Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
You can't count manmade summits like my local mountain, Mount Trashmore (an old garbage dump) even if it is the tallest thing around.

So with that being said my favorite midwest summits are that one hill in northwest Illinois, and a big rock in southwest Wisconsin that overlooks a trout stream. It's like 200 feet tall!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Fire towers and parking garages. Oh, oops. How about trees? Can trees count?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
My favorite is the top of the Hancock. It's the third-highest point in Illinois, and you can hike to the top once a year.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The X-man cometh posted:

My favorite is the top of the Hancock. It's the third-highest point in Illinois, and you can hike to the top once a year.

What's taller than it. Sears and ?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Trump, allegedly.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

mastershakeman posted:

You can't count manmade summits like my local mountain, Mount Trashmore (an old garbage dump) even if it is the tallest thing around.

So with that being said my favorite midwest summits are that one hill in northwest Illinois, and a big rock in southwest Wisconsin that overlooks a trout stream. It's like 200 feet tall!!!

Is starved rock in Illinois? I can't remember

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It is, but the trails are mostly in canyons so there's no view. Buffalo Rock has a nice view, but I can't find any pictures I've taken.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Starved Rock had so much trash in it. I was quite surprised.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

lol perfect for the midwest, living in Illinois sucks

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Taum Sauk is pretty cool. It's got some pretty fun trails around around the 'peak'.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

TLG James posted:

Starved Rock had so much trash in it. I was quite surprised.

I saw none when I was there. :iiam: it was beautiful and serene. Otherworldly. Maquoketa was great too! And.... Wherever that castle is in Clinton Iowa.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Inspiration Peak is the highest peak of the Leaf Hills Moraines and of Otter Tail County in the U.S. State of Minnesota. It is 22 miles (36 km) northwest of Alexandria. The peak rises about 400 feet (122 m) above the surrounding plains, to an elevation of about 1750 feet (533 m) above sea level.[1] It is the central feature of Inspiration Peak State Wayside Park, a small park maintained by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, which manages it from nearby Lake Carlos State Park. The wayside has a paved parking lot and a picnic area. The hike to the top is a short but strenuous walk up a well-worn trail from the parking lot.[1]

"strenuous" lol yeah ok duder

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
It's not the Pacific Crest trail, but southeastern Ohio has some pretty great vistas and foothills

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Is there a list of which states have a man-made object as there tallest point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's not the Pacific Crest trail, but southeastern Ohio has some pretty great vistas and foothills

Hocking Hills?

• Locked thread