Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

there won't be a third season

See that's what I thought, but then some goons said HBO really doesn't have a choice at this point, plus Nicky is paid for until '18, then Matt MaConahey started talking about how he's pushing to be in the next season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, they ordered two more at the end of the first season so it's pretty much a sure thing.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0118322/ nothing I have seen lately is worse than this.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

BillmasterCozb posted:

its the nutshack
its the nutshack
its the nutshack

gently caress you for reminding me this exists.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

See that's what I thought, but then some goons said HBO really doesn't have a choice at this point, plus Nicky is paid for until '18, then Matt MaConahey started talking about how he's pushing to be in the next season

I thought I heard that both parties opted out of the contract or something, but I could be mistaken. I really hope McConaughey doesn't force himself into the script. A cameo could be fine but I'd like for the series to remain an anthology.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
every time I accidentally watch a bit of Everybody Loves Raymond I feel like it sucks away a part of my soul and I feel a little more hollow inside

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
For some reason I thought of Century City, a short-lived, pretty standard legal show, except it's set in THE FUTURE. I remember watching one episode and it just being meh, whatever, but check looking at the episode descripions I'm wondering how this wasn't the best show ever:

It's like a proto-Black Mirror, but like the bad episodes

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 20, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

every time I accidentally watch a bit of Everybody Loves Raymond I feel like it sucks away a part of my soul and I feel a little more hollow inside

I worked in an environment where sick, elderly people would turn the TV on and watch CBS or one of those networks that constantly reruns Everybody Loves Raymond and other old people shows. I wished OSHA would implement some kind-of A/V scrambler for the TVs when anyone under the age of 40 walks into the room.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

General Dog posted:

For some reason I thought of Century City, a short-lived, pretty standard legal show, except it's set in THE FUTURE. I remember watching one episode and it just being meh, whatever, but check looking at the episode descripions I'm wondering how this wasn't the best show ever:

I actually love that show, even though they really should have made the B plots the core of the episode. "Nanorape SVU" was lovely compared to the case of the child actor who trying to emancipate himself from his parents so he can take age-suppression pills so he can continue his sitcom career and the "Rehashed "Flowers For Algernon" Bree Turner is a dickgirl" episode has one of the best parodies of erectile dysfunction ads where it's women talking about their dick implants while doing yoga stretches and talking about going into business meeting "packing". It also has one of the greatest pieces of dialogue...

quote:

"Oh, my landlord had one of those"
"What, he wasn't "packing" already?" :flaccid:
"Now he has two!" :awesome: :awesome:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dexter was lovely right from the start and the only people that think otherwise are very poorly-versed in fiction or severely emotionally stunted.

Seriously, the first season is about how the lead character, a super awesome serial killer that's TOTALLY JUST A FLAWED GOOD GUY WE PROMISE, finds out about his TRAGIC PAST while doing battle with his actual long-lost evil brother, and it's all played completely straight.

It's certainly not the worst show ever or anything, particularly in a world where Everybody Loves Raymond and Kevin Spencer exist, but I'll never understand the people who were pissed about the ending and saying it was good until it got dumb in the last season when the show literally opened with that absurdity.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A more dramatic show about Rita would have been better than Benevolent Serial Killer

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dexter was campy as poo poo, but it was at least captivating at first, if you allowed yourself to be pulled in.

Beyond the end of season 4, though, any remnants of that dissipated very quickly.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CannedMacabre posted:

The Mentalist was exceptionally bad.

It was corny, had its stereotypical characters, but the main bad guy (Red John) was intriguing that kept me watching.
Now this was a serial killer who hosed up Jane just because he talked poo poo about him for a few minutes on live TV.
And was always one step ahead of them, every way.

Pity how they had to shoe horn him being revealed so quick in the end. And the last season or two after Red John is poo poo.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Non-Canadians look up Just for Laughs Gags or Knuckleheads or LOL to see the kind of poo poo tv Quebec keeps excreting.
Just for Laughs (the english language stand up comedy showcase) and a sketch show called YB Normal from like 1999 are the only tolerable shows Quebec has produced in it's entire history. The Traditional french comedy from the Just for Laughs festival is so notoriously bad nobody airs it. Maybe not even Quebec tv stations. The province's major cultural export is a lame prank show only the severely elderly can tolerate.

To summarize: Quebec makes the worst TV shows, but limited distribution means few people see them. What is it about French that makes everything it touches profoundly unfunny?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Sten Freak posted:

How is Grey's Anatomy still on? I saw a commercial the other day and was shocked. Not saying it's worst ever but 11 or whatever seasons really?

because Shonda Rhimes basically owns ABC at this stage

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Millions of Crows posted:

Non-Canadians look up Just for Laughs Gags or Knuckleheads or LOL to see the kind of poo poo tv Quebec keeps excreting.
Just for Laughs (the english language stand up comedy showcase) and a sketch show called YB Normal from like 1999 are the only tolerable shows Quebec has produced in it's entire history. The Traditional french comedy from the Just for Laughs festival is so notoriously bad nobody airs it. Maybe not even Quebec tv stations. The province's major cultural export is a lame prank show only the severely elderly can tolerate.

To summarize: Quebec makes the worst TV shows, but limited distribution means few people see them. What is it about French that makes everything it touches profoundly unfunny?

Shut your mouth. JFL has a decent 1 gold for every 4 pranks, living in Quebec must be some sort of surreal experience where you never trust that cops have bullets in their guns

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

because Shonda Rhimes basically owns ABC at this stage

And somehow she is still better than both MacFarlane, who owns Fox, and Lorre, who owns CBS.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
https://youtu.be/5gRGS0CHQHM this show was pretty terrible. At least the video games redeemed it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

They used to show Just For Laughs in the UK back in the late 90s early 2000s.
It was 'strange' as it was so tame. We would have swearing and such all night, then this would come on and its 'whats the deal with airline food' blandness.
It was our first introduction to US/Canadian comedy back at the time, even when the UK comedians appeared they were using their kid birthday party material so not to offend anyone.
Was bizarre watching it.

