Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Titus82 posted:

In with a :toxx:

Crabby, hit me with a flashrule.

in your story all drugs have stopped working and everybody has to go through life stone cold sober. this includes caffeine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

The other 50% should be cookie recipe, obviously

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

wow new guys, way to really be annoying as gently caress

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Mercedes posted:

In. Flash rule. :toxx:

your two characters are not in the same physical location as each other.

Thranguy posted:

In, and flash rule me as well.

one of your characters is experiencing something for the first time (a physical action, not an emotion)

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Ironic Twist posted:

In. Flash, please.

one of your chars just got bad news, and the other char doesn't know at the beginning of your story

SIGNUPS CLOSED

judge spot still open, assuming seb takes the other like he offered.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

1.5 hours to go.

Still need another judge if somebody out there in TD land hates themselves enough. thanks muffin

crabrock fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 4, 2016

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Submissions closed

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Friends til' the End (476 words)

Sitting Here posted:

No editing your story once you’ve posted it! As soon as you hit ‘submit’, a massive orbital fist is aimed strategically at your rear end in a top hat. Anyone who edits a submission post gets a fistin’ (and is disqualified for the week).

you are DQed

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

stop pandering

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

:siren: Results for Week 191: Y'all Talk Bad, Actually :siren:

So first off this week, I didn't DQ anybody for breaking my "rules." Those "rules" were there to get you to be conscious about your language and choose good words rather than resorting to lovely short back and forth quips and/or long strings of profanity. For the most part, you guys did accomplish at least that much. I did DQ Carl Killer Mike because he edited his story like a god drat newb. So let this serve as a reminder/warning to you: don't do that. Also if it happens don't whine about it on the internet like a little bitch.

There were some stories that seemed to ignore the spirit of my prompt, which was to have an engaging and deep conversation with subtext and meaning. First-time domer Kharmakozy and should-have-known-better veteran Titus82 turned in the exact opposite of this, with stuff that was so painfully obvious it hurt the judges to read. Enjoy your DMs.

The worst story this week was easily Jocoserious. In addition to this plot being utterly boring and cliche, there is not one redeemable line of dialogue in this whole story. It's literally just "dad jokes" from space monsters. In judge chat we called it "Cosmic Dads." You should be ashamed of yourself.

On the flip side, a few people wrote stories that hinted at more than what was on the page. These stories had characters that felt real and relationships that felt established. It wasn't just people talking about their current predicament, but talking about something larger and more meaningful than just that 5 minute window into their lives. GrizzledPatriarch wrote something about a cult or an angel or whatever, i'm not sure. Muffin and Seb liked this a lot more than I did. A LOT more. I was a bit annoyed at the format, which feels like cheating, but I think up until they read the winner, you were their choice, so have your HM. anime was right wrote some real good dialogue, though he hit the white male privilege a little too on the nose, which kept this out of the top spot. Flerp wrote a weird, bittersweet story about some hosed up people either in love or about to be. Not really sure, but they felt like people stuck in a moment, that really never went much further than that but was still able to capture something.

When IRC was chatting about the rules re: cussing, sparksbloom lamented her failure to read that rule. I hadn't even noticed the cuss words in her story. That's because they weren't just swears for the sake of swears. They weren't filler as a crutch for something. Cause she wrote a piece that captured the very essence of what we were looking for this week, which was two people having an excellent conversation. The conversation mattered. The people mattered. In the end, I don't know where those two are going to end up, but I'm glad I got to see a part of their lives. So sparks, take your win and....

"PROOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMPT," he screamed.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Jocoserious posted:

Cosmic Catch-Up
467 Words

Dialogue Crit: Google Doc

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Sitting Here posted:

STORY FOR MY BRAWL AGAINST TWIST

Monsters in the Mouths of Babes
1499 words

Ironic Twist posted:

PRANK BRWAL

Style Points
1275 words

SH:

Your opening is worldbuildy as all hell. "I decided it would be" don't like this non-reason. So I challenged you to write a story with an active character, and so far all this dude has done is sit around, pick at his sock, watch other people do stuff, and then decide to go stack rocks. WHY DO YOU WRITE ALL THESE PEOPLE JUST OBSERVING OTHERS LIVE THEIR LIFE WHILE THEY DO PRACTICALLY NOTHING. It can be fun, sometimes, to observe things through the eyes of an impartial observer, but not ALL THE TIME. Also i said your char should have their poo poo put together, but here is a kid from a divorced home, new school, and no friends, no apparent hobbies, and no real drive to speak of yet. I feel like you're knocking over your own pile of rocks.

second part is just his fantasies of being useful/liked, but hasn't actually done anything.

third section is more about the 2 girls than him. also the mother's absence seems contrived. I feel like you're setting up to say he really is a monster or something? Like there's a reason the mom/anybody else isn't seeing him?

"That’s all her and Mom were, just sounds." I like this line.

Ok all done. So here are my thoughts: I like the narrative arc (for the most part) of the prank, the lonliness/feeling like a monster, then his redemption and feeling human again. The problem is that you didn't sell the part where he was a monster. I never really understood WHY he felt like a monster. He didn't do anything wrong or bad. He just kinda moped and broke things. I feel reworking that part would make this a lot stronger. Like if he'd done something to make him think he was a monster. something the girls knew/saw and were reacting to. Something in the beginning of the story that made this char do more than just watch the two friends.

