Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

:siren:Please no spoilers I haven't really played this game so I'd like to know what I'm getting in when I'm in there:siren: So if you have to say something we haven't seen yet PUT IT BEHIND THE SPOILER TAGS

Resident Evil 5
That's right after the WILDLY SUCCESSFUL AND CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED Resident Evil 4 Let's Play. (And why wouldn't it be? After all it's 100% AMERICAN) It's time to do the next logical step in the Resident Evil series and that's to do so much blow from the wealth you got off of your hit success and ruin what made the original good by adding Co-Op into your Survival horror franchise~ Because nothing screams scary like being with someone else during it. Isolation is all about having other people to join in on your spoopy experiences after all.

The Format
BUT! I won't be going this alone~ I have a co-commentator with me. A very special one that's near and dear to my skype. It's CJacobs! That's right that little rapscallion is joining me on this GLORIOUS? run into the follow up in the greatest game in the Resident Evil series. "But," you ask yourself, "isn't Cjacobs doing another LP as well?" You'd be correct my find thread reader person. Currently CJacobs has a Resident Evil 4 and Evil Within Thread going on RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND and you should probably check it out. And don't forget to like comment and subcribe :v: to his stuff too just because that shows how much you love him.

The Controversy
So by now you might have seen the thread title and lemme tell you, that's due to the controversy that was sparked in the origin of Resident Evil 5. If you ask yourself "Self what is this controversy that this ruggedly handsome gentleman is talking about" then sir/ma'am you've clearly lived under a rock for what would be FAR TOO LONG! And really I'm not going to go too far into it. Once you see the game's setting you might be able to INFER some of what people are talking about. But really it's not that bad until we get further into the game. Then it sucker punches you like your older brother, when you go up and expect a hug.

What you can expect
You might get Cut and Uncut versions of videos due to some technical issues we have due to how GREAT Resident Evil 5 is programmed for... Either that or we've died and hosed around a little too much. NO MATTER WHAT THERE WILL BE COMMENTARY OVER THE CUTSCENES

Videos
Part One: Welcome to Africa Part One: Cut

Part Two: Leach Monster Mc Black Blood Part Two: Cut

Part Three: Let us evaluate the equation TV=P where T is time for any given task and V is velocity in which things travel... And P is poop Part three: Cut

Part Four: Businessman with Standards

Part Five: Quite the humdinger

Part Six: What happens on the boat

Part Seven: See you later crocagator!

Part Eight: CJacobs is getting Cranky

Winning the Resident Evil 5 Way

Part Nine: I hope you don't MINE!

Part Ten: Release the Kraken!

Part Eleventeen: Part one of this tragedy, Part Eleventeen: Final Chapter of this wreck, Part Eleven: Edited

Everything goes horribly wrong

Part Twelve: Fun with Lasers

Part Thirteen: The Lasers and CJacobs

Part Fourteen: Go Green :420:

Part Fifteen: The Zombies have guns

Part Sixteen: Leeching all the time in this video

Dank Meme 1, Dank Meme 2

Part Seventeen: Starts with Penis

Part Eighteen: What a Resident Evil Revelations!

Part Ninteen: This is it

Part Twenty: My shame for all to see

Part Twenty One: EXCELLLLLAAA!!!

Part Twenty Two: Punch punch punch for justice

Zain fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

Stop resisting, citizen

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

hello I heard a request for fanart

Fish Noise posted:

God, it's like, right there, how do you miss that?

CJacobs posted:

Found a screenshot from the artbook depicting the fight with excella

Zain fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 9, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I've played through the entirety of this ridiculous game and I have no idea what the controversy is :colbert:
(edit: granted, I never gave half a drat about finding out anything about the game barring the game itself, so that may be a reason)

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I don't blame you~ I'd rather just enjoy the games I play rather than what other people outside of it do or say.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I like Resident Evil 5 you know, it's not as great as 4 was, which set the standard for the modern Resident Evil franchise and layed the way for other games like Dead Space and Gears of War, but I liked it for what it was, Co-Op and all, which was pretty fun, sometimes.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Capcom games at this time seem to all share the same sentiment. These games are horrible garbage if you do it single player, but if you do it in multiplayer it's the most enjoyable thing. See Lost Planet 2. I only played that multiplayer cause I got it thinking about my friends and I LOVED it to death. It was just such an amazing game and it was super silly.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
A Japanese game might be slightly racist you say? :monocle:

Mind you, we won't see the really incredible poo poo until the extra costumes come up. :staredog:

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Zain posted:

The Controversy

I never got that. I mean, as an example, let's say you hit up George Clooney for money to make a video game during the height of the Darfur crisis, a Mercenaries-inspired game where you take out massacring Sudanese warlords to protect people. The only proviso he has is that the main character is a self-insert. Well, there you go: a game about a white guy shooting black people in the name of peace, and without any racist decisions being made, only stupid ones. I think you can kind of sum up RE5 that way; "no racism, just stupidity." :v:

Now, if for some reason he wanted to spice up the combat by throwing in, say, witch doctors and tribal warriors who howled like animals before they attacked you, that might be a bit more problematic. But it's not like that would ever happen, right...?

