Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Oh poo poo, the new book has finally been released? Welp I've got something to do for my weekends now!

Also, I've always seen the No-God as a much more philosophical concept made manifest. It is the metaphysical opposite of God, where God is the Logos, the inherent intelligibility and order of the universe. The No-God is chaos, that which is without order, that cannot be comprehended. It's questioning of what it is is because it is the antithesis of the knowable, it literally can't comprehend itself. By powering it up and releasing it they hope to basically undo God itself.

Or it's a giant, confused helicopter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Also with a poo poo load of things happening that could have been awesome twists if there had actually been any real foreshadowing. So instead it ended with a lot of 'What the gently caress? Why is this happening? When did that happen? Who the gently caress is this?' I really like Bakker's overall world and his approach to fantasy but god in heaven it comes across pretty clearly that he did not have a loving clue about how he was going to get to where he ended up and I think that his idea of how the world works is kind of there but not really worked out. Also he needs to write a lot more and get a much better editor.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I'd agree the first trilogy was actually sold fantasy with some interesting and unusual ideas. A solid editor might have kept Bakker to that and curbed some of his body horror moments with a reality of check of 'why do you keep writing about all these people enjoying being raped? Or more importantly why is the major focus of the horror Howe much they're enjoying it rather than just... The rape?'

gently caress I'd have been fine with the ending we've got if it had clearly been an ending. Instead we get a few possible threads being raised, the good guys otherwise losing the battle and the No God appears.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

It genuinely saddens me that this series started with an interesting concept of the horror of an objective non materialist morality system, humans as biological machinery, magic as differential ways of understanding and shaping reality and ended up with a cannibal rape fest, an Empire Strikes back ending and a dragon screaming 'I smell cunny!'