Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mak0rz posted:

I get legit mad every time they bypass a pile of persimmons and don't slash them into jam.

I don't know what a persimmon is and that makes me angry, therefore I will smash all persimmons from hereon.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Zulu Team? I thought you were trying not to be racist!

poo poo, pack it in Zain it's too late, we were the racists all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CJacobs posted:

I don't know what a persimmon is and that makes me angry, therefore I will smash all persimmons from hereon.

Maybe they're tomatoes, I don't know. I never looked at them long enough before turning them into goo to reveal a box of ammo or even sometimes :10bux:

Melons reveal loot too.

Destroy all the fruit you can, please. They're not around forever!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Destroy all the pyramids you can, please.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Destroy everything, please.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

CJacobs posted:

poo poo, pack it in Zain it's too late, we were the racists all along

To be fair it's in the thread title. Let's Try Not to be Racist, indicating you are already racist and you're trying to hold back.

Also Zulu team was amazing, especially considering what's coming up.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Mak0rz posted:

I get legit mad every time they bypass a pile of persimmons and don't slash them into jam.

I think you're making that up. Persimmons just doesn't sound real at all.

Tommofork posted:

To be fair it's in the thread title. Let's Try Not to be Racist, indicating you are already racist and you're trying to hold back.

Also Zulu team was amazing, especially considering what's coming up.

GOD drat IT! loving I swear I have no part of this. Zulu is normal for Z right? I didn't even know!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Zain posted:

GOD drat IT! loving I swear I have no part of this. Zulu is normal for Z right? I didn't even know!

Yep, it's correct, and it's still amazing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zain posted:

I think you're making that up. Persimmons just doesn't sound real at all.

IIRC, yes, Zulu is the military codespeak for the letter "Z". So, you are correct, in this case.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persimmon

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Ditch the Klobb asap.

Bullet hose weapons always suck in resident evil.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Other potentially racist letters: I, L, Q, Y

Also I think the green fruit is breadfruit. Destroy the breadfruit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AradoBalanga posted:

And somehow during all this time, Claire said nothing to her brother and went off to do her own outlandish stunts, like surviving a large bomb blast with only a bit shrapnel in her ankle.

The Redfield family is a bit crazy. extremely great

I love both of those idiots.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

Ditch the Klobb asap.

Bullet hose weapons always suck in resident evil.

I'd say the TMP in RE4 wasn't bad.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Those Alpha Team guys weren't ragdolling as you were walking over them, they were actually doing a last breath style animation, if you are quick enough, you can see one of the guys near the furnace room look up at you before slumping to the side.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zain posted:

In a game where the red 9 exists who would choose the tmp.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In a game where the red 9 exists who would choose the tmp.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I would, gently caress the Red 9, I always sold that poo poo as soon as the Blacktail became available.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Judge Tesla posted:

I would, gently caress the Red 9, I always sold that poo poo as soon as the Blacktail became available.

Blacktail is a pretty good gun, yeah.

If you're some kind of wiener that prefers speed over blasting Ganados' heads into ground meat with a single 9mm round.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

You're BOTH wrong, Punisher is the best handgun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nope, wrong again. The correct answer is the Arm Cannon.

Tied with the Mega Buster.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can't escape RE4 gun arguments no matter where I go and this isn't even my own let's play! Truly I am a cursed wretch indeed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I can't escape RE4 gun arguments no matter where I go and this isn't even my own let's play! Truly I am a cursed wretch indeed.
It's not you, it's more one of RE4's lasting legacies that is simply inescapable. The guns (especially the pistols and magnums) all had their own unique qualities that made them stand out as well as fit a lot of preferences that players had. Couple that with a game than can beaten using virtually any combination of weapons, ranging from knife-only runs to mine thrower-only runs, and people will almost always debate the guns in RE4 and which is the best one to use.

Compare to RE5, where the guns are more varied in quantity, but don't stand out as much compared to the previous game's selection. Yes, there are some that stand out visually (such the Hydra and Jailbreaker shotguns, even if the latter is a renamed gun from RE4), but at the end of the day, RE5's guns don't hold as much lasting memory as RE4's arsenal does.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

AradoBalanga posted:

It's not you, it's more one of RE4's lasting legacies that is simply inescapable. The guns (especially the pistols and magnums) all had their own unique qualities that made them stand out as well as fit a lot of preferences that players had.