The last scene with the step dad in the hot tub. This wasn't pulled off very well imo, because it just feels like standard boilerplate pedo creep stuff. I wish you'd done something to make it feel like your own, or at least fit it with the theme somehow.

Twist:

Well you definitely win the opening sentence. "like the steak knife that had pierced June’s neck." you're forcing it.

I like this. The ending is a tiny little bit anti-cliamtic, and could be tweaked, but overall it was an engaging read and I understood everything! It had just enough style/flavor to make it feel real, but not so much that I got lost in it. Also, I see what you did there.

Overall:

You guys both met the larger prompt. Twist did a better job of meeting his challenge, and also told a better story. SH your char was still a bit of a do-nothing whiney pants for the first 2/3rds of the story. I'm glad he came around in the end, but it was a little too late.

Winner: Ironic Twist

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Kharmakazy posted:

Clothes Make The Man
Word count: Some

Count your words.

Dialogue Crit: Google Docs

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Maugrim posted:

Green - good dialogue
Yellow - middling dialogue
Orange/Red - bad/terribad/cliché dialogue
Black - non-dialogue so he's not paying attention to it

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Butts Butts Glub Butts

also in

crabrock fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 7, 2016

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Titus82 posted:

Addiction 101
Word count: 500

Dialogue Crit: Google Doc

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

but not me in
1195 Words

http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/?story=4676&title=but+not+me+in

crabrock fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 14, 2016

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

we're too lazy to do it in the thread; we do it in IRC all day long.

anyway, for those of you who care about this sort of thing: the archive can now store your crits!

Go to your author page, which looks a little different now. Hover over the options for that story and see all the actions you can take with that story. Favorite and Lock have been moved here as well (now favorited stories show up as a yellow background). You can hide/favorite off-prompt stories now, too.

The third option is crits. Click it to be taken to your crit page for that story.

Click the "add new" link, click the person that gave you the crit, paste in the crit, and save it. If you're ahead of the curve and we don't have the crit count archived yet, you can just type in the name of the Critter.

And blamo, there you go. Now you can see your crits. You'll see all the crits on one page, and you can edit the crit by clicking the person's name.

Have fun!

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

WHATD YOU DO

nah, that does seem to be an issue. i'll check on it when i get home. of course i tested inputing 1 crit and was like "it works!"

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

in for my 100th thunderdome entry.

flash me

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Maugrim posted:

I think I broke it crabs. I added one crit for one of my stories and now I can't add a second for the same story.

We apologise for the fault in the
archive. Those responsible have been
sacked.

Maugrim posted:

While you're at it please could you add a way to fix it when you gently caress up and attribute a crit to the wrong person? Asking for a friend.

We apologise again for the fault in the
archive. Those responsible for sacking
the people who have just been sacked,
have been sacked.

(these have been fixed)

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I Didn't Start the Fire
1649 words

http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/?story=4692&title=I+Didn%27t+Start+the+Fire

crabrock fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 14, 2016

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Afterwards he invited me to comb him. I did, all over.

I combed his buttocks especially, where the hair was fine and lighter than the rest of his body.

The sensuous combing made some sex happen again.

It made me sad to return home to my wife after the conference was over.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Well, TD is fun, and v helpful, but I think it's time for me to move on for the time being. 100 stories is a lot.

:toxx: won't enter TD again until I get a paying acceptance from a lit mag.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Daphnaie posted:

Silence (1140 words)

Kaishai posted:

THE WINNER: Welcome to Thunderdome and the Thunderthrone, Daphnaie!

http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/newjudge.php

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

u read good?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

you retain your copyright, but other venues may consider posting in thunderdome as "previously published," if your idea is to publish it later.

Others argue that a little-read forum behind a paywall isn't really "publication," per se, which is what most people here seem to believe.

Either way, no rights are transferred. Who would they even be transferred to? The thunderdome cabal?

One note: your story will be archived in the TD archive, but that is also not accessible by the public, and you can hide your stories even from other domers whenever you'd like.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

SteveHarveyOswald posted:

in. hit me with a thing. :toxx:

benny

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

do you get to masturbate yet?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

lol

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

it's like somebody made benny the snake and cache cab have a child, and it came out retarded.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

monday people: maybe you don't write ABOUT potatoes, but I will be pretty loving disappointed if potatoes don't feature in your story in at least some way. Just fyi.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Grammar Mercy: -1 Mistake

For the first person to quote this, I will ignore one grammar mistake in your story that I would have otherwise held against you.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

ok you can have it too. man you sure got me angry.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Noah posted:

in.

ps. i finished my grad program last week. woop.

congratulations. do we call you master noah or doctor noah?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Arivia posted:

Hello. I was the loser of the very first Thunderdome. Someone sent me a message saying I was invited to come back for the 200th anniversary. Let's see if the judging has improved from the idiot TVTropes rejects it was at the beginning. I'm in.

they've just been replaced with a different sort of reject.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

we have lowered the bar a LOT since those fine first days.

it's on the ground.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

just laying there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I