Anyway, all that aside, you two are great LPers and I'll definitely be following this one. Hope to see some pro strats like the Krauser knife fight in this one before we stream it. ;)

Edit: Uh, before we joke about things that totally aren't in this game, you should specify: what's the spoiler policy? And you might want to post in the New LPs thread, I only saw this one because you linked to it at the end of the RE4 LP.

Wayne fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 4, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Wayne posted:

I never got that. I mean, as an example, let's say you hit up George Clooney for money to make a video game during the height of the Darfur crisis, a Mercenaries-inspired game where you take out massacring Sudanese warlords to protect people. The only proviso he has is that the main character is a self-insert. Well, there you go: a game about a white guy shooting black people in the name of peace, and without any racist decisions being made, only stupid ones. I think you can kind of sum up RE5 that way; "no racism, just stupidity." :v:

Now, if for some reason he wanted to spice up the combat by throwing in, say, witch doctors and tribal warriors who howled like animals before they attacked you, that might be a bit more problematic. But it's not like that would ever happen, right...?

Anyway, all that aside, you two are great LPers and I'll definitely be following this one. Hope to see some pro strats like the Krauser knife fight in this one before we stream it. ;)

Edit: Uh, before we joke about things that totally aren't in this game, you should specify: what's the spoiler policy? And you might want to post in the New LPs thread, I only saw this one because you linked to it at the end of the RE4 LP.

Thank you! I just posted that spoilers should be kept to a min.

And I don't know if it's too late to post it in the New LP thread... I would feel quite awkward doing it now right?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
It's the same day, and the only rule is that you only post once (and only post if you're linking to your LP, of course). Go for it! :)

And I just finished the episode, uncut of course. :allears: Hope you and CJ get Steam to behave next time, heh.

Oh, I edited a spoiler tag into my post, you can do the same or just trim the quote down. People who know what to expect in chapter 3 (I think it was?) wouldn't get the full effect.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Just recently replayed this (twice) with a buddy, so since it's all still relatively fresh in my mind I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure. That and I just love the RE series (for the most part), so I was bound to take a look once I saw a new topic.

I never really "got" where all the hate for RE5 (or RE6 for that matter) came from. Okay sure, you're no longer wandering around on your own, but RE was never truly scary (in the "o lawd now I'm going to have scary bad dreams" sense) anyway. What was scary was thinking "oh gently caress I don't want to run into another one of those bastards!" whenever you were on the verge of death, and that element has generally remained intact throughout. But whatever, it's that "muh survival horror" bandwagon garbage so gently caress it. Outside of those loving QTE surprises and the occasional moment where Chris/Sheva will seem to control sluggishly like a confused drunk when the action heats up, I have very few problems with RE5.

As for the controversy... hah! What a load of bollocks. I mean, god forbid that there are Africans in Africa! Who would have thought of such a thing! But if for whatever reason you're still concerned, Capcom decided to throw in a bunch of villagers from all o'er the world before release, including a bunch of white guys in very European/North America garb, and the very bizarre Josef Stalin/Saddam Hussein hybrids in white pyjamas. Lots of them. In West Africa. Yes.

Edit:
Oh Jesus Christ the remnants of that loving GFWL garbage caused the same issues here. Disconnections for no discernible reason causing several chapter replays.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 4, 2016

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Zain, how do you have a proper targeting reticule and not the annoying near-invisible laser dot?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IronSaber posted:

Zain, how do you have a proper targeting reticule and not the annoying near-invisible laser dot?

Playing with mouse/keyboard gives you the crosshair, no option to turn it off and go back to the laser. You only get the laser sight on the PC version if you're using a controller, which Zain and I wisely are not doing. :v:

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
As someone who has had to play through the game from the beginning (as in no items or progress), about 8 different times on three different systems thanks to the excellent coding of the game and how it saves, this is going to be a magical trainwreck, and I'm already looking forward to this LP.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This game is fun. I had fun playing it on the 360 when it came out, and despite some terrible lag and netcode I had sometimes with some people, it's still very playable. Speaking of which, something I think I should add because I'm really anal about this stuff is the addition of a whole bunch of contextual melee attacks they added, some new ones you missed this video (like the Hook). They're all pretty useful.

Also, not a fan of the machine guns. Just gonna get that out of the way.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Fun fact: Resident Evil 5 is Capcom's best selling game with 6.9 million copies. Resident Evil 6 follows at 6.3 million copies. Street Fighter 2 probably beats both if you combine all the re-releases and updates together.

