Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
mr. pickles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
walking dead
game of thrones
you're the worst
tosh.0

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Lost girl

In fact a lot of original canadian tv shows just suck rear end.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

The attempt to turn Car Talk into an animated series on PBS in 2008. No one asked for this.

There seems to be consensus here on the Real Housewives franchise, though I was intrigued by Camille Paglia gushing about it for pages and comparing the creator to Fassbinder. Possibly straight-faced satire.

Pop show I didn't get: My Name Is Earl.

that's because they're busy showing reruns of mtv shows. which are horrible. who watches guy code and why?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Ren and stimpy

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

oldpainless posted:

The wife is a loving bitch on KoQ

Only because the husband is a lazy idiot.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Maury is great

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

I have a seething distaste for a lot of modern military-themed docu-shows.

I don't like those shows because they're so Europe focused with occasional lip service paid to samurai and ninjas. Always samurai and ninjas. I know they probably do it because the target audience is old white people but it gets predictable after a while.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I almost want to see allen gregory since this thread is almost 20 pages of hate towards it

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Arian_Samurai posted:

"Low Winter Sun" is potentially the worst show ever, however no one knows since no one ever watched it.

It was on after Breaking Bad. Eventually AMC replaced it with a round-table discussion show called "Talking Bad" where guests would talk about how awesome Breaking Bad was.

Can I nominate Talking Dead? I don't understand the appeal of having the creators discuss the previously aired episode.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Pocket Billiards posted:

Brickleberry isn't all that bad. Call me a philistine or whatever, but I'd sooner watch an episode of that than Bob's Burgers, American Dad, Family Guy, etc.

philistine

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Seinfeld the show was frequently very good and funny, unlike Jerry Seinfeld, the man, hth

but no one is talking about jerry seinfeld the man, we're talking about seinfeld the show

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Peep show is awful. Not because it hits to close to home or some poo poo like that, but because it's awful. I don't want to live vicariously thorough a pair of weirdos. Also the main actors look too british and too smelly.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Maybe you're just not the target audience for that show. Literally all the things you describe are basically 1:1 accurate to my actual highschool experience. Also it really depends on what part of that show you're watching, a lot of the parents are actually fairly interesting characters and the ones who seem like caricatures often turn out to have interesting motivations for acting like they do (mainly Syd's dad). You're not supposed to think that the parents are clueless doofs, it's basically the opposite, it's about how a bunch of pretty normal parents have to deal with their super hosed up kids who are total dumbasses. It's played for laughs in the first episode but that's because it's supposed to communicate to you how Tony is a raging sociopath with an insanely inflated sense of self importance who manipulates people for fun. It's not the best TV in the world, but I'd say the first two seasons are decent and then the later ones are a pretty steep drop in quality, especially the last season. The actual mini series they did to tie up the loose ends was really good too, since it basically showed how all the cool special snowflake kids in the show never grew up and became ultra broken hosed up people who's lives are miserable.

It's not perfect but I'd rather watch all the worst episodes of Skins than any one episode of something like Charmed or actually legit terrible Brit teen TV like House of Anubis.

ultrabindu posted:

Yeah this is pretty much my experience of school growing up in England. For the first season or two it was a pretty accurate recreation of late teen/pre university life, afterwards it dived head first into melodrama. I can't speak for the intent of the writers but I really think you're supposed to like any of the characters, more likely you were meant to empathize with the situations they're in and watch as they responded in the worst possible ways over and over again.

This is not to say the show is good. Some of the writing, especially in the later episodes is atrocious and the acting is often comically wooden at times. You can spot the talentless, expensive drama school students a mile away, you can pretty much tell they've cast because of connections rather than through any proper audition process.

An even more honest portrayal of school life in England is The Inbetweeners. It captures more of the awkward desperation of growing up in this county when you're on the cusp of adulthood but you're still a know nothing dumbass.

no wonder your prime minister hosed a pig's head

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
AHS is like Walking Dead where it gets lots of praise despite obviously being bad.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
You're The Worst and that fairy tale show on ABC

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

General Dog posted:

For some reason I thought of Century City, a short-lived, pretty standard legal show, except it's set in THE FUTURE. I remember watching one episode and it just being meh, whatever, but check looking at the episode descripions I'm wondering how this wasn't the best show ever:

It's like a proto-Black Mirror, but like the bad episodes

Sci-fi is good at making people ponder about things, such as would you rather die or be retarded?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

TheKennedys posted:

This is UnReal and it's fantastic because every single major character, without exception is a horrible, irredeemable person and they tell you this right up front. The entire show is horrible things happening to horrible people and they bring it all on themselves, and not once does the show expect you to sympathize with them. The only decent people are the lesser characters caught in the middle of this escalating feud between terrible assholes. I love shows about awful people (as long as you're not expected to think any of them is the "good guy") though.

never heard of this show. looked up the trailer and it looks white as gently caress; especially the country rendition of 99 problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Imagined posted:

Some people leave the TV on all day so they don't feel lonely, or have to think uncomfortable thoughts. My grandmother does this, leaves QVC on 24/7. I think it's like almost a friend to her.

Personally as someone who cut the cable ten years ago it's amazing how obnoxious broadcast television is when you're not exposed to it every day. It's a very "see the fnords" feeling to watch it for me now.

Dude, visit your grandma

• Locked thread