Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome earthlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2014, refer to archives]

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

CURRENT: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome

This one's a real favorite of mine and I'm honestly surprised I hadn't already made it a BOTM by now.

Basically the Victorian-era novelization of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

It's free on kindle here: http://www.amazon.com/Three-Men-Boat-Jerome-Klapka-ebook/dp/B004UJL1KK

First chapter (and, well, the rest of it too) free online in-browser here: http://www.readbookonline.net/read/2463/11546/

quote:

Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) published in 1889, is a humorous account by English writer Jerome K. Jerome of a two-week boating holiday on the Thames from Kingston upon Thames to Oxford and back to Kingston. The book was initially intended to be a serious travel guide,[1] with accounts of local history along the route, but the humorous elements took over to the point where the serious and somewhat sentimental passages seem a distraction to the comic novel. One of the most praised things about Three Men in a Boat is how undated it appears to modern readers – the jokes seem fresh and witty even today.[2]

Selected quotes:

quote:

THERE were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency. We were sitting in my room, smoking, and talking about how bad we were - bad from a medical point of view I mean, of course.

We were all feeling seedy, and we were getting quite nervous about it. Harris said he felt such extraordinary fits of giddiness come over him at times, that he hardly knew what he was doing; and then George said that HE had fits of giddiness too, and hardly knew what HE was doing.

“With me, it was my liver that was out of order. […] I had the symptoms, beyond all mistake, the chief among them being "a general disinclination to work of any kind."
What I suffer in that way no tongue can tell. From my earliest infancy I have been a martyr to it. As a boy, the disease hardly ever left me for a day. They did not know, then, that it was my liver. Medical science was in a far less advanced state than now, and they used to put it down to laziness.”

quote:

I called for the cheeses, and took them away in a cab. It was a ramshackle affair, dragged along by a knock-kneed, broken-winded somnambulist, which his owner, in a moment of enthusiasm, during conversation, referred to as a horse. I put the cheeses on the top, and we started off at a shamble that would have done credit to the swiftest steam-roller ever built, and all went merry as a funeral bell, until we turned the corner. There, the wind carried a whiff from the cheeses full on to our steed. It woke him up, and, with a snort of terror, he dashed off at three miles an hour. The wind still blew in his direction, and before we reached the end of the street he was laying himself out at the rate of nearly four miles an hour, leaving the cripples and stout old ladies simply nowhere.

For a review:

# 25 on the Guardian's list of 100 Best Novels.

quote:

An ancient river. The journey upstream of some impressionable young men into a mysterious, challenging interior. An inevitable reckoning at the source. Finally, the terrible return to reality. Here, surely, is pre-Edwardian English fiction at its classic finest.

But this is not Heart of Darkness, and the river is not the Congo. Actually, it's the Thames, and the narrator is not Marlow but J, or Jerome, K Jerome. Published in 1889, 10 years before Conrad's novel, Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog), is one of the comic gems in the English language. An accidental one, too. "I did not intend to write a funny book, at first," said its author.

Humour in literature is often not taken as seriously as it deserves. Nevertheless, there are a few seriously funny books that remain great for all time. Three Men in a Boat is one of these. Ostensibly the tale of three city clerks on a boating trip, an account that sometimes masquerades, against its will, as a travel guide, Three Men in a Boat hovers somewhere between a shaggy-dog story and episodes of late-Victorian farce.

. . .

Jerome sold book publication rights to the Bristol publisher, JW Arrowsmith, who had been having a big success with a three-and-sixpenny single-volume series (including work by Arthur Conan Doyle and Anthony Hope), a new phenomenon which had begun to supplant the great Victorian "three-decker" novels. The Education Act of 1870 had created a new mass readership, and Jerome was eager to reach this new audience. On publication, however, it seemed as if his cunning marketing plans had gone awry. He had not allowed for the critics.

Jerome's fascination with bank clerks and "the lower orders" was denounced up and down. "One might have imagined," he later wrote in My Life and Times, "that the British Empire was in danger. The Standard spoke of me as a menace to English letters; and the Morning Post as an example of the sad results to be expected from the over-education of the lower orders…"

To be specific, the reviews ranged from the vitriolic to the merely hostile. The use of slang was condemned as "vulgar" and the book as a whole abused as a shameless appeal to "'Arrys and 'Arriets" – sneering critical terms for working-class Londoners. The magazine Punch dubbed Jerome K Jerome "'Arry K 'Arry".

Typically, the reading public paid absolutely no attention. Three Men in a Boat went on selling in vast numbers, defying gravity. It was also promptly pirated by unscrupulous American publishers. In Britain, Arrowsmith told a friend: "I pay Jerome so much in royalties, I cannot imagine what becomes of all the copies of that book I issue. I often think the public must eat them."

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/mar/10/100-best-novels-three-men-boat-jerome

About the Author

Jerome Klapka Jerome (2 May 1859 – 14 June 1927) was an English writer and humourist, best known for the comic travelogue Three Men in a Boat (1889).

