Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Policenaut posted:

That Nights of Azure game is $85

There's a Lesbian Premium tax on that one. Don't panic until more follow similar pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Yoya posted:

some new ps4 pre orders are hitting 84.99 on amazon.ca so that might be the new baseline msrp :mcnabb:

Is this lower or higher than the norm for Canada? This equates to ~$60 USD.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's currently $80 for a new game in Canada.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's a lot of muns

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Policenaut posted:

It's currently $80 for a new game in Canada.

Isn't that like 57ish real money.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

but isn't their currency waterproof that has to count for something

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Canadian dollar has dropped so much it is literally Monopoly money now

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Suikoden 2 is so good, I've never even played a Suikoden game before until this year but since it was only $2.50 I said why not and its incredible, and it has held up really well thanks to the mostly 2d art so it doesn't look awful even though it's an early PSone game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, games are now apparently slightly cheaper in the UK than the US or Canada, assuming you don't pay over 40, which is fairly easy.
New digital is still like US$90 though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Suikoden 2 is so good, I've never even played a Suikoden game before until this year but since it was only $2.50 I said why not and its incredible, and it has held up really well thanks to the mostly 2d art so it doesn't look awful even though it's an early PSone game.

Suikoden 2 was actually a late-era PS1 game! It came out months before the PS2.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mayor McCheese posted:

Is this lower or higher than the norm for Canada? This equates to ~$60 USD.

Define "norm". At launch in 2013/early 2014, new games were $60CAD, it's been steadily creeping up since then due to the exchange rate. That said, during the Clinton years and a bit before they were also $80CAD, sometimes higher if you were getting a memory-heavy jRPG or something.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

barren_sky posted:

These days publishers often drop the price to $50 in retail sales within a month of release to combat the used game market. There is zero chance I'd spend nearly $100 (after taxes) on a new game.

At least we still have PS+ and some store sales on par with the US dollar.

Where do you see newish games going on sale for $50 in Canada (other than Black Friday/Boxing Day sales)? Any retailer I have access to is total garbage when it comes putting retail games on sale.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

XenoCrab posted:

Where do you see newish games going on sale for $50 in Canada (other than Black Friday/Boxing Day sales)? Any retailer I have access to is total garbage when it comes putting retail games on sale.

Amazon and Best Buy are pretty agressive with it.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

XenoCrab posted:

Battlefront was on sale for $50 at Shoppers about 3 weeks after release.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

ImpAtom posted:

Suikoden 2 was actually a late-era PS1 game! It came out months before the PS2.

oh yeah Suikoden 1 was the one that was early era

I had a PS1 in 1996 and I used to buy almost every game but somehow I never even heard of these games until recently

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

El Hefe posted:

oh yeah Suikoden 1 was the one that was early era

I had a PS1 in 1996 and I used to buy almost every game but somehow I never even heard of these games until recently

Physical copies of Suikoden 2 are pretty rare. I purchased mine from Electronics Boutique back in the day, kind of on a fluke, as I had no desire to play Suikoden 1 due to its (amazing) cover.

I was happy to see Suikoden 2 on PSN as it's a solid game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Physical copies of Suikoden 2 are pretty rare. I purchased mine from Electronics Boutique back in the day, kind of on a fluke, as I had no desire to play Suikoden 1 due to its (amazing) cover.

I was happy to see Suikoden 2 on PSN as it's a solid game.

To be fair literally everything on that cover is in fact in the game!

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I want to play Dragon Quest VII and VIII now since I never played them either, too bad they aren't available on PSN.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

El Hefe posted:

I want to play Dragon Quest VII and VIII now since I never played them either, too bad they aren't available on PSN.

FYI they are both getting a Western 3DS release this year.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mr E posted:

Isn't that like 57ish real money.

Unfortunately we are not paid in "real money" though so it's a real $25 increase for us.

Just a few years ago I was buying nearly everything in the US because our dollar was worth more and you have cheaper prices/taxes on top of that. Now Americans are coming here to shop.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

univbee posted:

FYI they are both getting a Western 3DS release this year.

ah well that must be why they've never been released on PSN then

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Japan store:

Demos of Odin Sphere Leifrasir are now up over there:
PS4 demo
PS3 demo
Vita demo

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 8, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Unfortunately we are not paid in "real money" though so it's a real $25 increase for us.

