, and necessary
Ed Fernandez, an early stage venture capitalist and a member of the CNBC-YPO Chief Executive Network

Smartphones coupled with mobile services and apps (mobile ecosystems) have been the protagonists of the latest disruption tide for well over a decade. The smartphone industry accounted for more than $380 billion in revenue last year and more than 1.2 billion devices sold. IDC expects the market to grow to $451 billion annually by 2018.

Yet despite these extraordinary numbers, and despite the fact that there are an estimated 8 billion smartphones still to hit the market in the next 5 years, this industry is technically over.

The smartphone market has reached maturity, and year-over-year growth is declining gradually, with manufacturers working with cut-throat margins and one single player monopolizing gains, seizing an estimated 93 percent of industry profits, according to investment firm Cannacord Genuity.

No need to guess—just look around you. Most likely, you have one or more Apple devices on your desk or in your pockets. When a technology goes over 50 percent penetration, the remaining audience is composed of a late majority of followers and laggards. This is the technology version of the bell curve.

In other words, with smartphone penetration well over 70 percent in more developed countries like the U.S., the saturation point was exceeded a long time ago, and the 8 billion in shipments to happen in the next 5 years are driven by emerging markets. The move to less penetrated explains why Chinese smartphone giant Xiaomi is now valued at $45 billion and expected to pursue an IPO. It also explains shorter product life cycles with little incremental innovation, and that implies less profit. If you wondered why Apple is moving quickly into wearables with the Apple Watch, this should help explain that move.

What Apple and Blackberry have in common

I've been myself involved in the mobile industry for nearly two decades (with Nokia and BlackBerry). This is what has happened:
From a software perspective, operating systems turned competition into a mobile ecosystems war, which ended in a duopoly—Google's Android capturing a majority of the volume, and Apple's iOS taking the profits.

The Apple case is ironic. The iPhone leveraged carrier distribution and the telecom services industry despite being their biggest "over the top" (OTT) services disintermediator. Services have been the ultimate disruptor, driving adoption, smartphone penetration and, ultimately, dragging sales of hardware with them. Apple is today's example; BlackBerry was a pioneer with this asymmetric model—service and user experience first—driving device preference after.

In its very early days, BlackBerry didn't even have intentions to get into the hardware business. The company originally engineered the messaging service, but there were no keyboard devices to support it. BlackBerry's messaging proposition evolved into the incredibly popular mobile push email, which Wall Street embraced, ultimately buying anti-fashion qwerty devices as a necessary "accident" to have real-time email. It turned into a phenomenal hardware business for BlackBerry, fostered by carrier-driven sales of push email services embedded in their data plans.

Apple and many others follow the same pattern.

Think of smartphones as the entry point to the online world. Now, wouldn't it be better, easier and more convenient to access your digital world without the constraints of a small screen?
Everything outside the realm of your smartphone's touchscreen now constitutes the domain of disruption for this industry. To put it bluntly, our heads can't continue down-staring at our screens. Something must be done to fix this, and the basic technologies to do it are already there.

Early signs can be seen even embedded in your device already.
Siri, Microsoft's Cortana and Google Now are voice portals replacing screen access and typing. These are actually NLP (natural language processing) and A.I. technologies combined in the cloud.
Smartphones have started talking and displaying information to TVs, projectors and now to smartwatches and wearables.
Furthermore, we have now smart glasses and head-mounted displays (Microsoft Hololens, Magic Leap, Facebook's Oculus Rift) capable of displaying virtual images blended with our natural view of the physical world. These devices can also understand gestures.
All indicates we will be using our voice instead of typing, and we will be interacting with images well outside the limitations of today's smartphone screens.

The quest for the A.I. guardian angel

What will the next disruptive device look like?

We can guesstimate where it will be in the near term: at the intersection of smart eyeware with powerful augmented reality display and advanced voice-recognition capabilities. And couple that with wireless earbuds, as well as with other wearable apparel equipped with sensors all over our body.

But more important than any of these pieces of hardware, services in this new smart-wearable context will be delivered through new access points—voice and gestures. Access determines (and defines) hardware, but the key element gluing all this together and managing how humans interact with this new mobile computing platform is artificial intelligence.

If you Google "virtual assistant," you'll get around 18 million entries, and you'll struggle browsing results endlessly to find even the first reference to a truly artificial virtual assistant. It means we are still far from a practical experience, like in the movie "Her."

Whoever gets that A.I. guardian angel operating system to work seamlessly with humans will disrupt the disruptors and will take control over the wearable hardware, which ultimately will need to bend to its (proprietary) specifications or be left out of the service proposition.
Jay Samit, author of "Disrupt Yourself," said, "Disruption causes vast sums of money to flow from existing businesses and business models to new entrants."