Other works include the essay collections Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow (1886) and Second Thoughts of an Idle Fellow; Three Men on the Bummel, a sequel to Three Men in a Boat; and several other novels.

Discussion, Questions & Themes:

This isn't an especially "literary" book but it's still worth discussing, apart from just being funny; if nothing else, it's an interesting slice-of-life perspective on Victorian society. It's a genre nobody really writes any more -- the travelogue -- which has mostly been replaced by TV shows. (There's a through-line connecting this book with Ricky Gervais' An Idiot Abroad, in more ways than one).

Pacing

This one's short. Just Read, Then Post.

References and Further Reading

Some people around here may have read sci-fi author Connie Willis's books -- she's won eleven Hugo awards and seven Nebulas. Her novel To Say Nothing of the Dog, which won both the Hugo and Lcous awards in 1999, is essentially a long extended time-travel riff on the events, style, and tone of Three Men in a Boat.

Final Note:
If you have any suggestions to change, improve or assess the book club generally, please PM or email me -- i.e., keep it out of this thread -- at least until into the last five days of the month, just so we don't derail discussion of the current book with meta-discussion. I do want to hear new ideas though, seriously, so please do actually PM or email me or whatever, or if you can't do either of those things, just hold that thought till the last five days of the month before posting it in this thread. Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
If you do decide to get the Project Gutenberg edition, please note that it (and possibly other free ebook editions) don't have the final section, a Christmas ghost story. It's a fairly good conclusion to the book as a whole, if we look at it as a depiction of the tail end of Victorian England.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Effectronica posted:

If you do decide to get the Project Gutenberg edition, please note that it (and possibly other free ebook editions) don't have the final section, a Christmas ghost story. It's a fairly good conclusion to the book as a whole, if we look at it as a depiction of the tail end of Victorian England.

I honestly didn't know that existed. Link? I've read two different physical editions, plus ebook variants, and I've never seen any chapter like that!

See this sort of thing is why BOTM is worth doing

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I honestly didn't know that existed. Link? I've read two different physical editions, plus ebook variants, and I've never seen any chapter like that!

See this sort of thing is why BOTM is worth doing

It seems that the edition I had as a kid had the short story "Christmas Eve in the Blue Chamber" appended to it, without noting this in the contents. Damnably, the first 250 results on Amazon don't show this edition at all, and it's long since fallen apart.

EDIT: Actually, looking further, it bound together Three Men in a Boat with the collection of short stories Told After Supper, of which the full text can be found here: http://www.fullbooks.com/Told-After-Supper.html. But, weirdly, Project Gutenberg only has an audio recording. Leaving aside the editorial weirdness of binding the book with anything other than its sequel, of course.

mod edit: I fixed the trailing period in your url

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 4, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That does seem to be a very odd combination, yes. I have it bundled with the whatsitsname sequel about Germany, don't think I've ever seen it with anything else.

This book, I feel, is a decisive victory of style over substance - travelogues generally try to hook readers with promises of interesting and peculiar locales and it's hard to imagine a more boring premise for one than boating in Victorian England. There's really no story past a bunch of vaguely connected episodes, there's no character development, there's no promise of it ever going anywhere fulfilling. But. But it's just too drat funny.

The point I'm clumsily trying to come to here is the message I'd like to think it conveys: finding the extraordinary in the mundane. Looking out into the grey, boring a world and seeing past it, spotting all those absurd little details that form the big picture - and laughing at them.
It's a very warm, friendly, relaxing book. Something I'd love to curl in front of a fireplace with. If I, y'know, had a fireplace.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There are very few things where I find it very hard to imagine that someone might not enjoy something. There are few things that get anywhere close to being even slightly universal; but the story of Uncle Podger trying to put up a painting is one of them.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

This isn't an especially "literary" book but it's still worth discussing, apart from just being funny; if nothing else, it's an interesting slice-of-life perspective on Victorian society. It's a genre nobody really writes any more -- the travelogue -- which has mostly been replaced by TV shows. (There's a through-line connecting this book with Ricky Gervais' An Idiot Abroad, in more ways than one).

Yeah: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Men_in_a_Boat_%28TV_series%29 I don't think they have a dog though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

No aspect of this makes sense, but especially not the five sequels

Replicating the actual trip itself might be the silliest thing possible. Or was that the point?

Unless they re-enacted the pineapple tin scene. Did they re-enact the pineapple tin scene?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Here is a good blog post about the book with pictures of the spots on the river that they visit.

http://beholdthestars.blogspot.com/2015/02/three-men-in-boat-to-say-nothing-of-dog.html

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Some people around here may have read sci-fi author Connie Willis's books -- she's won eleven Hugo awards and seven Nebulas. Her novel To Say Nothing of the Dog, which won both the Hugo and Lcous awards in 1999, is essentially a long extended time-travel riff on the events, style, and tone of Three Men in a Boat.

I actually reread that recently, and the protagonists of this book make a cameo appearance in Willis's book.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

No aspect of this makes sense, but especially not the five sequels

Replicating the actual trip itself might be the silliest thing possible. Or was that the point?