Another Fun Fact: Resident Evil 5's setting, music, and visual look was based on Ridley Scott's Black Hawk Down which was set in war torn Somalia. Come to think of it, Black Hawk Down had a big influence on shooters of that generation.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Nice; I don't like it as much as RE4, but RE5 is a lot of fun. Much more fun than RE6, for example. Looking forward to the rest of the LP.

Something I noticed is that RE5 follows a very similar three-act structure to RE4:

Act 1: Fighting not-zombies in a foreign (to the target audience) rural area.
Act 2: Everything goes absolutely nuts - a fantasy land viewed through a uniquely Japanese perspective.
Act 3: The crazy is dialled back slightly, and the action moves to more military/industrial environments.

(So vague that I wouldn't really call it a spoiler, but I put it in tags just in case.)

RE5 is one of the very few games I've played co-op. I'm almost exclusively a singleplayer person - and indeed I've lost count of the number of singleplayer playthroughs of RE5 I've had - but it was a lot of fun in co-op, I've gotta say. I don't remember having any connection issues - even back then in the exclusively GFWL days - but it was across a LAN with a friend, so that might be it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Racism aside, how does the gameplay/story hold up to RE4? I vaguely recall RE5 being a disappointment in that regard, but RE4 was just so good ad it was a long time ago

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As I will explain in depth in 3 or 4 videos, I really like this game's story. It has the same sort of "extremely goofy things happening in a serious world" feeling to it. I think RE4's story is better at that as well as overall, but the tone is kind of similar. It's just that instead of the wisecracking Leon you have the Really loving Serious Chris and Sheva, which affects the pacing of the story and dialogue quite a bit. I don't think it as good as RE4's story in general, but looking at it, it's kind of hard to beat. :v:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 5, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Sunning posted:

Fun fact: Resident Evil 5 is Capcom's best selling game with 6.9 million copies. Resident Evil 6 follows at 6.3 million copies. Street Fighter 2 probably beats both if you combine all the re-releases and updates together.

Another Fun Fact: Resident Evil 5's setting, music, and visual look was based on Ridley Scott's Black Hawk Down which was set in war torn Somalia. Come to think of it, Black Hawk Down had a big influence on shooters of that generation.

This sorta saddens me a bit. I don't know why but like part of me looks at RE6 getting nearly as many sales is just mind boggling.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Zain posted:

This sorta saddens me a bit. I don't know why but like part of me looks at RE6 getting nearly as many sales is just mind boggling.

Even though it wasn't the blockbuster hit Capcom wanted at $60, RE6 has found long term success at budget prices. It's sold around 750K copies on Steam alone. When you come down to it, it's a fairly competent and feature rich game that can be enjoyed by fans of co-op shooters.

Now, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City selling 2 million copies is worth being sad about.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Little know fact the Executioner was actually supposed to be called the Executionist because he's a 16th century Polish nobleman/legal reformer.

And I can confirm that Bulletstorm still has GFWL, since I bought it during the Steam winter sale. Microsoft brought back a new version of GFWL (and I've actually been able to play Bulletstorm), so sadly they probably won't remove GFWL from any games they haven't already.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I just want to say I enjoyed the technical difficulties part a disturbing amount, especially the way Shiva stares at Chris while you're talking to grandma. She's very Creepy Watson.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
That immediate co-op knifing of the very first guy has set my expectation for this LP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fish Noise posted:

That immediate co-op knifing of the very first guy has set my expectation for this LP.

I have learned much from my time with Resident Evil 4.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CJacobs posted:

As I will explain in depth in 3 or 4 videos, I really like this game's story. It has the same sort of "extremely goofy things happening in a serious world" feeling to it. I think RE4's story is better at that as well as overall, but the tone is kind of similar. It's just that instead of the wisecracking Leon you have the Really loving Serious Chris and Sheva, which affects the pacing of the story and dialogue quite a bit. I don't think it as good as RE4's story in general, but looking at it, it's kind of hard to beat. :v:

I think the pacing of the story was pretty well done and there are enough cool moments to justify the usual sillyness. And the finale is quite satisfying, which seems like rarity in modern games nowadays.

All in all, the campaign is very solid for a Co-op shooter.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
The fact that you guys aren't just JAMMING on the "call for partner" button shocks and confuses me so much.

CHRIS!
SHEVA!
CHRIS!
ON MY WAY!
CHRIS!
I CAN'T RIGHT NOW!

Having played through the game yet again with a buddy in the past week, I can safely say that this game takes itself about as seriously as RE4, the only difference is the fact that the main characters are the straight men in this equation who have to act serious all the time. It's not as good as RE4, but it has some welcome improvements that I much prefer over 4, mainly in regards to the controls. (Also play with a controller argh why do people expect good PC ports out of Capcom ever argh)

As far as RE6 goes, only play that in co-op for the true buttslides/melee trainwreck that is most of that-garbage-loving-game-that-everybody-hates.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

The fact that you guys aren't just JAMMING on the "call for partner" button shocks and confuses me so much.

