Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jesus I keep forgetting how loving huge Chris is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gimbal lock posted:

Stop resisting, citizen

This thread is going to be great.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I love how they added a unlockable steroid-Chris option to the RE1 HD ReMake. It looks hilarious side by side.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The funny thing is that such physique is actually attainable, given the appropriate genetics and not being very tall (or steroids, or both), but being that huge as an operative is plain stupid, as this requires an insane amount of calories to maintain and fucks with cardiovascular endurance, which is a must

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spalec posted:

I love how they added a unlockable steroid-Chris option to the RE1 HD ReMake. It looks hilarious side by side.

It's more hilarious when you realize that it is about 11 years in-universe between RE1 (1998) and RE5 (2009). So, in the span of roughly a decade, Chris goes from a normalish build into Buff Slamchest.

Also, the "deer in headlights" eyes are making it even more hilarious.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spalec posted:

Lovin' Wesker in the back just being like "steroids again, Chris? Come on man"

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I do like how you can see how tactical gear has evolved between then and now.

I also like how the years have changed the shape of Chris's skull.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

drkeiscool posted:

I do like how you can see how tactical gear has evolved between then and now.

I also like how the years have changed the shape of Chris's skull.

Implying that Chris had a shape of the skull in non-HD RE1 :colbert:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Gimbal lock posted:

Stop resisting, citizen

Hehe! This brightened up a kinda lovely day. Thank you for that.

So there will be an update today, but UGH! I'm so down over the passing of David Bowie. He was a great man.

AradoBalanga posted:

It's more hilarious when you realize that it is about 11 years in-universe between RE1 (1998) and RE5 (2009). So, in the span of roughly a decade, Chris goes from a normalish build into Buff Slamchest.

I'm going to try to remember to use the name Buff Slamchest when referring to Chris from now on.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Punch Rockfist

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thick McRunfast

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Roll Fizzlebeef.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bolt Vanderhuge

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Grunt McBrickhouse.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Tricep van Guns

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Reef BlastBody

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AradoBalanga posted:

I think the implication is supposed to be that after his hilariously stupid attempt to take Wesker on with a lead pipe in Code Veronica, Chris started taking a lot of steroids and punching beef to prepare to avenge the rear end-kicking he took.

Chris is not a very smart guy, and it's great.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Night10194 posted:

I think the implication is supposed to be that after his hilariously stupid attempt to take Wesker on with a lead pipe in Code Veronica, Chris started taking a lot of steroids and punching beef to prepare to avenge the rear end-kicking he took.

Hey, let's be fair. In a world with the sort of ridiculous bio-nonsense that RE has, Chris' strategy may not be that silly. Especially since his strength does come in handy during the game.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Chris does have a fantastic nickname as a result of something he does right at the end of the game, so I can't spoil it, but... just remember this MST3K name derail when the time comes.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Slab Squatthrust

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Flex Sixpack

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Grunt Hardbeef

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sonic Hedgehog

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
these are all valid XCOM names, too

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Gristle McThornbody

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:siren: UPDATE TIME :siren:

Part Two: Leach Monster Mc Black Blood Part Two: Cut

We learn the thread title IMMEDIATELY! Thanks to CJacobs.

Also thank you everyone for the awesome names~ That bit is really the best and it's so fitting here.

Zain fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 11, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am the worst guest. :allears:

edit: Also, I am wrong about the eggs turning into different eggs. Yet another case of my egg misuse in RE games.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 11, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You are the worst guest and that's what makes you the best one! Don't worry I still love you.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm assuming they don't let you trade weapons with your co-op partner due to how much in-game money you can invest in upgrading them. If you gave your fully pimped-out weapon to some random Internet person and they didn't give it back...

Something that happened in the video but you didn't really comment on was combo moves. From memory there are three(?) escalating melee moves each character can do, and the way it works is that if (say) player 1 does their move 1 on a particular not-zombie, player 2 can do their move 2, and then player 1 can do their move 3. (Assuming the not-zombie in question somehow remains standing through all this pummelling.) It's been a few years so I could be a little fuzzy on some of that, but I think that's how it goes.