Let's do some quick and dirty math. In the scenario we have pictured here, considering the smartphone industry represents a conservatively estimated $350 billion per year in revenue, there is potential to disrupt $1.75 trillion over the course of the next 5 years—big-time for venture capitalists.

—By Ed Fernandez, an early stage venture capitalist, start-up investor and a member of the CNBC-YPO Chief Executive Network. Fernandez is a member of the advisory board at Daedalus, a big data, predictive analytics and NLP (natural language processing) company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tl;dr

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

he sounds like a propa crank, bo selecta

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be completely honest there's nothing I need a smartphone for except the GPS app and playing music in my car, so really if they just sold car GPS's that ran Android and cost like $50 a month for a dataplan I'd never need to carry a stupid heavy phone again. Plus technically speaking the last lovely Java phone I had technically fufilled those needs.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I read a bit and he's pretty much wrong

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

what about shitposting? ho w do u shitpost on apple glass hmm??

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I did not read the long gay rear end article in the OP

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

investor in company working on virtual assistant technology says virtual assistants will make smartphones unnecessary somehow.

quote:

—By Ed Fernandez, an early stage venture capitalist, start-up investor and a member of the CNBC-YPO Chief Executive Network. Fernandez is a member of the advisory board at Daedalus, a big data, predictive analytics and NLP (natural language processing) company.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

didnt read

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bloody posted:

didnt read

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bloody posted:

didnt read

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Management posted:

investor in company working on virtual assistant technology says virtual assistants will make smartphones unnecessary somehow.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I read a bit and he's pretty much wrong

Me, reading ur posts!!!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

It sounds like he's mad mad mad that the stock won't churn out 8 billion percent returns any more and has no idea that people sometimes buy products that they like

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ok google, shitpost

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

didnt read

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i don't get what he's trying to say. electricity, inner plumbing, the internet, etc also reached saturation and yet they're not going away. but then again i'm an idiot, not a venture capitalist looking for the next big thing™ with 8000% roi or whatever

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
a momentous shift in pie fashion

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Suspicious posted:

i don't get what he's trying to say. electricity, inner plumbing, the internet, etc also reached saturation and yet they're not going away. but then again i'm an idiot, not a venture capitalist looking for the next big thing™ with 8000% roi or whatever

actually you get what he's trying to say perfectly.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gas

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Suspicious posted:

let me help you understand: venture capitalists will say literally anything to pump up the valuation of their investments. it doesn't even need to make sense.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

let me help you understand: venture capitalists will say literally anything to pump up the valuation of their investments. it doesn't even need to make sense.

Meet The Magical New iPhone Duo. The iPhone for your other pocket.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
good poo poo op, which i did not read

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
the second derivative is slightly below zero alert the queen and wrap it up

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

everything dies. all things are pointless.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i use my iphone a lot for trying to find a woman desperate enough to sleep with an already happily married man and also twitter

although in saying that I do use an iphone 4 ESS which doesnt require over a trillion dollars worth of disruption

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I really don't want to talk to my smart-phone, especially in public.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

maniacdevnull posted:

Me, reading ur posts!!!

:negative:

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
I read a chunk of it and I cannot understand a goddamn thing he is trying to say. Also, since when is iPhone the only smartphone? ... Last I checked Android had significantly more market share.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

General Tofu posted:

I read a chunk of it and I cannot understand a goddamn thing he is trying to say. Also, since when is iPhone the only smartphone? ... Last I checked Android had significantly more market share.

apple is pretty much just a smartphone company these days. the ipad, the watch, the app store and itunes are just things they do to support the iphone or try to extend it's tech into new growth sectors. they'd probably spin off the mac business if they didn't rely on it for dev tools for their ios business

apple aren't going to go bankrupt anytime soon but if they don't find new lines of business their growth is over and that's going to kill them as phone sales level off. the delta between the iphone 3gs and the iphone 4 is larger than the delta between the iphone 5 and the iphone 6s. the 6s is faster and bigger sure, but there's basically nothing you can do with a 6s you couldn't do with a 5. nothing that drives sales at least. apple is running out of ways to drive new sales of phones. what can a 7 offer that a 6s can't? maybe a slightly longer battery life? a slightly more scratch resistant screen?

the threat to apple isn't that people will stop using phones it's that they'll stop buying them quite so often

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the poo poo about digital personal assistants is garbage tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the talent deficit posted:

the threat to apple isn't that people will stop using phones it's that they'll stop buying them quite so often

which is the most sensible thing in the world

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

there's basically nothing you can do with a 6s you couldn't do with a 5. nothing that drives sales at least.

apple pay, that's about it, but they can make pretty good money off of it

i still think they're gonna buy amex or something

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

but there's basically nothing you can do with a 6s you couldn't do with a 5.

touchid, force touch

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

they'd probably spin off the mac business if they didn't rely on it for dev tools for their ios business
hwat