Unless they re-enacted the pineapple tin scene. Did they re-enact the pineapple tin scene?

I don't think they re-enacted it like that! Just three blokes rowing about and saying/doing more or less humorous things.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

House Louse posted:

I don't think they re-enacted it like that! Just three blokes rowing about and saying/doing more or less humorous things.

OK I will watch sounds good

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I read this some time ago, after first reading "To Say Nothing of the Dog" and wondering what it was inspired by. This is a great book and quite timeless.

I'm just wondering: was the novel's succes because of the harsh criticism? I.e. people read it because it was everything the critics disliked?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Walh Hara posted:

I read this some time ago, after first reading "To Say Nothing of the Dog" and wondering what it was inspired by. This is a great book and quite timeless.

I'm just wondering: was the novel's succes because of the harsh criticism? I.e. people read it because it was everything the critics disliked?

Good question and I don't know the answer but I suspect it was the other way around -- critical backlash against a non traditional but very popular work.

I mean honestly this book shouldn't work at all. Silly putty has more structure and organization. It's just so funny it doesn't matter.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I could spend the next 150 pages quoting this book beginning to end, but there is one particular bit that had me giggling and weeping hysterically to myself when I was supposed to be working at my desk. If you haven't read the book, don't read what follows. It doesn't work as well out of context and spoils a huge punchline. If you have, there might not be much point in reading again, now that I think about it, but goddamnit here you go:

quote:

I rather pride myself on my packing. Packing is one of those many things that I feel I know more about than any other person living. (It surprises me myself, sometimes, how many of these subjects there are.) I impressed the fact upon George and Harris, and told them that they had better leave the whole matter entirely to me. They fell into the suggestion with a readiness that had something uncanny about it. George put on a pipe and spread himself over the easy-chair, and Harris cocked his legs on the table and lit a cigar.

This was hardly what I intended. What I had meant, of course, was, that I should boss the job, and that Harris and George should potter about under my directions, I pushing them aside every now and then with, “Oh, you – !” “Here, let me do it.” “There you are, simple enough!” – really teaching them, as you might say. Their taking it in the way they did irritated me. There is nothing does irritate me more than seeing other people sitting about doing nothing when I’m working.

I lived with a man once who used to make me mad that way. He would loll on the sofa and watch me doing things by the hour together, following me round the room with his eyes, wherever I went. He said it did him real good to look on at me, messing about. He said it made him feel that life was not an idle dream to be gaped and yawned through, but a noble task, full of duty and stern work. He said he often wondered now how he could have gone on before he met me, never having anybody to look at while they worked.

Now, I’m not like that. I can’t sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It is my energetic nature. I can’t help it.

However, I did not say anything, but started the packing. It seemed a longer job than I had thought it was going to be; but I got the bag finished at last, and I sat on it and strapped it.

“Ain’t you going to put the boots in?” said Harris.

And I looked round, and found I had forgotten them. That’s just like Harris. He couldn’t have said a word until I’d got the bag shut and strapped, of course. And George laughed – one of those irritating, senseless, chuckle-headed, crack-jawed laughs of his. They do make me so wild.

I opened the bag and packed the boots in; and then, just as I was going to close it, a horrible idea occurred to me. Had I packed my tooth- brush? I don’t know how it is, but I never do know whether I’ve packed my tooth-brush.

My tooth-brush is a thing that haunts me when I’m travelling, and makes my life a misery. I dream that I haven’t packed it, and wake up in a cold perspiration, and get out of bed and hunt for it. And, in the morning, I pack it before I have used it, and have to unpack again to get it, and it is always the last thing I turn out of the bag; and then I repack and forget it, and have to rush upstairs for it at the last moment and carry it to the railway station, wrapped up in my pocket- handkerchief.

Of course I had to turn every mortal thing out now, and, of course, I could not find it. I rummaged the things up into much the same state that they must have been before the world was created, and when chaos reigned. Of course, I found George’s and Harris’s eighteen times over, but I couldn’t find my own. I put the things back one by one, and held everything up and shook it. Then I found it inside a boot. I repacked once more.

When I had finished, George asked if the soap was in. I said I didn’t care a hang whether the soap was in or whether it wasn’t; and I slammed the bag to and strapped it, and found that I had packed my tobacco-pouch in it, and had to re-open it. It got shut up finally at 10.5 p.m., and then there remained the hampers to do. Harris said that we should be wanting to start in less than twelve hours’ time, and thought that he and George had better do the rest; and I agreed and sat down, and they had a go.

They began in a light-hearted spirit, evidently intending to show me how to do it. I made no comment; I only waited. When George is hanged, Harris will be the worst packer in this world.

