Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Haha, after last week I promised myself I'd woman up and definitely enter my first Thunderdome this week, so this'll be interesting.

In with Australia, if only out of patriotic pride: http://www.sbs.com.au/programs/eurovision/article/2016/03/11/presenting-australias-2016-eurovision-song-sound-silence-dami-im

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Silence (1129 words)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EG_Jtw4OyU

You can find the story here.

Melusine fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 3, 2016

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Thunderdome Week CXCV: Inverse World

Judges:
Me, Thranguy, and curlingiron.

Prompt:
Let's go deceptively simple with this week's prompt: Take the tone and/or theme of one of your previous Thunderdome entries and clearly invert it in.

For example, if the original story is a melancholic tale of a deteriorating friendship, maybe try for the cheerful mending or forming of one. If you use your very first Thunderdome piece you get 1200 words, otherwise you get 1000. For the love of god don't just rewrite the original story, and bonus points if you spin, uh, "straw" into gold this time around. If this is your first Thunderdome, let me know and I'll provide someone else's Thunderdome piece for you to use.

Make sure you include a link to the original story, plus say what tone/theme you're about to invert so that at least we don't have to puzzle that out.

No fanfiction, no nonfiction, no erotica, no poetry, no GoogleDocs, etc etc.

Sign-up deadline: Friday, April 29, 11:59pm USA CENTRAL
Submission deadline: Sunday, May 1, 11:59pm USA CENTRAL
Word count: 1200 if you use your very first Thunderdome piece, 1000 if you don't.

Entrants:
– Goodpancakes : Original
– Carl Killer Miller
– Titus82
– Toxxupation
– a friendly penguin : Original
– sparksbloom (TOXX)
– Quidnose
– flerp (TOXX)
– Jonked : Original
– SurreptitiousMuffin : Original
– Ironic Twist : Original
– ThatGuyStoneSoup : Original
– kurona_bright

Melusine fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 3, 2016

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Goodpancakes posted:

I'll do one. First thunder dome. Send me a story

Here you go, the winner of Thunderdome CIII: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598931&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=120#post432759710

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

CANNIBAL GIRLS posted:

Yo can I pretend that this is my first dome and just rewrite someone else's story?

Sorry, no can do. It seems like you've got a few different entries to choose from though, so you should be okay :)

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

a friendly penguin posted:

Count me in but this is my first Thunderdome (curse my husband for throwing me in) so I am requesting a story to invert.

Here you go! The CXXXIX Winner: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691539&perpage=40&pagenumber=49#post443691067

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

ThatGuyStoneSoup posted:

I'm in. I'm a new guy, please send me something to mangle.

Here you go! Thunderdome CLXXVII Winner: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691539&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=175#post454305317

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Sign-ups for Week CXCV are CLOSED!

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

:siren: Submissions are closed! :siren:

Good job to everyone who entered a piece this week! Hopefully you should see the results sometime between Monday night and Tuesday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Thunderdome Week CXCV Results

This week the prompt was to invert an existing story, but unfortunately I neglected to mention that you guys probably shouldn't be inverting quality. The judges agreed that this week wasn't Thunderdome's lowest low, but Thranguy didn't think he'd seen lower highs. This didn't have to be the case, so if there's something that everyone should take away it's edit and revise!

With that said:

THE WINNER: Congratulations to Ironic Twist! Your spider-story grabs the reader from the start, and was far more interesting than I thought a story about a spider living inside someone's head could be. Arachnophobes might want to give this one a miss, but myself and the other judges are giving it the win.

THE LOSER is unfortunately new arrival Goodpancakes. Although your story was lacklustre regardless, missing the prompt and serving up a story far too close to being a rewrite of the original sealed your inverted crown.

DISHONOURABLE MENTIONS: Our first DM goes to Toxxupation. Satire and humour are tricky business in any medium, especially writing, and your work didn't quite rise above that genre's chaff. ThatGuyStoneSoup earns the other DM, typifying this week in how your lack of editing made this story a muddle of confusing chronology.

That all said: thanks to everyone who participated and took on this week's prompt, even if a lot of your stories didn't quite get there. Practice makes perfect!

Ironic Twist, I cede the throne to you.

• Locked thread