"Now is the time for grenade!" is a much better grenade warning than "frag out!". :v:

Fighting that black worm/tentacle boss is more difficult in singleplayer, but I don't think you necessarily have to trigger the furnace and then run into it to bait the boss into staying in there. From memory (again) you can also shoot its standard-issue glowing orange weak spots to knock it down - while it's in the furnace, obviously - and then quickly run out and turn the furnace on before it regenerates.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure Chris's biceps count as beta and charlie teams

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

When you heal your partner you both get healed the same amount regardless of the item used. The reason why the green herbs didn't heal a lot when Zain used them is because it was a single green herb, which never heal a lot. You need to combine them with another green (moderate heal) or a red herb (full heal) to get the effect.

Antistar01 posted:

I'm assuming they don't let you trade weapons with your co-op partner due to how much in-game money you can invest in upgrading them. If you gave your fully pimped-out weapon to some random Internet person and they didn't give it back...

I never played the PC version so it might be different, but in the Xbox version your weapons are tethered to your account/file and you can't trade them with other players under any circumstances. You can trade them between Sheva and Chris on the same single player file, though.

Antistar01 posted:

Fighting that black worm/tentacle boss is more difficult in singleplayer, but I don't think you necessarily have to trigger the furnace and then run into it to bait the boss into staying in there. From memory (again) you can also shoot its standard-issue glowing orange weak spots to knock it down - while it's in the furnace, obviously - and then quickly run out and turn the furnace on before it regenerates.

Yeah, I think this is the intended strategy. It's always how I've done it (and how we did it during a recent playthrough with my girlfriend). That said, I have never seen the Uroboros boss survive an incineration attempt and I've played through this game way more times than I should admit. I have no idea what happened there :psyduck:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 12, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
1) Eggs do not mature into better eggs. I know this because I played the hell out of this game. You just find better eggs.

2) A mostly-undamaged tentacle boss will take 2 furnaces to kill. Again, know this because I played the hell out of this game.

3) The combo thing Antistar is speaking of goes like this: pincer-formation a Majini. Shoot him in the arm, use the contextual melee with one of the characters to push him into the other character. The other character will then have a prompt to use their contextual melee attack to push the Majini back to the original character. Then the first character will get a unique melee prompt allowing them to perform their most powerful melee attack. There will be enemies later on that are easier to use this combo on. i know this because I have the RE5 guide right next to me... and I played the hell out of this game.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

3) The combo thing Antistar is speaking of goes like this: pincer-formation a Majini. Shoot him in the arm, use the contextual melee with one of the characters to push him into the other character. The other character will then have a prompt to use their contextual melee attack to push the Majini back to the original character. Then the first character will get a unique melee prompt allowing them to perform their most powerful melee attack. There will be enemies later on that are easier to use this combo on. i know this because I have the RE5 guide right next to me... and I played the hell out of this game.

It'll be a few updates before we try this, but CJacobs! We need to try this ASAP!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Zain posted:

It'll be a few updates before we try this, but CJacobs! We need to try this ASAP!

You should keep in mind, however, that with Sheva especially, there are some enemies you cannot perform a finisher (I'm going to call the super-powered melee attacks this) on, for reasons that may become apparent. But do it. It's fun. And it's very ~teamwork~.

And glad to help.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zain posted:

Hell yeah we do.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

Yes, that's a clearer way to put it; thanks.

It's very satisfying to pull off; they did a good job with the melee animations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

You guys should be beating up the piles of fruit, too.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Night10194 posted:

And somehow during all this time, Claire said nothing to her brother and went off to do her own outlandish stunts, like surviving a large bomb blast with only a bit shrapnel in her ankle.

The Redfield family is a bit crazy.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jyrraeth posted:

You guys should be beating up the piles of fruit, too.

I get legit mad every time they bypass a pile of persimmons and don't slash them into jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Zulu Team? I thought you were trying not to be racist!

• Locked thread