Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Saw this thread, clicked on it on a whim, read the OP and admired the art and got the first book out of the library - and loved it. It's every bit as terrible as the thread promised, with unlikable characters and sexism (not one of the female pov characters thinks of anything but how the men think of them, ugh) and rape galore -

And yet it was a book I blitzed in several days and enjoyed immensely. The writing was excellent. The setting was a fascinating bizarro Europe. I took the opportunity to go read up on the Crusades.

But what really got me about this book is how it evoked that HR Giger-esque atmosphere of eldritch horrors almost despite itself. That scene near the end where the face removed itself - brr. The Consult seem almost comically sinister so far, and yet that scene paid off handsomely.

Looking forward to more, even if I have to actually purchase the books now - the library only had the first one, alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Still mad that helicopters weren't a thing in this series. That was the raddest theory to read about.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The way the writing hinted at helicopters and hosed up tech and the fact that it didn't go that route is still the most disappointing thing

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Stop bumping this to continue the idiotic argument.

Please don't do this.

Content: I will forever be bummed that the "what if the god is actually a helicopter" didn't go anywhere because it was a genuinely awesome idea. Put more high tech into low tech settings please.