Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks to Grizzled Patriarch and sparksbloom for volunteering to judge this week. We will try to be the fastest and goodest judges around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I'll close registrations tonight at 11:59pm PST.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Signups closed! Look forward to your submissions.

newtestleper fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 29, 2016

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Submissions closed!

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Thunderdome CCXXI Judgement.

So overall this was a pretty good week! I woefully neglected to write up anything about what makes for good short short fiction, but for the most part people got the concept. There was a significant amount of nice prose, open narrative, and even some very complete stories wrapped up in such few words. All in all the soggy middle was a little firmer than usual (thanks for that one sparksbloom).

I will say that there were some good stories that hit on most notes but missed on a few, that narrowly missed out on honorable mentions. I will also say that y'all did so little failing! Well done!

Before we get into the judging proper I'll get this over with since everyone has been gossiping about it. The judges hereby bestow the special award of
fanfic to The Feast by Hammer Bro.
Were this story bad enough to DM it surely would have. As it was it was a perfectly functional joke entry and couldn't live up to the badness of the bottom of the field. We're nonetheless honouring it in its own special way.

Next we have Honourable mentions, four of them.
Kotjebi by Fleta Mcgurn was a great second entry to the dome. This story made all the judges feel a thing, and was in very close contention for the win.
Deep Sky by Sitting Here is a weird and beautiful inversion, a truly different way of looking at the world.
Birdsong by steeltoedsneakers was micro-length spec-fic done right. Rich details, and a structure that mimicked the way the slow reclamation of the country.
Junk by Dr. Kloctopussy had a measured melancholy that stood out in a week marred by too much grim darkness.

Now there are five Dishonourable mentions
Cuckoo by Crab Destroyer extracted an incredibly lifeless and dull story out of a potentially interesting series of events. An insipid exercise in telling.
Passenger Pigeons by a friendly penguin was just a dull story with a trite message. Exactly as interesting as sitting in a traffic jam.
Squawk at Night by widespread showed little respect for the few words it had, and was an utter non-sequitur to boot.
Flying Machines managed to spend 250 words to say a bird fell off a desk. I wasn't expecting people to try to fit too little into this weeks stories. Also clarity issues.
From Loaf to Crumbs by anime was right was the only story to get a mention through head judge fiat. I particularly hated how muddy the prose was, though none of the judges really had much of an idea what was going on.

Despite how bad all of those stories were, there is still a loss to hand out.
Trickle-Down Economics by BeefSupreme loses for a terrible and unfunny joke entry. The dialect was cliche from the start, and things only went downhill from there. Bird poop is called guano btw. Of all the entries this week, I think this was the only one that didn't try to be more than just an anecdote.

Which brings us to our very worthy Winner!
Twittering Machines by flerp was a delightfully weird take on the prompt, that was not only strange but strangely moving, too. We loved your fantastic, useless metal birds, sad and ridiculous and extremely well written as they are. It had me from 'playstation controllers,' and never let me go.

PRRRROOOOOOOOOMMMMMPPPPPTTTTTT

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
In

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
My favourite writer is Donald Barthelme, who writes in a very surreal style. He's not a 'big S' Surrealist, but he does use many of their techniques, particularly a deadpan approach to the absurd. Here's one of his more famous stories.

Donald Barthelme - The Balloon

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I wrote one as well, which was accepted. But nepotism so...

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Hey guys, just want to give you a heads up that the new issue of Flash Frontier will be going up in the next 24 hours, with a bunch of people's stories in it.

It's no big deal but if you could edit your stories out of the thunderdome thread that would be great, just as a courtesy (not that I believe the editor would ever know that they're here).

Thanks!

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Boaz-Jachim posted:

Thunderdome Week 224 Results

Were there any HM's?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

sebmojo posted:

judge timezone troll game: strong

Next time use ACDT please!

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
prompt tardy

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

flerp posted:

im gay 4 prompts

Who's to say prompts are male?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
In

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Hawklad posted:

Also, appreciate the crits, Sitting Here!

...and is this the appropriate time to start groveling for judges?

I'll judge. Some stuff has come up that has made entering not very convenient but judging would be good.

• Locked thread