Jerome K Jerome and Flann O'Brien may be the finest crafters of insults in the English language.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 6, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Sat down and read the whole thing over the course of an afternoon. Just barely made it to the end when my tablet's battery ran down. It is striking how modern much of the work feels. Back in the Boy Scouts I had the misfortune of experiencing a situation not unlike that encountered in one of Mr. Jerome's anecdotes. I was in a troop organized out of the local Presbyterian church; quite literally so organized (was the troop), as by some quirk of the typical cyclical leadership patterns familiar to the organization (the Boy Scouts) all Scoutmasters were engineers by trade.

My arrival in the troop was borne out mostly by proximity; that is, of all the roads that might lead the son of a Catholic physician into the machinations of Anglican engineers, this one happened to be the shortest, and as Thomas More would readily vouch if time and Henry VIII had permitted far from the least pleasant. That is not to say that I did not have my clashes, given that I did not have that advantage other boys did. My own father had no more interest in the outdoors than I did, though he did prove better at avoiding them.

Troops are sorted into patrols, or at least ours were. Contact with wilder troops at summer camps convinced me that this was a universal and not a particular trick of delegation devised by my troopmates' fathers, but I cannot discount that lads some campsites distant possessed no such affiliations. I had after all been informed at one particular trip to Sid Richardson that a lake of some size existed, but was never able to confirm the existence of water beyond that from a hose which I employed a time or two in order to shower and clean the latrine simultaneously; an industrious move arising of some conflict seeing as I was, if nothing else, as decadent in my need for the former as I was prone to the fits of shame common to my faith.

Back to the matter of the patrols. Boys were grouped by age, one to two patrols per year. By coincidence I found myself in Raven patrol, and in the five years of our continued existence I say with some roguish pride that we never lived up to the cleverness of our namesake. We were as fanciful storytellers as one could expect of the Star Wars genre novels and Insane Clown Posse albums we were familiar with, and in matters respecting the preparation of beverages we were as peerless explorers as any alchemists of the Qin Emperor; our results were roughly as vivifying.

At cooking we were dismal failures, forgetting to pack as many ingredients in the sturdy wooden box (no doubt the work of someone's father, but definitely not mine) as we employed. But we could prepare bacon at least, or some suitably convincing approximation of it. Now at the time environmental consciousness was not as it has become since, but it had long been the policy of the Boy Scouts to avoid litter. So it got into Nate's head one day through the prior day's admonishment by his father that merely pouring out bacon grease was unacceptable. He thought on the matter as long as any member of Raven Patrol ever had and resolved to immolate the grease by straining it through a tower of burning coals.

To Nate's credit the grease was entirely disposed of, taking only some of his eyebrows with it. If the eight foot flames were meant to dissuade the remainder of us from reusing Nate's method, Mother Nature had not well accounted for the mischief of boys. The good news it that while our troop did at one point burn down part of a forest, we Ravens were blameless in that specific incident. Active malice against the campsite was well beyond our capabilities, as the Scoutmasters long knew, and we were not even suspects.

Now regarding Mr. Jerome's tale, and my similar situation. It was the general practice of the troop to travel out to the campsite on Friday evenings after school and work and set up that evening for the remainder of the weekend, breaking camp on Sunday to travel home. Under normal circumstances we arrived in time enough to have daylight on our side; but in the case of a late start, a distant campsite, or an especially ornery solstice, we might be forced to encamp in the dark. On this particular weekend it had been all three, with a sprinkling of rain along the way to emphasize the point. It was pitch dark when we arrived, and the patrols scattered with varied enthusiasm to stake out prime locations. How they were able to discern any such thing is quite beyond me, but I will remind you that I was in Raven Patrol.

We of course, being both slow and incompetent, found ourselves stumbling into ground which seemed to have a distinct muddy atmosphere, and I thought that wouldn't do. Unfortunately, the Scoutmasters were unable to discern that my motives arose from only the highest sense of practicality, confusing it (as students of mechanics and not the humanities often did) for simple laziness. Set up something right the first time or don't set it up at all, that's the way I have always seen it; not at all is preferable, but once is tolerable and twice or more simply unthinkable.

All the same, the Scoutmasters urged us to set up with all haste, assuring us over our objections that complaining about our circumstances would do us little merit. Though I again pointed out that our chosen site seemed rather too outdoorsy character-building exercises prevailed and we attempted to pitch our tents. The personal sleeping tents were easy enough, though the squishiness of the bottoms did not endear me as much as I might have expected. Terrain which might prove conforming as I slept did little to comfort me, as in addition to the personal tents we were required to pitch a six-posted central tent for our provisions. I have heard it said that more legs provide greater stability, but any benefit that may have arisen from such a design proved itself fatally flawed given the terrain.

We did eventually manage to secure the tent in an acceptably Raven fashion and turned in to sleep. The next morning we discovered to our consternation that Raven Patrol's campsite was the only muddy one, located as it was in a shallow sinkhole basin looser than the ground elsewhere in the campsite. Chastised by the Scoutmasters, we were forced to relocate. Of course this I chalk up to their backgrounds, assuming that the fundamental state of one campsite would serve as a baseline for the rest; but I cannot discount the possibility that the woods were as annoyed by us Ravens as the Scoutmasters generally were.

