Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Fun fact: Resident Evil 5 is Capcom's best selling game with 6.9 million copies. Resident Evil 6 follows at 6.3 million copies. Street Fighter 2 probably beats both if you combine all the re-releases and updates together.

Another Fun Fact: Resident Evil 5's setting, music, and visual look was based on Ridley Scott's Black Hawk Down which was set in war torn Somalia. Come to think of it, Black Hawk Down had a big influence on shooters of that generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Zain posted:

This sorta saddens me a bit. I don't know why but like part of me looks at RE6 getting nearly as many sales is just mind boggling.

Even though it wasn't the blockbuster hit Capcom wanted at $60, RE6 has found long term success at budget prices. It's sold around 750K copies on Steam alone. When you come down to it, it's a fairly competent and feature rich game that can be enjoyed by fans of co-op shooters.

Now, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City selling 2 million copies is worth being sad about.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Isn't that more to do with bizarre Japanese censorship issues rather than just stubborn laziness? The Japanese version of RE4 doesn't feature decapitations either.

Resident Evil has a history of Japanese releases having violence edited to avoid what was essentially an AO rating. Getting hit with such a rating limits the stores you can ship to, how you can promote your game in stores, and your target audience in Japan. Most of console game buying audience in Japan tend to be teenagers and adolescents and rating standards reflect that.

Furthermore, there were a string of incidents in Japan where people, including children, were kidnapped and beheaded by either cults or individuals. So videogame companies wanted to avoid drawing any controversy to their games. Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox is another game where the character's ability to behead enemies was censored in Japan and PAL territories.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sunning posted:

Fun fact: Resident Evil 5 is Capcom's best selling game with 6.9 million copies. Resident Evil 6 follows at 6.3 million copies. Street Fighter 2 probably beats both if you combine all the re-releases and updates together.

Resident Evil 5 is now at 7 million copies. Resident Evil 6 is now at 6.4 million.

bman in 2288 posted:

The AI partner is basically all sorts of terrible and you should never play this game alone. I remember her doing this the first time I tried fighting the... that thing (I don't have my guide on me right now), and it kind of turned me off of Prox. mines afterwards because I could never get her to leave them alone.

Please, for the love of god, never play this game by yourself, the partner algorithm is terrible.

I think priority goes healing > saving partner > Picking up items (cover) > knifing open boxes > combo attack > shooting enemies. At least it felt like that in my experience.

In cover mode, she'll prioritize using melee and hand guns over heavy weapons and explosives. In attack mode, it's the opposite.

• Locked thread