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

apple is pretty much just a smartphone company these days. the ipad, the watch, the app store and itunes are just things they do to support the iphone or try to extend it's tech into new growth sectors. they'd probably spin off the mac business if they didn't rely on it for dev tools for their ios business

apple aren't going to go bankrupt anytime soon but if they don't find new lines of business their growth is over and that's going to kill them as phone sales level off. the delta between the iphone 3gs and the iphone 4 is larger than the delta between the iphone 5 and the iphone 6s. the 6s is faster and bigger sure, but there's basically nothing you can do with a 6s you couldn't do with a 5. nothing that drives sales at least. apple is running out of ways to drive new sales of phones. what can a 7 offer that a 6s can't? maybe a slightly longer battery life? a slightly more scratch resistant screen?

there is no reason for them to spin off mac when it's extremely profitable for them. they took home 45% of the PC markets entire profit on 7% of sales in 2013. they have basically the entire market cornered on machines over $1000. they're the only computer manufacturer with growth in the market. the mac isn't as big of a market or money maker as the iphone or ipad but it's supremely profitable.

they're moving into ipads and watches from the phone because they've invested into making their own silicon and so are able to move into markets using similar hardware with great scaling and, again, turn a large profit, something which no one else in any of those markets is doing.

they know what drives sales: a combination of new markets and consistently dominating the only profitable parts of those markets. they've also, in only 5 years, gone from nothing to making a SoC that out performs intel low to mid range chips while managing to keep power and heat down to the point where they're able to effectively use that power in handsets and tablets without the huge throttling issues other mobile chipsets face. wherever mobile computing goes they have a gigantic step up on every other hardware manufacturer that is basically insurmountable unless they actively start sabotaging themselves.

thnaks timb.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Stux posted:

there is no reason for them to spin off mac when it's extremely profitable for them. they took home 45% of the PC markets entire profit on 7% of sales in 2013. they have basically the entire market cornered on machines over $1000. they're the only computer manufacturer with growth in the market. the mac isn't as big of a market or money maker as the iphone or ipad but it's supremely profitable.

they're moving into ipads and watches from the phone because they've invested into making their own silicon and so are able to move into markets using similar hardware with great scaling and, again, turn a large profit, something which no one else in any of those markets is doing.

they know what drives sales: a combination of new markets and consistently dominating the only profitable parts of those markets. they've also, in only 5 years, gone from nothing to making a SoC that out performs intel low to mid range chips while managing to keep power and heat down to the point where they're able to effectively use that power in handsets and tablets without the huge throttling issues other mobile chipsets face. wherever mobile computing goes they have a gigantic step up on every other hardware manufacturer that is basically insurmountable unless they actively start sabotaging themselves.

thnaks timb.

the mac line is less than 15% of their business and is only that high because ipad sales are cratering (down 20% year over year) and the watch was a bust

again, i am not saying apple is going to go bankrupt or fail but they are seriously vulnerable if their phone business stumbles. it absolutely dwarfs every other revenue stream they have. all it takes is for another asian economic crisis (40% of their iphone revenue) or consumers to keep their phones an extra 12 months on average (~40% drop in revenue) and apple are suddenly in trouble

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
smartphone penetration

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the mac line is less than 15% of their business and is only that high because ipad sales are cratering (down 20% year over year) and the watch was a bust

again, i am not saying apple is going to go bankrupt or fail but they are seriously vulnerable if their phone business stumbles. it absolutely dwarfs every other revenue stream they have. all it takes is for another asian economic crisis (40% of their iphone revenue) or consumers to keep their phones an extra 12 months on average (~40% drop in revenue) and apple are suddenly in trouble

i wasn't saying mac was a huge part of their business only that spinning it off or whatever would be absolutely pointless when it is still extremely profitable.

im p sure apple are also aware of this and working on other streams. part of this is stuff like the ipad, ATV and watch, devices which share similarities to the iphone and can use the same silicon and code base but won't ever hit the same volumes as iphone. diversifying into multiple niches they can corner by using their unique position as both a hardware and software developer rather than relying on a single large product seems to be where they're heading currently rather than trying to create a new ipod/iphone level phenomenon which would be a disaster if it didn't take off. it also gives them extra flexibility to move with the market in mobile/wearables/whatever else. again this is part of the reason why they have been pushing so hard on getting the A series chips up to speed so quickly rather than using stock parts like android. whatever the next big thing is will certainly be based around the tech used in phones and tablets and apple have always been best at coming into an already existing market and dominating it rather than creating entirely new devices. this again lessens their risk by giving them time to gauge the market and then enter with a high end product.

the ipod wasn't the first mp3 player, the iphone wasn't the first smart phone, the ipad wasn't the first tablet, the watch wasn't the first smart watch, and whatever else they move into will almost certainly be a refinement of an existing product that benefits from their integration of hardware and software rather than an entirely new product line no one else has attempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Stux_gimmick=1 pls

• Locked thread