In the end I proved the first, and also only, member of Raven Patrol to receive the rank of Eagle Scout, and also the only one to be kidnapped in the middle of the night in such a manner as to ensure not a soul came to justice for the deed. But that is a ritual of which I will not speak, largely because I do not remember it, despite being a tantalizing diversion.

This book is a lot like that, except much better because it has a dog and drinking.

One thing that makes the humor in the book so strikingly modern is the way it adheres to (or maybe creates?) a lot of the core elements of what became 20th Century British comedy. In form it's a sort of Victorian pub crawl, a bunch of lads deciding to do something poorly thought-out and experiencing the exact consequences they could have anticipated from it. Part of what makes it funny - and British - is that the consequences are anticipated, and generally dismissed. And then they happen anyway, which anyone with any sense could've predicted. That play to common sense in the face of idiocy adds a sort of smug dramatic irony for the reader because they saw it coming a mile off, but there's always that undercurrent that maybe the reader and their friends would be exactly as stupid. These are the kind of guys who bribe the wrong train to save ten minutes, propose cooking meals they don't know how to prepare, and knock off to take the train home for dinner rather than finish their epic boat journey up and down the Thames, and I can relate to all of that.

So yeah, there's not really a coherent narrative going on here, but on the other hand who hasn't aborted a nice tight narrative arc in their lives to gently caress off for food or a drink? There's a theme (as much as the book has one) of bullshitting and corner-cutting being pretty universal to everyone in the Victorian age. The self-deprecation and hypocrisy in the story carry it and keep everyone from looking like assholes (or at least make them look like amusing assholes, another rather British thing). The narrator/author's admission of his packing faults has been mentioned, but there are a ton more. For example, his repeated admission that he really doesn't like working, but does like "helping":

quote:

Now, I'm not like that. I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It is my energetic nature. I can't help it.
This is a trait shared by both his friends and leads to a moment where each accuses the other of not helping at all, and the great part is that they're all right.

One chapter features the narrator speaking proudly about trolling steam launches with their smaller boat by getting in their way, slowing them down, and pretending they can't hear their horns and shouting. Some chapters later they're towed by a friend's steam launch and of course we get:

quote:

The run would have been more delightful still, if it had not been for a lot of wretched small boats that were continually getting in the way of our launch, and to avoid running down which, we had to be continually easing and stopping.
And they are so confoundingly impertinent, too, over it. You can whistle till you nearly burst your boiler before they will trouble themselves to hurry. I would have one or two of them run down now and then, if I had my way, just to teach them all a lesson.
A lot of Jerome's humor seems to work on that double-inversion which is a staple of modern comedy. While mocking Harris's drinking he speculates on whether, should be become Prime Minister someday, the various pubs he'd frequented would advertise his patronage:

quote:

No, there would be too many of them! It would be the houses that he had never entered that would become famous. "Only house in South London that Harris never had a drink in!" The people would flock to it to see what could have been the matter with it.
There's the baseline joke ("Harris drinks a lot"), the twist on it ("He drinks so much they'd have to advertise for the places he didn't go to"), and then yet another turn in the final sentence that twists it back around on someone else ("people would still be fascinated by the place, wondering how terrible it is"). It's easy to see how all three of these jokes were offensive to certain people at the time, though Jerome's as often skewering himself with the final inversion as anybody else or society at large so it never comes across as mean-spirited. Like he mentions (in one of the more insightful passages), it's a lot easier and more acceptable to rip your friends for the tiniest things than to insult a random stranger.

There's also a lot of slapstick, which is kind of odd coming from a book, but it makes sense that written physical comedy fell out of style with the introduction of movies and TV. A lot of scenes are dependent on the clumsiness or general bumbling of the protagonists, or on people they mention. The Uncle Podger story is a joke-for-joke script identical to something from Vaudevillian physical comedy and the slapstick films that took from it, and I wouldn't be shocked if there was a direct line of inspiration from Jerome to those acts. It kind of reminds me of an Edgar Wright film, where the premise is an occasionally-relevant excuse to shepherd along a bunch of idiots who wouldn't get anything done if they didn't have at least a vague notion of a goal, while throwing up a bunch of remarkably mundane obstacles that end up hilarious because of the protagonists' complete lack of competence and preparation to handle them.

"Dumb people with bad plans do something and it doesn't work out, and then something even worse happens" is a simple formula, but it works every time. Sprinkle in a number of observations that are fairly basic comedy ("And what's up with nobody swimming at the beach?") that end up kind of working as historical artifacts, and it definitely paints a different picture of an age that we tend to view as being uptight. But guys like this have existed in every age and have given exactly as much of a poo poo, which makes me feel a bizarre kinship to the lazy dumbasses who have preceded me. And it made a shitload of money, because it turns out people can't resist a bunch of blokes drinking a lot and getting up to shenanigans, and it's only about a hundred pages long. It's everything a travelogue at its best should be: Insightful, (vaguely) informative, and full of colorful anecdotes that tell as much about the person writing it as the places they're visiting.

