Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Akileese posted:

I cannot imagine them giving AJ and Nakamura "WWE" names. You do not sign guys like that and rename them. I bet they get Samoa Joe deals.

AJ maybe, but if they renamed KENTA and Devitt they're renaming Nakamura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Nakamura is staying a few months, btw. He isn't done yet!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

I wonder if there's the faintest possibility of them changing his mind? The other guys truthfully they can afford to lose.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

When does Ibushi come back? :ohdear:

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
I can't wait to see the best wrestlers in the world work squash matches against anonymous Performance Center guys.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Thauros posted:

Conventional wisdom suggests that they don't rename guys who are there for NXT and NXT only, but there's Asuka, so who even knows.

If they rename AJ they're going to have to put him in a perpetual Roman Reigns vest or something to cover his flank tat.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Thauros posted:

Weren't these both back in 2013 before NXT started the full transition to touring brand? I'm sure at the time it was thought either one would be main roster bound and not used for a draw in NXT. Samoa Joe was May last year.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

Conventional wisdom suggests that they don't rename guys who are there for NXT and NXT only, but there's Asuka, so who even knows.

If they rename AJ they're going to have to put him in a perpetual Roman Reigns vest or something to cover his flank tat.

That's why I said AJ can maybe keep his name because he fits into the exact same category as Joe. They always seem to rename the people from Japan though

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Weren't these both back in 2013 before NXT started the full transition to touring brand? I'm sure at the time it was thought either one would be main roster bound and not used for a draw in NXT. Samoa Joe was May last year.

Kana/Asuka just 3 months go

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Hace posted:

Kana/Asuka just 3 months go

honestly forgot about that

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Would the Kana name have drawn beyond the community of women's wrestling marks who would have followed her name change anyway? Samoa Joe is a Name name by comparison. Casual American fans would know who he is.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Do you think that Nakamura is going to be recognized by the casual fan?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Last night's main may have been the hottest match but Nakamura is still the king of NJPW, so this would be big for their business IMO.

Anderson and AJ? Sure. Especially Machine Gun, who has that backstage help and is as close to a NJPW guy as can be. But Nakamura would be a massive loss.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
There's still a lot up in the air, name changes are the least of it. I'm pretty curious if they'll try to do their own knock-off Bullet Club stable when they have 4 former BC members.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hace posted:

Whether they do or not, I think "Japanese Michael Jackson who beats the poo poo out of people" is a gimmick that is gonna work just fine in WWE.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Jerusalem posted:

Whether they do or not, I think "Japanese Michael Jackson who beats the poo poo out of people" is a gimmick that is gonna work just fine in WWE.

Was just referring to the whole name change thing

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Thauros posted:

I wonder if there's the faintest possibility of them changing his mind? The other guys truthfully they can afford to lose.

I wonder about this too considering the contracts typically are one year and roll over at the start of the year. I know AJ was working without a contract per Dave but I'm curious to see if they just make Nakamura a godfather offer to stay.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
The thing to keep in mind for anyone worried is that this is a cyclical industry and New Japan has been flirting with being on the valley-side of business for several months now. Peaks will come again. We've been here before; the late 00s weren't a picnic. The good news is the company has more solid infrastructure now, and there's a lot of talent all over the place. I'm excited for everyone.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
What about Rocky

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I'm really curious what NXT and NJPW are going to look like in 6 months, and this time next year

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Food Court Druid posted:

I can't wait to see the best wrestlers in the world work squash matches against anonymous Performance Center guys.

Is it any worse than seeing them phone it in on smaller NJPW shows?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

What about Rocky

Short

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
hard to tell who came out on top with this b/c NJPW got CJ Parker

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Spermgod posted:

Is it any worse than seeing them phone it in on smaller NJPW shows?

Yeah

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

oatgan posted:

I'm really curious what NXT and NJPW are going to look like in 6 months, and this time next year

Midcard win traders all around

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MotU posted:

hard to tell who came out on top with this b/c NJPW got CJ Parker

It was kinda bizarre seeing him around for the entire show at ringside/helping guys exit etc. He seemed really happy though, even being a Young Boy is probably more fun than being CJ Parker.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Well, this accelerated the past few years of complacent booking coming back to bite them that was going to happen eventually anyway. I have little sympathy since the reason you never get complacent is exactly so you're prepared for a disaster scenario like this; it's not like the same thing hasn't happened time and time again before. Short term this is undoubtedly bad news, long term the question is whether NJPW retreats even further into their safety zone (even more Okada/Tanahashi) or is prepared to take risks in pushing new guys, in which case it could actually be a real benefit for the product, both aesthetically and business-wise, in the long term.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's not as if the business in the 90's didn't benefit from aggressive competition, especially when it came to midcard workers. Not that anyone really competes with WWE proper, but NXT does, and that's what will continue to make it a Good Product, mark support or no.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 5, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was going to say that Shibata is a good young guy they can probably do something with, but I looked it up and holy poo poo I had no idea he was 36.

At least their top champion is still in his 20s.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
One huge strength NJPW has over ROH or whatever is that WWE is only ever going to want a couple Japanese wrestlers on their roster at any one time. They really need to invest in cultivating home grown talent as well as having their pick of the best guys on the Japanese indies, something they seem to be attempting with this Lion's Gate deal.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Nakamura-sama WHY :cry:

You just know dude is going to have to lose the Bome-Ye knee.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Hace posted:

I had no idea who he was until a friend sent me a clip of WK9 and I instantly understood that he's the most charismatic motherfucker on the planet and one of the best wrestlers as well. I regret not being able to see Nakamura in Brooklyn this past summer because I was at NXT, but if this works out right, I'll be able to see Nakamura at NXT this upcoming summer. I am tremendously excited.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Nakamura coming out to a gong and generic butt rock before having a five minute match with Ryback, 2017 Raw.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Gonzo McFee posted:

Nakamura coming out to a gong and generic butt rock before having a five minute match with Ryback, 2017 Raw.

Dang...rip to Subconscious...

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Nakamura is going to WWE? :(

gently caress, is that actually confirmed anywhere?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

When is Ibushi supposed to be back?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Nakamura is going to WWE? :(

gently caress, is that actually confirmed anywhere?

Reported by MLW, confirmed by the Observer. Nakamura will be around a little longer presumably to drop the IC Title, and they're all going to fulfill their bookings in Vegas next month for ROH.

I hope Ibushi is back in time to win the IC Belt from Nakamura.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Just...god dammit.

I don't want reasons to give WWE money dammit. Every aspect of their production pisses me off. Matt Striker, Kevin Kelly and Yoshi-Tasu are a HUGE step up from JBL, Cole and King

Anyway, Just finished watching Wrestlekingdom. God drat was that an awesome show!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BigRed0427 posted:

Matt Striker, Kevin Kelly and Yoshi-Tasu are a HUGE step up from JBL, Cole and King

eeeeeeeeeeh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Matt Striker, Kevin Kelly and Yoshi-Tasu are a HUGE step up from JBL, Cole and King

look, i know njpw is great and all but you don't have to make poo poo up

• Locked thread