Edit: Oh, and the first 2 minutes of EVERYONES act is 'Im sure happy to be here in Montreal...'.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 20, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

General Dog posted:

I honestly think a lot of these are great premises for a sci-fi short story. But most writers don't have the talent to handle them well, and doing it week after week has got to be draining--even Star Trek had to have episodes that were just about showcasing a character or a good ol' fashioned laser shootout.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

General Dog posted:

Sci-fi is good at making people ponder about things, such as would you rather die or be retarded?

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
After the first few seasons Homeland got totally awful. It was such a disappointing running off of the rails of a really interesting premise (bipolar CIA agent has to deal with her condition, sometimes helping her to see things that others miss but also leading her to do manic paranoid poo poo; opposite the prisoner of war manchurian candidate who has to balance his love for his family with all of his secret lives, and Mandy Patinkin), even if it was pretty much designed from the offset as a propaganda remake. It just got so drat contrived

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
It did have its moments though lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kswm6a2Df1Q

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

BillmasterCozb posted:

its the nutshack
its the nutshack
its the nutshack

I looked that up and checking out its IMDb page I found the following gem of a description in the "you may also like" section:

quote:

Wild Grinders

Some weird Guy who makes vlogs or something like that I don't know I didn't watched a hole(sic) episode because it is horrible

Sounds riveting

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

As I sit here reading this from Montreal (originally from NB), I have to agree, whole-heartedly. I once complained about JFL gags (I used to love the actual stand-up episodes) and was kind of jumped on by my wife's family for making GBS threads on this wonderfully comedic tradition.

Holy poo poo, I can't stand that kind of humour. The French, as people, are fine, but goddamn is some of their comedy is the lamest crap.

This makes me want to hurt myself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z90szR0q1YU

On the better side of Quebecois humour, Sugar Sammy isn't bad, but you're lost if you don't understand both languages (I barely know French).

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Nothing lowers my opinion of a person more than hearing they were a fan of Xavier Renegade Angel.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

CannedMacabre posted:

You know that's right!

You heard about Pluto? That's messed up, right?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
MAD TV. Because not only was it terrible and unfunny but Comedy Central replaced reruns of Kids in the Hall they used to show during the day with MAD TV. Someone ought to get jail time for a decision like that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Gaunab posted:

Sci-fi is good at making people ponder about things, such as would you rather die or be retarded?

Better the devil you know

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Wow. More people came to the defense of Mentalist than I would have thought. Shame on you all.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Imagined posted:

MAD TV. Because not only was it terrible and unfunny but Comedy Central replaced reruns of Kids in the Hall they used to show during the day with MAD TV. Someone ought to get jail time for a decision like that.

MADtv had maybe 2 funny actors on the cast in its entire run. And that's kind of impressive.

Comedy Central is also a network that paid to air Conan O'Brian reruns, and gave up on that right away. They're just made of bad scheduling decisions.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rocket_man38 posted:

https://youtu.be/5gRGS0CHQHM this show was pretty terrible. At least the video games redeemed it.

:( I never knew they actually adapted it for tv. I always thought OWoD would make a good tv show. But of course it being the 90s it got handed over to the loving Spellings. Anything they made was at best so bad its good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I believe Kindred did well enough that it probably would've gotten another season if the star hadn't died in a motorcycle crash.

Notably, it had to change the roleplaying game's mythology because they couldn't afford to film at night all the time; therefore, vampires don't burn to ashes in sunlight.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hrist posted:

MADtv had maybe 2 funny actors on the cast in its entire run. And that's kind of impressive.

Comedy Central is also a network that paid to air Conan O'Brian reruns, and gave up on that right away. They're just made of bad scheduling decisions.

Mad TV had a bunch of talented funny people over the years. I can't find it right now but there is an interview with a guy who worked there and he says that so many sketches that were great were nixed by a powerful guy because they weren't his sense of humor. So if you ever watched a skit and thought it was just so stupid, there were much funnier sketches written that were never made because some rear end in a top hat in charge thought Stuart going "look at me" was the pinnacle of comedy.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

CannedMacabre posted:

Wow. More people came to the defense of Mentalist than I would have thought. Shame on you all.

:anime:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

Mad TV had a bunch of talented funny people over the years. I can't find it right now but there is an interview with a guy who worked there and he says that so many sketches that were great were nixed by a powerful guy because they weren't his sense of humor. So if you ever watched a skit and thought it was just so stupid, there were much funnier sketches written that were never made because some rear end in a top hat in charge thought Stuart going "look at me" was the pinnacle of comedy.

I heard that at some point the Stuart guy eventually had to demand a thing in his contract that he would only have to do the character X number of times per season, and that he wasn't allowed to just drop it entirely.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

I've never seen this show but everyone I know who watched it (including every single goon who watched it) hate it with the power of a million burning suns.

If it's not the worst TV show of all time, it might be the most hated TV show of all time (relative to the small number of people who actually caught it).

I decided to watch the pilot to see if it was as bad as everyone said it was. It was worse.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!
You people are terrible at watching television and having opinions.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I had sex and now dad is dead. He died a horrible death because I had incredible sex. It's just the way life works.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

bog savant posted:

Nothing lowers my opinion of a person more than hearing they were a fan of Xavier Renegade Angel.

This is a weird one, because I mentioned earlier that I hated Perfect Hair Forever (watching for the first time two days ago). But my college roommates and I legit loved Xavier Renegade Angel. You're right though, today I have a very low opinion of college me.

• Locked thread