Finally: I admit he caught me with Montmorency in the first chapter because I only got confused about why there were four of them given the title toward the end of it and didn't realize he (Montmorency) was the dog until he (Jerome) made it explicit in the second chapter. What a dick.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
It was one of my favourite humour books - and one of the first ones I (unsuccessfully) attempted to read in English - until a couple of years ago I decided to reread it, and discovered that all the jokes were better in my memory than in the book. Even the part about bringing friend's cheese by train, which was the bit I would previously have probably named as the single best comedy scene I'd ever read. It was a shame.

So, I'm probably not going to reread Three Men on the Bummel, to let it stay hilarious in my memory - but if you liked this one, I do recommend giving the sequel a go.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Burning Rain posted:

It was one of my favourite humour books - and one of the first ones I (unsuccessfully) attempted to read in English - until a couple of years ago I decided to reread it, and discovered that all the jokes were better in my memory than in the book. Even the part about bringing friend's cheese by train, which was the bit I would previously have probably named as the single best comedy scene I'd ever read. It was a shame.

So, I'm probably not going to reread Three Men on the Bummel, to let it stay hilarious in my memory - but if you liked this one, I do recommend giving the sequel a go.

Did you read it first in German? How do you feel about comic songs?

The humor is so dry and so British I imagine it could be hard to translate.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Wow, I'd been meaning to read this for years and just got around to finishing it last week. Great book.

The only thing I had to look up was the term 'Margate niggers', who were apparently seaside blackface performers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Crashbee posted:

Wow, I'd been meaning to read this for years and just got around to finishing it last week. Great book.

The only thing I had to look up was the term 'Margate niggers', who were apparently seaside blackface performers.

Yeeeeaaahh I kinda forgot about that line. Chalk it up to accurate depiction of the Victorian era.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I read Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog years ago, and I've always meant to read this. Delighted to find I can do so for free since I'm trying to cut down on book buying while increasing book reading.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Did you read it first in German? How do you feel about comic songs?

The humor is so dry and so British I imagine it could be hard to translate.

It was in a Latvian translation, and I don't remember anything about the comic songs, sorry. When I reread it English, I did notice quite a few things that had passed me by in my early teens, but in part it was also because there are things you don't notice at that age. Still, I loved it, so I would recommend reading it in a translation if the original English prose seems too difficult for you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
On rereading this, I found myself really liking the musings about how commonplace godawful and kitschy "pieces of art" become valuable relics later on, since that's a key plot point in To Say Nothing Of The Dog. I wonder what came first, the chicken or the egg, here - although I believe it's not a first time travel story by Connie Willis.

As for the Gilbert and Sullivan songs, I originally read the book in Czech and there it was just translated literally with no sense of meaning and context so the joke was really just in how bad Harris is at singing this thing although we have no idea how it's funny. You could say the translators pulled a reverse Slossen Boschen.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's such a wonderfully readable book. With the exception of Wodehouse I usually find comic novels wear out their welcome by the end, but it never happens with 3 Men in a Boat. Maybe the way they abruptly end their trip is Jerome's own acknowledgment of that.

I think this is my favourite exchange in English literature:

quote:

George and I gazed all about. Then we gazed at each other.

“Has he been snatched up to heaven?” I queried.

“They’d hardly have taken the pie too,” said George.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I dunno how you chaps feel about audio versions of your BOTMs but I can no longer read excerpts from this book without hearing Hugh Laurie's voice. Pretty sure I got it off iTunes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nakar posted:

Sat down and read the whole thing over the course of an afternoon. Just barely made it to the end when my tablet's battery ran down. It is striking how modern much of the work feels. Back in the Boy Scouts I had the misfortune of experiencing a situation not unlike that encountered in one of Mr. Jerome's anecdotes. I was in a troop organized out of the local Presbyterian church; quite literally so organized (was the troop), as by some quirk of the typical cyclical leadership patterns familiar to the organization (the Boy Scouts) all Scoutmasters were engineers by trade.

. . . .

In the end I proved the first, and also only, member of Raven Patrol to receive the rank of Eagle Scout, and also the only one to be kidnapped in the middle of the night in such a manner as to ensure not a soul came to justice for the deed. But that is a ritual of which I will not speak, largely because I do not remember it, despite being a tantalizing diversion.

This book is a lot like that, except much better because it has a dog and drinking.

Thanks for posting that! I feel like I know this BotM has been a success now if it's inspiring those kinds of posts.

quote:

One thing that makes the humor in the book so strikingly modern is the way it adheres to (or maybe creates?) a lot of the core elements of what became 20th Century British comedy. In form it's a sort of Victorian pub crawl, a bunch of lads deciding to do something poorly thought-out and experiencing the exact consequences they could have anticipated from it. Part of what makes it funny - and British - is that the consequences are anticipated, and generally dismissed. And then they happen anyway, which anyone with any sense could've predicted. That play to common sense in the face of idiocy adds a sort of smug dramatic irony for the reader because they saw it coming a mile off, but there's always that undercurrent that maybe the reader and their friends would be exactly as stupid. These are the kind of guys who bribe the wrong train to save ten minutes, propose cooking meals they don't know how to prepare, and knock off to take the train home for dinner rather than finish their epic boat journey up and down the Thames, and I can relate to all of that.

