Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Frackie Robinson posted:

This year it bascially turned into Lost, in a good way

I came here to post that LOST was the worst show because of how over-hyped and disingenuous it was. so thanks for confirming that my decision to skip The Leftovers was the right one.

I also came here to say "gently caress Damon Lindelof" but tbh he doesn't seem like a completely terrible person. he comes off as a smarter-than-you douche sometimes but saying "gently caress him" is probably overkill in a world where people like Donald Trump and Anthony Cumia exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I said LOST before because I discounted reality TV. I don't consider reality TV an actual form of media, it's just noise

so barring reality TV, yes LOST is the worst

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

post more pics of Kat Denning's tits ITT tbh

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ShaqDiesel posted:

I'm voting for "The Leftovers" again. Anyone who tells you season 2 is better than season 1 is full of it they're both garbled, hackneyed, pretentious piles of poo poo.

I also am voting for The Leftovers again, again.

Professor Wayne posted:

I can't believe Brothers Grunt was a show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t7pylCz_KM

wow

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

Brothers grunt wins. Amazing find, it was a show made from a MTV ad that an exec said "let's make this into a full show"
35 episodes.

Close thread. Great find, whomever first posted that here.

If we're pardoning Damon Lindelof's body of work then I vote for this abortion

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oh wait what's the show where a hacker is stealing secret files so two govt. hackers share a keyboard to counter-hack twice as fast, and then the old-time tech-stupid cop pulls the plug on the computer and looks really smug about it

that show. I pick that one

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

John Goodman is the best fat guy in Hollywood. Zach Gilafinakis gets honorable mention

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I can confirm that Lost, BSG, and Heroes had great first seasons, but they all sucked in their 2nd+ seasons. Heroes ran out of ideas, BSG started over-relying on one idea and hosed everything else, and it was revealed Lost had no ideas to begin with which retroactively diminished the first season as well as explaining the stupidity of the other five.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

As a Lost fan/apologist I can totally understand how people (who actually watched through the show and aren't just parroting the internet hate for it) would not like seasons 4-6, but I honestly can't see how you could say 1, 2, or 3 sucked unless that type of show just isn't for you. I mean season 2 had the hatch, man.

It might be a testament to the vast experiential difference between watching a show as it comes out versus binge-watching after the show finishes. I binge watched the show before season six, and then binged on six when it came out. I suppose the whole pull of the show is the experience after watching it; speculating with friends and online forums and so on. I thought the hatch was interesting but I honestly can't recall anything in that season outside of hatch-related things. Plus the show got ruined for me when I realized there was no point to it, and the writers were making poo poo up as they went along. It's fractal storytelling. You go deeper and you get more questions. It's founded on nothing.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

is Ariel Winter 18 or over in the most recent season of Modern Family? a-asking for a friend

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I recently rewatched season 1 and I'm amazed how much it holds up. I did not have any fun watching TD S2, however I did get some enjoyment out of the internet memes that cropped up around it. I think an HBO exec admitted to pressuring Pizzolatto to put out a script even though it wasn't finished and then rushing production. It definitely feels like season 2 would've been great if Pizzolatto or other writers had a chance to do another pass on the script, and if it wasn't so terribly miscast.

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah same

I hope that the third season draws on Raymond Chandler hard and it's a single detective, or better yet since HBO has already made a Philip Marlowe series, make an updated version

there won't be a third season

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

See that's what I thought, but then some goons said HBO really doesn't have a choice at this point, plus Nicky is paid for until '18, then Matt MaConahey started talking about how he's pushing to be in the next season

I thought I heard that both parties opted out of the contract or something, but I could be mistaken. I really hope McConaughey doesn't force himself into the script. A cameo could be fine but I'd like for the series to remain an anthology.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sherlock (the BBC television series) is kind of campy at times but it's never outright bad or, ahem, "schlocky" in my opinion... until Andrew Scott's Moriarty gets screen time. Jesus Christ his performance is god awful. Dunno if it's the direction or the acting but I really hate the take on the character.

Not a huge fan of Amanda Abbington either but she gets a pass because she's Martin Freeman's irl wife :3:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Perhaps I should have expanded my comment to say "any scene with Moriarty in it" because I agree, that was egregious. And then there's the last episode in the third series where Moriarty says "Buh-byeee!" and shoots himself in the head which got me laughing out loud because of how ludicrous it was.

Sherlock and Watson are fun to watch though. I wouldn't say the show as a whole is badly written.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I actually liked that take on Moriarty, but you guys have every right to be completely wrong.

I assume the post/username combo is not coincidence

e: I think I "get" what they were going for with this Moriarty (his performance is supposed to be unnerving, thus giving an air of menacing-below-the-surface) but it still falls flat for me.

kalel fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 22, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I've always wanted to direct a movie but then I remember that I'd have to deal with actors all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CannedMacabre posted:

I've always wanted to direct a movie but then I remember that I'm an unemployed graphic designer with no experience, training or connections to Hollywood... also actors are dicks.

lol rekt no0b me too :saddowns:

• Locked thread