CHRIS!
SHEVA!
CHRIS!
ON MY WAY!
CHRIS!
I CAN'T RIGHT NOW!
Do this, but with your own voices.

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

the true buttslides/melee trainwreck

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

(Also play with a controller argh why do people expect good PC ports out of Capcom ever argh)

Because Capcom does make good PC ports most of the time. That's why it's so confusing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Having played through the game yet again with a buddy in the past week, I can safely say that this game takes itself about as seriously as RE4, the only difference is the fact that the main characters are the straight men in this equation who have to act serious all the time. It's not as good as RE4, but it has some welcome improvements that I much prefer over 4, mainly in regards to the controls. (Also play with a controller argh why do people expect good PC ports out of Capcom ever argh)

As far as RE6 goes, only play that in co-op for the true buttslides/melee trainwreck that is most of that-garbage-loving-game-that-everybody-hates.

Since RE4 HD came out I don't think there's been a single bad RE PC port so v:v:v

The game runs smooth as butter and the controls are definitely changed around when they don't really need to be, but that's because of the new sucky inventory system mostly. The mouse aiming is great once you turn down the sensitivity!

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Zain posted:

Because Capcom does make good PC ports most of the time. That's why it's so confusing.

Well the original PC port of RE4 was a godawful mess and RE5 had GFWL, and RE6 has its own share of problems with controller/mouse and keyboard switching. Overall their ports are okay in quality but the mouse and keyboard controls are almost always a pain. (Use X and C for RE4 QTEs) That and I find the controls are more at home on a controller rather than M&K.

Edit: There's also a bit of an odd factor in that changing RE5's Antialiasing option crashes the game on my system. I had wanted to turn it down from C16XHQ because my game slows in certain areas. But oh well.

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 6, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the QTE button combinations are weird and make no sense. I forgot about that. Don't worry, this game carries on that fine tradition! It's F and V this time around! (????)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

(Also play with a controller argh why do people expect good PC ports out of Capcom ever argh)

The mouse and keyboard controls are fine, though. :confused: It's a pretty standard WASD setup - which you can of course rebind if you don't like some of the assignments - and it has been a few years, but I don't remember any issues with stuff like mouse acceleration.

Disclosure though: I dislike gamepads and only use them if I absolutely have to.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, I was amazed that the weapon/item switch was assigned to the 1-9 keys instead of sticking to the console versions standard 4-way d-pad style thing. Being able to access all 9 slots with a single button press was great. Just stick the ammo down on the bottom since the 7-9 keys are harder to reach from the WASD core. The PC controls are fine.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You'd think 1-9 would make accessing things easier but like everything changes constantly with the inventory so you can kinda hit 4 expecting a granada but it's your ammo because you ran out of ammo originally and it switch there instead.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Zain posted:

You'd think 1-9 would make accessing things easier but like everything changes constantly with the inventory so you can kinda hit 4 expecting a granada but it's your ammo because you ran out of ammo originally and it switch there instead.

It's also a problem because unlike RE4, you can't change it around whenever you want to; only when you reach end of chapter, or checkpoints after dying. There's no way to move items around aside from giving items to your partner.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

It's also a problem because unlike RE4, you can't change it around whenever you want to; only when you reach end of chapter, or checkpoints after dying. There's no way to move items around aside from giving items to your partner.

Well, you can rearrange items in their slots whenever you want by just clicking/dragging them, you just can't exchange between the item box and your inventory outside of those times. As Zain and I find out in the next video, there's one other thing about the inventory that really really sucks, but I won't spoil what it is until we get there. Believe me when I say we are aptly disappointed, though!

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

Well, you can rearrange items in their slots whenever you want by just clicking/dragging them, you just can't exchange between the item box and your inventory outside of those times. As Zain and I find out in the next video, there's one other thing about the inventory that really really sucks, but I won't spoil what it is until we get there. Believe me when I say we are aptly disappointed, though!
:aaaaa: Holy poo poo you can move things in your inventory in game with the mouse? This changes everything!

Yeah see, this is the kind of thing that would be good for a keyboard and mouse, because while in game, using a controller, you can't move your inventory around at all. Only in between chapters. so selecting stuff gets awkward if you pick up anything past the four d pad slots.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Yeah, I was amazed that the weapon/item switch was assigned to the 1-9 keys instead of sticking to the console versions standard 4-way d-pad style thing. Being able to access all 9 slots with a single button press was great. Just stick the ammo down on the bottom since the 7-9 keys are harder to reach from the WASD core. The PC controls are fine.

They expected you to use the numpad, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Stop resisting, citizen

• Locked thread