So yeah, there's not really a coherent narrative going on here, but on the other hand who hasn't aborted a nice tight narrative arc in their lives to gently caress off for food or a drink? There's a theme (as much as the book has one) of bullshitting and corner-cutting being pretty universal to everyone in the Victorian age. The self-deprecation and hypocrisy in the story carry it and keep everyone from looking like assholes (or at least make them look like amusing assholes, another rather British thing). The narrator/author's admission of his packing faults has been mentioned, but there are a ton more. For example, his repeated admission that he really doesn't like working, but does like "helping":

This is a trait shared by both his friends and leads to a moment where each accuses the other of not helping at all, and the great part is that they're all right.

One chapter features the narrator speaking proudly about trolling steam launches with their smaller boat by getting in their way, slowing them down, and pretending they can't hear their horns and shouting. Some chapters later they're towed by a friend's steam launch and of course we get:

A lot of Jerome's humor seems to work on that double-inversion which is a staple of modern comedy. While mocking Harris's drinking he speculates on whether, should be become Prime Minister someday, the various pubs he'd frequented would advertise his patronage:

There's the baseline joke ("Harris drinks a lot"), the twist on it ("He drinks so much they'd have to advertise for the places he didn't go to"), and then yet another turn in the final sentence that twists it back around on someone else ("people would still be fascinated by the place, wondering how terrible it is"). It's easy to see how all three of these jokes were offensive to certain people at the time, though Jerome's as often skewering himself with the final inversion as anybody else or society at large so it never comes across as mean-spirited. Like he mentions (in one of the more insightful passages), it's a lot easier and more acceptable to rip your friends for the tiniest things than to insult a random stranger.

There's also a lot of slapstick, which is kind of odd coming from a book, but it makes sense that written physical comedy fell out of style with the introduction of movies and TV. A lot of scenes are dependent on the clumsiness or general bumbling of the protagonists, or on people they mention. The Uncle Podger story is a joke-for-joke script identical to something from Vaudevillian physical comedy and the slapstick films that took from it, and I wouldn't be shocked if there was a direct line of inspiration from Jerome to those acts. It kind of reminds me of an Edgar Wright film, where the premise is an occasionally-relevant excuse to shepherd along a bunch of idiots who wouldn't get anything done if they didn't have at least a vague notion of a goal, while throwing up a bunch of remarkably mundane obstacles that end up hilarious because of the protagonists' complete lack of competence and preparation to handle them.

"Dumb people with bad plans do something and it doesn't work out, and then something even worse happens" is a simple formula, but it works every time. Sprinkle in a number of observations that are fairly basic comedy ("And what's up with nobody swimming at the beach?") that end up kind of working as historical artifacts, and it definitely paints a different picture of an age that we tend to view as being uptight. But guys like this have existed in every age and have given exactly as much of a poo poo, which makes me feel a bizarre kinship to the lazy dumbasses who have preceded me. And it made a shitload of money, because it turns out people can't resist a bunch of blokes drinking a lot and getting up to shenanigans, and it's only about a hundred pages long. It's everything a travelogue at its best should be: Insightful, (vaguely) informative, and full of colorful anecdotes that tell as much about the person writing it as the places they're visiting.

Finally: I admit he caught me with Montmorency in the first chapter because I only got confused about why there were four of them given the title toward the end of it and didn't realize he (Montmorency) was the dog until he (Jerome) made it explicit in the second chapter. What a dick.

These were some really insightful points too -- I hadn't made the connection to vaudeville before and I think it's valid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh, I need suggestions for next month.

Based on what's been working for the past few months, "free on kindle" seems to be a BIG draw for these threads, so a few suggestions from paging back through my kindle history:

Xenophon's Anabasis (I've tried to sell this to folks here before but it's never won the votes. It's the oldest war story around and the basis of a hundred modern movies and adaptations (right down to The Warriors). It's also true.)

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass / Wizard of Oz or some other children's book

Island of Dr. Moreau / The Invisible Man or some other HG Wells

Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (early, classic pulp western. We could also do The Virginian)

Homage to Catalonia by Orwell (free for those of you outside the U.S.)

You Can't Win by Jack Black (crime narrative, inspiration to William Burroughs)

Any others?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Homage to Catalonia is great, but I think most people have already read it (maybe?). I'd go in for a pulp western!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Western sounds pretty interesting, it's a genre I never really had any interest in reading (unless McCarthy counts) so there's going to be some first contact. Anabasis sounds good too.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
How about mixing it up with some short stories? Guternberg has collections of H.G. Wells and Wodehouse, as well as some essays by George Orwell.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Don Marquis's archy and mehitabel? Not free though, alas.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm on a history kick, I could join for Anabasis.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I did it. I made it in under the deadline with three hours and forty nine minutes to spare. I read this book.