Yeah, seriously. Like in CJ's thread, I had Anil's back on the Blacktail, but in the intervening time, I beat RE4 solo following along with Zain's LP, and I fell in love with the :ghost:/"Handgun" thanks to its bonus critical multiplier unique upgrade. I got to the part where you have to cover Ashley while she's using the wrecking ball, and I got it first try thanks to a string of headsplosions. I happen to like finesse/crit builds in games that allow it (like Fallout 3/NV), so while I can readily admit the Red 9/Blacktail are "better," I'll probably stick with the original next time. And there's nothing like that in RE5.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

You're BOTH wrong, Punisher is the best handgun.

If the rifles didn't also have pierce-through I'd agree, but as it is....

Edit: Silver Ghost, not Silver Eagle.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Yeah the prior RE4 thread I ran had people arguing over the weapons. It's funny that you are all mentioning this because I do believe that the next episode will have a discussion of weapons.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The best gun is the knife.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

biosterous posted:

The best gun is the knife.

If I could get a gun that shot out knives I'd be the happiest person. Krauser Knives specifically.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zain posted:

If I could get a gun that shot out knives I'd be the happiest person. Krauser Knives specifically.
Frank Castle can probably help you with that.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

everyone posted:

best guns
This is the best magnum/handcannon.

Occasionally it gets excited and explodes, healing you.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Zain posted:

It is an excellent weapon, for shooting baddies in the head so you can stun them and then pull out Leons action moves on their infected rears. :razz:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

This is the best magnum/handcannon.

Occasionally it gets excited and explodes, healing you.
Every time I see something new from Warframe I'm surprised. There's all this crazy and interesting stuff that's happened since I left, but then again I recall burning out after having put hundreds of hours into the game.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

It is an excellent weapon, for shooting baddies in the head so you can stun them and then pull out Leons action moves on their infected rears. :razz:

Leon is ALL about style after all. As long as you style and profile you win~ That's the Leon way... THE AMERICAN WAY!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: New update coming straight to your interweb tubes :siren:

Episode Three: Let us evaluate the equation TV=P where T is time for any given task and V is velocity in which things travel... And P is poop Part three: Cut

So we've finished up Chapter 1 relatively unstacthed I like to think. DESPITE CJacob's best efforts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am so sorry

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Also I want people to watch the cut version for my pro as hell editing skills! Generally I'm not much for tooting my own horn here but god drat that was like the most perfect edit to ever happen. Honestly all you have to watch is at the 33:11 minute mark.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Unlike in RE4 where you see Leon's head go flying when he gets chainsawed, you don't lose your top in 5 when the same happens, the game cuts away because nothing happens to your character model, it's just camera trickery and the devs not wanting to animate you getting gibbed.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Isn't that more to do with bizarre Japanese censorship issues rather than just stubborn laziness? The Japanese version of RE4 doesn't feature decapitations either.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Yeah the Japanese don't really like the whole head popping off thing. Every version of at least RE4 doesn't have the head flying off. That being said, it's hard to say what the heck went on here? They might have thought there's no need for the extra effort.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Pretty much, it seems like that sort of "well if we can't have it, you can't have it either" thinking with newer RE titles when it comes to showing the player just how badly they hosed up against whatever monster just killed 'em. Generic "oh no I fell over" animations seem to be the norm too, which is a bit crap really, and there's lots of lost potential when you take into account the monster designs.

That being said, they actually did up their game significantly with the various ways to die in RE6. There's no instance of a head falling off anyone's shoulders, but there is a whole bunch of creatively gruesome ways to make you feel like some sort of helpless idiot when something kills you.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Isn't that more to do with bizarre Japanese censorship issues rather than just stubborn laziness? The Japanese version of RE4 doesn't feature decapitations either.

Resident Evil has a history of Japanese releases having violence edited to avoid what was essentially an AO rating. Getting hit with such a rating limits the stores you can ship to, how you can promote your game in stores, and your target audience in Japan. Most of console game buying audience in Japan tend to be teenagers and adolescents and rating standards reflect that.

Furthermore, there were a string of incidents in Japan where people, including children, were kidnapped and beheaded by either cults or individuals. So videogame companies wanted to avoid drawing any controversy to their games. Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox is another game where the character's ability to behead enemies was censored in Japan and PAL territories.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

I love how the best air support the BSAA can manage is a dude hanging out a helicopter door with a soviet surplus rocket launcher.

Channeling your inner vermintide player, I see. :thumbsup:

The inventory system was designed by jigsaw.

I see you found N64 doomguy's chainsaw. N64 doomguy can't be far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sunning posted:

Furthermore, there were a string of incidents in Japan where people, including children, were kidnapped and beheaded by either cults or individuals.
Figured that something like this would be part of the reasoning behind the censorship. It still manages to be weirdly inconsistent throughout the series though, RE3 in particular somehow getting the censorship deal somewhat backward; booting a crawling zombie's head off is possible in the Japanese version, but not in Western releases.

• Locked thread