Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Just recently replayed this (twice) with a buddy, so since it's all still relatively fresh in my mind I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure. That and I just love the RE series (for the most part), so I was bound to take a look once I saw a new topic.

I never really "got" where all the hate for RE5 (or RE6 for that matter) came from. Okay sure, you're no longer wandering around on your own, but RE was never truly scary (in the "o lawd now I'm going to have scary bad dreams" sense) anyway. What was scary was thinking "oh gently caress I don't want to run into another one of those bastards!" whenever you were on the verge of death, and that element has generally remained intact throughout. But whatever, it's that "muh survival horror" bandwagon garbage so gently caress it. Outside of those loving QTE surprises and the occasional moment where Chris/Sheva will seem to control sluggishly like a confused drunk when the action heats up, I have very few problems with RE5.

As for the controversy... hah! What a load of bollocks. I mean, god forbid that there are Africans in Africa! Who would have thought of such a thing! But if for whatever reason you're still concerned, Capcom decided to throw in a bunch of villagers from all o'er the world before release, including a bunch of white guys in very European/North America garb, and the very bizarre Josef Stalin/Saddam Hussein hybrids in white pyjamas. Lots of them. In West Africa. Yes.

Edit:
Oh Jesus Christ the remnants of that loving GFWL garbage caused the same issues here. Disconnections for no discernible reason causing several chapter replays.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

You're BOTH wrong, Punisher is the best handgun.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Isn't that more to do with bizarre Japanese censorship issues rather than just stubborn laziness? The Japanese version of RE4 doesn't feature decapitations either.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Pretty much, it seems like that sort of "well if we can't have it, you can't have it either" thinking with newer RE titles when it comes to showing the player just how badly they hosed up against whatever monster just killed 'em. Generic "oh no I fell over" animations seem to be the norm too, which is a bit crap really, and there's lots of lost potential when you take into account the monster designs.

That being said, they actually did up their game significantly with the various ways to die in RE6. There's no instance of a head falling off anyone's shoulders, but there is a whole bunch of creatively gruesome ways to make you feel like some sort of helpless idiot when something kills you.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sunning posted:

Furthermore, there were a string of incidents in Japan where people, including children, were kidnapped and beheaded by either cults or individuals.
Figured that something like this would be part of the reasoning behind the censorship. It still manages to be weirdly inconsistent throughout the series though, RE3 in particular somehow getting the censorship deal somewhat backward; booting a crawling zombie's head off is possible in the Japanese version, but not in Western releases.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Zain posted:

You won't be disappointed! It's either we both gently caress up or he kills us.
I can think of a few sections where my *ahem* "partner" managed to gently caress things up a good number of times on our first run through the game, so I'll be waiting for those sections in this LP to see if either of you end up using the same lovely excuses for getting someone killed!

Also, I know the end of the main game is still some way off, but are you planning to do any Mercenaries stuff as a bonus after? If it'll sway you into saying "yes", there'll be a whole extra bunch of ways available for CJacobs to screw things up!

Inferior posted:

I'm playing through Resi 6 for the first time at the moment, and read this just after loving up a QTE and seeing Leon get forced into a mincing machine.

It was pretty tame, but still... uuurgh.
Ha! They may not be as explicitly/visibly gory as they should be in some cases, but I just love how creative the deaths are in RE6 (especially compared to RE5). Nearly everything kills you in its own unique way, with very few deaths just using a generic "somethin' got you" animation. The meatgrinder in particular was one of those which got me thinking "well, I definitely don't want to gently caress things up again there".

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Found one. The 2000 IS-DT, which sounds like a top-secret Soviet tank gun and will set you back $2,200. Bit of a high price just to mash A+D for 30 seconds, but who am I to judge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Fish Noise posted:

Once you've seen the thorns, all you have to do is not jump in like an idiot.
Jesus loving Christ why would anyone do this?

• Locked thread