With the consensus being "okay done" by the fifth of the month I found it hard to sit down and dedicate any incremental effort towards its completion, feeling like I couldn't dip back into the thread until I hit footnotes. Every bump in the thread was like being nagged.

The kindle version did this annoying thing where every subchapter would say a line and not delineate it from the actual first sentence of the chapter with italics or a carriage return so I'd constantly trip over an incomprehensible grammar mixup. I became convinced it was a joke that the narrator goes out of his way to never identify himself. Only today did I catch Harris calling him J. I thought montmorrency was the 3rd man in the boat until maybe the 15th of January.

The plot takes a dark turn at 86%. Wasn't expecting that.

I greatly enjoyed the comic songs fuckup where Harris couldn't keep the Gilbert & Sullivan songs straight, or remember the words. I love some Gilbert & Sullivan and hearing the music always fills me with the impression I could word for word the song like old times and then I'm repeating the introductory verse ad nauseum and can't seem to get to the next bit. "The fuckin guy, he was an office boy. It's a song about his life. Why is he an office boy again?" I asked myself while trying to sing it in the shower to prove harris was an idiot. I owned myself so hard.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, I need suggestions for next month.

Based on what's been working for the past few months, "free on kindle" seems to be a BIG draw for these threads, so a few suggestions from paging back through my kindle history:

Xenophon's Anabasis (I've tried to sell this to folks here before but it's never won the votes. It's the oldest war story around and the basis of a hundred modern movies and adaptations (right down to The Warriors). It's also true.)

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass / Wizard of Oz or some other children's book

Island of Dr. Moreau / The Invisible Man or some other HG Wells

Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (early, classic pulp western. We could also do The Virginian)

Homage to Catalonia by Orwell (free for those of you outside the U.S.)

You Can't Win by Jack Black (crime narrative, inspiration to William Burroughs)

Any others?

Warlock by Oakley Hall

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The one thing I remember about that book - the time travel project has a black guy on the team (just the one, obviously) and he's always staying in the lab beause literally the entire mass of human history and geography until the 21st century is too dangerous for a black guy to explore.

Anyways, I've recently re-read Three on a Bummel (a tour of Europe / Germany). Reviews tend to rate it a lot lower than TMiaB - less cohesive, and who really cares about places that aren't in England - but I thought the ruminations about Europe, the German national character and the like highly fascinating. These people have no idea that WWI is almost at hand, and it's sad as gently caress.

Also - anyone here a big Jerome K Jerome fan? I swear I once read a story by him (or by someone with a very similar style) mocking Gothic / Sensationalist fiction tropes. A writer starts with describing a simple pastoral horseback ride, and proceeds to add more and more Gothic tropes, until an armed brigand on a pitch-black horse, rides through the night into Satan's own den. Haven't found it in my Jerome collection, no one else has even heard of it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Xander77 posted:

The one thing I remember about that book - the time travel project has a black guy on the team (just the one, obviously) and he's always staying in the lab beause literally the entire mass of human history and geography until the 21st century is too dangerous for a black guy to explore.
That's very stupid and inaccurate

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The black guy wasn't actually a member of the time travel team. He was a random freshman who was the only person left in the Time Travel department because Lady Schrapnell sent literally every person in the department back in time to get the obsessively accurate details she wanted for her cathedral project, leaving no one in charge and nobody left to do the proper safety checks, which is how Ned gets sent back to Victorian times while too time-lagged to understand where he's going or what he's meant to do when he gets there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it wasn't that he couldn't go anywhere, it was that he couldn't go where everyone was forced to, Victorian England.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Anyways, I've recently re-read Three on a Bummel (a tour of Europe / Germany). Reviews tend to rate it a lot lower than TMiaB - less cohesive, and who really cares about places that aren't in England - but I thought the ruminations about Europe, the German national character and the like highly fascinating. These people have no idea that WWI is almost at hand, and it's sad as gently caress.

The bit where he observes that "[The German's troubles will begin] when by any chance something goes wrong with the governing machine" is one of the most terrifying things I've ever read. (Happily, things like Harris and his wife, or the Unpleasantness with the hose-pipe, are some of the funniest things I've ever read. Swings and roundabouts!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, it wasn't that he couldn't go anywhere, it was that he couldn't go where everyone was forced to, Victorian England.

quote:

“Yes, sir,” T.J. said. “Lady Schrapnell came and took everyone else. She would have taken me, but the first two-thirds of Twentieth Century and all of Nineteenth are a ten for blacks and therefore off-limits.”

“I’m surprised that stopped her,” Mr. Dunworthy said.

“It didn’t,” he said. “She wanted to dress me up as a Moor and send me to 1395 to check on the construction of the steeple. It was her idea that they’d assume I was a prisoner brought back from the Crusades.”

“The Crusades ended in 1272,” Mr. Dunworthy said.

“I know, sir. I pointed that out, also the fact that the entire past is a ten for blacks.

• Locked thread