Just a few years ago I was buying nearly everything in the US because our dollar was worth more and you have cheaper prices/taxes on top of that. Now Americans are coming here to shop.

That sucks, Canadians deserve better.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yechezkel posted:

Japan store:

Demos of Odin Sphere Leifþrasir are now up over there:
PS4 demo
PS3 demo
Vita demo

This demo is incredible and if you liked Odin Sphere on PS2 you should get this downloaded right now.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
Yeah its really tight and satisfying and it looks gorgeous in hd. I'm glad I still have a 30% off preorder on it

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Ooh, I loved Odin Sphere. Thanks for the heads-up.

Oh, wait. That's JP store. :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Speaking of the JP store I think I forgot to mention this earlier, but while you're there also download the Grand Kingdom demo. Spiritual sequel to Grand Knights History.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
And 69 Hyperdimension Neptunia avatars for your Japanese account. :v: ... no? No one?

MisterAlex posted:

Ooh, I loved Odin Sphere. Thanks for the heads-up.

Oh, wait. That's JP store. :(

So? Make a JP account through this link and follow this tutorial. Then use the account on whatever you want to play it on.

-----

Some of the new releases for next week, announced on PS Blogcast:

quote:

PS4 Games
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India
The Banner Saga
Dogchild (available Monday)
Gone Home: Console Edition
Tharsis

PS4 Demo
Arslan: The Warriors of Legend

Vita version of The Banner Saga will not come out next week. It was almost cancelled due to port developer problems, but PlayStation took over and will help in making the Vita port.

----

edit: Another PS4 open beta of World of Tanks will start today until Sunday. NA link, EU link

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 8, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Policenaut posted:

This demo is incredible and if you liked Odin Sphere on PS2 you should get this downloaded right now.

I've literally had that on mu "i'll play it eventually list" since it's release, so this is very nice to hear.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Has the Odin Sphere remake been confirmed for a western release yet?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Has the Odin Sphere remake been confirmed for a western release yet?

Yup!

http://atlus.com/osl/

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes, it has, at least for NA region. No release date was given, but it is planned to come out this spring. Both Gamestop and Amazon claim a release date of June 7, but I don't think that was confirmed by Atlus.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

I guess Amazon.jp doesn't sell PSN cards? All I'm seeing are inflated prices from third-party sellers. :(

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Warfighter is a bad game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MisterAlex posted:

I guess Amazon.jp doesn't sell PSN cards? All I'm seeing are inflated prices from third-party sellers. :(

There's still a markup and it takes like 12 hours to get, but Solaris Japan has I think the lowest markup, like 11000 yen for a 10k yen code

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I bought one of these for my JP account. No lie. I rather liked the variety.

It's me. I'm the demographic.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

univbee posted:

There's still a markup and it takes like 12 hours to get, but Solaris Japan has I think the lowest markup, like 11000 yen for a 10k yen code

Isn't the Japanese sales tax 10% right now? Unless the sale of digital codes is specifically excluded from sales tax, that wouldn't even be a markup.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Isn't the Japanese sales tax 10% right now? Unless the sale of digital codes is specifically excluded from sales tax, that wouldn't even be a markup.

If it's like it is here, gift cards don't get tax added on. You'd essentially be paying sales tax twice in that event. :v:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The prices on digital items in Japan already includes the tax. In fact, prices got all kinds of hosed because everything was tweaked to have clean prices at 5% tax. Then they raised it to 8% so items had prices like 627 yen and it's basically impossible to cleanly spend an entire wallet card now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've played about 10 hours of Dragon Age: Origins now and I've decided that it's not that bad, really, kind of like a more competent and focused Kingdoms of Amalur without the charm. So what about DA2? I see it's on sale at the store for a fiver but I've heard that most people poo poo all over it. I'm sure this has been done to death by now but this is pretty much the first time ever I've been even remotely interested in the franchise so what's so lovely about DA2? There are a whole lot of things I don't care for in DA:O and I gather DA2 fixed some of those things but is otherwise garbage or something.

Also is DA:O Awakening worth anything? 20 bucks for a DLC sounds pretty nutty to me. Does it ever go on sale?

• Locked thread